Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

SwitchbladeKult posted:

A guy at my office is convinced Christians are expelled if they are caught praying in public schools, even public Universities. I've tried to correct him but he just waits patiently till I'm done explaining I used to be part of a Christian student club at a public University to tell me how wrong I am and how oppressed Christians are.

I had a cab driver who said that Muslims got Christmas cancelled in Brisbane. I told him that never happened and he insisted that I 'go look it up'. I explained - thinking he was merely misguided - that the first time this did the rounds was in Manchester in the early 90's and it's been going ever since with only the location constantly changing and he just kept telling me to go look it up. Some people can't fathom that their story which confirms their deeply-held beliefs might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Last week President Trump issued an executive order rolling back President Obama’s executive order to subsidize insurance companies. The subsidies reimburse the companies for reducing certain out-of-pocket expenses to policy holders.

The only problem is Congress refused to appropriate money for the subsidies. So Obama whipped out his pen and phone and and started spending the money anyway. And Trump continued that practice. But a federal district court judge says that’s illegal.

This week two Republican senators, Tom Cotton and Pat Toomey, introduced a bill to to partially end the individual mandate, no longer requiring some people to buy health insurance.

Yesterday two more Senators, Republican Lamar Alexander and Democrat Patty Murray, made a deal to keep the subsidies alive. Trump said nice things about it last night but withdrew support today.

Time.com tries to explain what’s going here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The gaybies need a “literally doesn’t understand insurance” category.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, just do it. I wrote a sarcastic email to Brooke McEldowney once (of 9 Chickweed Lane) complaining about his comic strip, and got an equally vitriolic letter back.

Don't be a dick to people with anxiety. Also, I've got a defunct joke account I don't care about so why the hell not.
https://twitter.com/Pepeboner69/status/920849460829097984

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Hey so I was wondering how some terrible comic artists who i never see in newspapers would look, with their art printed in a lovely newspaper on lovely newsprint in black & white.

Here was an attempt to do that with a recent one featuring Trump

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Couple of trash fires burning this week, makes me wonder how OBAMA DISRESPECTED OUR MILITARY BY MAKING THEM HOLD AN UMBRELLA will approach it. Exciting!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

Plus, all the things on the web are good things.

Equal pay for women, also stop sexually assaulting them! Stop shooting everyone!

I mean, what sort of worthless gently caress head do you have to be to look at those things and say "Yeah, gently caress those ideas."?
It is a rhetorical question, we all already know.

The cartoon makes sense if you agree with ISIS's views on women.

Allowing them to work/drive is the real misogyny because the times they're out of the control of their husband or male family member is when they get assaulted.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crazycryodude posted:

Don't be a dick to people with anxiety. Also, I've got a defunct joke account I don't care about so why the hell not.
https://twitter.com/Pepeboner69/status/920849460829097984

I feel like you should have some backup edits to reply with just in case he tweets back.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

e: nm

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Despera posted:

Getting conservatives to hate guns is as easy as giving them to black men.

Indeed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
He's thinking of the Branches of Tree Mathematics. Common mistake.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Winslow would totally remember Jeb! because he's the young hip with it dank memer of the two.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Radiolab does a spin-off podcast called More Perfect, about the Supreme Court. They just did the history of gun control as it relates to the NRA and it's fascinating.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BoK's cartoon is basically "Well, we don't want EVERYONE to have access to healthcare."

That's the thing the GOP doesn't want people to realize: that they fully back the idea that you should die if you are too poor. Although these days you may hear it from alpha manchildren accompanied with quotes from Rand and John Smith. The honesty is refreshing, at least :smith:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

You don't even have to go back this far. During the Ferguson protests the Oath Keepers showed up, walking around open carrying ARs. One of them decided that the black residents of Ferguson should also start open carrying.

Suddenly the Oath Keepers were very much against that idea

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-oath-keeper-who-wants-to-arm-black-lives-matter-20160103

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fathis Munk posted:

You don't even have to go back this far. During the Ferguson protests the Oath Keepers showed up, walking around open carrying ARs. One of them decided that the black residents of Ferguson should also start open carrying.

Suddenly the Oath Keepers were very much against that idea

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-oath-keeper-who-wants-to-arm-black-lives-matter-20160103

Ha. "Wait, these white gun nuts I've joined up with are... R-r-r-racists?!"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CNN posted:

(CNN)In his first comments after Donald Trump said he intended to decertify the Iran nuclear deal, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader, on Wednesday called the US president "foul-mouthed" and someone who "pretends to be an idiot."

