Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nanny Pu'Pu

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Serf posted:

Nanny Pu'Pu

Dude that's just what people look like in Chult. What can they even do about that? Write about a setting where black people don't wear skulls around their necks?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just to inform you That is much less racist then you would think. Nanny Pu'pu there is actually a Green hag. Which is a literal baby eating monster.

Even in Human forms they like to make themselves look ugly and creepy.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 18, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Becklespinax posted:

I like Rusty Quill which I never see recommended. It's a little bit more structured than TAZ but I like the whole setting and character building they've got going on, plus it's pretty funny.

I've been listening to their non-gaming horror podcast recently, so I may have to check this out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to inform you. That is much less racist then you would think. Nanny Pu'pu there is actually a Green hag. Which is a literal baby eating monster.

It's super less racist, it eats children is....an interesting position to take on this one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's super less racist, it eats children is....an interesting position to take on this one.

Well she does not actually look like that. Hags like to take on creepy forms with bones everywhere and such. Honestly Nanny Pu'pu there is no different then every other D&D hag in how she is being presented.

Hags cover their lairs with bones and creepy charms and the such.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 18, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to inform you That is much less racist then you would think. Nanny Pu'pu there is actually a Green hag. Which is a literal baby eating monster.

Even in Human forms they like to make themselves look ugly and creepy.

Just to inform you That is just as racist as I think.

I know your gimmick is to eat WotC rear end 24/7 but you don’t have to do this. Don’t go to bat for racism.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serf posted:

Just to inform you That is just as racist as I think.

I know your gimmick is to eat WotC rear end 24/7 but you don’t have to do this. Don’t go to bat for racism.

How is it racist when that person is not even a human.

This is the average hag lair

Like you are trying to say that is racist because that person is black. When that person is not even black. And all hags look like that.

That article is just trying to find stuff to be bugged about. Nanny Pu'pu is the only person in chult that looks like that, and she is not even a chultan.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 18, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, if you think about it, it's super cool to just murder all the orcs including the women and children. It's not like they're people.

Racism is literally about dehumanization, you dip.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, if you think about it, it's super cool to just murder all the orcs including the women and children. It's not like they're people.

Hags are not people they are Demons and Fey. Like the hag that made the gingerbread house to try and eat Hansel and Gretel.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If you can't see the problem with "this isn't racist because it depicts a terrifying monster that JUST SO HAPPENS to look like a racist caricature of an african person" on your own, you're too loving stupid to understand anyone's explanation of why it is, in fact, racist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also maybe you guys should read the book instead of believing a biased article.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also maybe you guys should read the book instead of believing a biased article.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to inform you. Those first three quotes are referring to 4e Chult. None of that is in Tomb of Annihilation. I don't believe stuff like that is even mentioned. Other then the Chultans taking control of the Port back.

Or maybe you should read the book, but we all know that won't actually happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

If you can't see the problem with "this isn't racist because it depicts a terrifying monster that JUST SO HAPPENS to look like a racist caricature of an african person" on your own, you're too loving stupid to understand anyone's explanation of why it is, in fact, racist.

I can't see it because all Hags make themselves look like that. She is no different then every other hag depicted in D&D.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Or maybe you should read the book, but we all know that won't actually happen.

I have read the book. As mentioned none of that stuff quoted is in the book.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah you'd think skulls and bones voodoo witches and cannibalism aren't stereotypical at all and weren't shorthand for 'backwards island savages'.
Monsterenvy the pile of dead on this hill overshadow it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to inform you. Those first three quotes are referring to 4e Chult. None of that is in Tomb of Annihilation. I don't believe stuff like that is even mentioned. Other then the Chultans taking control of the Port back.

As they said Chult has changed quite a bit in Tomb of Annihilation.

MonsterEnvy posted:

"Chultans" are still described as "Chultans are the human natives of Chult. They have dark skin, black hair, and a rich culture." Additionally, there are 32 references to pygmies and 9 to cannibals in the new book.

"Port Nyanzaru is a bastion of civilization and commerce in a savage land" pg 15

"Among themselves, all Chultans still speak their own tribal languages (a mix of exhaled and inhaled vowels, consonants, and tongue clicks),..." pg 12.

Also, and I poo poo you not, pg 191 has "Anthropologist" as a background.

"You have always been fascinated by other cultures,
from the most ancient and primeval lost lands to the
most modern civilizations. By studying other cultures'
customs, philosophies, laws, rituals, religious beliefs,
languages, and art, you have learned how tribes, empires,
and all forms of society in between craft their own
destinies and doom. This knowledge came to you not
only through books and scrolls, but also through firsthand
observation- by visiting far-flung settlements and
exploring local histories and customs. "

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm sorry the mean witch offended you, can I offer you a box of kleenex?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't see it because all Hags make themselves look like that. She is no different then every other hag depicted in D&D.

