Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Quoting to save this for future generations of recuits to see, so they nope out of this thread and go join the air force.

Counterpoint, THE ORDER OF THE SWORD

Ya'll have a ceremony where you worship anime swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

orange juche posted:

Counterpoint, THE ORDER OF THE SWORD

Ya'll have a ceremony where you worship anime swords.

Having a hard time not thinking this owns

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bunch of camouflaged dweebs playing with each other's swords.

The hard on the uniformed services have for camouflage in completely dumb situations is ridiculous. See: Navy blue camo

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lou Takki posted:

The hard on the uniformed services have for camouflage in completely dumb situations is ridiculous. See: Navy blue camo

Seriously, why not go bright orange? The old utilities were basically prison uniforms, so we have precedent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Seriously, why not go bright orange? The old utilities were basically prison uniforms, so we have precedent.

Bright orange would be effective and a nod to our POTUS.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The navy only needs coveralls and flight suits. The dress uniform (with pippettes off) is already solid

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Bright orange would be effective and a nod to our POTUS.

Just need what they wear on BSG.

I got nostalgic for the old utilities seeing Sailors in the blue or green camo. Then again I'm the guy that just wears khakis for drill weekend since I never understood wearing camo when I work an office job. I understand deployed or if your job is dirty but sitting in an A/C space on a computer is neither stateside.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Null Integer posted:

Quoting to save this for future generations of recuits to see, so they nope out of this thread and go join the air force.

Cross posting from the Air Force thread.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You'd think they'd want bright colors for visibility in man-overboard situations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Madurai posted:

You'd think they'd want bright colors for visibility in man-overboard situations.

This is still somehow fallout from the sea warrior phase the Navy had back in 08

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It only takes a little bit of creativity to turn orange into badass:

Wasn't Gordon Freeman's suit orange as well?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It only takes a little bit of creativity to turn orange into badass:

Wasn't Gordon Freeman's suit orange as well?

Orange accents and gloves I think

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lou Takki posted:

Blue is getting phased out. It's guacamole green now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
When type 3 as stamdard got announced a bunch of Seabees (re: fat kids) got caremad because "they make us unique!" Nevermind all of NECC uses them after NSW designed them so THEY could be unique, or that wearing woodland BDU was what made the construction force stand apart.

Basically uniforms are only good for causing stupidity and misuse of funds

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

When type 3 as stamdard got announced a bunch of Seabees (re: fat kids) got caremad because "they make us unique!" Nevermind all of NECC uses them after NSW designed them so THEY could be unique, or that wearing woodland BDU was what made the construction force stand apart.

Basically uniforms are only good for causing stupidity and misuse of funds

They'll always have their low ASVAB scores and creepy pedo-staches to set them apart from their Navy brethren.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

They'll always have their low ASVAB scores and creepy pedo-staches to set them apart from their Navy brethren.

Brb shaving my stache.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ceiling fan posted:

Cross posting from the Air Force thread.

AF fighter pilot bonus is up to $455,000 now. $432k didn't work, so I doubt this will.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

AF fighter pilot bonus is up to $455,000 now. $432k didn't work, so I doubt this will.

*orders ~1,700 F-35As, can't find enough pilots to eventually fly them*

Hope you don't mind being forcibly transitioned (to the inevitable mini AWACS variant), G. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 20, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hope you don't mind being forcibly transitioned, G. :v:

If they lower the bar that far I'll fly one. Independence day style: "WHO HERE HAS EVER PLAYED FLIGHT SIMULATOR?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

If they lower the bar that far I'll fly one. Independence day style: "WHO HERE HAS EVER PLAYED FLIGHT SIMULATOR?"

"I've played Ace Combat games, so I've flown *way* more advanced airplanes than this one! It has 500 missiles, right?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hope you don't mind being forcibly transitioned (to the inevitable mini AWACS variant), G. :v:

I danced out the door in 2012. Navy contractor now.

Edit: I'd have taken that career change in a hearbeat. Fighter dudes fly once a week or more for currency. Once we hit "experienced" status it was 3 flights in a rolling 90 day period, and the rest of your time was basically shoving your balls in a woodchipper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

:coolfish:

Still, I look forward to the "gee, I really wish we had more STEM grads" ~woulda-coulda-shoulda-ing~ about to happen with regards to aviation, both in the civilian *and* military space. Hell, it's already happening.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Edit: I'd have taken that career change in a hearbeat. Fighter dudes fly once a week or more for currency. Once we hit "experienced" status it was 3 flights in a rolling 90 day period, and the rest of your time was basically shoving your balls in a woodchipper.