Speaking before a group of what was described by his office as "hundreds of young elites and outstanding scientific talents," Khamenei said that the European opposition to Trump's decision was "good, but not enough."

"The Europeans must stand up against the US measures ... including the sanctions they anticipate to emerge from Congress," he said.

Last week President Trump said Iran was violating the nuclear accord and has threatened to withdraw the US from the deal of which several countries, including Russia, China, and the EU, are all also party to. So far, the other participants have said the deal stands.

Of Iran's commitment to upholding the nuclear deal itself, Khamenei said that "so long as the other side has not torn up the JCPOA, we will not tear it up either," he said, referring to the accord which is known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

Wow, what a crazy guy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
You gotta read between the lines, it's the words he didn't use.

Also taqueria.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

That's a little harsh. Nobody would actually say...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...soldiers-widow/

... HOLY poo poo :aaa:

Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.) posted:

“She was crying the whole time, and when she hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part.”

:allbuttons:

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 19, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish to god "he knew what he signed up for" would have half the loving staying power as an incriminating, callous phrase as half the poo poo the right still bandy about re: Obama or the Clintons.
But realistically, I doubt we'll see much of it again within a week. Meanwhile we'll still be getting "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" cartoons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vib Rib posted:

I wish to god "he knew what he signed up for" would have half the loving staying power as an incriminating, callous phrase as half the poo poo the right still bandy about re: Obama or the Clintons.
But realistically, I doubt we'll see much of it again within a week. Meanwhile we'll still be getting "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" cartoons.

Don't worry, Trump will do something stupid again by next Tuesday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I doubt most people appreciate the difference between some random guy saying that and the commander of the whole military saying it. I dunno how exactly to capture that difference in a cartoon though.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt most people appreciate the difference between some random guy saying that and the commander of the whole military saying it. I dunno how exactly to capture that difference in a cartoon though.

And people wonder why Brittoons look like they do.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there wolf posted:

I feel like you should have some backup edits to reply with just in case he tweets back.

He won't, he'll just block. It's the McCoy Bros that get riled up.

e -

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the context of that?

My friend was saying the other day John Oliver had said some time after the election something to the effect of "Trump is so narcissistic that he might be the first president incapable of the simple task of offering condolences to the spouse of a fallen soldier" - I can't imagine there's been an episode of LWT since Trump said "he knew what he signed up for"? But it seems perfect for the prediction. :v:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Let's see the results of this sorted by political affiliation, drunky.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

What difference does it make?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

What's the context of that?

My friend was saying the other day John Oliver had said some time after the election something to the effect of "Trump is so narcissistic that he might be the first president incapable of the simple task of offering condolences to the spouse of a fallen soldier" - I can't imagine there's been an episode of LWT since Trump said "he knew what he signed up for"? But it seems perfect for the prediction. :v:

Oliver caught Trump in a blatant falsehood and was pointing out the pointlessness of doing so, as Trump is nothing BUT blatant falsehoods and nobody cares.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vib Rib posted:

Could you loving imagine if Obama had said "I like guys who weren't captured" in 2008?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pakled posted:

Could you loving imagine if Obama had said "I like guys who weren't captured" in 2008?
If Obama did literally anything Trump did we'd never hear the end of it.

Including being president. :ssh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

If Obama did literally anything Trump did we'd never hear the end of it.

Including being president. :ssh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the right doesn't care about anything other than "You're on our side, right?". It doesn't matter if you are a sexual predator, as long as you are theirs. Doesn't matter if you are a religious fundamentalist, as long as you are theirs. Doesn't matter if you are incapable of being a human with emotions, as long as you are theirs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ularg posted:

... sexual predator... religious fundamentalist... incapable of being a human with emotions

You've just described the right itself

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iron Crowned posted:

You've just described the right itself

Yea, but if those appeared on someone who called themselves a liberal we'd hear no end of it. Which is my point. They don't really care about those things. To them the biggest mistake you can make is calling yourself a liberal and anything else is just ammunition to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Ularg posted:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the right doesn't care about anything other than "You're on our side, right?". It doesn't matter if you are a sexual predator, as long as you are theirs. Doesn't matter if you are a religious fundamentalist, as long as you are theirs. Doesn't matter if you are incapable of being a human with emotions, as long as you are theirs.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i-dont-know-how-to-explain-to-you-that-you-should_us_59519811e4b0f078efd98440

• Locked thread