Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Hedrigall posted:

Is Thimbleweed Park worth the price?

I found it to be incredibly boring. To me adventure games are a lot of fun in part because of their edgy humour, Thimbleweed Park seems like it was written to appeal to a massive group of overly sensitive politically correct wussies. It gets a lot of the point and click adventure game tropes right, the presentation is solid, but you're better off playing something funny.

Now I sound like I only like potty humour, so I recommend Leisure Suit Larry, Sam and Max, or literally just about anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Huh I didn’t realize EO5 is out. I feel weird playing a 3ds game after the switch though, that resolution is
So bad

I did as well my dude but if you like EO it's absolutely worth going back to 240p.

I'm barely one floor in but so far it just feels slick and polished all over. The presentation is so nice that you forget about the resolution quickly enough. I'm excited to have it as my go to title while my switch quietly awaits the arrival of Mario Odyssey.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
All you fat hand people need to open-palm slam some barbells, the joycon are actually the Perfect Controller (separate, of course). Straps are fine but I stopped using them a few days in.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

If Forces is as good as Generations then I'll definitely buy it because Generations was really great. However, Sonic Team has more than demonstrated that they mostly just throw things at a dart-board when it comes to their mainline Sonic games so I will not be even a little surprised if it comes out as a turd. The "create-a-character" seems to be an attempt to draw in their insane, deviant-art fanbase which might indicate the game is poo poo otherwise.

As someone who really liked generations and has been following the release of forces, it looks like a marked step backwards

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Drunk Tomato posted:

All you fat hand people need to open-palm slam some barbells, the joycon are actually the Perfect Controller (separate, of course). Straps are fine but I stopped using them a few days in.

I can almost close a Captains of Crush #2 gripper and I still think it's not great. It's ultimately a compromise design, and there's nothing specifically wrong with that — it just has some downsides.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Agreed, I’m 6’9 and they ar fine

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

psutify posted:

If they’ve withered and browned you cant save them, no.
During thunderstorms there is a chance lightning will strike your crops, you can put up lightning rods to prevent that. Thats the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would cause that.

Weird. I had a bunch of browned plants that looked like they were dead but I kept watering because I couldn’t be sure (some had brown stalks but green leaves, others all brown) and I ended up with them bearing fruit. I think all were from random mixed seeds.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

I found it to be incredibly boring. To me adventure games are a lot of fun in part because of their edgy humour, Thimbleweed Park seems like it was written to appeal to a massive group of overly sensitive politically correct wussies. It gets a lot of the point and click adventure game tropes right, the presentation is solid, but you're better off playing something funny.

Now I sound like I only like potty humour, so I recommend Leisure Suit Larry, Sam and Max, or literally just about anything else.
i thought the first half of it was on par with any of the classic point+click games but it goes off the rails really badly in the 2nd half, just a complete tonal shift from a fun lucasarts-meets-twin-peaks mystery to a botched self-parody.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

whaley posted:

It's funny you mention that because lots of Splatoon's developers were from the Animal Crossing team https://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/15/the-splatoon-team-consists-of-the-core-animal-crossing-team/

hell yeah love to get validation on my video game thoughts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looks like Taloon Torneko's son has grown up and joined the family business.

Phantasium posted:

May as well just call it Final Fantasy Legends, then.

Only if I get to kill God with a saw.

Again.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Huh I didn’t realize EO5 is out. I feel weird playing a 3ds game after the switch though, that resolution is
So bad

Will be interesting to see if EO6 is announced for the Switch.

...I still need to play through my copy of EO4 at some point. :effort:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Agreed, I’m 6’9 and they ar fine

oh so this is nerd body type 2: tall and lanky, pale, and with terrible skin

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

oh so this is nerd body type 2: tall and lanky, pale, and with terrible skin

Dr Tim whately is a beef cake, he's 6 foot 9 and he weighs 420 pounds

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zelder posted:

Nice

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Feenix posted:

Weird. I had a bunch of browned plants that looked like they were dead but I kept watering because I couldn’t be sure (some had brown stalks but green leaves, others all brown) and I ended up with them bearing fruit. I think all were from random mixed seeds.

The wild seeds (at least the springs ones) do that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamnit why isn't it February yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t realize that I get to spend $60 on Skyrim so soon!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddamnit why isn't it February yet?

I'm glad this game is an AMA, because I wish to know what the full title of this game is

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Infinitum posted:

I'm glad this game is an AMA, because I wish to know what the full title of this game is

MAMA Supercross

Cooking Mama coming back- X-TREEM STYLE!!!!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Gameplay in that Forces video looks only like a half step removed from just being an extended QTE.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Say “ MARIO N ” fast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whaley posted:

Looks like it's pretty similar to Sonic Generations which is a good thing

Generations is a jank fest thats only good in context of the sonic games before it.

Also the music is great

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Generations is a jank fest thats only good in context of the sonic games before it.

Also the music is great

Nope, it’s just a good game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zelder posted:

my bad then

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wendell posted:

Nope, it’s just a good game.

an overrated one

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath Traveller is so far away.

Plenty of time to come up with a less dumb name.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Quickly chiming in to say I also found Thimbleweed Park pretty underwhelming, it did get a few laughs out of me but I couldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't a die hard point and click adventure game fan

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They added video capture (for select games) and a save transfer system in the new 4.0 firmware out right now.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/920805416862228481
Holding the capture button saves the last thirty seconds of gameplay. It works with BotW, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2.

Save transfer allows you to transfer a user profile and all associated save data to a new console. It doesn't appear to be all-or-nothing as with Wii U and 3DS.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 19, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
:great:

Pug Rodeo posted:

Plenty of time to come up with a less dumb name.

It's a SE game so the official name will probably be dumber.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's awesome and out of nowhere.

I mean I know they were wanting video capture but I honestly didn't expect it for anything year 1.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:eyepop:

So this is the big firmware update we were waiting for. That's pretty big.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Looks like preloading will also be a thing soon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Phantasium posted:

That's awesome and out of nowhere.

I mean I know they were wanting video capture but I honestly didn't expect it for anything year 1.

I feel like it was really important to have save transfer out before the holidays for any families tempted to pick up a second switch. The video capture thing is out of nowhere and basically exactly what I wanted. I just hope it's easy for devs to patch in support!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr Cheeto posted:

They added video capture (for select games) and a save transfer system in the new 4.0 firmware out right now.
Holding the capture button saves the last thirty seconds of gameplay. It works with BotW, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2.

Save transfer allows you to transfer a user profile and all associated save data to a new console. It doesn't appear to be all-or-nothing as with Wii U and 3DS.

Hopefully the save transfer will expand to cloud saves when Nintendo Online is fully online.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The screenshots taken generally look like blurry poop so I'm not incredibly excited about the video capture thing until I see what it looks like.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sucks that only "select games" support video capture. I hope it's a case where older games may or may not have support patched in, but new games will all support it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

F f f f f f gently caress YEAH!

Good firmware update

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it says you can pre-purchase things but there are no games up for prepurchase :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Video Capture doesn't seem to work for me for Mario Kart 8. "Videos cannot be captured with this software."

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Replace the joy-con straps with bra straps for the ultimate edge in competitive gameing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr Cheeto posted:

Lol Nintendo just continuing to know how to make great games and and curious consoles but do everything else all hosed up.

"We want streaming!" Okay, here, you can save 30-second video clips of a couple of our games.
"We want save backups/cloud storage!" Okay, buy another Switch first.

Up next in May 2018's firmware update: Crackle

• Locked thread