Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Flicker Alley is probably my favorite niche studio because they release stuff no one else really would, besides Kino. Except they are almost obsessive about quality. Top-notch encodes for the most part, 2K and 4K restorations, and gorgeous packaging (Criterion cases and always with booklets).

I thought Flicker Alley tended to be overcompressed on the couple of occasions that their releases have been put head to head with others (usually BFI and/or Masters of Cinema) since they cram so much on their Blu-rays?

The Man with the Movie Camera in particular is one I remember getting called out for this problem.

On the other hand, it looks like their Chaplin Essanay set is on par with BFI, so maybe it's on a release-by-release basis...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I thought Flicker Alley tended to be overcompressed on the couple of occasions that their releases have been put head to head with others (usually BFI and/or Masters of Cinema) since they cram so much on their Blu-rays?

The Man with the Movie Camera in particular is one I remember getting called out for this problem.

On the other hand, it looks like their Chaplin Essanay set is on par with BFI, so maybe it's on a release-by-release basis...

The Man with a Movie Camera isn't exactly their problem. It's literally the French edition with different artwork and branched Flicker Alley menus to appear if played on a Region A machine. They did the same thing with Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run since Arrow split costs with them. You can buy the Arrow editions and they'll show up with Flicker Alley menus/logos on a Region A machine.

The Mutuals set is actually quite nice, but BFI did some extra color grading on a few films, as well as add commentaries and an entire extra set of musical scores. The Essanay set is nearly identical, other than the BFI edition using a different print of one of the bonus shorts. I got the BFI edition mainly to get the Carl Davis scores on all 12 films. They've been working with the same guy who usually does encodes for Arrow, BFI, and MoC. I think Man and Mutual were flukes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Criterion 50% off flash sale until noon eastern

https://www.criterion.com

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm having trouble deciding what to get so I'm going to get whatever the next goon to reply tells me to buy that isn't Seven Samurai, La Jetee, or: The 120 Days of Sodom

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Steve Yun posted:

I'm having trouble deciding what to get so I'm going to get whatever the next goon to reply tells me to buy that isn't Seven Samurai, La Jetee, or: The 120 Days of Sodom

400 blows

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Done. I need to get educated about French new wave anyways

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Army of Shadows is a really good film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

smallmouth posted:

Army of Shadows is a really good film.

While it's OOP in the US, StudioCanal UK just released a set of Melville films with Le Doulos, Bob le Flambeur, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, and Un Flic.

They also put out some Godard and Bunuel sets with all the films that went OOP.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Do they you know if they have Hour of the Wolf?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

smallmouth posted:

Do they you know if they have Hour of the Wolf?

The Bergman film? Looks like MGM has let/is letting the licenses lapse on the Svensk Filmindustri films, so probably. MGM had the rights via United Artists for Persona, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, Passion of Anna, and The Serpent's Egg.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Bergman film? Looks like MGM has let/is letting the licenses lapse on the Svensk Filmindustri films, so probably. MGM had the rights via United Artists for Persona, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, Passion of Anna, and The Serpent's Egg.

Thanks. According to this it hasn't been released on BD yet. http://www.blu-ray.com/Hour-of-the-Wolf/136549/#Releases Hopefully soon then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am expecting lots of Bergman this year will be his 100 birthday

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Next year. Criterion probably has some good stuff planned.

Speaking of anniversaries, it's really strange that Fox/Lucasfilm isn't doing anything special for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. I guess they don't want to overshadow The Last Jedi, but it's really weird given there's a 4K restoration completed. Not even a repackaging or at least a Fathom event.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Egbert Souse posted:

Next year. Criterion probably has some good stuff planned.

Speaking of anniversaries, it's really strange that Fox/Lucasfilm isn't doing anything special for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. I guess they don't want to overshadow The Last Jedi, but it's really weird given there's a 4K restoration completed. Not even a repackaging or at least a Fathom event.

They are showing all of the movies in a special event in theaters leading up to The Last Jedi. Not sure if they specified what version of the films.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Harlock posted:

They are showing all of the movies in a special event in theaters leading up to The Last Jedi. Not sure if they specified what version of the films.

Eugh, that means the first three movies they show are gonna be...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Eugh, that means the first three movies they show are gonna be...

You guess it, Holiday Special, Caravan of Courage, and The Battle for Endor

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Clone Wars movie featuring the baby Hutt

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Harlock posted:

They've done that for TFA and Rogue One before though. The only strictly 40th Anniversary things they've done are a few panels at Celebration, an anthology book with a bunch of bad short stories, and the requisite toys and shirts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would be soooo down for a 4k restoration on the big screen. Pity that's not going to happen. Not even some special edition bullshit.