Smack his head when he uses his teeth.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I have this civilian contractor who is probably the only reason anything works onboard my ship and does the work of 12 men (24 sailors or 36 contractors) and does so consistently. Has anybody ever gotten an award through for a civilian and knows anything about the process vice a normal award?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never seen a contractor get recognized. GSes, yes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
His reward is getting to go home every day and not do military poo poo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

One of our geniuses just sliced his hand open on corrugated metal roofing because why would you pick it up without gloves?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Policy is that someone who the government pays $200 an hour for is compensated plenty. No extra recognition needed.

What's LockMart paying him? $12.50 an hour?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: It ain't 2006 anymore, salary-wise. And whatever the government is paying, the employee is getting a fraction.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a job working waterfront IT as a contractor.
I moved exactly one computer today with the help of 2 other contractors.
It was a laptop.
Otherwise I kicked rocks in the office reading the news.
Contracting is strange.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I work my rear end off on a helpdesk supporting a three letter agency, i need to get a skate job because this sucks right now. Pays alright but when your boss tells you that you have to work mandatory 10h overtime per week (because they made an unpopular decision and everyone quit) and you're exempted from OT pay bonus per your contract it loving sucks.

Not all contracting is roses, but its still loving better than the Navy, because i dont have to muster, I don't have to PT, I don't have to be responsible for people who are essentially high schoolers mentally, and I dont get locked up on base or on the ship when SN Timmy gets his 2nd DUI in 3 months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

I work my rear end off on a helpdesk supporting a three letter agency, i need to get a skate job because this sucks right now. Pays alright but when your boss tells you that you have to work mandatory 10h overtime per week (because they made an unpopular decision and everyone quit) and you're exempted from OT pay bonus per your contract it loving sucks.

Not all contracting is roses, but its still loving better than the Navy, because i dont have to muster, I don't have to PT, I don't have to be responsible for people who are essentially high schoolers mentally, and I dont get locked up on base or on the ship when SN Timmy gets his 2nd DUI in 3 months.

I actually want OT but it's pretty much not gonna happen. Oh well I guess I could barback again or something.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You both misspelled bareback nor have to do that with your life any more, unless that's your get down

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

I have this civilian contractor who is probably the only reason anything works onboard my ship and does the work of 12 men (24 sailors or 36 contractors) and does so consistently. Has anybody ever gotten an award through for a civilian and knows anything about the process vice a normal award?

They don't get awards. However, what I have done in the past is sent out BZ messages if their employer is on a distro. I know it sounds cheesy, but apparently some companies track them and they contribute to the contractor getting raises or PTO. If it's a company that doesn't get message traffic I've instead signed out LoA's on letterhead to do the same thing.

Talk to your Captain and see if they're amenable. Your Port Engineer should have the details on how to get through to that particular company's management.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

They don't get awards. However, what I have done in the past is sent out BZ messages if their employer is on a distro. I know it sounds cheesy, but apparently some companies track them and they contribute to the contractor getting raises or PTO. If it's a company that doesn't get message traffic I've instead signed out LoA's on letterhead to do the same thing.

Talk to your Captain and see if they're amenable. Your Port Engineer should have the details on how to get through to that particular company's management.

This for sure.

The organization he works for is probably ISO 9001 compliant or something similar and will track positive feedback from government customers and will count towards good things internally to the organization.

That is of course, taking the huge leap of faith that anyone in his company is competent at all. It can't hurt to try.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

This for sure.

The organization he works for is probably ISO 9001 compliant or something similar and will track positive feedback from government customers and will count towards good things internally to the organization.

That is of course, taking the huge leap of faith that anyone in his company is competent at all. It can't hurt to try.

e:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Blue is getting phased out. It's guacamole green now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

:staredog:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/20/air-force-recall-many-1-000-retired-pilots-address-serious-shortage/785344001/

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hahahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

"We need people to cart bombs into North Korea, and you're the most expendable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo.