Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

A 2/2 cadet?!? Either someone pissed off their CO bad enough to get busted all the way back to basic training, or that's Amuro Rey himself in that Mist Lynx.

Clan pilot names are sometimes meaningful and sometimes meaningless.

This one's a "Mary Sue" in training

Everyone in the reinforcement star is named, in some fashion, after the act of pursuit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strobe posted:

That also said, I think the Spider jumping this turn alerts the patrolling 'Mech on the major thoroughfare, which I somewhat doubt we're equipped to deal with right now.

Actually, I was thinking about something like this to avoid getting spotted by the 'Mech on the thoroughfare:

Poptarts Ninja, will I be able to avoid the 'Mech in 1024's LoS if I move like this?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No. You end your movement 3 levels above the level of the target's underlying terrain, which means you'd be visible as if you were at level 9.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The spider wants to go for a push attack, not a DFA, if you want to knock the Horned Owl down. The Quickdraw can also jump on top of the parking garage to engage with it's guns as well.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mary Annette posted:

A 2/2 cadet?!? Either someone pissed off their CO bad enough to get busted all the way back to basic training, or that's Amuro Rey himself in that Mist Lynx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsQSJzmd1A

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strobe posted:

No. You end your movement 3 levels above the level of the target's underlying terrain, which means you'd be visible as if you were at level 9.

Oh, right. Forgot about that.

Gwaihir posted:

The spider wants to go for a push attack, not a DFA, if you want to knock the Horned Owl down. The Quickdraw can also jump on top of the parking garage to engage with it's guns as well.

I didn't want to knock it down, I wanted to knock it off the building entirely (or at least from the height 6 hex it's on to the height 2 hex adjacent to it). If I remember the rules for displacing enemy 'Mechs in physical combat correctly, I can only move them in a straight line, so push from hexes 0937, 1037, 0838 or 0939 wouldn't be able to knock it into 0837.

So it looks like that option's off the table for now.

Also, the Quickdraw only has 5 jump jets and I thought you needed to have a number of jets equal to the height you were trying to jump to?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah I missed the height 6 portion of the top deck. I thought it was just height 2 and 4.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, but they might have LOS from one the stadium ridge hexes, which we know they can reach.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
One star is gone. There is a risk with this that it pokes the bear, but in truth? It'd be spectacular. You are the ultimate arbiters of your collective time in the cockpit, we'll enjoy watching the outcomes of your decisions regardless.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Well, I'm too slow to help push left, as are most of the Mechs over here, not to mention we're all facing the wrong way. I think it really is best case scenario of as many of us that have weapons with range to hit it to keep moving on that Mist Lynx and hope we get lucky. The upshot of that is that the Dragon's Teeth Apartments are well blocking LOS to any other Clan Mechs (for a change), so we are more or less free to engage him at peak violence. Hopefully we can take him out, because we're gonna be facing off against a Light, a Medium, and a Heavy Mech when we try to cross the street to the HQs. Also, I'm betting the Heavy is on the left side of the map. It had a lower Mech density to begin with, so tactically I would backstop that with something that would slow players down and cause problems if they tried to rush it.

Also, I was plotting out moves, and I think I might be able to get a shot on it. I can move to Hex 2137, turn, and advance to Hex 1835. Now I'd be facing Hex 1735, but would I be able to torso twist to fire LRMS and LBXs at the Mist Lynx? In case it matters, LRMS are in my head, right and left torso, while the LBXs are in my right and left arms. The right side being able to fire seems correct to me, but not sure about head/left side of my body. The Lynx is amazing JUST inside medium range for both of them, so I'm looking at 10s to hit. Not ideal certainly, but the more rolls against it the better.

Corollary to shooting, would it make sense to use Cluster ammo for the better to-hit (although shooting a shotgun down an alley filled with my friends sounds hilariously Poor Life Choices to me), or Slug and let the dice fall where they may, hoping to blow off/open a component?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Von Rohrs

Moving to 2336 in prep to run for the objective or get a line on the Lynx. I don't think I ever have a shot at that Owl.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Centurion

Since I'm behidn the big urby ball I can turn left and come over toward the west side of the map. I can't do much about a light on top of a height six building I'm standing at the base of, but I can shoot the drat building if you guys aren't planning on having a sky high rumble up there.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH
Also, I was plotting out moves, and I think I might be able to get a shot on it. I can move to Hex 2137, turn, and advance to Hex 1835. Now I'd be facing Hex 1735, but would I be able to torso twist to fire LRMS and LBXs at the Mist Lynx? In case it matters, LRMS are in my head, right and left torso, while the LBXs are in my right and left arms. The right side being able to fire seems correct to me, but not sure about head/left side of my body. The Lynx is amazing JUST inside medium range for both of them, so I'm looking at 10s to hit. Not ideal certainly, but the more rolls against it the better.
PTN will have you torso twist to face 1834, at which point you can fire everything at the Myst Lynx, not just the right arm. The easy way to look at it is to use the three new front facing hexes - 1735, 1834, and 1935. You can fire any of your front-facing weapons in that arc. (It doesn't matter in this case, but if you'd said to fire everything and couldn't torso twist enough, PTN would most likely have you fire what you could and not fire the rest.)

