Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Mariette's line about the horse coming "from a tree" makes a lot more sense when I remembered she was very interested in the tree photograph that K had.

I saw it in Dolby this time (is this just an AMC thing?). I don't know if I can really tell a difference picture-wise from the digital IMAX showing I saw, although this one had even more absurd bass. I would be interested in listening to the soundtrack by itself because I can't tell if some of the weird sounds are intentional (one I remember is the bee scene; there was a strange digital distortion over the booms). I'm pretty sure the ceiling tiles and light fixtures were rattling in this showing. One thing I really noticed was how rock-steady the image was in the static outdoor shots; I think I'm conditioned from decades of film projection to look for strobing or jittering.

I'm even more torn about Joi after this showing, because in the first scene she's in she definitely comes off as entirely subservient in a fairly cloy way. It appears to be the emanator that sets her free, if you can call it that. I can't make up my mind if Joi or Luv is the more interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Serf posted:

It's very confusing because I'm trying to decide if I like Blade Runner 2049 or Blade 2 more. Tough call.

Both have a scene where someone sees a CG projection of a person in front of a spotlight as we realize life is a joke.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

The morgue guy and the police chief were just simple grunts that were in her way and could create complications by reporting her. K is someone she has personal spite for and who she has to prove that she is better than. Leaving him alive is to torture him and let him see just how good she is. He is already being hunted by the authorities in either case so he has no ability to ruin her plans. She clearly takes a specific sort of glee in her altercations with K.

She's framed as an emotional child closer to the replicants from the first movie.

Hmmm, yeah I can see this, she did have some parallels to Pris's character the way K did to Roy, but they're on opposing sides instead of a team.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Huhh why didn't Freddie just kill ALL the teens by scooping them into a bed hole like Depp? He would have never been defeated that way,.

Yeah, because hokey slasher flick is totally on the same level as introspective hard cyberpunk fiction.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Hmmm, yeah I can see this, she did have some parallels to Pris's character the way K did to Roy, but they're on opposing sides instead of a team.

She's pro-replicant. She's hoping that K will realize he's on the wrong side.

She also doesn't know about the resistance. If she did, she might even join it. She wants to gain the key for Wallace so he can unlock replicant potential, but if she knew there was a non-Wallace chance for that, it's possible she would be conflicted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah, because hokey slasher flick is totally on the same level as introspective hard cyberpunk fiction.

When you see enough movies you realize these two things are more often than not one in the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuvUcKw4Ftk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMz1Bv-OMTQ

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 19, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When you see the Joi hologram the first time, she has normal eyes.

When you see the Joi hologram the second time, she has weird creepy shark eyes.

Is there something meaningful going on here, or is it only there to alienate you from the hologram at a moment when the movie wants you to see her as a soulless product.

It kind of feels like cheating at directing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

david_a posted:

Mariette's line about the horse coming "from a tree" makes a lot more sense when I remembered she was very interested in the tree photograph that K had.

I saw it in Dolby this time (is this just an AMC thing?). I don't know if I can really tell a difference picture-wise from the digital IMAX showing I saw, although this one had even more absurd bass. I would be interested in listening to the soundtrack by itself because I can't tell if some of the weird sounds are intentional (one I remember is the bee scene; there was a strange digital distortion over the booms). I'm pretty sure the ceiling tiles and light fixtures were rattling in this showing. One thing I really noticed was how rock-steady the image was in the static outdoor shots; I think I'm conditioned from decades of film projection to look for strobing or jittering.

absurd bass is perfect for this movie, and in fact, all movies.

if it is not giving me a mild massage, it is not absurd enough bass.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there something meaningful going on here, or is it only there to alienate you from the hologram at a moment when the movie wants you to see her as a soulless product.

For real it's so lazy, no real director would dare have various characters' eyes be slightly different at key moments as a fourth wall break to make us question the character's nature and motives. You would definitely never have seen something like that in the original.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

For real it's so lazy, no real director would dare have various characters' eyes be slightly different at key moments as a fourth wall break to make us question the character's nature and motives. You would definitely never have seen something like that in the original.

haha.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn't like it in the original either. I mean, why do you need to lug around an expensive fireplace bellows and CRT monitor in a suitcase to test people's eyes.

