Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

COOL CORN posted:

I guess the sauce killed Jmcrofts. Would love to hear how it is!

Folks, what are some good foods to put hot sauce on for people who don't eat meat? I know about eggs, and burritos of course, but I feel like there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.

If you eat any sort of greens without some form of hotsauce you are doing it wrong imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you eat any sort of greens without some form of hotsauce you are doing it wrong imo

I can't eat most forms of noodle any more without some kind of hot sauce.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Avocados are greatly improved with hot sauce.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Apprentice Dick posted:

Avocados are greatly improved with hot sauce.

Amazing healthy snack

1. Avocado

2. Halve that sucker to save half for later

3. Cracked black pepper

4. Valentina to taste

5. :perfect:

6. who am I kidding do steps 3 - 5 on the other half.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You left off the sardine

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Amazing healthy snack

1. Avocado

3. Cracked black pepper

4. Valentina to taste

Regular Valentina is my go to for them because it sticks the best

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a specific term to differentiate between watery, vinegar-based sauces like Tabasco/Louisiana Red and thicker, pourable ones like Valentina/Yucateco? I prefer the latter, but there don't seem to be as many varieties available.

Speaking of Yucateco, I love the Green and Red varieties, but I've yet to find anything that works with the Black. It tastes way too "chemically" for me.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 29, 2017

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Amazing healthy snack

1. Avocado

3. Cracked black pepper

4. Valentina to taste

I’m a millennial, what’s the best toast for this.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m a millennial, what’s the best toast for this.

Rye.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a specific term to differentiate between watery, vinegar-based sauces like Tabasco/Louisiana Red and thicker, pourable ones like Valentina/Yucateco? I prefer the latter, but there don't seem to be as many varieties available.

Speaking of Yucateco, I love the Green and Red varieties, but I've yet to find anything that works with the Black. It tastes way too "chemically" for me.

I always thought of the vinegary cayenne stuff as "Louisiana-style" hot sauce. even if it's named after Texas and made in North Carolina. the others you mention are both Mexican, so maybe Mexican style? I dunno.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a specific term to differentiate between watery, vinegar-based sauces like Tabasco/Louisiana Red and thicker, pourable ones like Valentina/Yucateco?

Viscosity I guess.

Though I prefer "gloopiness".

The gloopiest sauce I have had, and a local favourite is:

https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

Silly name aside, this stuff + any kind of pig meat is hog heaven.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is Valentina better than Cholula? I put that stuff on everything and haven't had much need for anything other than the occasional Crystals/Louisiana hot sauce for jambalaya and such.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

kloa posted:

Is Valentina better than Cholula? I put that stuff on everything and haven't had much need for anything other than the occasional Crystals/Louisiana hot sauce for jambalaya and such.

I've never been a huge Cholula fan, but I put Valentina on almost everything. It's got a lot of flavor but not too much heat. It's also extremely cheap; $2 for a huge 34 oz bottle, while Cholula is about $5 for 5 oz here.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Lester Shy posted:

Yucateco black is by far my favorite, but I agree it definitely doesn't go well with everything. I used to be a purist with hamburger meat, only salt and pepper... but putting that on top of a properly cooked burger is pretty amazing.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Yucateco black is by far my favorite, but I agree it definitely doesn't go well with everything. I used to be a purist with hamburger meat, only salt and pepper... but putting that on top of a properly cooked burger is pretty amazing.

It's also excellent in chili because that smoky type flavor it has.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Avocado with lime juice and sriracha. Heaven.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever done homemade buffalo sauce? I'm trying to find a recipe that I can make straight from fermented mash, and also without using a grip of butter if possible (but I won't complain if it can't be done!)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone ever done homemade buffalo sauce? I'm trying to find a recipe that I can make straight from fermented mash, and also without using a grip of butter if possible (but I won't complain if it can't be done!)

Like, just mix hot sauce and butter, boom, Bob's your uncle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

COOL CORN posted:

Does the butter separate out? I want something that will keep for a while if possible.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

And vinegar

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Good zone, not too cold too soon. Are these peppers potted? What daily and over night temps are you seeing right now? Have you taste-tested the peppers? Does it still have flowers?

If it is a potted plant (or you can put it in one), I'd advise moving the plant inside once daily max temps drop below 60ish, near a sunny south window, or at least a east facing one, with decent air flow and a temperature between 70-80. Can we get a picture of the plant and it's leaves and fruit?
Planned to follow up on this, but had to put it off due to leveling up to Daddy III last week :toot:. Peppers are not potted; temperatures are in the mid-80s and lows in the mid-60s past couple of weeks. However, this is looking to be the week we drop into the mid-40s at night, and the sun-angle is lower now and trees are now cutting off a lot of sunlight. I cannot afford to pot and keep indoors, so unfortunately have to treat as annuals. I planted poblano, habanero, tabasco, chiltpin wahiro indian, 7-pot browns, and carolina reapers this year. The poblanos, habaneros, and chiltpins have done nicely and are very productive. The tabasco started off well, but then the fruit suddenly stopped ripening. The 7-pot and reapers have been slow-going, and would not seem to ripen at all.

Pictures: 7-pot plant, 7-pot fruit, and tabasco.

