Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

magicka: vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

DLC Inc posted:

the most surprising thing about the Wolfenstein marketing is the fact that it was a Bethesda game BEING MARKETED

Seems like a lot of positive buzz as well, so I hope it both does well and they learn a business lesson from it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

While my enjoyment certainly waxed and waned at various points (usually tied to limitations from equipment or stamina), overall I loved the game a lot. Usually I am bored to tears from exploring huge open worlds, but I (in time) was able to get into a pretty good rhythm with BOTW where I could bounce back and forth between seeing points of interest on the mapping, find stuff along the way to said points, and then repeat. It was therapeutic in a way. Not sure how I'd rank it compared to other Zelda games because it is so different, but it's definitely deserving of the praise it got IMO.

I think that's why I have such over-the-top praise for Breath of the Wild: I normally don't like aimless open-world stuff but somehow that game made it fun. I've tried pretty hard to pinpoint how it did so, and while I can identify a few things (like how turning the Ubisoft Tower map marking thing into something active the player does rather than an automatic scatter-tasks-everywhere chore) I'm sure there's some game and world design magic I didn't even notice that kept me engaged and excited.

Much like Persona 5, there are a lot of things I can point to that I think could be improved or that I didn't really like, but the whole experience is just so fantastic that I can't not love it.

Nina posted:

TWEWY is so drat good. I need to go for my annual replay of it sometime soon

Do you know if the mobile version is any good? I've assumed that it isn't, but if it's decent it might make a good coffee break at work game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

Seems like a lot of positive buzz as well, so I hope it both does well and they learn a business lesson from it.

"Wolfenstein II Underperforms internally due to massive marketing budget"

"Welp, let's kill it. Clearly people didn't like it."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

star wars rogue squadron II: rogue leader is pretty much about vietnam but in space

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Do you know if the mobile version is any good? I've assumed that it isn't, but if it's decent it might make a good coffee break at work game.

Its not the ideal way to play imo. The controlling both characters aspect is totally neutered due to the control limitations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody played Battlechasers?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nate RFB posted:

Aaaaand that's Breath of the Wild finished. All shrines, all divine beasts, all inventory slots unlocked. 120 hours, apparently. Obviously plenty of sidequests or weapon upgrades left, but that's a good enough run I'd say.

While my enjoyment certainly waxed and waned at various points (usually tied to limitations from equipment or stamina), overall I loved the game a lot. Usually I am bored to tears from exploring huge open worlds, but I (in time) was able to get into a pretty good rhythm with BOTW where I could bounce back and forth between seeing points of interest on the mapping, find stuff along the way to said points, and then repeat. It was therapeutic in a way. Not sure how I'd rank it compared to other Zelda games because it is so different, but it's definitely deserving of the praise it got IMO.

Now to (hopefully) finish Samus Returns in time for Mario Odyssey.

Hmm, maybe I should give the game another chance...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, maybe I should give the game another chance...
I dunno I saw you be pretty lukewarm on it for a fairly long while; don't know how far along you ultimately got but it sounded like you gave it a pretty fair shake and it wasn't your thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Its not the ideal way to play imo. The controlling both characters aspect is totally neutered due to the control limitations.

Yeah, that's true. Something would definitely be lost there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

Bethesda has never learned a lesson in its entire life

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 19, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah it’s not BAD and has improved graphics and sound but the gameplay completely loses its edge when your partner is delegated to a pin instead of being fully playable

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I always thought TWEWY was one of the best games on the DS if only because it really made use of the hardware. I'd love if it got a 3ds port a la Radiant Historia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nina posted:

Yeah it’s not BAD and has improved graphics and sound but the gameplay completely loses its edge when your partner is delegated to a pin instead of being fully playable

I haven't played it the phone version but removing the second character would make the game a lot more manageable even if it is at the cost of a cool mechanic. I'd put it at net neutral.

Sure would've liked a sequel, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DLC Inc posted:

the most surprising thing about the Wolfenstein marketing is the fact that it was a Bethesda game BEING MARKETED

the gently caress are you talking about, fallout 4 had a huge marketing blitz

they changed the football robot NFL ad bump guy to a set of power armor for weeks. it had a spot on every ad break during every game. there were print and poster ads all over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody played Battlechasers?

it is a very fun traditional turn based rpg with a 3-person party system and a modular way to upgrade and level each character, very nice aesthetic to everything. it isn't groundbreaking but is cool and competent. Polygon has a very good review up that touches upon the unique mechanics in the game
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/2/16402412/battle-chasers-nightwar-review

food court bailiff posted:

they changed the football robot NFL ad bump guy to a set of power armor for weeks. it had a spot on every ad break during every game. there were print and poster ads all over.

Fallout and Skyrim don't count, those are literally the only games Bethesda bothers to advertise because they are the proven cash cows. Every other game they release from id, Machinegames, Arkane, and Tango get fuckall.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bethesda likes to drop mad ducats on advertising their own in house games yes, the other studios whose games they publish, not so much

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've seen commercials for Wolfenstein and Dishonored 2 on TV.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

chumbler posted:

I haven't played it the phone version but removing the second character would make the game a lot more manageable even if it is at the cost of a cool mechanic. I'd put it at net neutral.

