Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shadow Wars structure the post game, and can be toggled on as a feature with a later patch.

Theres nothing but a ninety second YouTube cinematic gated behind them, and the game play involved is what you'd be doing anyway. Even if you don't want to recruit orcs yourselves, the in game currency is pissed all over you and can be used for the same rewards as regular loot boxes.

They were poorly explained but they are a complete non issue in practise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
And any person who would be vulnerable to being financially laid low by them has already been cleaned out by virtually any microtransaction iphone game in existence

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jesus H. Christ posted:

Super vague Little Thing since I can’t even remember what game did it, but some horror game played high frequency tones that would scare your dog or cat while you played. Anyone know what I’m talking about? I think it was an old game that, aside from the cool trick with the music, wasn’t very good.

This sounds like a dick move, not something to be applauded.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

poptart_fairy posted:

Shadow Wars structure the post game, and can be toggled on as a feature with a later patch.

Theres nothing but a ninety second YouTube cinematic gated behind them, and the game play involved is what you'd be doing anyway. Even if you don't want to recruit orcs yourselves, the in game currency is pissed all over you and can be used for the same rewards as regular loot boxes.

They were poorly explained but they are a complete non issue in practise.

But but but microtransactions

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of them but seriously they are a non-issue here. It's stopping people from playing a really fun game.

I do find it funny that people are saying the end game is grinding though. You're playing the drat game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lobok posted:

This sounds like a dick move, not something to be applauded.

Yeah that sounds super lovely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

You're projecting hard enough for people to navigate ships to. Shadow of War is getting a noticable amount of attention because it's single player and loot boxes are for things that actually effect the gameplay, people always protest at these elements in full-priced AAA games but it least had the decency to mostly stick to cosmetics in multiplayer titles where the audience is already conditioned to spend hours a day grinding for unlocks.

No I'm not. Single player games with lootboxes that actually impact things in the game have existed for a while, both in terms of microtransaction and other. DLC that impacts the game even in single player is ubiquitous. There is a reason SoW is getting this attention and it is becaue of the clickbaity articles. It also makes this discussion impossible to have reasonably because rather than discussing the actual game you've got one side using a hyperbolic exaggerated version of the game as their basis for their complaints which makes the actual idea ("lootboxes are exploitative in any situation") get lost in favor of people trying to argue they have an impact on the game they don't.

Not liking Shadow of War having lootboxes is fine and I agree with you. However that doesn't change the fact that the actual in-game implementation of those loot boxes is extremely tame or entirely ignorable unless you're the kind of person who has an addictive personality vulnerable to lootboxes in which case it being multiplayer or cosmetic only shouldn't matter because it's no less exploitative there. You're not going to convince people that SoW is the Beginning Of The End Of Gaming with hyperbole because it's easy for that to go in the opposite direction and view it as harmless if they actually play the game and see for themselves.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ImpAtom posted:

You're not going to convince people that SoW is the Beginning Of The End Of Gaming with hyperbole because it's easy for that to go in the opposite direction and view it as harmless if they actually play the game and see for themselves.

Do you see this as the end state of lootboxes, though? If SoW sells really well, but the lootboxes don't, do you think that lootboxes are going to be less prominent in upcoming games? Having them in a single player game is really egregious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Do you see this as the end state of lootboxes, though? If SoW sells really well, but the lootboxes don't, do you think that lootboxes are going to be less prominent in upcoming games? Having them in a single player game is really egregious.

I don't see it as the end state of lootboxes but I also don't think lootboxes are going away. Lootboxes themselves are a natural evolution of the idea of RNG-generated loot which has been a part of gaming for a very long time and will remain so as long as the idea of big money loot drops ingrained in our brain from Diablo and its ilk exists. Even stuff like Horizon: Zero Dawn has loot boxes, if entirely passive ones using only in-game currency. Developers are not going to get rid of it because the rush of random loot bot is appealing to players and because it lessens the work done in designing quest rewards. In turn people are going to keep finding ways to monetize it.

