Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did the guy in Thinner order a ton of pizza? Seems like something he might do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

feedmyleg posted:

In what horror films do characters order pizza?

So far I've got Slumber Party Massacre, House 4, Nightmare on Elm Street 4, and House of the Devil.

There's a list here https://letterboxd.com/holliehorror/list/dontorder-a-pizza/

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I've been curious about Mike's Murder ever since I heard about it years ago, but also reluctant to actually watch it knowing that it was originally meant to be shown chronologically backwards, kinda like Memento, before the studio mandated it be reversed. I've always felt like I'd be missing out on something if I watched it as is, so I'm wondering if anyone's ever edited it to how it was originally intended and/or is the released version still worth watching?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When they write subtitles for a movie or show, does the person writing them have a script to work from? I only ask because I've been watching Bleach on Hulu lately, and I've noticed some of the subs are either completely wrong or they say [unintelligable] when you can actually understand what is being said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

When they write subtitles for a movie or show, does the person writing them have a script to work from? I only ask because I've been watching Bleach on Hulu lately, and I've noticed some of the subs are either completely wrong or they say [unintelligable] when you can actually understand what is being said.

Subtitles and dubs in Anime often vary quite a bit because the have different priorities in the translation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

It's a complete crap shoot with every show.

Sometimes the Japanese licensor will provide a literal translation. Sometimes they don't. The literal translations that are provided are generally unusable for subtitles so someone has to be hired to rewrite them into something that makes sense in English. Usually US distributors will take some semblance of care when translating and writing subs for physical media, but for streaming I get the sense that they're much more fast and loose with quality control. I have no idea what Bleach's licensing situation is, but if it was sub-licensed from a US distributor, sometimes subtitle tracks for shows that were previously released in English get lost because of the huge workloads that some anime studios are slaving under. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to redo the subs in a rush.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 18, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They should hire whoever makes the subtitles on all the TV shows I download. They do an amazing job and I have no idea how it gets done so quick after airing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Generally yes. One of production's deliverables is a dialogue list to be used for dubbing/subtitling, which lists all dialogue actually spoken with very accurate time codes. The leading provider is a company called Sapex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In Denmark we sub everything (except for stuff for like 5 year olds, that's mostly dubbed).

Generally they're very good, but a few times I've noticed that some shows must have been subbed by ear. One example I remember is The Simpsons, in an episode where Homer is confused, I think he thinks Bart is Lisa or something. Anyway Bart says "I'm Bart" but the subtitles were "Jeg keder mig" = "I'm bored".

Mostly the bad quality subs I've noticed were from Viasat channel TV3 which also often had very Swedish or Norwegian sounding subtitles, which leads me to believe they have one person do subs in one language & then they translate directly from those into the two other languages. The public service DR and TV2 have great subs.

I had my doubts about Netflix when they first arrived (I figured they wouldn't bother at all), but their subs have been very high quality.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

There was a movie I watched ages ago that had a subplot in the subtitles that didnt exist in the dub. We had subs on over the dub, movie was (I think) a low budget japanese movie with time travel or dimension hopping or something similar. Except in the subtitles the main character kept talking about how another character looked familiar, but he couldnt remember where from, a plot which was entirely missing from the dub. It was kind of funny in a bizarre way.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 18, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

They should hire whoever makes the subtitles on all the TV shows I download. They do an amazing job and I have no idea how it gets done so quick after airing.

I’ve seen one site that works like a farm, they have level one people doing the basics as fast as possible then level two people checking over it and a further level checking it all fits (from memory). You can download the file prior to it being officially finished too, impressive stuff.

Some of the Korean translations I’ve seen for shows including music cues and cultural hints are amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of subtitles

In the Syfy Dune miniseries they showed the Bene Gesserit having a secret way of communicating in public. They would carry on a verbal conversation about germane topics, but they'd simultaneously use sign language to have their "real" conversation about espionage and political intrigue, which was subtitled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xjQbd4qRY

It was stupid. People are going to see you using sign language.

They should have had the germane conversation verbally, but with subtitles to the "real" conversation about spy talk, no sign language BS. A language that is entirely made up of innuendo would have actually been impressive. Yeah, most audiences would have had the entire thing fly over their heads but screw them!

QUESTION: is this in the books?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
More famous subtitles in history:
https://youtu.be/djKPvXDwXcs

And someone in another thread said some animes in the 90's didnt send scripts or they were lost, so the localizers made them up to match what was happening. Samurai pizza cats was one of them iirc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The new Star Trek uses a fancy font for it's subtitles and it's so distracting.

A Klingon would never speak in a serif font. IMPACT all the way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of subtitles

In the Syfy Dune miniseries they showed the Bene Gesserit having a secret way of communicating in public. They would carry on a verbal conversation about germane topics, but they'd simultaneously use sign language to have their "real" conversation about espionage and political intrigue, which was subtitled.

They should have had the germane conversation verbally, but with subtitles to the "real" conversation about spy talk, no sign language BS. A language that is entirely made up of innuendo would have actually been impressive. Yeah, most audiences would have had the entire thing fly over their heads but screw them!

