Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
acetone vapor is nature's antialiasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sagebrush posted:

please post lots more about this because it's extraordinarily cool to me and also relevant to what i'm teaching the kids

i've wondered about the direct-NURBS path before but it doesn't seem to have much of a benefit in most 3d printing cases? like, as you pointed out, your theoretical minimum resolution on an FDM is going to be whatever your stepper and belt system can hold, which on a consumer printer is maybe a few thousandths of an inch, but the machines aren't even rigid enough to get that repeatably and the extrusion is rarely that accurate either. certainly when i'm printing something on the desktop and i need a genuinely circular hole or w/e i just undersize it and drill it out.

this seems like a seriously useful thing in SLA printing, though, since you can easily hit a resolution that shows faceting in the model, and because a galvanometer beam director with the proper DAC can be effectively stepless. you just need to pick a subdivision resolution that's suitable for the quality you're trying to hit. is there something particularly challenging about going NURBS -> 2D splines -> arbitrary-resolution segmentation -> beam director?

it's definitely true that current fdm tooling and machines are focused on doing polygons and line segments and have a lot of higher order behavior based on that. the thing you have to realize is the limiting factor of resolution is legitimately not hardware aside from the rigidity thing. especially for what you mention with interior holes, a lot of that is driven by the assumption that line segments are the controlling primitive. the thing about fdm cam is that everything is controllable. the reason that interior holes decay into polygons is
a) if you assume that your machine draws straight segments, paths between segments are.... straight
b) the vertices are what you control, and you do a good job of making sure that the vertices are where the STL says they are

So you draw lines between vertices and you do your best to make sure the vertices stay where they are by making two or more outlines of an interior hole to distribute the load created by the shrinking of the plastic. and they turn into polygons anyway because of a couple reasons, against based on the fdm machines i've worked on, which are

1. computation time and execution speed is a tradeoff, from a system design perspective, if you want a machine that is self hosting
2. computation time is driven by, shockingly, segments/sec
3. if you are a company that makes both machine and pather, because you are able to control both computation and execution time, and (very importantly) because your base assumption is that you work with a triangular 3d model, you're making conscious choices in your pather about your quantization level based on your already-quantized input mesh

So you set a minimum sustained segment sized based on your understanding, usually based on experimentation, of your throughput. And interior holes are the worst case for that because they're small radius circles. So you quantize them down because that's better than having motion control buffer exhaustion based gantry halts that you didn't plan for. And since your toolpather controls vertices (and does a good job, also based on experimentation, of anchoring those vertices against the so-called "inner shell") the beads undergo thermal contraction between the well-anchored vertices and... turn into a polygon.

And t hat's all setting aside the mechanical accuracy of the system, which to be honest is strictly on a you get what you pay for basis. To be fair the pather is too, less in terms of the algorithms and more in terms of a) how well characterized the machine is (which is also very dependent on 1) the quality of your process and manufacturing and 2) your volume) and b) the generality of the pather; both with how much time and brainpower the pather team has, and how closely defined their product targets are in terms of what they support.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

well, the 1000 fps figure on its own means nothing. it could be 1000 fps while drawing 300 amps of current. scale that down to 60 fps and that's still 18 amps.

performance per watt = battery life on mobile.

I'm the 300 Amp gpu

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bloody posted:

I'm the 300 Amp gpu

um its called a mining rig

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bloody posted:

I'm the 300 Amp gpu

i thought this was crazy the first time i heard it but turns out: nope

modern gpus run at ~1v logic, and the newest gtx titan z has a tdp of 375 watts

340 fuckin' amps running through that processor

even my little 1060 is 120w = 110 amps. as much as i use to tig-weld 1/8" steel

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sapozhnik posted:

well, the 1000 fps figure on its own means nothing. it could be 1000 fps while drawing 300 amps of current. scale that down to 60 fps and that's still 18 amps.

performance per watt = battery life on mobile.

:goonsay:

in general raw perf to ppw is reasonable to do assuming even sublinear scaling with fps -- just race to idle on vsync

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I want to figure out how to upload code to the AMD29000 on my Apple Display Card 8•24GC

that would be a fun way to display a rotating cube

just need an AMD29000 disassembler and assembler

you can already treat it as a blitter by creating an on-card GWorld containing your sprites and then using CopyBits() to blit them to the screen; once everything is on the card, none of the work will go through the CPU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i thought this was crazy the first time i heard it but turns out: nope

modern gpus run at ~1v logic, and the newest gtx titan z has a tdp of 375 watts

340 fuckin' amps running through that processor

even my little 1060 is 120w = 110 amps. as much as i use to tig-weld 1/8" steel

im also the use of amps when watts would be more meaningful

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bloody posted:

yeah well im as powerful as a 120 volt battery :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i take 3ohm dumps

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

hw people always quote amps and not watts, i'm a prick

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
power dissipation in an individual section of a circuit is I2R. quoting wattage is only really useful for telling you the overall power consumption.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
overall power consumption is a much better measure of how hard the card is working than the current through any given point, though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
as someone who doesn't do mobile i don't really care as long as the card isn't on fire

actually i wouldn't care about that either if it kept working anyway

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Jabor posted:

power dissipation in an individual section of a circuit is I2R. quoting wattage is only really useful for telling you the overall power consumption.

that's just Joule heating there's also other frequency and voltage dependent CMOS switching losses

there's a company that uses servers to provide space heating in homes with fiber connections since computers are basically rocks that get hot and can occasionally add numbers together but principally just get hot

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody posted:

I'm the 300 Amp gpu

my 980Ti draws north of 300 amps (~450W@1.38V) when overclocked as far as it'll go :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Malcolm XML posted:

that's just Joule heating there's also other frequency and voltage dependent CMOS switching losses

there's a company that uses servers to provide space heating in homes with fiber connections since computers are basically rocks that get hot and can occasionally add numbers together but principally just get hot

:staredog: is that like in apartment complexes or something because that seems like it would get outrageously expensive real quick

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:staredog: is that like in apartment complexes or something because that seems like it would get outrageously expensive real quick

i assume the server company would subsidize at least part of the electricity since otherwise it's just an even more inefficient electric furnace that "wastes" some of the power it could be turning into heat by shuffling bits around

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

i assume the server company would subsidize at least part of the electricity since otherwise it's just an even more inefficient electric furnace that "wastes" some of the power it could be turning into heat by shuffling bits around

the shuffling bits around still manifests as heat tho

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah but weve been working towards intentionally reducing TDP on servers. now if you got a early-mid 2000s era netburst xeon..........

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the shuffling bits around still manifests as heat tho

actually yeah for some reason i thought information would consume energy in some kind of magical other way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suppose technically some of those electrons get sent up the wire to your monitor where they are fractionally converted into light instead

The light turns into heat when it hits your body or the walls though. Can't get away from it

E: no, the monitor backlight is actually not going to be electrically connected to the data input. hmm

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yo its real easy. if mechanical work is done (objects physically move) then it wont be 100% heat.

the only things that apply here are:

hard drives spin
optical disk drives spin
fans spin
speaker cones move

if you're 100% solid state and dont have speakers then ever bit of energy that comes in except fans is turning into heat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh hell it didn't even occur to me the occupant would be paying for the electricity, i just meant in terms of the fiber connections.

wait, these aren't fuckin' rackmount servers are they? god jesus who would want that much noise in their home just for some piddling heating

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yo its real easy. if mechanical work is done (objects physically move) then it wont be 100% heat.

hard drives spin
optical disk drives spin
fans spin
speaker cones move

if you're 100% solid state and dont have speakers then ever bit of energy that comes in except fans is turning into heat

doesn't it eventually turn into heat anyway since the energy use after the fans/spindles get to speed is to keep them spinning against frictional losses?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

oh hell it didn't even occur to me the occupant would be paying for the electricity, i just meant in terms of the fiber connections.

wait, these aren't fuckin' rackmount servers are they? god jesus who would want that much noise in their home just for some piddling heating

people with lots of space

had coworkers in colorado with testing clusters in their basement, and they just didn't notice it over household noise in the rest of the house

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

as a person with a rack in their house: you cant hear anything unless youre right outside the door. just put it in a utility room or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I CANT EBELIEVE YOU HAVE ANEW AVATAR

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah but weve been working towards intentionally reducing TDP on servers. now if you got a early-mid 2000s era netburst xeon..........

eh, bullshit.

we've been working towards reducing power per teraflop or whatever metric, yes. but modern server cpus with tens of threads are all 200-300w space heaters, and you can cheaply jam like 2-4 per 1u these days if you have the need. hairdryers in 1u format

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Truga posted:

eh, bullshit.

we've been working towards reducing power per teraflop or whatever metric, yes. but modern server cpus with tens of threads are all 200-300w space heaters, and you can cheaply jam like 2-4 per 1u these days if you have the need. hairdryers in 1u format

if you're not at a kw / u ur not even trying

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NEED MORE MILK posted:

as a person with a rack in their house: you cant hear anything unless youre right outside the door. just put it in a utility room or something

i have a closet that conveniently is where the fiber comes into the apartment, where the patch panel for the ethernet in the walls is, and it even has its own little A/C vent for cooling. I put my lil' half-height rack in there and just close the door and don't even hear it, though all my servers are 4-u ones with fancy quiet fans in them that aren't loud normally

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yep

too bad fios doesnt make a racked ONT, that would own

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

I CANT EBELIEVE YOU HAVE ANEW AVATAR

yeah. i'm definitely gonna go back to space moose at some point but i felt this was too perfect an av not to rock for a bit.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I suppose technically some of those electrons get sent up the wire to your monitor where they are fractionally converted into light instead

The light turns into heat when it hits your body or the walls though. Can't get away from it

E: no, the monitor backlight is actually not going to be electrically connected to the data input. hmm

in SEDs (OLEDs) it is

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

NEED MORE MILK posted:

hard drives spin
optical disk drives spin
fans spin
speaker cones move

lol how do you think actual work gets done? I mean you're like 99% right but the actual computation consumes some energy, just a very tiny bit of it

space heater computer company: https://www.qarnot.com

actually on topic: need more amps???? https://www.evga.com/articles/01140/evga-epower-v/ EVGA's got u, fam

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

most of a graphics card is power delivery fyi and maybe ram, but on HBM cards that's on the interposer so like 80% of the area is just for delivering power

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Can't wait for FIVRs on GPUs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

lol how do you think actual work gets done? I mean you're like 99% right but the actual computation consumes some energy, just a very tiny bit of it

space heater computer company: https://www.qarnot.com

actually on topic: need more amps???? https://www.evga.com/articles/01140/evga-epower-v/ EVGA's got u, fam

like the actual barriers for making MOSFETs better are thermal limits, same with solar cells

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

like the actual barriers for making MOSFETs better are thermal limits, same with solar cells

on the electron scale ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

how does computation itself consume energy? where does that energy go if it doesn't just become heat?

• Locked thread