If not selling lootboxes themselves then you'll get the other thing SoW is doing: selling additional items that could APPEAR in those lootboxes instead as 'additional content.' You'll also see this in Nioh for example where you can buy additional items and weapons that then show up randomly in-game. Or you'll see 'improved drop chance' for in-game lootboxes or whatever. RNG content and the motorization of that content isn't going to go away. On a personal level I feel like 'cheat to get super powerful but is otherwise ignorable' is less harmful than gradually filtering out available items to sell for $5 each. YMMV.

I also admit I don't see any meaningful difference between it in a single player game and a multiplayer game. Cosmetic vs gameplay-influencing is one thing but I don't find it any less exploitative in multiplayer just because you're used to it in multiplayer. Especially because 'multiplayer' can also mean, for example, PvE horde modes and I really don't see much difference between a gameplay-influencing lootbox for PvE and a lootbox for single player.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Buzkashi posted:

And any person who would be vulnerable to being financially laid low by them has already been cleaned out by virtually any microtransaction iphone game in existence

So an immensely lovely practice doesn't matter because other games in another medium already do the lovely practice?

Personally, I'w fine with this knee-jerk reaction getting attention even if it might be overreacting- I want companies to see practices like this actually hurting sales...even though in reality there isn't any way in hell the(theoretical) lost sales aren't made up for by the micro transaction revenue alone.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

So an immensely lovely practice doesn't matter because other games in another medium already do the lovely practice?

Personally, I'w fine with this knee-jerk reaction getting attention even if it might be overreacting- I want companies to see practices like this actually hurting sales...even though in reality there isn't any way in hell the(theoretical) lost sales aren't made up for by the micro transaction revenue alone.

I got the first one in a sale and were it not for all the bad press I would have cracked and got this on day 1. I appreciate them giving me a good reason to wait for a hefty price cut/sale again.

I mean, I get that it's an amazing game so all that stink saves my wallet the brutalising it doesn't need right now.

Favourite little thing right now: I've started playing Nioh again after a long break and goddamn I just love the stance system. It's just really rad to subtly alter strategy/moves on the fly with a simple and fairly intuitive button combo, without even breaking stride if you time it well.

Last favourite little thing: Being able to just summon any previously used weapon in Ruiner. A lot of the weapons are really fun to use and being able to grab them almost whenever you want is an incredible feature.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How about this: I hate that publishers think games have to continue generating revenue above and beyond the original purchase price.

That's it. Microtransactions and expensive DLC get on my nerves. I'm more likely to wait a year or two and buy the GOTY / Platinum Edition that is cheaper than the original game but includes all the extra stuff that dribbled out instead of including on the front end. In my case, it's because I don't have the money to spend $300 on a $60 game.

A little thing I like. Guild Wars 2 recently added mounts in the Path of Fire expansion. They are not just "get places faster" upgrades. Each mount has its own style of movement and its own bonuses. The raptor is fast and has a nice horizontal leap that can get you across gaps. The bunny is slower but has a huge vertical leap to get you up to places that would otherwise be inaccessible. The skimmer (think above water stingray) literally hovers so you can go over water instead of swimming in it. Each one also handles differently with the raptor handling like a horse, the giant bunny handling like something with huge back feet and the skimmer being graceful and floaty.
There's also the sand jackal and griffon, but they are basically bonus mounts. Jackal has a horizontal leap where you turn to sand during the leap and get an evade and the griffon can pretty much fly if you upgrade it.
The jackal handles like a big dog. You've seen your dog spin around? That's how the jackal spins around when you are on it.
I don't have a griffon because I lack the in-game currency to afford it or the time to do the required quest.

They put a lot of love and individually into each one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

How about this: I hate that publishers think games have to continue generating revenue above and beyond the original purchase price.

That's it. Microtransactions and expensive DLC get on my nerves. I'm more likely to wait a year or two and buy the GOTY / Platinum Edition that is cheaper than the original game but includes all the extra stuff that dribbled out instead of including on the front end. In my case, it's because I don't have the money to spend $300 on a $60 game.