The highlight of the 40th anniversary is a story about Carrie Fisher letting some creepy producer know she was on to him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No Turkish Star Wars = Not Interested.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

No Turkish Star Wars = Not Interested.

Turkish Star Wars is not available tonight so its part will be played by Brazilian Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tMPpkA458

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSO6jnoKC9c

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If they're going to keep re-releasing Star Wars and not give us the original cuts they could at least have the deceny to do one where they replace the score with the versions of the music featured on the album Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If they finally decided to show the original 1977 version of Star Wars in the theater, they should give it a retro flair like use vintage theater tags and other 1977 trailers before the film to simulate what Memorial Day '77 viewers saw.

Also, someone found a pristine 35mm print of "Turkish Star Wars" and was working on getting it scanned and restored.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
DVD Beaver has caps of Arrow's The Thing: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_73/the_thing_blu-ray.htm
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. There's not much in the way of more detail, if any. Arrow's BD looks softer, which may not be a bad thing 'cause Shout's BD had a slightly harsh, digital look with traces of sharpening. The darkest areas are noticeably grainier. The colours are, occasionally, wildly different.

I also found this comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121123/picture:0
I think I prefer the colours of the Shout here, but Arrow had both Carpenter and Cundey look it over, so... you know.

bobkatt013 posted:

Some of his films not available elsewhere are out on BD in Germany, for some reason. I've seen some caps from Winter Light and they looked amazing. Clearly a fairly new 4K scan. I've been tempted to buy some of them, but my understanding of Swedish is merely ok (German non-existent), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for English or Danish-friendly releases.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

If they finally decided to show the original 1977 version of Star Wars in the theater

I think it was Gareth Edwards who confirmed that the 4K restoration of Star Wars he was shown was the cut that's on the Blu-rays, not the original.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Steen71 posted:

I also found this comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121123/picture:0
I think I prefer the colours of the Shout here, but Arrow had both Carpenter and Cundey look it over, so... you know.

Holy crap. The Arrow version has way less detail and a complete shift from cool to warm colors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Arrow's was supervised by Carpenter so maybe that's what he wanted?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I see waaay more detail in the Arrow release's shadows. It's just not digitally sharpened as much as the other release, and the contrast isn't cranked up as much. I also vastly prefer the warmer color palette - the blue feels like modern color grading where cold = blue no matter what. The oranges and yellows emphasize the artificial nature of the light in an environment where it's foreign and unnatural.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Arrow looks VERY unnatural to me. #6 specifically stands out as if it were taking place inside of a foundry. Even setting aside the colors, it looks way too bright for what should be a pretty dark and dank section of the base.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think I prefer the warmer one :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, that's definitely a huge difference. I think I prefer the warmer one too. The cooler one looks more realistic in some shots but less realistic in others. The warmer one looks more cinematic, if that makes sense.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are there comparison shots from some other part of the movie?

edit: Never mind, I found it on DVD Beaver. It seems like the old blu-ray that came out before the Shout Factory release is a decent middle around between the Arrow and the Shout because I can't say I like either of them especially.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2017

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

It seems like the old blu-ray that came out before the Shout Factory release is a decent middle around between the Arrow and the Shout because I can't say I like either of them especially.

The Universal BD has been subjected to some digital noise reduction though, so it has its own share of problems.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=8845&d2=4145&s1=85027&s2=38566&i=9&l=0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber will be releasing The Garden of Allah (one of the first 3-strip Technicolor features) and Powell & Pressburger's Gone to Earth both early next year.

Both of which never had US DVD releases, as they're "deeper cuts" in the Selznick International library owned by Disney. Both had full restorations in the 90s, so they should look nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

The Universal BD has been subjected to some digital noise reduction though, so it has its own share of problems.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=8845&d2=4145&s1=85027&s2=38566&i=9&l=0

I guess the Arrow version has more accurate color timing because I've seen The Thing in 35mm and it does look like that, but the Shout Factory disc seems to have a sharper picture with more detail. If I had to choose I'd go with Arrow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My Criterions have arrived, and now I realized they are my first Criterion Blurays. I am struggling with whether to put them in blue cases.

In an ideal world all bluray cases would have been clear like criterions and PS3 games.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Steve Yun posted:

My Criterions have arrived, and now I realized they are my first Criterion Blurays. I am struggling with whether to put them in blue cases.

Mods?!?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Steve Yun posted:

In an ideal world all bluray cases would have been clear like criterions and PS3 games.

How dare you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The majority of Vinegar Syndrome's Blus come in clear cases, the blue cases are on older releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The criterions are a little thicker, so you'll need to trim the cover a little bit for it to fit in the blue cases, but it's totally worth it.

• Locked thread