Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

We have kidnapped your friends/family and turned them into legendary rarity lootbox drops

*jigsaw voice* YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO INSERT 5 DOLLARS INTO YOUR MICROSOFT ALL IN ONE XBOX 720 GAMING THEATER SYSTEM. IF YOU GET A PURPLE-PURPLE-GOLD-PURPLE LOOT BOX, YOUR FAMILY WILL LIVE, AND YOU WILL BE FOREVER CHANGED BY THIS EXPERIENCE. IF YOU GET A WHITE-WHITE-BLUE-WHITE LOOT BOX, YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE, AND THIS BEAR TRAP WILL CLOSE ON YOUR HEAD. LIVE OR DIE, THE CHOICE IS YOURS. STAND UP, RAISE YOUR ARMS AND SAY "MCDONALD'S!" TO BEGIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My guess is that AAA third-parties will continue to transition towards service games as their cash cows while keeping stables of lower-tier studios with slightly freer reign in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle or at least identifying pools of labor that they can task onto larger projects.

The first-party platform holders (well, Sony) will continue to be a viable space for a few cinematic story-driven games a year as those are the best way to push hardware both in terms of displaying power and having exclusives that don't need to be the primary revenue generators but just need to be reasons to buy consoles.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Idea for Blizzard: increase the chance of getting the legendary Tracer skin by 0.001% if I say "Destiny 2 releases on Oct. 24th exclusively on Battle.net" into the microphone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Idea for Blizzard: increase the chance of getting the legendary Tracer skin by 0.001% if I say "Destiny 2 releases on Oct. 24th exclusively on Battle.net" into the microphone.

blizzard was kind of pissed activision made them include destiny 2 in their launcher program from what i remember actually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It's just Skylanders and Amiibos now, right?

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/920681722093617152

And I guess whatever the one space game was where you clip a spaceship to your controller that's coming out.

Ooof. What a shame. I can't imagine it was selling poorly, just probably not selling as well as they wanted. Oh well, hopefully this means I'll be able to maybe pick up a starter pack cheaper or something cause I wouldn't mind playing through a bunch of that stuff like the portal, back to the future, ghostbusters, sonic, etc packs

Mordja posted:

Is it even still skylanders? There's no game this year and I don't think the last one made much of a splash.

Skylanders just had a wave of figures release earlier this month. Other than that, they had a second season of their show greenlit (dunno if it aired yet) and as far as games go, all that has been said is that they wish to focus on the rest of the franchise for a little bit instead of putting out another game. In short, we dunno if they're cancelling the games or not, but at the very least they're taking a breather from putting them out every year, similar to how ubisoft took a break from the yearly assassin's creed game stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wasn't that tied up with the whole name change to Blizzard Launcher and then back to Battle.net

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't that tied up with the whole name change to Blizzard Launcher and then back to Battle.net

not sure. just that when it was first announced there was a quick FAQ posted that blizzard that included the question "now that destiny 2 is being added to your launcher will we see other titles showing up as well" being answered with a terse "we have absolutely no plans to ever include any other games beside blizzard titles to the blizzard launcher at this time or for the foreseeable future"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i stayed up all night playing Fractured But Whole for like 9 hours and seem to have barely made a dent in it because I simply have to loot every drat house and crap in every drat toilet. I haven't even explored 1/4 of the town. Already met the Goths and had many laugh out loud moments. Game is real good. Combat system is very simple but complex, this may sound weird but it reminds me of a turn-based Pyre (except without the basketball...)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dug up the quote:

quote:

Does this mean other games are going to come to the Blizzard platform too?

Our focus in terms of supporting non-Blizzard games is solely around Destiny 2. Aside from potentially evaluating needs or opportunities for future Activision games, we don’t have any short- or long-term plans to support third-party games with Battle.net. It’s important to us to maintain our quality standards for any experience or service we’re putting in front of our players, which represents a big investment of time and effort on our part, so this is not something we’re jumping into lightly.

it's definitely possible i'm just reading too much into it but to me it sounds like "thanks activision for dumping an insane amount of extra work onto our lap"

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 18, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

an actual dog posted:

yea, the menus were the best thing about persona 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL_dCxjocg

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My guess is that AAA third-parties will continue to transition towards service games as their cash cows while keeping stables of lower-tier studios with slightly freer reign in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle or at least identifying pools of labor that they can task onto larger projects.

Less a stable than just a meat grinder of small studios that are shuttered as soon as they don't meet unrealistic sales goals.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That bullet didn't even hit that guy's head

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the menus in P5 look fantastic but they are designed absolutely pants on head stupid to navigate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I sure am looking forwards to Mario Odyssey in 8 days.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for the reminder that I need to send Breath of the Wild back in to open my rental queue for Mario. Good riddance.

I guess I would buy Odyssey but thanks to today's discussion, next week I will be paying full price for single-player story-driven AAA game Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to send Breath of the Wild back in to open my rental queue for Mario. Good riddance.

Maybe after that you can finally stop posting about how much you hate it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Write it off as a cheap way of you learning the "Zelda games aren't that good" lesson

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

:siren: :siren: GOTY Mario Odyssey comes out in 9 days hold on to ur butts :siren: :siren:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope the credits have a remix of "1-Up Girl" f. Rihanna

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

blizzard was kind of pissed activision made them include destiny 2 in their launcher program from what i remember actually

They can't be that pissed because you can buy destiny 2 with wow gold. That's not a joke

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

*recovering mmo addict meeting*

i finally did it guys. i closed my WoW account and sold off my gold.

*group applauds*

i used it to buy destiny 2

*worried murmuring*

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

In Training posted:

They can't be that pissed because you can buy destiny 2 with wow gold. That's not a joke

If people were wondering: https://wowtoken.info/

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What else can you buy with wow gold? Is that poo poo like bitcoin now?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9L0dY56xfFE yikes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if you can call 50 minutes a quick look

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gran Turismo Sport looks loving awesome.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh my gosh mario throws his hat and takes control because he's

cap-turing them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

boo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oddium posted:

oh my gosh mario throws his hat and takes control because he's

cap-turing them

:daryl:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it ain't me my dude

nintendo posted:

Thanks to heroic, hat-shaped Cappy, Mario's got new moves that'll make you rethink his traditional run-and-jump gameplay—like cap jump, cap throw, and capture. Use captured cohorts such as enemies, objects, and animals to progress through the game and uncover loads of hidden collectibles.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also haha

pretendo posted:

new moves that'll make you rethink his traditional run-and-jump gameplay—like cap jump

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

it ain't me my dude

double boo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:xd:

What's a good game to play atm?? Feeling listless

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

picross s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Eric the Unready

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Nex machina

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lets go back to when the biggest thing gamers had to be angry about was horse armor DLC.

i mean gamers at the time were still capable of summoning outrage at the idea of DRM generally, horse armor was more of a minor footnote even then

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I'm playing spooky games cause it's 'tober

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's spooky how good picross s is, and golf story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean gamers at the time were still capable of summoning outrage at the idea of DRM generally, horse armor was more of a minor footnote even then

I'm still boggled by how the discussion surrounding dlc and loot boxes apparently needs more nuance than "Replacing a system where you purchase a thing with a system where you purchase a chance at that thing or nothing at all is a lovely, anticonsumer move regardless of what that thing is, which no other industry is allowed to do."

I wonder what will come out from AC Origins having game content literally locked out if you don't do a gamestop preorder, though. Probably nothing.

• Locked thread