A little thing I like. Guild Wars 2 recently added mounts in the Path of Fire expansion. They are not just "get places faster" upgrades. Each mount has its own style of movement and its own bonuses. The raptor is fast and has a nice horizontal leap that can get you across gaps. The bunny is slower but has a huge vertical leap to get you up to places that would otherwise be inaccessible. The skimmer (think above water stingray) literally hovers so you can go over water instead of swimming in it. Each one also handles differently with the raptor handling like a horse, the giant bunny handling like something with huge back feet and the skimmer being graceful and floaty.
There's also the sand jackal and griffon, but they are basically bonus mounts. Jackal has a horizontal leap where you turn to sand during the leap and get an evade and the griffon can pretty much fly if you upgrade it.
The jackal handles like a big dog. You've seen your dog spin around? That's how the jackal spins around when you are on it.
I don't have a griffon because I lack the in-game currency to afford it or the time to do the required quest.

They put a lot of love and individually into each one.

I got really loving salty about season passes after Bethesda forced my hand on it by threatening a crank up in the price of it after a few months (?). They never specified what it would include and I was beyond disappointed with what I got out of it. If I paid even more I would have been livid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
To add into the conversation about lootboxes; I'm annoyed by them because they take the fun out of events in Overwatch. In Overwatch you earn three lootboxes a week, plus one per-level up. There isn't anything else to do during events. No bonus stuff with fun rewards, you don't get anything for playing the new game modes. Just the same poo poo as ever, and the only way to get new skins is to get lootboxes. Get your three for the week? Hope you like grinding EXP!

But there's only so much a person can grind. Even if you played that game 24/7 during the event, there is genuinely only so much you can grind out and the lootbox rates are garbage (In fact Blizzard still hasn't disclosed the, to the public) so it's entirely possible to just straight up never get a single one of the event skins no matter how much you grind, something that happened to me with the previous event. All because they just want people to spend obscene amounts of money on loot boxes. Yet, purchasing lootboxes doesn't improve your odds in any way. So I fail to see why you would do this either. Because it seems like an absolute waste of money since you're just as likely to get nothing by spending a thousand dollars on lootboxes, as you are spending zero.

Sad lions posted:

I got really loving salty about season passes after Bethesda forced my hand on it by threatening a crank up in the price of it after a few months (?). They never specified what it would include and I was beyond disappointed with what I got out of it. If I paid even more I would have been livid.

I was done with season passes after gearbox pulled that "Tee-hee the season pass only covers half the DLC! Buy season pass two!" garbage.

Anyway, good things in games. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes the game has an inexplicable beam ammo system and rather than using the traditional beam system, or even the elemental beams from the first prime game it goes with a thematic Light Beam and Dark Beam. Things from the light world are weak to darkness, things from the dark world are weak to light.
First and foremost, one of the main antagonists of the game Dark Samus is actually weak to the Dark Beam despite being named "Dark" Samus (people tend to assume they should use the light beam) because she is not from the dark world. She isn't even from the planet you're on! Secondly, there is a third beam. The weirdly named "Annihilator Beam" which is a combination of light and dark, and for some reason is elementally attuned to sound. It can damage, and kill enemies that are only vulnerable to either light or dark while doing slightly more damage than a single shot of each. However, it can not open light or dark beam doors for mysterious reasons. Finally, there's a mini-boss you fight early on called the Dark Missile Trooper and he is a zombie soldier that shoots missiles. When you kill him, you get a missile upgrade. For this specific pickup they used the same model as the initial missile launcher pickup which I think is neat. Because it implies you're just taking this dude's missiles.

