Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gann Jerrod posted:

The next Squirrel Girl got Jim Davis to do comics about America’s favorite cat planet eating god.

Now where's the Surfer-only edit?

I was more into Galactus and Friends than that knockoff, Unicron and the Cadillac Robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

For some reason I love that one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jon has a vibrator up his rear end

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I always thought this one was funny. :shobon:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can't seem to find the drat thing now. But I remember being genuinely amused by one with Jon trying trick shots with some balled up note papers and a garbage bin while the pets were asleep, then wakes them up to show them only to have somehow knock the bookcase on top of him and miss the shot.

He can make some actual funny ones from time to time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SilverSupernova posted:

Can't seem to find the drat thing now. But I remember being genuinely amused by one with Jon trying trick shots with some balled up note papers and a garbage bin while the pets were asleep, then wakes them up to show them only to have somehow knock the bookcase on top of him and miss the shot.

He can make some actual funny ones from time to time.

I don't think he's actually done anything on the comic strip for decades. They farm that poo poo out to a staff of underlings. All of it, the art, the writing, everything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

garfielddogcum.jpg

Calaveron posted:

jonchugsdogsemen.png

It's good enough to be worthy of a deluxe print.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Latest USG (still in savage land fighting T-Rex Ultron)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Samuringa posted:

It's good enough to be worthy of a deluxe print.

"These events are canon" - Jim Davis

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
John swigged a bunch of dogs cum in front of his wife, causing him to become pregnant with dogs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

John doesn't have a wife. Learn the lore.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Work Friend Keven posted:

John swigged a bunch of dogs cum in front of his wife, causing him to become pregnant with dogs.

Somewhere, Holbrook angrily deletes a year and a half's worth of plot draft.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lurdiak posted:

John doesn't have a wife. Learn the lore.

Liz finally went on a date with him, and they eventually got married due to the Garfield movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Liz finally went on a date with him, and they eventually got married due to the Garfield movies.

I have been lore-bested.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
In fairness they were not married at the time of that strip. But I ask that posters treat me and Garfield with respect.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

site posted:

I tried sitting through that once

You'd need to eat like 10 weed brownies to be able to watch that whole thing

You really missed out

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I have been lore-bested.

You've been given the lore-ax.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ape City #3

Up From Harlem

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Up From Harlem
The fact that the multiple question marks and exclamation points are always on a new line is upsetting me in a way I can't really describe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

The fact that the multiple question marks and exclamation points are always on a new line is upsetting me in a way I can't really describe.

have you ever tried making love to god

???

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

prefect posted:

I don't think he's actually done anything on the comic strip for decades. They farm that poo poo out to a staff of underlings. All of it, the art, the writing, everything.

Garfield without garfield, or with silent garfield, is reliably hilarious. Just one depressed nerd, going insane.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

have you ever tried making love to god

???

It's looking at God and saying: "Hey, you sass that hoopy God? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is"

!!!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I liked the Garfield strip where John and Garfield make the snowman that comes to life and starts making more snowmen to form like an evil army.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked the Garfield strip where John and Garfield make the snowman that comes to life and starts making more snowmen to form like an evil army.

I think that's Calvin and Hobbes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I think that's Calvin and Hobbes.

:thejoke:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh, uh... ok.

This was also a thing they did in The Garfield Show so I thought the joke was that Jim Davis was a hack that copied Watterson.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I thought this was hilarious when I was twelve.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bought the hell out of some Garfield collections at Scholastic book fairs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I bought the hell out of some Garfield collections at Scholastic book fairs.

I remember getting all the Wrinkle in Time books from those.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

prefect posted:

I remember getting all the Wrinkle in Time books from those.

No no, book fairs and such were the places to get the Scary Stories books.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this one is perfect without the third panel

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I got all my calvin and hobbes books from scholastic fairs

Still got em too

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

I thought this was hilarious when I was twelve.

12 year old me's favorite.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

site posted:

I got all my calvin and hobbes books from scholastic fairs

Still got em too

Yeah, I really notice the difference between the Sunday and regular ones now, as well. As a kid, it was all just more Calvin and Hobbes, so I didn't really appreciate the beauty and experimentation he did in the Sunday stuff. I re-read everything every few years, still...makes me feel like an old man that kids today probably won't ever get into it, the way most people today aren't into Krazy Kat or Pogo, even though at one time, they were in everybody's home, and revisiting that work, it's still amazing. It just will never be popular in the same way again, and that's fine, but it just seems a little sad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I really notice the difference between the Sunday and regular ones now, as well. As a kid, it was all just more Calvin and Hobbes, so I didn't really appreciate the beauty and experimentation he did in the Sunday stuff. I re-read everything every few years, still...makes me feel like an old man that kids today probably won't ever get into it, the way most people today aren't into Krazy Kat or Pogo, even though at one time, they were in everybody's home, and revisiting that work, it's still amazing. It just will never be popular in the same way again, and that's fine, but it just seems a little sad.

At some point Watterson seriously changed the format of his Sunday strips, before they had to follow a specific strip layout with the title and first panel being a literal throwaway gag because some papers wouldn't print them and the number of rows the strip was printed on could change.

Eventually Watterson got sick of that, and made it a solid box, some papers ended up just printing a smaller version of his strip, so he actually lost real estate on the page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

At some point Watterson seriously changed the format of his Sunday strips, before they had to follow a specific strip layout with the title and first panel being a literal throwaway gag because some papers wouldn't print them and the number of rows the strip was printed on could change.

Eventually Watterson got sick of that, and made it a solid box, some papers ended up just printing a smaller version of his strip, so he actually lost real estate on the page.

I thought he straight up told papers to give him the space he wanted or don't print his Sunday strips.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

I thought he straight up told papers to give him the space he wanted or don't print his Sunday strips.

Papers could print a version of the strip that's all the art just a smaller version, they couldn't cut out the first couple of panels or mess with the line breaks anymore. For some papers this meant less of the Sunday comics page was taken up by Calvin and Hobbes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Bloodpool #1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have to brush my teeth after looking at such 90s art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

People always go on about Garfield, but when's Heathcliff getting his time in the sun?