Actually Hags don't exist dude. The people who write this choose exactly what hags do and do not do. There is nothing they can't decide with the stroke of a pen, and they chose to stroke their pens and spurt out with this racist poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

slap me and kiss me posted:

"Chultans" are still described as "Chultans are the human natives of Chult. They have dark skin, black hair, and a rich culture." Additionally, there are 32 references to pygmies and 9 to cannibals in the new book.

"Port Nyanzaru is a bastion of civilization and commerce in a savage land" pg 15

"Among themselves, all Chultans still speak their own tribal languages (a mix of exhaled and inhaled vowels, consonants, and tongue clicks),..." pg 12.

The Noble Adventurer
Bringing the ever vaunted murderhobo way of life to the savage frontier

Holy poo poo all of this is mired in classical 'savage in deepest darkest africa' stereotype bullshit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Maltose posted:

you'll find that this is explicitly true. *brandishes holy avenger*

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Missed the line about Chultan language that is my mistake. But were are their references to pygmies.

Yes Chult is a savage land full of Dinosaurs and Jungle. That was not one of the quotes I dismissed.

Whats wrong with Anthropology

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiteski posted:

Actually Hags don't exist dude. The people who write this choose exactly what hags do and do not do. There is nothing they can't decide with the stroke of a pen, and they chose to stroke their pens and spurt out with this racist poo poo.

I know they don't exist.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Invading the homes of, killing and taking the property of the Other is baked into D&D's DNA.

Anyone who's ever played this game has the blood of hundreds of centuries of rape and murder on their hands.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Missed the line about Chultan language that is my mistake. But were are their references to pygmies.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know they don't exist.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't see it because all Hags make themselves look like that.

There you go dude. That's the point you missed in my post

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gizmojumpjet posted:

Invading the homes of, killing and taking the property of the Other is baked into D&D's DNA.

Anyone who's ever played this game has the blood of hundreds of centuries of rape and murder on their hands.

Not me. My warrior picked the social justice martial archetype

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

This is the same thing as this

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ctrl-F "pygmie"

Pg 84, 93, 95, 101, 104, 195, 203, 204, 233 and, 234

MonsterEnvy posted:

Whats wrong with Anthropology

"Hello primitive humans, I am here to study you."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

No dude those are two different pictures

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Why are hags mean and evil all the time? Surely that's offensive to ugly women.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ctrl-F "pygmie"

Pg 84, 93, 95, 101, 104, 195, 203, 204, 233 and, 234

Ahh I see the mistake here.

It's refering to these things Vegepygmies/ Mold Folk.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No dude those are two different pictures

It's the same type of creature. A fey Hag.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ahh I see the mistake here.

It's refering to these things Vegepygmies/ Mold Folk.

Just because they slapped "vege" on the front doesn't mean that they're on the side of angels.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not me. My warrior picked the social justice martial archetype

you'd better be overthrowing monarchies left and right

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

The first is straight out of My Adventures Amongst The Cannibal Pygmies of Most Savage Africa.

The second one looks like a someone's grandmother got dipped in FEV.

Seriously how do you not get this.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

The first is straight out of My Adventures Amongst The Cannibal Pygmies of Most Savage Africa.

The second one looks like a someone's grandmother got dipped in FEV.

Seriously how do you not get this.

MonsterEnvy, photo undated:

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Neither of those things are real. They were made up by people. One of them is a racist caricature summoned up from centuries of colonialism. The other appears to be a bog-standard fantasy being. Maybe its racist against the villain of True Detective?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

And yet only one of the two pictures features art that is almost out of a 1880s textbook on eugenics and the primitiveness of the Nubians or something. Huh.

It's almost as if the depiction is racist imagery in and of itself, and that WotC paid for it. For a book that is part of their current edition, which touts itself as "inclusive" and "progressive".

Like others have said, we all know it's your gimmick to eat 5e's rear end, but it's okay. They gently caress up sometimes. Sometimes their gestures really display just how much of their progressiveness is performative rather than genuine. They want to have their pie (positive press from progressiveness) and to eat it too (changing absolutely nothing about their stuff that is rooted in definitely NOT progressive stuff).

It just reeks of "Oh she's actually a 1000 years old dragon" or "I don't see race, I hate humans in general" kinda bullshit for some reason.

Again, I get it, you defend 5e, for whatever reason, so I don't expect you to actually parse any of this, but hey, might as well you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serf posted:

Nanny Pu'Pu

Serperoth posted:

It just reeks of "Oh she's actually a 1000 years old dragon"

I came here to post this, MonsterEnvy, this is exactly the same as 'Oh no its okay to sexualise the child looking character because in their background they are actually 1000 years old!

Seriously as someone who was just trying to engage you over dumb rules minutia, this is not the thing you want to be lining up to defend

kingcom fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 18, 2017