Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Two Beans posted:

I kinda would like to see a resurgence in Roundhead-style Puritanism, just so I can watch the Christmas Warriors deal with fighting a new front against people named The-Lord-Smites-All-Damned-Sinners-To-Hell.

Hell yeah. Nothing like Praise-God Barebone (and his son, If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned Barebone) to really get the puritan spirit going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
stupid question, but what good intelligence/knowledge tests are there. i know IQ is spoty at best outside general stuff.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

stupid question, but what good intelligence/knowledge tests are there. i know IQ is spoty at best outside general stuff.

there aren't, you can't quantify the general concept of intelligence. at best you can quantify people's aptitude in certain skills, including their ability to take intelligence tests

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

None.

Once we've mapped the human brain and genome and can compare and contrast between different humans with demonstrably different aptitudes then maybe we'll be able to say what intellectual potential a person has.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basically a lot of what is wrong with general intelligence tests is that it is impossible to write a test like that without bringing your own biases and preconceptions into it. What, exactly, is general knowledge? Why is it general? For who is it general? As was mentioned briefly in that video linked earlier, think of "obvious" association tests you might have seen before. Then think about all the potential possibilities that really simple things could have with each other than you would have never thought of.

Like, if I saw a teacup and a teaplate, those would go together. But if a child living in poverty saw a choice of a teacup, teaplate, and table, they could very well choose cup/table because their parents make sure they drink at the table and they have literally never seen a teaplate before.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Basically a lot of what is wrong with general intelligence tests is that it is impossible to write a test like that without bringing your own biases and preconceptions into it. What, exactly, is general knowledge? Why is it general? For who is it general? As was mentioned briefly in that video linked earlier, think of "obvious" association tests you might have seen before. Then think about all the potential possibilities that really simple things could have with each other than you would have never thought of.

Like, if I saw a teacup and a teaplate, those would go together. But if a child living in poverty saw a choice of a teacup, teaplate, and table, they could very well choose cup/table because their parents make sure they drink at the table and they have literally never seen a teaplate before.

There’s further testimony to this in the fact that IQ scores consistently rise generation to generation in every country where IQ has been measured. One explanation for it is that the economic and cultural changes of the 20th century caused everyone to adapt to the kind of thinking natural to the people who design IQ tests, that like literacy and standardized schooling and computers and poo poo just demand the kind of abstraction assumed to be “intelligence” by rich science jerks in 1900.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Midig posted:

Second thoughts then. Nothing is as moronic as the idea that there is a war on Christmas. It's an obnoxious and all consuming holiday that starts early and never goes away (at least in the US based on what I know).

I propose we make a trade. We enshrine into legislation that Target employees are mandated to say "Merry Christmas", and in return, we get single payer.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the be-all-end-all of iq tests

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

boner confessor posted:

yeah it starts on november 1, the day after halloween, and takes a break for american thanksgiving in late november. then it really cranks up on december 1. it's horrible

poo poo man, they start dialing up the GET YOUR STUFF FOR THE HOLIDAYS sales at like the start of september.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i always go with november 1 because that's when you start hearing christmas music in stores

noether
May 1, 2017

boner confessor posted:

i always go with november 1 because that's when you start hearing christmas music in stores

Idk how anyone in retail handles that poo poo. I'd be ready to murder someone if I had to listen to the same eight awful songs all day everyday

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

video game speedrunning

noether
May 1, 2017

little munchkin posted:

video game speedrunning

review score given to rick and morty

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Destiny seems to be getting in hot water with the skeptic crowd after the Bunty video but holds his own pretty well. It's very interesting seeing how hurt and bewildered the skeptics get when called useful idiots for white supremacists and nazis when they exclusively poo poo on zany tumblr posts and holds them up as representative of the left in its totality, but will gladly accuse anyone left of center of being pro-gulag in the same breath.

It's also fun to see when someone is asked to come up with a real world example for why cultural marxism political correctness is bad and the only thing the skeptic can bring up is the NFL and youtube demonetization.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what websites they go on

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"Have you ever been on the internet at some point in your life?"

"Yes, I have."

*test giver slowly draws a zero*

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

murphyslaw posted:

Destiny seems to be getting in hot water with the skeptic crowd after the Bunty video but holds his own pretty well. It's very interesting seeing how hurt and bewildered the skeptics get when called useful idiots for white supremacists and nazis when they exclusively poo poo on zany tumblr posts and holds them up as representative of the left in its totality, but will gladly accuse anyone left of center of being pro-gulag in the same breath.

It's also fun to see when someone is asked to come up with a real world example for why cultural marxism political correctness is bad and the only thing the skeptic can bring up is the NFL and youtube demonetization.

It really goes to show what a fantasy world these people live in. Hopefully Destiny will plant some seeds of doubt in these people that will bloom sooner rather than later. The latest hangout with Andy Whatever was particularly painful, since it was obvious the guy was just a credulous dummy who was more interested in creating well-received content rather than reflecting on his beliefs or actions. When Destiny points out that the voting ID laws are both unnecessary and often directed at preventing minorities from voting, Andy can't refute any of it. But he ALWAYS has to follow up with a, "...but, I FEEL like..." followed up by some unrelated, vague grievance related to "SJWs."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I always thought the "black people have a lower IQ than white people" argument was stupid because you only have to look around you to see that even if it was true it makes no difference. Black people are successful scientists, leaders, philosophers, businesspeople etc.. just as white people are.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

It really goes to show what a fantasy world these people live in. Hopefully Destiny will plant some seeds of doubt in these people that will bloom sooner rather than later. The latest hangout with Andy Whatever was particularly painful, since it was obvious the guy was just a credulous dummy who was more interested in creating well-received content rather than reflecting on his beliefs or actions. When Destiny points out that the voting ID laws are both unnecessary and often directed at preventing minorities from voting, Andy can't refute any of it. But he ALWAYS has to follow up with a, "...but, I FEEL like..." followed up by some unrelated, vague grievance related to "SJWs."