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009
Something cool I noticed recently in Nioh: like other dark souls style games there's lots of places where you can open shortcuts up to previous areas. Some of these shortcuts are opened by unlocking a door and then opening it. If you get killed after you've unlocked the door, but before the animation to open it plays, you can still open the door from either side once you've respawned, it doesn't get re-locked.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Aleph Null posted:

They need the additional revenue to support working on the post-release stuff people currently demand from most/all AAA games. We're really long past the times where it was acceptable for devs to release a game and then just move onto the next project. AAA game dev has also gotten so expensive that sometimes you can't even expect a game to recoup the cost it took to make it right away, let alone get into the black and then make enough to cover the cost of post-release content.

For content: If you mash the melee attack button in Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, you repeatedly just flip off your enemies instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9bPwUiY68

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadow of War: My first captain I ran into managed to escape. I ran across him later and again he got away cause the fucker apparently has a million flashbangs underneath his sleeves. At that point he was renamed to "The Uncatchable". Any future meetings I started to let him run away to let him live up to his name. Then he managed to kill me cause I didn't realize he had a trait that doesn't let you do a final stand and he managed to toss a dagger at me at the wrong moment. Alright, at first it was fun but now he just made it personal. So I hunted him down, and he got away a few more times. I bailed him out of an execution cause dammit *I* wanted to be the one to kill him. Finally I manage to chase him down a dead end with no other orcs to interfere, brought him down to critical health, went to deliver the coupe de grace....

"Sorry man filth, I can't let you kill me today. Don't let the others know about this, ok? I don't want them to think I'm a coward." The Uncatchable: Tricky Escape!

:smith:

:unsmith:

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Oct 19, 2017

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

flatluigi posted:

They need the additional revenue to support working on the post-release stuff people currently demand from most/all AAA games. We're really long past the times where it was acceptable for devs to release a game and then just move onto the next project. AAA game dev has also gotten so expensive that sometimes you can't even expect a game to recoup the cost it took to make it right away, let alone get into the black and then make enough to cover the cost of post-release content.

Those poor developers! If only someone had warned them that endless loops of overhyping your product for years and years would lead to impossible to achieve expectations. Truly they are to be pitied.

Honestly though- the real people suffering in this situation are the programmers and designers that get shafted weather the game does well or poorly. Most are lucky to not get the axe even when they do excellent work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Videogaming is the one major entertainment industry that hasn't unionized so they're gonna keep being treated like poo poo until they get over their libertarian tech bro mindset, sucks to be them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

flatluigi posted:

Does anyone really think Shadow of Mordor lost money? That WB decided to make a sequel to a game that lost money, knowing that that game will ALSO lose money unless a bunch of people with no impulse control throw money into the virtual fruit machine they included with the sequel? Or is it in fact possible that a AAA game with no microtransactions/blind box gambling can in fact make money?

Frankly if someone runs a company making a product and they cant make money selling that product because their production costs are too high, I'd tell them to get the gently caress out of that business because they are **loving bad at it**.
I'm not arguing that AAA budgets (and sales expectations) arent out of control in some cases. But the solution to that is get their budgets under control (and accept that a game making money is good, most games arent going to do COD numbers no matter how hard squenix wishes. Hell, I think we are heading towards a time where even COD no longer does COD numbers) not to nickel and dime players with blind box bullshit. Huge amounts of money are being spent for incremental improvements in graphical quality and its not making the games better. That story about Kazima getting a hugely detailed ingame model of how ice melts so that some icecubes can melt realistically is, dont get me wrong, hilarious, but its also an example of poo poo that doesnt need to be in the budget in a AAA game.

Seems to me that its not people demanding post release content (certainly not for single player games, one of my games of the year have been yakuza 0 which has no microtransactions, DLC (paid or otherwise), I dont think theres been any for neir automata although I stand ready to be corrected on that as I've only played the first 10 minutes, did Uncharted 4 have any post release content? And thats literally 3 of the 4 nearest games on my shelf. Not mentioning Yakuza Kiwami because its a remake of a PS3 game so its kind of cheating.) its that its a piss easy way for publishers to get more money from fans for less effort that making a new game.

