Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmmm, should I go Litko or Team Cov for templates and tokens? (I am in Canada. If there's any Canadian ones let me know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Honestly, whatever looks best and is in your budget.

Team Cov is always on the higher end of the cost curve for their custom tokens and stuff. They look great and are well-made. Source: I have most of their stuff (they're my local store and I've won most of their stuff in assorted tournaments)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't like either of those. The Litko ones are too generic looking, and I don't like the fluorescent acrylic they use. Team Covenant's go too far the other way, they're a visually busy design.
I consider a "full" template set to be all the templates plus 3 range rulers. Buying that at Team Covenant is $55 USD, which is too much IMO.

I really like the templates from Kraken Skulls. A full set is $28-48 depending on options (mirrored acrylic costs more)
https://www.krakenskulls.com/store/c11/X_Wing_Movement_and_Range_Templates.html

There's a shop on Etsy called Curled Paw Creatives that I really like. Their template set is $20, and I think I like their tokens the best out of any of the people who make them.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CurledPawCreatives?section_id=18639890

Recreator Studios does good templates and tokens. I like the graphics on their templates a lot, it's very readable with good typesetting.
http://recreatorstudios.com/collections/1105782-x-wing-compatible

For evade/focus/stress/shields, the metal Broken Egg tokens are the raddest things on the table (but they're $10 for a 5 pack :homebrew:)
http://www.brokenegggames.com/enhancements/starwarsgaming.html

Here are the templates my wife bought me a couple months ago from Kraken Skulls. She bought a cut tray from Highbridge Design on Etsy, and then painted it up including painting the X-Wing.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/399128179/deluxe-x-wing-miniatures-template-tray?ref=shop_home_feat_4

The templates are mirrored, with the Rebel Logo etched in it. It really pops on the table when there's a dark background behind it highlighting the cut parts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm def gonna get those broken egg tokens.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've talked to Alex Davy personally and he cares a lot about X-Wing and the meta.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The idea that testers are sitting on these broken combos just so they can maybe use them in a tournament 8+ months later in a meta that they hadnt accounted for, in a world where the internet exists and anything and everything will be recorded and spread to the masses in less than 24 hours is retarded sorry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Also the idea that paul heaver of all people needs to do this is :laffo:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Also the idea that paul heaver of all people needs to do this is :laffo:

Just saying someone is telling a fib or is clueless. The immortal 4 ship Biggs/Wookie list had to have been playtested. People predicted it before launch. If you held a gun to my head I would say FFG is clueless and barely pays attention to testers who are not FFG employees.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FFG doesn't care about X-Wing, people.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

[quote="Raged" post="477477949"]
Just saying someone is telling a fib or is clueless. The immortal 4 ship Biggs/Wookie list had to have been playtested. People predicted it before launch. If you held a gun to my head I would say FFG is clueless and barely pays attention to testers who are not FFG employees.

I imagine some opinions are valued more than others when it comes to testing.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My flgs applied for the NSW regional this year and I helped with the proposal. We found out last night we did not get it. Good thing is we only reason we did not get it was because we have never run a high tier event like a regional before and we were given the Armada regional to see how it is handled. If it goes well we should get the X-Wing regional next year.

Sadly the owner has decided to cut the prices on all the Armada stuff till the regional next year. Looks like I am getting into armada now too. What are some good Armada resources? Probably going to just build one top tier list and run with that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I imagine some opinions are valued more than others when it comes to testing.

There's also that adage about 100 hours of playtesting being worth 1 hour of release.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Raged posted:

My flgs applied for the NSW regional this year and I helped with the proposal. We found out last night we did not get it. Good thing is we only reason we did not get it was because we have never run a high tier event like a regional before and we were given the Armada regional to see how it is handled. If it goes well we should get the X-Wing regional next year.

Sadly the owner has decided to cut the prices on all the Armada stuff till the regional next year. Looks like I am getting into armada now too. What are some good Armada resources? Probably going to just build one top tier list and run with that.

https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com

This is from a pair of guys who play a lot at my FLGS. They have lots of information on the various ships and commanders.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Raged posted:

There's probably a time gap between when testing gets wrapped up and when stuff gets publicly announced/actually gets released. If testing needs to be wrapped up before then, it isn't inconceivable that something gets found after the wrap up is complete, but by then it is too late.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Orvin posted:

https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com

This is from a pair of guys who play a lot at my FLGS. They have lots of information on the various ships and commanders.

Thanks, I want to try to buy just the ships I need instead of buying every single drat thing like I did with X-Wing

Tekopo posted:

There's probably a time gap between when testing gets wrapped up and when stuff gets publicly announced/actually gets released. If testing needs to be wrapped up before then, it isn't inconceivable that something gets found after the wrap up is complete, but by then it is too late.

You are probably right. In the end, it doesn't matter and nothing to get grumpy about.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Good luck with your Armada stuff.

Personally, I feel it's a beautiful game with some great design decisions that somehow manages to be boring as hell.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
At least FF can errata some cards and abilities they feel are overpowered. :shrug:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Good luck with your Armada stuff.