I am pretty certain that in the books the Bene Gesserit do have a secret sign language, known only to them, which is used to communicate in exactly that way. I think it was supposed to be more subtle than in the miniseries.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

I am pretty certain that in the books the Bene Gesserit do have a secret sign language, known only to them, which is used to communicate in exactly that way. I think it was supposed to be more subtle than in the miniseries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGyErqEIgQ

Next question: has there ever been a movie where two characters had a conversation and the subtitles had a completely different conversation in the way that I would like to see? (Not counting mistakes in distribution)

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGyErqEIgQ

Next question: has there ever been a movie where two characters had a conversation and the subtitles had a completely different conversation in the way that I would like to see? (Not counting mistakes in distribution)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYTVl0iOkk

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JduADWt0XMI

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1TlAd6M-xU&t=4s

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 19, 2017

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZlWw8Di10

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

As I remember it, is mostly used in cases where you're alone, but suspect someone is listening in. They wouldn't be able to see their hands.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oddly enough I’ve heard that the English dubs of the Japanese Iron Chef are the gold standards of translations. They get accents; regional dialects and idioms perfectly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

u brexit ukip it posted:

As I remember it, is mostly used in cases where you're alone, but suspect someone is listening in. They wouldn't be able to see their hands.

I also thought it was just really slow, where they'd say like one sentence throughout the course of a verbal conversation, but I could be misremembering. I haven't read those books in over a decade.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of subtitles

I remember in the original book the Atreides family had a set of code words to communicate during more public conversations, like a simpler version of that innuendo-language you talk about. The one I remember was "garment" meant "prepare for violence."

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

I remember in the original book the Atreides family had a set of code words to communicate during more public conversations, like a simpler version of that innuendo-language you talk about. The one I remember was "garment" meant "prepare for violence."

There were several secret languages/codes in the book: Harkonnen battle code, Count Fenring's humming language with his wife, The Bene Gesserit had more than one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Afriscipio posted:

There were several secret languages/codes in the book: Harkonnen battle code, Count Fenring's humming language with his wife, The Bene Gesserit had more than one.

I think you were just young and didn't understand what "getting hummers from my wife" meant.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What other movies/tv shows use this trope?

Everyone In Bustling Chinese Parade Attempting To Elude Pursuers

It happens in the first episode of Iron Fist, and I'm trying to remember other examples, but all I could find was this Onion article. I know I've seen it before, but I'm drawing a blank.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Mulan.

Also, I think one of the Kung Fu Pandas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think there are several in James Bond, this is the first to come to mind, even though it's not quite the same:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZPZWZDlkaY

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Jade has a walking speed car chase that goes through a bustling Chinese carnival, if you want a twist on that

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Fugitive, Blackhat, Showdown in Little Tokyo, Blowout, A Lonely Place to Die, Moonraker, and Spectre come to mind. Also probably a few more James Bond movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lester Shy posted:

What other movies/tv shows use this trope?

Everyone In Bustling Chinese Parade Attempting To Elude Pursuers

It happens in the first episode of Iron Fist, and I'm trying to remember other examples, but all I could find was this Onion article. I know I've seen it before, but I'm drawing a blank.

Jackie Chan has one of these in First Strike. Awesome scene where he has to move and fight on stilts.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lethal Weapon 4, not a parade but an extra chinese guy who runs from cops

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Year of the Dragon, I think. For sure it starts with a parade, but I remember someone escaping through another parade later.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When did movies stop looking like they were shot on stages and start looking like they were shot in the real life?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

When did movies stop looking like they were shot on stages and start looking like they were shot in the real life?

uh.... do you mean when did stages start being passable for real life? because otherwise the answer is that "movies not shot on stages didn't look like they were on stages." Dating back to the silent film era.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, when did stages start selling the illusion of being the real life? Was it a piece of technology, was it decisions in lighting? Is there a range of years when there was a marked difference? What were some of the earliest films to sell the illusion?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, when did stages start selling the illusion of being the real life? Was it a piece of technology, was it decisions in lighting? Is there a range of years when there was a marked difference? What were some of the earliest films to sell the illusion?

I can't answer your question, but I have a companion question: What are examples of films where stages sell the image of "real life"? I feel like I recognize stages vs actual outdoors even in films made in the last few decades...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm I'll have to think about my question a little more actually. It's just a general feeling I have that the overall look of films looked less phony after the 60's, but maybe it's just that films are shooting on actual locations more often and on stages less often?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 21, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm I'll have to think about my question a little more actually. It's just a general feeling I have that the overall look of films looked less phony after the 60's, but maybe it's just that films are shooting on actual locations more often and on stages less often?

There's plenty of older films that I think have realistic looking sets, it just wasn't always a priority. Part of it is probably not just the sets themselves, but use of camera framing and blocking. Some Noir films look a lot more lived in than their contemporaries for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I should also clarify that for some reason "real life" made me think of exterior shots. So I wasn't thinking in terms of interior sets. So sorry if I came off as snarky.