Unless you mean "multiplayer AAA game" specifically in which case sure, people like their map packs and whatnot. I'm not a fan of the blind box gambling loot in games where you can buy the boxes with real money (I'm not sure if that comes across, but I'm really not), but I can more understand it in your Overwatch (decent rate of free boxes, cosmetics only, can buy any of the skins with in-game currency, profits generated are used to provide essentially free DLC, map packs, characters) than in your shadow of war. I'm still not a big fan of them in Overwatch (they still have the potential of hooking in people who cant really afford to spend the money they end up spending, special event costumes cant usually be bought and when I was playing OW the rate of currency you got for a duplicate item was hilariously inadequate. I mean, the fact the system gives you dupes at all is pretty much bullshit when you think about it), I just find them more understandable and less frankly money grubbing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I sure do love the little things, like people bitching endlessly.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
holy poo poo shut up about lootboxes

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I like it when PC games have controller support and m+kb support and each has its own unique, optimized interface.

A few of the Diablo clones I like have this and those are the ones I play for a half hour here and there. Victor Vran, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Also Divinity: original sin (the enhanced edition).
As much as I like Torchlight and Torchlight II, the lack of controller support means I haven't played them in ages. I never even finished Torchlight II.
But I've played through The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing multiple times. I have the version that has all three original games in it, so it isn't short. And Victor Vran is designed to keep playing pretty much forever with daily bounty codes that people share freely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I don't see it as the end state of lootboxes but I also don't think lootboxes are going away. Lootboxes themselves are a natural evolution of the idea of RNG-generated loot which has been a part of gaming for a very long time and will remain so as long as the idea of big money loot drops ingrained in our brain from Diablo and its ilk exists. Even stuff like Horizon: Zero Dawn has loot boxes, if entirely passive ones using only in-game currency. Developers are not going to get rid of it because the rush of random loot bot is appealing to players and because it lessens the work done in designing quest rewards. In turn people are going to keep finding ways to monetize it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is not a good example, because it's very obvious that they gutted most of their lootbox system out.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Just had a cool Shadow of War thing happen. Way early in the game, came across these two orks leading about 6 captured soldiers down a dirt road. I kill the orks, the soldiers scatter and run off, and this one meaty ork captain runs up and we start fighting. Just me and him in a long drawn out fight. I get him down to one last sliver of health, and he downs me for the third time. The cutscene starts to play out, he's pulling his big gently caress-off hook to murder me, the QTE to avoid death doesn't even play. Right before he goes to stab me with it, one of the soldiers I just freed comes out of loving nowhere, shoves his sword right through the ork's head, and gives me a little motivaional speech.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Still enjoying the poo poo out of Heat Signature, and I have discovered my favorite device in the entire game.

A little bit on how weapons and items work: The game has a few broad categories of weapon and item. Pistol, shotgun, auto rifle, long blade, short blade, wrench, etc. There's three different "main" categories of personal teleporter, Visitor (Teleports you to a destination, even through walls, then recalls you two seconds later), Sidewinder (Teleports you through any clear path to your destination of choice) and Swapper (Switches you with another human being).

Item categories can then be upgraded with modifiers like Fast-Shooting, Rechargeable, or Silenced.

There are also Glitch Traps. These teleport anyone who isn't you to a destination you select. The destination can be anywhere that isn't inside another object like a wall or another person.

The destination can be outside the ship. I don't care if your guards are wearing heat imagers, armor, and energy shields. Their heat vision, armor, and ability to reflect kinetic energy isn't going to do gently caress against the cold unfeeling vacuum surrounding your thin aluminum spaceship.

I have a character with a Self-Recharging High-Capacity Extreme-Range Glitch Trap. Holds five charges, regenerates charges at one every five seconds. I have had multiple missions that involve dropping this trap in a hallway pointed at the outside, or at a sealed room, and then firing an unsuppressed pistol to get every guard on the ship running down the trapped corridor.

Exit Strategy has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Oct 19, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
While the Final Fantasy XIV expansion Stormblood had a rocky start... and middle, the quality jumps up dramatically at the end. The final boss is both loving amazing to see and play, and so flagrantly referential to my favorite Final Fantasy that it hurts. Spoiler-tagging this, but what this fight is is pretty telegraphed from, like, the start of the expansion.