"Her eyes were green"

No, they were flashlight colored! Garbage.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Directing is all about cheating.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nroo posted:

ok roman polanski.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nroo posted:

A theme in Blade Runner 2049 (and 2036, for that matter) is the architecting of situations to evoke emotional responses. This is what film directors do.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Does anyone have a clear idea of whos eye that first shot of the movie is?

It's not a fast shot but it is such an extremely close shot I'm not quite sure if that's supposed to be K, Stelline or just anonymous?

I've sort of taken to thinking its K's eye as he is lying in the snow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I took it to be Gosling's but hope like in the original it's just some random production person's.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cerepol posted:

It's not a fast shot but it is such an extremely close shot I'm not quite sure if that's supposed to be K, Stelline or just anonymous?

Alternatively it's K's eye as he's waking up after being born and then we see him waking up/turning on in his car.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

david_a posted:

I'm even more torn about Joi after this showing, because in the first scene she's in she definitely comes off as entirely subservient in a fairly cloy way. It appears to be the emanator that sets her free, if you can call it that. I can't make up my mind if Joi or Luv is the more interesting character.

I thought so also, the emanator probably unlocks certain elements of a previously generic personality allowing growth, or the illusion of, as well as giving portability.

For the sort of person who'd buy an expensive upgrade for his virtual girlfriend, seeing how much more attentive and personal she'd become once this is in place would be much more likely to induce a purchase of a future emanator 2.0 or an ongoing expensive subscription of some kind.

Not to imply this prevents Joi becoming in some way conscious as a result, because I think it's very likely given some of her actions that she can be considered conscious but with baseline programming restricting some areas of free will such as who she is in love with, but it also doesn't preclude her being nothing more than a sophisticated Tamagotchi either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You're be more likely to be extra nice to your owner once you get a bit more freedom if your owner can send you back to Bachelor Apartment Prison.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ser Pounce posted:

It really is, she’s just an emotionally unstable kid trying to impress and emulate ‘daddy’ in the end, and pays for it very heavily by loving with the wrong replicant.

I love the Jaws homage at the end there.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I liked how the emanator is basically DLC for Joi and she was obviously programmed to ask for it because capitalism~

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Again Wallace's structure of ideology is informed by his logic vis-à-vis love, his example of Deckard's for Rachel. Just a series of objective conditions met in order to elicit a chemical response that in turn produces the desired predicted outcome. This follows on from the same logic that reduces Joi to a series of one's and zero's, so when entering into this logic just bring it to the end of A and C and T and G - female, male.

"One of the ways to facilitate this ignorance is the Cartesian notion of animal machine. Cartesians already in the seventeenth century were warning people against compassion with animals. They claimed that when we see an animal emitting sounds of pain, we should always bear in mind that these sounds do not express any real inner feeling, since animals do not have souls. These are just sounds generated by a complex mechanism of muscles, bones, fluids, and so on.

You can clearly see the origin of these sounds through dissection. The problem is that the notion of animal machine has to end up in La Mettrie’s notion of l’homme machine, of a human man, as a machine. If one is a fully committed neurobiologist, exactly the same claim can be made about sounds and gestures emitted by humans when they are tortured. There is no separate interior domain of soul where pain is really felt. Such sounds and gestures are simply produced by the complex neurobiological mechanisms that constitute a human body.[...]

What if what we see in this abyss of the other’s gaze is our own abyss or to quote Racine, a wonderful line from Jean Racine’s Phædre: Dans ses yeux je vois ma perte écrite, - In her eyes I see inscribed my loss." -Zizek

brawleh fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 19, 2017

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Huzanko posted:

Alternatively it's K's eye as he's waking up after being born and then we see him waking up/turning on in his car.

No dice on that, they wouldn't call him 'Constant K' if he had only been born just before doing his first mission with Sapper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kaedric posted:

No dice on that, they wouldn't call him 'Constant K' if he had only been born just before doing his first mission with Sapper.

I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't think that logic holds any water at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kind of weird for his boss to ponder how she somehow forgets he’s a replicant if she’s only had two conversations with him at that point.

I tried to compare Gosling’s eyes to the eye shot from the trailers. Looks like a match to me. Also in searching for the eye shot I realized the original film was the right eye and the new film is the left eye.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Not saying K was born right before the first mission we're accompanying him on, just saying the shot of the eye may be his eye right after he is born.

