Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Thanks. I arrive late afternoon by plane and have no typhoon experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

roffels posted:

Thanks. I arrive late afternoon by plane and have no typhoon experience.

Is it even supposed to affect mainland Japan?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Busy Bee posted:

I'm not sure if it will or disrupt my flight in, but I guess I'll find out.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Busy Bee posted:

It's coming. Probably won't hit until Monday, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Typhoons are, in general, slower and weaker than predicted. Sometimes they turn suddenly.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a large group of friends coming in next month on a weekend to Osaka. About 12 - 15 people or so.... do you guys have any suggestions on which restaurant to go to and if I should make reservations beforehand or if we can just walk to the people advertising their restaurants on the street? I can speak Japanese so there's that but I've never hosted such a large group before. We also want to go karaoke, will we run into issues with such a large group? Any recommendations for places to go after karaoke, maybe a club?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Any restaurant that does enkai should handle your group easily. Chain izakaya often have party rooms in the back or upstairs. Get a course + nomi-hodai to avoid ordering headaches.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You should probably make a reservation for a group of that size, especially if it's on a weekend. Agreed that the course+nomihodai will save you all a lot of trouble when it comes time to pay.
Karaoke I don't know if it's even possible to make a reservation, but you should be fine to just show up for that. The only club I ever actually remember in Osaka is Joule, so that's something.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any suggestions for places near Namba Station / Dotonbori for a nomihodai / fixed course place?

Worst case I'll just walk around that area and ask around earlier in the day before we go out.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 19, 2017

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Joule doesn't seem to get too busy these days. Right near it, though, is Ghost, which was pretty good and your typical big club feel - though not all that large in general.

There's another large one that's pretty popular these days as well and is supposed to be better than Ghost, but I didn't get a chance to check it out. I forgot the name, but if you ask around at a bar or club you'll find people going that way.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'll be visiting Onomichi in November and I'm planning to spend a day biking around the Shimanami Kaido. My goal is to do a 50-60 mile loop, so riding to Imbari and back is out but I figure I should at least be able to make it as far as the end of Ikuchijima. Should I just ride out on one side of each island and back on the other or is there a more interesting way route to take?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The course is pretty much set so just follow the blue lines. There are really not many roads to choose from... and the islands don't always have a neat loop road along the shoreline. Definitely go to Kosanji, then whatever else caught your attention on your ride home.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Absolutely do not miss the Ooyama shrine on Innoshima. It's just a little bit off the main route, but it's a shrine dedicated to cycling, which was really cool. The priest and priestesses were super friendly and proud of the place, and it was really cool how many groups of cyclists would show up and the head priest would insist on getting photos with everyone. For the obvious foreigners like me and the dudes I met up with on the road they showed us all around the place, had water and cold towels and stuff ready for us, and we had a blast just talking about the history of the shrine and about biking. If you're into cycling you'll love it.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 20, 2017

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Hi guys, I'm in Tokyo for the next month.

- where can I find crest toothpaste?
- anyone want to grab a drink?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Idk about Crest but Aquafresh is available at most drug stores.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Due to sheer dumb luck and a three day layover, we're going to be in Tokyo (or anywhere within 6 hours by train of Tokyo) on Halloween, what is the standard game plan? My only experience with Japan and Halloween is that episode of Cowboy Bebop near the end of the series, like a decade ago.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Assuming you mean the 27th/28th evenings - Halloween parties will be in the streets in Shibuya and Roppongi. Every club, bar, etc. will be packed af and not worth it. Just street drink and mingle. The streets will be packed af too... but anywhere indoors takes it to a new level.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please enjoy Japan's traditional public drinking culture. :cheers:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Does anyone have experience mailing letters from Japan to the eastern US? The first day I'm in town is the 30th, and a family member has a birthday on November 12th, which gives about 9 business days for transit. The Japan Post site says average time to New York is 10 days (although Chicago is only 6 for some reason?). It would be going from Kyoto to Florida. It seems like such a good opportunity to get a nice 誕生日 card from a stationery store but it would appear to be cutting it close for delivery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Postcards I sent took under a week. There's a lot of mail traffic between Japan and the US.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

peanut posted:

Please enjoy Japan's traditional public drinking culture. :cheers:

I miss this so much.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

tbf there's another typhoon encroaching Japan at the moment, this could impact Halloween street drinking plans. Worth keeping an eye on

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol typhoons in october gently caress off dumbass clouds

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s almost like the typical weather pattern is slightly different from year to year now. Some sort of...climate...change...?

Update from my parents says that the dates they can travel have changed and their best bet is 4/28 to 5/12, which cuts right through Golden Week. Lemme make sure I understand correctly, the reason why traveling during Golden Week is a bad idea is that:

1. The sights are packed
2. Stuff (restaurants, bars, etc.) is closed
3. Way more people than are worth dealing with
4. Rates are higher, maybe?

I want to make sure this trip is a success, so I’m hesitant to go along with that scheduling. But realities in the American workplace mean there’s only so much I can do...