quote:

Corollary to shooting, would it make sense to use Cluster ammo for the better to-hit (although shooting a shotgun down an alley filled with my friends sounds hilariously Poor Life Choices to me), or Slug and let the dice fall where they may, hoping to blow off/open a component?
Surprisingly enough, there aren't any penalties for shooting shotguns right past your allies, so don't let that impact your decision. It's up to you if moving from 10s (~17%) to 9s (~28%) is worth giving up your chance to crit any component you hit except the CT.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 19, 2017

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

If I run, I can make it to 2432 and fire at the Mist Lynx, unless turning while running over wreckage on pavement will cause me to pratfall. If that'll work, I think I'll be able to do more good chasing after the Mist Lynx than jumping towards the Horned Owl.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Since it doesn't look like I can help out much against the scout on the left, I'm considering just running to 2134 and firing on the Mist Lynx. Should be exactly max range for me at 9 hexes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

Since it doesn't look like I can help out much against the scout on the left, I'm considering just running to 2134 and firing on the Mist Lynx. Should be exactly max range for me at 9 hexes.

Edit: Nevermind, jump five won't clear a height 6 building. Derp.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Does the 'Mech in 1024 have LoS to 1037, or is it another one of those instances where LoS barely clips the edge of the building and denies LoS?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's absolutely a straight line.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

I think you would be shooting on 13s (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement). If you want a shot that's possible, I think you can get LOS by jumping onto the stadium wall (i.e. 1336) and shooting the Horned Owl in the back on 12s (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement). I would confirm LOS with PTN though.

(Although 1235 is possible, I think the 'Mech patrolling the road might be able to see you when it walks through 0825)

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 19, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Time to go loud and drive for the objective.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Alchenar posted:

Time to go loud and drive for the objective.

This

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Hitman/Mongoose

If we're going loud, I can kick on the MASC and start running the Hitman towards the objectives. It'll definitely set off everyone else, but I can start getting eyes on objectives in the next few turns. The Mongoose can start moving up and help provide a bit of fire as well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The more I look at the map, the more I agree that we should start making a push north.

The Mist Lynx is not likely to get killed this turn, and next turn can end up in 2524 and be pretty much out of our reach. The Horned Owl is mostly untouchable where it currently is, and would be more than happy to have the Spider come to it.

I'm thinking we should take positions this turn in preparation for rushing north. Since we're kinda scattered below the stadium right now, we can try forming two groups, one on the left side of the stadium to rush up the 10xx column, and the other within the apartment complex to rush up the 19xx column.

The other possibility is to just rush the Mech in 1024 and punch through as one blob, but I'm still leaning towards forming up first out of that Mech's LOS because next turn, the Mech in 1820 will move up north and be out of position to contest the push.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, you all done good to kill five mechs and have a comfortable two and a half rounds left before the alarm goes off. Time to blow up the base and run home while killing as many defenders as possible.

You can still do a lot of damage and possibly kill the Mist Lynx this turn if you take the shots while lining up alone the long alley though. It would only slow you down a tiny bit.
Last game I advocated moving fast from the start, but if the Mist Lynx takes major damage it would make things easier. It could be used to block movement and take back-shots.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 20, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

anakha posted:

The more I look at the map, the more I agree that we should start making a push north.

I'm thinking we should take positions this turn in preparation for rushing north. Since we're kinda scattered below the stadium right now, we can try forming two groups, one on the left side of the stadium to rush up the 10xx column, and the other within the apartment complex to rush up the 19xx column.

The two lines of advance on either side of the stadium make sense to me, but I don't see much need to spend a turn forming up, especially on the west side. Our bugs have the speed to deny LOS at will in this environment, and should take advantage of it. The Hitman and Spider can reach 425/426 this turn, and if the mech at 1024 gives chase, it'll leave the Horned Falcon alone to try and slow the push up the 10xx-line.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I won't advise whether to go loud or not--but if you do go loud it's best to move as quickly as you can. You need to know where the target is and what the target is so you can plan.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PM'd PTN and it looks like I can actually jump to the stadium walls in 1336 and not be spotted by the units patrolling the middle of the map.

