Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

BonoMan posted:

So can we just go ahead and nuke the earth now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6mt20jWIg

I can't be sure if this is a long ironic setup or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dexo posted:

That movie is going to do extremely well, Maybe not Ironman/Big drat Team up movie numbers

But probably better than all of those movies beside maybe GoTG, and spider-man.

Domestically anyway.

Probably not gonna do numbers overseas.

That was part of what I was thinking initially. Supposedly China isn't big into black actors.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I have never seen a trailer that made me angrier than this one did. gently caress.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BonoMan posted:

lmfao

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I know? I'm not saying it won't make money. I was just saying it probably wouldn't make AS much because people are racist and would be less drawn to the theater by it. I mean I hope I'm wrong.... but again, not saying it would flop.

There is absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. This kind of strawman 'everyone's racist except me' is really childishly arrogant and almost as damaging as being an actual racist.

'gently caress off', is what I'm getting at here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

There is absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. This kind of strawman 'everyone's racist except me' is really childishly arrogant and almost as damaging as being an actual racist.

'gently caress off', is what I'm getting at here.

Hahah what? What the gently caress are you even arguing? Someone asked if a black super hero movie would hurt sales and I said my pessimistic views about America make me think it could.

I'm not making a college thesis here. I'm just looking at the state of affairs in this country and how front and center, and even more overt than ever, people are being outright racist and saying "yeah I can see people reacting negatively to it."

Yet somehow I'm claiming I'm the only non-racist and therefore just as bad as the racists... or something?

I think you're trying to find a thread in my statement that doesn't exist. But whatever makes you feel better.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonoMan posted:

Now that's a ballsy fuckin' intro if I've ever heard one.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Hahah what?

"gently caress off."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

lmao. One thing's for sure, there's a lot of money in this poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cvnvcnv posted:

"gently caress off."

Interesting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

lmao. One thing's for sure, there's a lot of money in this poo poo.

What is with the chronic bad facial hair as well? It seems like a trend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You'd think a thread about trailers wouldn't get chippy but it seems to happen a lot for some reason. The psychology on that would be an interesting research project...for some poor schmuck who still has to do homework.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remember Harvey Weinstein and Woody Allen? Heard those stuff about Louis CK? Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-HM6TGHPr4

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Louis CK making a film that pays homage to Woody Allen, with a story involving a December-May relationship between a young girl and a Hollywood bigwig.

That is just... apocalyptically bad timing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

Remember Harvey Weinstein and Woody Allen? Heard those stuff about Louis CK? Here's a trailer:

y'know, when I read the reviews of this I thought it was going to be a little more dramatic and heavy, but holy poo poo this is a full-on light Allen-esque comedy about how creepy not-Woody Allen is.

what is it with this year and movies that have really uncomfortable circumstances surrounding their release? Between this and Geostorm, it feels like god is playing a sick joke.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What’s the stuff about Louis CK? I didn’t hear it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wendell posted:

What’s the stuff about Louis CK? I didn’t hear it.

https://jezebel.com/jen-kirkman-podcast-implicating-known-perv-comedian-sud-1708690406

Edit: Here's stuff from Tig Notaro: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/tig-notaro-louis-ck-one-mississippi

Edit2: Apparently Kirkman wasn't referring to CK!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 19, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

You'd think a thread about trailers wouldn't get chippy but it seems to happen a lot for some reason. The psychology on that would be an interesting research project...for some poor schmuck who still has to do homework.

Ha well to be fair it's because you're not only discussing movies (which can inherently... inherent some of the political climate) but also how they're implemented in the current social landscape. And that also invites it's own discussions and implications.

Or not. Who knows.

Quick question: What does it take to get your trailer featured on Apple Trailers (trailers.apple.com)? Is it just money? Because drat sometimes I see some super low rent poo poo on there and they only host 3 pages worth of trailers.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Didn't Doug Stanhope come out and say she was talking about him, not Louis?

And nothing in that Tig Notaro one mentions him doing anything to her except stealing one of her bits.

Not to defend him, just adding more context.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bows1 posted:

And nothing in that Tig Notaro one mentions him doing anything to her except stealing one of her bits.

quote:

While speaking to the Beast, Notaro says she previously had “an incident” with C.K. prior to the launch of One Mississippi, though she did not go into detail.