Sure would've liked a sequel, though.

It just makes the game a whole lot less unique that’s all. The dual screen gameplay is a big part of the appeal to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah Wolfenstein's marketing, as far as I can see, has basically been those tweets people are posting. I mean they're really good tweets but I can't imagine their marketing budget is actually that large

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

bethesda likes to drop mad ducats on advertising their own in house games yes, the other studios whose games they publish, not so much

I've definitely seen ads for Dishonored 2. It's just...not true that Bethesda doesn't advertise their stuff - nuDOOM was kind of a fluke.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

games published by bethesda in the year of our lord 2017:
prey
the evil within 2
dishonored: death of the outsider
wolfenstein 2 (upcoming)

aside from wolfenstein 2 how many ads have you seen for any of those

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

On TV? Just Prey. But elsewhere? All of them.

e: again the Prey ad played all the drat time, the idea that Bethesda doesn't market is just completely false

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never see ads for games on TV unless it's ultra popular stuff like Overwatch. Most advertising nowadays comes in the form of dorky twitch streamers who are happy to shill your game at basically no cost beyond the free download key.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree here because literally no one i ever mentioned the video game prey 2017 to had any loving clue what i was talking about and it's not just me who thinks bethesda has really dropped the ball on marketing multiple games. i have no idea what you were watching that not only did you get prey tv spots but watched them multiple times

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It was seriously run on all the major networks (plus a ton of spots on Adult Swim) for the entire months of April and May. I mean think what you want but just because you're not seeing it doesn't mean it's not out there.

E: The Evil Within 2 literally had an ad during last night's Wallking Dead.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 19, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I vaguely remember seeing Dishonored 2 ads on TV but I have no recollection of any kind of television advertising for Prey.

But these spots exist so someone must have seen them

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wYnG/prey-afraid

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

games published by bethesda in the year of our lord 2017:
prey
the evil within 2
dishonored: death of the outsider
wolfenstein 2 (upcoming)

aside from wolfenstein 2 how many ads have you seen for any of those

I've seen ads for all of these games multiple times on TV and the internet. Where do you live?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cowcaster lives in: denial

gwahahhahab

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe this is a symptom of "core gamers" getting less marketing attention from Bethesda, like I'm not going to argue against the concrete evidence that there have been a lot of TV ads for Bethesda-published games, but I don't watch that much television in the first place. Bethesda has generally been purposefully marginalizing traditional games media outlets to focus on mass media and streaming influencers, so someone who plays games but doesn't really follow those other two circles might reasonably assume Bethesda isn't really doing anything because Bethesda isn't targeting them

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh I haven't had cable in nearly a decade and use adblock for everything so I wouldn't see ads even if they were there.

It's always odd to go visit my dad and see a bunch of ads for bad mobile games on the tv.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

cowcaster lives in: denial

gwahahhahab

not about videogames though just life in general

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don't have a cable provider, mainly just Netflix, Hulu, HBONow and YouTube. I rarely see ads for games but will sometimes see ads for the PlayStation (which is what I'm using to watch the ads on).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe this is a symptom of "core gamers" getting less marketing attention from Bethesda, like I'm not going to argue against the concrete evidence that there have been a lot of TV ads for Bethesda-published games, but I don't watch that much television in the first place. Bethesda has generally been purposefully marginalizing traditional games media outlets to focus on mass media and streaming influencers, so someone who plays games but doesn't really follow those other two circles might reasonably assume Bethesda isn't really doing anything because Bethesda isn't targeting them

Yeah but that's because Bethesda is such a huge powerhouse in sales figures that as soon as they publish anything all the core gamers will see it across the splash screens of their desired ecosystem with a big flashing banner and like six prices depending on how bad you want to buy into the DLC at launch. You don't advertise to people who are going to see and consider your product as a matter of course, and stuff like automatic recommendations on Steam exacerbates that.

Bethesda absolutely markets the poo poo out of their games, it's just advertising them to people who aren't necessarily going to see them on Steam every day anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Yes, because you should be playing it immediately

This will not happen because Mario is coming out on the same day

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

This will not happen because Mario is coming out on the same day

I had a bunch of PTO that I had to burn through at work this year so I just took a bunch of random Fridays and Mondays off. Apparently I'm off the 27th so I'm very, very sure my Amazon preorder will arrive sometime around the 30th.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I had a bunch of PTO that I had to burn through at work this year so I just took a bunch of random Fridays and Mondays off. Apparently I'm off the 27th so I'm very, very sure my Amazon preorder will arrive sometime around the 30th.

That's why I do these things at Best Best buy these days. I have the same discount for pre-orders and the chances of shipping gently caress ups are way lower. With Amazon, at best, I'd usually have the game appear as late as possible on release day and at worst they'd just gently caress up the shipping while with BB, while I actually have to leave my house, the only time I've ever had a problem is when I once changed a pickup location at the last minute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's the best racing game on PS4 right now?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

today is a good day because zachtronics came out with a new game!!

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/921058464826245121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj689znjxpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/921060725635784704

• Locked thread