Your final boss is Shinryu, the summoned god dragon that broke down the imperial-erected wall that kicked off the expansion in the first place. The game was previously joke-linked to Final Fantasy V, with Gilgamesh coming in from another dimension and specifically talking about events from FFV, but Stormblood kinda made that much more serious by giving actual roles to Shinryu and Omega, the O.G. superbosses. So your final boss is THAT, and he starts making the references very flagrant.

Throughout the whole fight, he has a few extremely strong special moves that he builds up, that are based off of signature moves of primals from earlier in the game. Specifically, though, they're only primals that were summons in FFV; Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Leviathan and Bahamut. His whole mechanic is that he has to build up a meter before he can use some big-hitter moves, but he starts with a full meter and immediately uses Leviathan's Tidal Wave to try to instantly kill your team by knocking them off the stage... which isn't just his opening salvo from his intro cutscene before Stormblood, but it's also his first move in FFV. Then for the second phase of his fight, he drags the players into another plane of existence for a good old psychadelic-arena final boss, and while it's never stated it is clearly supposed to be the Interdimensional Rift, the FFV end dungeon where Shinryu was first fought.

There's also something that HAS to be a reference, it's too specific, but I have no idea what to. When the players destroy Shinryu's tail after he lays it on the platform, it says 'Shinryu suffers 396960 points of damage!' I can't find what has or deals that amount of HP in Final Fantasy, so I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Also there's at least six loving Hamilton references across dialog and mission texts, and that's just the ones I noticed and counted.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

libertarian tech bro mindset

So does this actually mean anything or are you having another stroke.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

So does this actually mean anything or are you having another stroke.

No, that one's a real one. Male libertarian tech fuckheads are genuinely a major reason why the games industry is so thoroughly weighted against actual developers and in favour of the guys who are already established.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Somfin posted:

No, that one's a real one. Male libertarian tech fuckheads are genuinely a major reason why the games industry is so thoroughly weighted against actual developers and in favour of the guys who are already established.

Reminder that Poptart Fairy was a gamer gate "devil's advocate, just asking legitimate questions" type in another game thread so he's probably baiting a derail.

Actually I can't remember anymore but it would take someone being pretty obtuse to not know that tech dudes are broadly all for libertarian utopian futures.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Oct 19, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Guy Mann substantiate his vomit of buzzwords for once. Even Palpek got sick of that poo poo in the games forum, so of course Mann runs off elsewhere to ramble about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Guy Mann substantiate his vomit of buzzwords for once. Even Palpek got sick of that poo poo in the games forum, so of course Mann runs off elsewhere to ramble about it.

I mean, the fact that you don't know what those words mean really says more about you than it does about him, but please feel free to carry on with your quest to finally win an argument against someone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finally got around to Bloodborne, which is amazing.

Was getting my rear end kicked by a rival Hunter in Old Yharnam, and died to him a whole bunch of times as he heals whenever he's low on health. During one try it became very apparent this particular attempt wasn't going to go well, so I escaped down a nearby ladder. I'm climbing down it when I see something flash past me, hear a frightened yell, followed by a splat at the bottom, followed by the sound of me collecting Blood Echoes.

Apparently, the Hunter had pursued me, run right off the top of the ladder and done the full Wile E Coyote. It maybe would have been nice to beat him the traditional way, but I think the comedy more than makes up for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You beat that guy in pretty much the way most people do it.

Make sure to quit and reload on top of that tower to get his loot though, it's pretty good.

Somfin posted:

I mean, the fact that you don't know what those words mean really says more about you than it does about him, but please feel free to carry on with your quest to finally win an argument against someone.

Please take this slapfight you so badly want and cram it up your rear end instead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Somfin posted:

Guy Mann has a history of making GBS threads phrases like that into threads and then running away, never to expand on or substantiate anything. That you take his side purely on the basis of some weirdly persistent projection is a bit sad at this point.