Quick and dirty diagramming appears to show I can fire on the Horned Owl from that position:

Let me know if you guys want me to occupy the Horned Owl while you make the push north.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Center mass to center mass, but you should still be fine. Partial cover at worst.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I don't think it's quite time for the group to be splitting and having some head north yet- Finish what you're engaged with now while grouping up, because I don't think there's a way to get eyes on the CP without alerting a third and fourth mech, and the bulk of your force is still at least 4-6 turns from even being able to get close to any of the HQ locations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Whether we go or whether we stay, my move is the same.

2333, leaving 2432 for the Charger to get into mpls range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You should be able to finish both of your currently alerted targets without any risk of the more northern groups spotting you, then you have a chance to get your slow 4/6es all up through those twisty buildings in position to bum rush those patrollers on the big highway.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Barring a very lucky shot this turn (and we've already had our share), if the Mist Lynx wants to escape, it can.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Orders due tonight, folks. Here's mine, for the record:

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 2 hexes to Hex 2137 (2mp)
Rotate 1 hex facing to face Hex 2036 (1mp)
Run forward 3 hexes to Hex 1835 (3mp)

SHOOTING:
Torso twist to face Hex 1834
Contingency 1: Hold Fire until after the Sentinel and Charger have fired
Contingency 2: If the Mist Lynx is still alive, then:
Fire 2 LBX with Slug Ammo at the Mist Lynx in Hex 3029
Fire 3 LRM-5 at the Mist Lynx in Hex 3029

I figure with only two other Mechs getting fire on the Mist Lynx, hitting with a few shards of cluster ammo is not likely to result in a wrecked Mech (everyone please laugh at me if it turns out otherwise), so anything we might hit with probably has to be capable of putting the thing down. If I were to Aim Low and hope for a legging, what would that do to my to-hit numbers? If it makes it easier to disable the Clanner, I may amend my orders.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spider

I'm not really sure where I should go at this point. I think I can get some shots in on the Horned Owl from 1039 without drawing 1024's attention and help out the Quickdraw with that.

Alternately, if you guys don't care if 1024 becomes alerted, I can still try to DFA the Horned Owl.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

I'm not really sure where I should go at this point. I think I can get some shots in on the Horned Owl from 1039 without drawing 1024's attention and help out the Quickdraw with that.

Alternately, if you guys don't care if 1024 becomes alerted, I can still try to DFA the Horned Owl.

Quickdraw

Let's give any of our teammates that plan to rush up the left side of the stadium breathing room by having the Horned Owl focus on us. Having a jumping pulse boat in your rear while trying to push north is just asking for trouble.

Is there any way you can land behind it? If both of us can get backshots on that thing, we have a chance of putting it down this turn.

I'll be jumping to 1235 and putting some lasers up its backside.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

Let's give any of our teammates that plan to rush up the left side of the stadium breathing room by having the Horned Owl focus on us. Having a jumping pulse boat in your rear while trying to push north is just asking for trouble.

Is there any way you can land behind it? If both of us can get backshots on that thing, we have a chance of putting it down this turn.

I'll be jumping to 1235 and putting some lasers up its backside.

Spider

Depending on how I move, I can make it to 1137 or 1138.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

Depending on how I move, I can make it to 1137 or 1138.

1137 is probably better - I don't think the Horned Owl can shoot anything at you from that hex, while he might be able to fire the left arm laser at 1138.

1137 also puts you one hex further north in case we ourselves need to rush north too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

anakha posted:

1137 is probably better - I don't think the Horned Owl can shoot anything at you from that hex, while he might be able to fire the left arm laser at 1138.

1137 also puts you one hex further north in case we ourselves need to rush north too.

Spider

Sounds good to me. Jumping to 1137 and shooting both pulses into the Horned Owl's back.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm pretty sure that any of those hexes lights you up for the possible Heavy patrolling the main thoroughfare. It might be better to just leap for 0426 and hope that both of the 'Mechs looking away from you don't notice. That'd get you drat near eyes-on the first possible target, and you'd have a +5 jump TMM even if one of them does notice and take a potshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH

I figure with only two other Mechs getting fire on the Mist Lynx, hitting with a few shards of cluster ammo is not likely to result in a wrecked Mech (everyone please laugh at me if it turns out otherwise), so anything we might hit with probably has to be capable of putting the thing down. If I were to Aim Low and hope for a legging, what would that do to my to-hit numbers? If it makes it easier to disable the Clanner, I may amend my orders.

By my count, you're already shooting on 10s, aiming low would likely move those shots from 'tough' to 'impossible'. Cluster ammo takes your chances of a hit to a little better than 1 in 4, and a slug hit won't take a leg off by itself. I'd use cluster, but it's really not a big deal.

• Locked thread