“We don’t talk since then. So as far as what he’s doing or what he’s done…” she continued, trailing off. She then asked the reporter if C.K. has ever “acknowledged” the allegations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

That is one ugly rear end looking movie.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

y'know, when I read the reviews of this I thought it was going to be a little more dramatic and heavy, but holy poo poo this is a full-on light Allen-esque comedy about how creepy not-Woody Allen is.

what is it with this year and movies that have really uncomfortable circumstances surrounding their release? Between this and Geostorm, it feels like god is playing a sick joke.

It's a whole movie of that scene from one of the later Transformers movie where the guy justifies his having sex with an underage woman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Glazier posted:

It's a whole movie of that scene from one of the later Transformers movie where the guy justifies his having sex with an underage woman.

But that scene is hilarious because it’s obviously a joke to make you hate that character.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is like the most timely movie ever coming right after all the Harvey Weinstein poo poo and the majority of my women friends on Facebook posting heartbreaking stories of sexual harassment/abuse that's happened to them with the #MeToo hashtag! Thanks, Louis C.K.!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_rVewKPtw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I heard amazing things about this coming out of TIFF. Super excited.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB15UFO5ebA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Hahah what? What the gently caress are you even arguing? Someone asked if a black super hero movie would hurt sales and I said my pessimistic views about America make me think it could.

I'm not making a college thesis here. I'm just looking at the state of affairs in this country and how front and center, and even more overt than ever, people are being outright racist and saying "yeah I can see people reacting negatively to it."

Yet somehow I'm claiming I'm the only non-racist and therefore just as bad as the racists... or something?

I think you're trying to find a thread in my statement that doesn't exist. But whatever makes you feel better.

The guy came at you hot, but there's really no evidence that black led or black created film does worse than the inverse. In fact there's some evidence its the opposite, at least domestically.

Let's all chill out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Carrey's a weird dude.

*that letter to Emma Stone and also vaccines flash by*

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh poo poo - gonna check this out this weekend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh here we go with more Hollywood hot-washing the past. Sure yeah give that part to Margot Robbie, as if there weren't a hundred more deserving not-hot actresses out there to play the role of Tanya Harding. It's Monster all over again. #hotwashing #oscarssohot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Glazier posted:

Wait, what?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vagabundo posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9OgW4JAJ8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

The guy came at you hot, but there's really no evidence that black led or black created film does worse than the inverse. In fact there's some evidence its the opposite, at least domestically.

Let's all chill out.

I'm chill. Are there any good studies out there about this? Genuinenly interested.

My initial comment was supposed to just be hyperbole in delivery but "I still think it could be true because look at America right now" and wasn't meant to be some definitive comment or anything (so I was a little surprised at the reaction), so I'm interested in actually looking into it further.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Supercar Gautier posted:

Louis CK making a film that pays homage to Woody Allen, with a story involving a December-May relationship between a young girl and a Hollywood bigwig.

That is just... apocalyptically bad timing.

Uhhh, I think 'homage' is the wrong word here.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

But that scene is hilarious because it’s obviously a joke to make you hate that character.

Maybe I'm just bad at reading Bay's intention but that read to me like someone using their fiction to try to win an argument. "Did you hear that mom, in my universe it's ok, IT'S OK!!!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Glazier posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at reading Bay's intention but that read to me like someone using their fiction to try to win an argument. "Did you hear that mom, in my universe it's ok, IT'S OK!!!"

A bit of both. It's an acknowledged joke because 20 year olds dating 17 year olds is both somewhat creepy and incredibly common in our society, and perhaps in general.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Glazier posted:

It's not fiction or just something in Bay's universe. Romeo and Juliet laws are real, and the card in the dude's wallet is Texas's actual statute for sexual assault, including the correct citation. It's Bay doing the Pain & Gain "this is a true story" thing.

The only thing inaccurate in the scene, I believe, is that you don't actually need a preexisting relationship, which is mentioned in the dialog, but not on the card. Which is to say, reality is more legally permissive of that relationship than what Bay presents.

It's a funny scene.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just want to point out that Jen Kirkman later clarified that she was not talking about Louis CK and that she personally has no knowledge of Louis CK sexually harassing/assaulting women.

• Locked thread