Someone recommended throwing a few banana peels under the plants, to see if the gasses released during decomp would promote ripening. Within two days, my 7-pots began to brown (picture of 7-pot fruit). I'm taking this as a win, and plan to wait and see if the reapers and tabascos will follow.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I agree, but I do really like the habanero one.
Habanero > Chipotle > Original

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Does the butter separate out? I want something that will keep for a while if possible.

Buffalo sauce (in Buffalo) is literally just Frank's Red Hot + melted butter, mixed in whatever ratio corresponds to the heat level you like, with optional splash of vinegar. In your case, I'd just mix your home-fermented mash with melted butter until you get the right heat level (3:1 is a good starting point ratio with Frank's, if that helps), then add vinegar if it's not sour enough. I'd also make sure the mash had been thoroughly blended, and maybe strained also; chunky buffalo sauce sounds wrong.

Because it has a bunch of butter, no Buffalo sauce recipe is really going to keep well at room temperature (barring industrial processing I guess). You might be able to stuff a jar in the back of your fridge and keep it for a while that way, but everyone I know just mixes up the amount they need when they're cooking. It is just mixing 2 or 3 ingredients together, after all.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

Habanero > Chipotle > Original
Self-quoting here, but I got these in the mail today and will be curious how they stack up:

Picked this one up at the store. I love the red for south-of-the-border recipes, so I am hoping this will be a step up:

Also, what do you do with a weekly garden haul like this?

Well, if you've preserved all you need already, you stuff them with cheese and sausage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pioneer42 posted:

Well, if you've preserved all you need already, you stuff them with cheese and sausage.

Mmmmmmmmm! Coincidentally that's tomorrow's dinner.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not hot sauce, but I did try and buy Nasal Napalm Horseradish last week. It was mostly because my boyfriend, who has a massive capcasium tolerance, had his head blown off by the stuff. I also get wicked sinus problems in winter and BOY HOWDY will this alleviate that. It was also on sale.

https://www.pepperpalace.com/Nasal-Napalm-p/q29.htm

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not hot sauce, but I did try and buy Nasal Napalm Horseradish last week. It was mostly because my boyfriend, who has a massive capcasium tolerance, had his head blown off by the stuff. I also get wicked sinus problems in winter and BOY HOWDY will this alleviate that. It was also on sale.

https://www.pepperpalace.com/Nasal-Napalm-p/q29.htm

Horseradish isn't capcasium.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
My Last Dab shipment arrived today. Not as spicy as I was expecting -- didn't seem any spicier than, say, Blair's Mega Death Sauce -- but it was very tasty and had a nice even heat that lasted for a while. I'm looking forward to the wing sauce I'll whip up this weekend.

re: horseradish, making your own is cheap and relatively easy but holy poo poo does fresh root kick the store-bought stuff's rear end. I recommend making your own if you can. I'm curious to try that stuff above, though.

just another fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 19, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

iospace posted:

Horseradish isn't capcasium.

I think that was the point.
"...has a massive capcasium tolerance..."

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

just another posted:

re: horseradish, making your own is cheap and relatively easy but holy poo poo does fresh root kick the store-bought stuff's rear end. I recommend making your own if you can. I'm curious to try that stuff above, though.

Yes, just chuck the root in a blender and it's done(wear a gas mask, poo poo's like tear gas). Dilute with beet or sour cream if you want it weaker.
Pungency appears when you grind it, and then only decreases with time, so it's better to store whole roots. I don't think you can build up the tolerance to it like you can to peppers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I picked up the Hot Ones sauce, the Homeboys Habanero sauce, and the Queen Majesty Black Coffee and Habanero sauce... all of them are delicious, but none of them make me wince from heat. Guess it's time to put in another order...

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Currently making hot sauce. I think I may have made it a bit to strong. Did a pound of serranos. Three habaneros. And two cups of vineger and a bit of garlic. It takes like fire so far. Going to let it age for two months.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yowsa. Yeah, not having any carrots/onions/fruit/milder peppers to even it out is gonna make for a very strong sauce. Aging should help though. Let us know how it turns out.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My horseradish routine has been to keep the root in the freezer, grate as needed, and directly use the shavings in whatever I need. Seems to work pretty well.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
What's the hottest sauce you can buy that isn't ramped up with extracts?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

just another posted:

What's the hottest sauce you can buy that isn't ramped up with extracts?

This has got to be up there: https://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/collections/carolina-reaper-worlds-hottest-pepper/products/reaper-squeezins

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dave's scorpion is pretty affordable and unlike their ghost doesn't have any

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Valentina is great. It reminds me of cartoons where the characters would use that really thick looking hot sauce on their food. It also tastes amazing.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
I'm currently trying to develop a recipe for a piri-piri sauce (more of a paste, really) with the intention of bottling and selling it. I think I've got most of the flavorings down, though I want to experiment with some herbs added to the mix; my only issue is trying to find the right amount of dried African bird's eyes to use so that it has a good heat without overwhelming everything else.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Watch out for your local laws regarding selling prepared foods. Michigan, for instance, doesn't permit hot sauces to be sold under the cottage food rules - if you want to sell hot sauce, you need to prepare it in a commercial kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, definitely; I work for a regional grocery chain that has a program for helping local vendors get businesses started. Once I've got a recipe or two perfected, I intend to approach them and see about getting everything I'd need set up.