Yes, because despite their "gently caress your feelings" mantra, they think with their feelings and only care about their feelings.

They FEEL like they're not as valued and respected as they should be so when a minority, or a woman, or an LGBTQ+ person is valued and respected, they decide those marginalized groups are the problem.

"Hey, I haven't gotten mine yet! Why are they getting theirs?! They even have special protections! Promises were made!"

Literally all of them are whiny big baby manchildren.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Need ContraPoints no degeneracy
https://youtu.be/9BlNGZunYM8

How does she keep getting better and better at making these, how the gently caress does she look this good Andy dammit why can’t I look that good!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

I always thought the "black people have a lower IQ than white people" argument was stupid because you only have to look around you to see that even if it was true it makes no difference. Black people are successful scientists, leaders, philosophers, businesspeople etc.. just as white people are.

Those are all "one of the good ones". In a racist's mind they are the exceptions that prove the rules.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

murphyslaw posted:

Or for Bunty the halcyon days of calling people faggots.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BigRed0427 posted:

How does she keep getting better and better at making these, how the gently caress does she look this good Andy dammit why can’t I look that good!

Heh, Jim Sterling is one of the top comments at the moment.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VROMxOzdd4E

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I crack up when ever this guy comes up. Like, the golden one’s peacocking make sense. He has a lot to show off. This guy is just a dork in his dads smoking jacket..

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm glad he spruced up his Racist Altar with some seasonally appropriate pumpkins

maybe eventually he'll cover his glacier-like chest

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/921041929676173312

:allears:

noether
May 1, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

ikr. contra's only been on estrogen for like 3 months and she's already the stunning trans queen of youtube. I've been on HRT for like a year and a half and I'm still a dorky loser. this sucks. :argh:

also, her voice is starting to sound pretty good. I hope we get a "contrapoints sings" album in the future :cheeky:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Obviously, Murray et al's racial inheritance poo poo is bogus, but my understanding is some of the "IQ tests" have validity and utility, particularly if you're looking at performance on specific subtasks. Although the tests are referred to as IQ tests, they can have more specific cognitive measurement uses, and broad differences between individuals are meaningful in those settings. These are the tasks and tests that minimize linguistic, educational and cultural effects in measurement, and have (for psychometrics) good validation practices and instructions behind them. It's been awhile, but I think the current Stanford-Binet and Weschler are considered valid if not applied outside intended settings and uses.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

BigRed0427 posted:

I crack up when ever this guy comes up. Like, the golden one’s peacocking make sense. He has a lot to show off. This guy is just a dork in his dads smoking jacket..

Why dont you criticize what he says instead of launching an ad hominem insult.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
One of the things that my agency uses IQ tests (Specifically the Wechsler tests) for is to help us tailor the other tests in a battery to the individual. If we run through the test and they struggle with the verbal comprehension parts of the test, then we might need to change or alter our test plan to accommodate for that. One of the things I was taught in particular in grad school is to never give an IQ test by itself. IQ always needs extra context to give usable information.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

you couldn't pay me to click that dork's videos and find out exactly what he's whining about. first impressions matter and the first impression i get about this guy is that he's going to spend upwards of an hour detailing how there are too many my little ponies that are clearly of a non-caucasian ethnicity

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Sick WH40k burns from steroidswede. Next he'll be all "an open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred" while popping his bacne.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Heh, Jim Sterling is one of the top comments at the moment.

gross. i hope she deletes the comment.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

The Golden One literally and unironically talks about the Jewish Question and International Jewry as a thing to fight against. The reason you don't respond in good faith to crazy anti-semetic arguments is that doing anything to act like they might have a point just lends no poo poo Nazis the air of legitimacy.

Of course, there's a valid reason to watch him. Dude looks like he's had a six pack since the second grade, routinely doesn't wear a shirt, and does a peck dance on lots of his episodes. There's still a mute button on YouTube after all.

EDIT:

Dongicus posted:

Great, why are we supposed to hate on Jim loving Sterling Son? Dude's a self-admitted degenerate, but I don't get why anybody here should see that as a problem.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 19, 2017

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dongicus posted:

OK, what's the milkshake duck secret about Jim Sterling? Because he's one of the last few video game journalist/pundits I can view without feeling grimey.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I guess Sterling had some bad opinions at the start of his journalistic endeavors and by the great law of flip-flopping he deserves no credit for having unfucked his ways

Or something like that

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

noether posted:

ikr. contra's only been on estrogen for like 3 months and she's already the stunning trans queen of youtube. I've been on HRT for like a year and a half and I'm still a dorky loser. this sucks. :argh:

also, her voice is starting to sound pretty good. I hope we get a "contrapoints sings" album in the future :cheeky:

If I look half as good as she does after three months on E I will consider it to be greatest success of my life.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JVNO posted:

OK, what's the milkshake duck secret about Jim Sterling? Because he's one of the last few video game journalist/pundits I can view without feeling grimey.

He was an idiot, stopped being an idiot, apologized for being an idiot, is no longer an idiot unless you get mad at video game review scores. Some people can't let go of that last part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

noether posted:

I'm not even on HRT yet and I was jealous of her when she was 'just a crossdresser'. Contra too hot!

• Locked thread