Personally, I feel it's a beautiful game with some great design decisions that somehow manages to be boring as hell.

We will see how it goes. Plenty of interest at the shop since the regional announcement. Absolute worst case is that I don't like it too much and just help run the regional. I want it to succeed so we get the X-Wing regional next year.

I remember saying one game system was enough for me. Now I have legion on preorder and am starting to get practice in for X-Wing regionals and am learning Armada to hopefully be good enough for a regional in 4 months.

I have no willpower

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

We will see how it goes. Plenty of interest at the shop since the regional announcement. Absolute worst case is that I don't like it too much and just help run the regional. I want it to succeed so we get the X-Wing regional next year.

I remember saying one game system was enough for me. Now I have legion on preorder and am starting to get practice in for X-Wing regionals and am learning Armada to hopefully be good enough for a regional in 4 months.

I have no willpower

I know a lot of people who love it. It's just not for me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Seems pretty official

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Seems pretty official

Sweet just in time for special needs Dengar and his fat friends to make an appearance at the local tourney next weekend

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
This is a Kickstarter game with a really neat X-Wing style movement system. It's ultra-small so you can get some of that maneuvering fix in a pocket-portable game. The $29 pledge also includes an attractive 3'x3' mat (suitable for X-Wing, if anyone plays that - it's water-themed, but could be cool if you want your ships skimming across a body of water like Episode 7). Alternatively, a cheap $9 gets you the full game minus the mat.

Leviathan: 2-player nautical combat "micro" card game inspired by Moby Dick

It's ending soon and still short of being fulfilled, so thought I'd share it around a few different places!

Also... anyone interested in a mega-rare TIE Booty? Spotted at a Barnes & Noble, which I've been searching obsessively (but unsuccessfully) for any Wave 11 ships.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is The Rebel Four Ship build, or are there multiple? Lowie, Biggs, ???, ???

I could guess Rex but that doesn't leave a lot of points for damage output.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yep, Rex. And Jess Pava is the 4th ship.

http://www.meta-wing.com/ship_combos/6007

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyonero posted:

Yep, Rex. And Jess Pava is the 4th ship.

http://www.meta-wing.com/ship_combos/6007

No joke, I remembered Jess existed after I posted.

Auzituck Gunship: •Lowhhrick (30)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

X-Wing: •Biggs Darklighter (26)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R4-D6 (1)

TIE Fighter: •Captain Rex (18)
•Sabine's Masterpiece (1)
Tactician (2)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)

T-70 X-Wing: •Jess Pava (26)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R2-D6 (1)
Trick Shot (0)

Total: 100/100

Is Pattern Analyzer that important for this list?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you're trying to make it super survivable, you want Selflessness on Low and Draw Their Fire on Jess.

That leaves you points for either tactician or pattern analyzer. PA is really nice on Jess to keep her actions even if you take a red move.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

In that list, I usually use Rey and Chopper with Lowhhrick with better results.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I also thought up this.

Auzituck Gunship: •Lowhhrick (31)
Draw Their Fire (1)
•Jan Ors (2)

X-Wing: •Biggs Darklighter (26)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R4-D6 (1)

TIE Fighter: •Captain Rex (14)

T-70 X-Wing: •Jess Pava (29)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R2-D6 (1)
•Swarm Leader (3)

Total: 100/100

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is The Rebel Four Ship build, or are there multiple? Lowie, Biggs, ???, ???

I could guess Rex but that doesn't leave a lot of points for damage output.

You don;;t need damage output when it's next to impossible to kill you.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

You don;;t need damage output when it's next to impossible to kill you.

Yeah, the point of that list isn't to win through dealing out damage, it's to wear your opponent down and probably go to time.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, the point of that list isn't to win through dealing out damage, it's to wear your opponent down and probably go to time.

It's a miserable way to win. I did BBYZZ at a tournament and almost all my games went to time. Never flying a list like that again at a tourney.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
US Regional dates and locations : https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/events/2017-regional-championships/x-wing/

Edit: here's the non draft link (I don't think the content is any different): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/events/2017-regional-championships/x-wing/

canyonero fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 19, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
closest to be is like 2 1/2 hours away, so I can safely ignore regionals. That's probably for the best.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm no where near skilled enough for a regional, but there's one happening in March at the store I frequent for X-Wing like 30 minutes away from me. I might attend my first regional and get stomped!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Swarm Leader Jess is quite the punch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What do you even pair that with

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SnapCrack A-Wing mini swarm?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fava beans and a nice chianti?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
Swarm Leader (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Snap Shot (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Snap Shot (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

This list murders things. It's a bit of an awkward formation to fly but it is hard to joust. You have 3 points to play with, which could be autothrusters on one a-wing, pattern analyser on Jess etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think youre better off not flying in formation with the A's. They do nothing for you when you all k-turn. I'd think you'd rather flank with them so they can hard turn in and still feed you evades the turn Jess flips. But that cuts down on her rerolls so maybe cutting biggs for 2 Zs would be better?

• Locked thread