It should not be controversial that someone expands on a bunch of words they keep throwing together without ever elaborating.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Guy Mann has a history of making GBS threads phrases like that into threads and then running away, never to expand on or substantiate anything. That you take his side purely on the basis of some weirdly persistent projection is a bit sad at this point.

It should not be controversial that someone expands on a bunch of words they keep throwing together without ever elaborating.

They're really obvious from context, dude. Libertarians are against unions, tech bros treat companies as disposable. These are known things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And I would like Guy Mann to expand on that rather than vomiting up the phrases and running away. I have no interest in you covering for him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

While the Final Fantasy XIV expansion Stormblood had a rocky start... and middle, the quality jumps up dramatically at the end. The final boss is both loving amazing to see and play, and so flagrantly referential to my favorite Final Fantasy that it hurts. Spoiler-tagging this, but what this fight is is pretty telegraphed from, like, the start of the expansion.

Your final boss is Shinryu, the summoned god dragon that broke down the imperial-erected wall that kicked off the expansion in the first place. The game was previously joke-linked to Final Fantasy V, with Gilgamesh coming in from another dimension and specifically talking about events from FFV, but Stormblood kinda made that much more serious by giving actual roles to Shinryu and Omega, the O.G. superbosses. So your final boss is THAT, and he starts making the references very flagrant.

Throughout the whole fight, he has a few extremely strong special moves that he builds up, that are based off of signature moves of primals from earlier in the game. Specifically, though, they're only primals that were summons in FFV; Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Leviathan and Bahamut. His whole mechanic is that he has to build up a meter before he can use some big-hitter moves, but he starts with a full meter and immediately uses Leviathan's Tidal Wave to try to instantly kill your team by knocking them off the stage... which isn't just his opening salvo from his intro cutscene before Stormblood, but it's also his first move in FFV. Then for the second phase of his fight, he drags the players into another plane of existence for a good old psychadelic-arena final boss, and while it's never stated it is clearly supposed to be the Interdimensional Rift, the FFV end dungeon where Shinryu was first fought.

There's also something that HAS to be a reference, it's too specific, but I have no idea what to. When the players destroy Shinryu's tail after he lays it on the platform, it says 'Shinryu suffers 396960 points of damage!' I can't find what has or deals that amount of HP in Final Fantasy, so I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Also there's at least six loving Hamilton references across dialog and mission texts, and that's just the ones I noticed and counted.

I don't know if it's connected but in Dissidia 012 the entire reoccuring cycle is Shinryuu eating the accumulated power and memories of the heroes and villains to grow its own power. Gilgamesh and Shinryuu are explicitly the FFV incarnations, and all of the incarnations of Gilgamesh across the FF series are the same guy.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
PF and Somfin:Stop this dumb argument now it's aggressively dull

Little Thing in Final Fantasy franchise: Gilgamesh the dimension jumping sword collector, who absolutely deserves his own game.

Little Thing in super ancient game Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return; They had exactly one voice actor who voices every unnamed NPC in the game, and they are very bad at hiding this. It's adorable, and I feel like it kinda fits the storybook vibe the game has.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Oct 19, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know if it's connected but in Dissidia 012 the entire reoccuring cycle is Shinryuu eating the accumulated power and memories of the heroes and villains to grow its own power. Gilgamesh and Shinryuu are explicitly the FFV incarnations, and all of the incarnations of Gilgamesh across the FF series are the same guy.

It's not a reference, because this Shinryu isn't explicitly FFV Shinryu, he's just conspicuously similar. FFXIV Shinryu is a single man's fanatical desire for bloody revolution channeled into a pair of dragon's eyes to be given physical form.

FFXIV Omega, though, IS strongly implied to be FFV Omega. And as usual FFXIV Gilgamesh is FFV Gilgamesh, but they go a little further than usual and have his arc explicitly involve Enkidu. That connection was always played as a gag until Shinryu rocked up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Take your slapfight to PMs no one gives a poo poo