Also, you guys are forgetting K is a replicant and that there may have been many Ks, each the same. So when Joshi says "I seem to forget with you" or whatever she may be meaning you as in K model replicants.

Lots of ways to interepret this movie and I'm not interested in which is the "cannon" interpretation because cannon is stupid.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Huzanko posted:

Not saying K was born right before the first mission we're accompanying him on, just saying the shot of the eye may be his eye right after he is born.

Also, you guys are forgetting K is a replicant and that there may have been many Ks, each the same. So when Joshi says "I seem to forget with you" or whatever she may be meaning you as in K model replicants.

Lots of ways to interepret this movie and I'm not interested in which is the "cannon" interpretation because cannon is stupid.

I'm not sure we've ever seen any duplicates in either film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Technically there was a duplicate Rachel in this film. But yes, you are correct, replicants don't seem to be clones of each other, which is interesting in and of itself. I think it's actually cool that Blade Runner doesn't go that direction, because it's done so much in other artificial people stories.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I assumed at the absolute most you'd have like a template replicant others in its line of work are based on but they'd still have like a different face/eyes/build/whatever like close relative might. The book hints at the notion of replicants secretly getting made that are 1:1 replacements of actual people (and of course has the whole subplot about getting your dead pet replaced with a replicant based on it) and they were originally going to go with Tyrell being a replicant but it's never been a thing in the actual released stuff until Rachel pops up briefly in 2049.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DandyLion posted:

I wanna say that the replicant display in Wallace HQ has a Bautista replicant among its numbers, but I'm not sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wanna say that the replicant display in Wallace HQ has a Bautista replicant among its numbers, but I'm not sure.

It does.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm going to see it tomorrow and I want to watch the original again first. I have BD with a bunch of cuts on it, which one am I supposed to watch? Final?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah watch the Final Cut.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Obviously, there are only duplicates when it serves the film's themes. I'm sure IRL, there'd be 50,000 alternate models for JOI in particular, half of them otherkin. But that's not where they went with it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd guess replicants designed to be the same would only be as close as identical twins, so easily differentiated by retina scan or a highly resolved IR sensor checking capillaries against a database.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cerepol posted:

I thought it was interesting that the eye in that shot was green.

Also, upon a second viewing, i really liked how the invocation of an ancient Egyptian pyramid in the context of the Wallace headquarters (external architecture, internal use of really warm yellow sand colors, massive rooms with lots of empty space) really drive home Wallace's god complex. One could imagine that his personal office was located right at the center, the same place the pharaohs were buried before they were themselves treated as gods.

Also that internal lighting with the water ripples, holy cow that looked great.

EDIT: Apparently this is how the lighting was done. Scroll down for pics of the crazy rig.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 19, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I specifically looked the second time if any of the prototypes(?) were Bautista and I don't think so. He has very distinctive shoulders and I didn't see anyone like that. He was a Tyrell model (that's now being hunted for extermination) anyway; why would Wallace show him off?

I think if they made duplicate replicants they would stand out a lot more which probably isn't what either Tyrell or Wallace wants.

Xealot posted:

Obviously, there are only duplicates when it serves the film's themes. I'm sure IRL, there'd be 50,000 alternate models for JOI in particular, half of them otherkin. But that's not where they went with it.
When K turns on the emanator there's a Joi settings screen that briefly visible. You'll have to wait for the home video to actually read all of it, but I think one of the drop-downs is ethnicity (it could have been accent; I just read that the value was "Cuban"). I kind of like the implication that Joi only looks like that by default (which is why all the ads look the same) and K just didn't change any of them. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable making those types of modifications, since it makes it much easier to objectify her instead of treating her like a real being.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The camera lingers on this one

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steve Yun posted:

The camera lingers on this one
I dunno, I guess it might supposed to be him but it's not a super obvious resemblance to me. Bautista seems to have a pretty round face with kind of a smooth sloping forehead which that thing on the right doesn't have, although judging by the left side the aspect ratio might be hosed.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DandyLion posted:

K and Luv walk through a room with different model replicants and one of them is Sapper...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

david_a posted:

I dunno, I guess it might supposed to be him but it's not a super obvious resemblance to me. Bautista seems to have a pretty round face with kind of a smooth sloping forehead which that thing on the right doesn't have, although judging by the left side the aspect ratio might be hosed.

Naaaah that's Sapper.

• Locked thread