What sucks is that we don’t know for sure if we can get these dates, especially since I’m starting a new job myself too. Well, I’ll find a way to make it happen.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo is great during Golden Week dunno about the rest.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Update from my parents says that the dates they can travel have changed and their best bet is 4/28 to 5/12, which cuts right through Golden Week. Lemme make sure I understand correctly, the reason why traveling during Golden Week is a bad idea is that:

1. The sights are packed
2. Stuff (restaurants, bars, etc.) is closed
3. Way more people than are worth dealing with
4. Rates are higher, maybe?

I want to make sure this trip is a success, so I’m hesitant to go along with that scheduling. But realities in the American workplace mean there’s only so much I can do...

When my parents visited they came during golden week since it was the only time that I could be free that wasn't rear end hot Japanese summer.

1. This is true, but honestly for the touristy places you will probably take your parents it's true most of the time.

2. Most of that stuff is open during golden week. There are some mom and pop places that'll close, but it's not like New Years where any old place might just close down for a week.

3. Didn't we already talk about this?

4. Yes, but if you are still 6 months out you can still find stuff for a fine price.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm. That seems manageable, actually. Since what we're gonna be doing involves a hell of a lot of people anyway, should I be less concerned about the Golden Week collision? Is travel more difficult, or is it gonna be roughly the same? All I know for sure is that I'm told to avoid Golden Week, but I never quite understood why besides the obvious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I dunno who's saying to avoid Golden Week. New Year's yeah, but Golden Week should be fine? Some stuff will be closed a couple days, but Tokyo at least clears out beautifully.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Going entirely by past responses to my inquiries and by searching through the thread with references to Golden Week has a lot of people saying to avoid coming here during that time, but no explanation as to why. Tokyo might be fine, but what about plans to visit Kyoto, Himeji, etc.? Those seem like popular national vacation destinations as well, and Golden Week would be a good excuse to visit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pollyanna posted:

Going entirely by past responses to my inquiries and by searching through the thread with references to Golden Week has a lot of people saying to avoid coming here during that time, but no explanation as to why. Tokyo might be fine, but what about plans to visit Kyoto, Himeji, etc.? Those seem like popular national vacation destinations as well, and Golden Week would be a good excuse to visit.

Of course it's a good time to visit the most popular vacation spots - you and everyone else in the country who has those days off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

totalnewbie posted:

Of course it's a good time to visit the most popular vacation spots - you and everyone else in the country who has those days off.

I think that's what's confusing me - Golden Week is probably good for visiting places that are always really packed e.g. Tokyo, but worse for popular vacation spots and sights like Kyoto, Himeji, and all the touristy stuff. Does that sound about right?

I was hoping to get some of the touristy stuff done, but if there's no chance of that being non-ridiculous until after Golden Week, maybe stick around Tokyo/Kanto until Golden Week is done, then head out for Kyoto/Kansai.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

I think that's what's confusing me - Golden Week is probably good for visiting places that are always really packed e.g. Tokyo, but worse for popular vacation spots and sights like Kyoto, Himeji, and all the touristy stuff. Does that sound about right?

Yep, that's right. Major cities clear out during those sorts of holidays in Asia. People also tend to all go to the exact same small set of tourist destinations, so if you avoid those you're okay too.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

It's a pain in the dick going places during golden week because it's going to be busy as hell relatively. But given that people are actually pretty decent about queuing like adults, really the only downside is there being a general crowd around at all times which doesn't actually impact poo poo much. Hotel prices might spike a bit but if you're booking far enough in advance that shouldn't affect your ability to get something decent either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If hypothetically an idiot looked at the wrong plug at home and ended up in Kyoto without a needed 3 prong adapter, where might said idiot buy one?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

If hypothetically an idiot looked at the wrong plug at home and ended up in Kyoto without a needed 3 prong adapter, where might said idiot buy one?

Any 24 hour convenience store should have one

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A 100 yen shop or convenience store might also have a skinny adapter like this, and you just let the third earth prong float outside the adapter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where should we go to get (cheap-ish) costumes, I'm thinking some sort of pichachu onsie or hello kitty ____ for my girlfriend

Also may want to wear the onesie outdoors as I only packed for the tropics (I have a pair of jeans that hasn't been washed in probably two weeks), I suspect I'll be able to get away with this all day in the shinjuku district

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

peanut posted:

A 100 yen shop or convenience store might also have a skinny adapter like this, and you just let the third earth prong float outside the adapter.

Ended up doing this. I checked every conbini on my way from Kyoto Station and can empirically confirm that those Family Mart, 7-11, and Daily Yamazaki locations do not carry adapters. Finally went a nearby Joshin and managed to find one, but it has an extra green ground wire sticking out of it that I don't know what to do with so I've just got the plug wedged onto the end of a narrow strip.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Hadlock posted:

Where should we go to get (cheap-ish) costumes, I'm thinking some sort of pichachu onsie or hello kitty ____ for my girlfriend

Also may want to wear the onesie outdoors as I only packed for the tropics (I have a pair of jeans that hasn't been washed in probably two weeks), I suspect I'll be able to get away with this all day in the shinjuku district
Don Quixote should have you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The thing you want is called a kigurumi, and the place to buy them is Don Quixote.

^^^ buddies (*≧∀≦*)