Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

tiistai posted:

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed.

Hm, I guess that makes sense. At the time, I'd read it as intended to be a hint to try to get Battler to remember what he'd forgotten because of the whole "if you were really Battler, you would know who I am" angle, but I guess I just got hold of the wrong end of the stick there.

The more I think about it, though, the more I think it did matter to Beatrice, at least to some extent. Both Battler and Yasu were illegitimate Ushiromiyas given to people who were not their biological mothers to bring them "legitimately" into the family; however, Asumu accepted and raised Battler, whereas Natsuhi shoved Yasu off a cliff. Granted, Asumu was at least intended to believe that Battler was actually her biological child, which was not the case for Natsuhi, but I can see how Beatrice might feel a little bitter toward Battler nonetheless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a weird and anticlimactic place for that reveal.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Confused Llama posted:

Hm, I guess that makes sense. At the time, I'd read it as intended to be a hint to try to get Battler to remember what he'd forgotten because of the whole "if you were really Battler, you would know who I am" angle, but I guess I just got hold of the wrong end of the stick there.

If I'm not mistaken R07 admitted the whole thing was an intentional red herring, so don't feel too bad about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Robindaybird posted:

Rudolf is a god drat coward. He got into this mess by not being up front with the both of them - Kyrie definitely knew, but I think it's implied Asumu suspected but never got a solid confirmation that he's still seeing Kyrie - and letting them choose what they'd want out of it.

Then the baby switch, too cowardly to deal with what his father would say about his wife having a stillbirth, or his wife's reaction, so he essentially steals Battler from his mother.

Then he hid it from everyone because he's scared of how they would react - knowing how jealous Kyrie is, and how she no doubt is seething at being saddled with Battler's kid to be with him.
It's also pretty strongly implied in Episode 7 that having a 'stillbirth' and then Rudolf not leaving Asumu pretty much ruined Kyrie's view of parenting and children, since she thought if she'd had a living son and Asumu a stillborn, Rudolf would divorce Asumu for her. It shapes her view of children as things to use to bind your romantic partner to you.

The only reason I'm saying 'implied' instead of 'confirmed' is I'm also decently sure that Bern, while showing the true timeline, also made sure to portray everything in the harshest possible light to hurt Ange more than her parents being the murderers would already hurt her. I think Kyrie genuinely feels that children are 'tools of bonding' or whatever, but she's also at every other point we see her a pretty good mother to Ange. I guess I'm doubtful that she truly didn't bond with Ange, even if her deep-down, hidden resentment of the 'stillborn' situation tainted her feelings deep down.

By swapping the babies, Rudolf didn't just steal Kyrie's chance to truly love and cherish Battler, he tainted her relationship with Ange, too, even though she's good enough at repressing her bitterness he probably never realized it.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Wow. That was a roller coaster ride.

Some thoughts.

1. gently caress Kinzo, etc. It's almost preferable that he stays an enigmatic monster rather than also having that Goofy Grampa side.

2. Shannon/George is doomed outside of Shannon's identity issues. "I've literally murdered people so that we can be together" is hell of an emotional baggage to be carrying into a relationship--consider how, in that very same episode where the lovers are tried, EVA-trice flipped out on George for merely parenting him (and mostly for her own sake, I might add).

3. "Life is sweeter when you're looking for reasons to be miserable," is great self-help advice, but Ange also needs drugs to un-gently caress her brain chemistry (given the family history of mental issues) and also years and years of therapy. She has at minimum epic levels of survivor's guilt that no amount of pep talks from her quantum cat big brother can fix.

4. Gender presentation is not gender identity. Gender role is not gender identity. Lion straight out tells us to unask the question of chromosomes, genitalia, or even headspace. Whether or not this points to Yasu being a particular gender, non-binary, intersex, or transsexual is therefore irrelevant to the story* and not worth a "Believe [Whatever] About Yasu, or You Are Not a True Fan" debate.

* Note that I say to the story. Yasu's drive as a character is that Yasu does not believe Yasu to be worthy of a happy ending, and Kinzo's weird hypocritical beliefs about gender roles certainly colored Yasu's outlook, but it is not the only factor.

4a. Yasu is Yasu, and Shannon, and Kanon, and Beatrice (and Lion, but only in an alternate universe). Yasu is also a fictional character, so it's not possible to ask Yasu how to address Yasu in the third person. If you believe in the Word of God, then accept whatever "God" has stated on the matter. If not, then whatever.

5. Mass murder is not insane in the legal sense that a person committing such a crime can be ruled incompetent to stand trial if they knew what they were doing was wrong. "If I'm going to hell, I may as well take all of these bastards with me" is a perfectly logical (in the strictest sense of "logic"--that is, you can argue the point from a purely rhetorical point of view) conclusion to come to, even if most of us would find that train of thought horrifying and to claim Yasu's actions purely as a result of mental illness is Not Cricket.

6. Battler is goddamn incompetent, to the point of exasperation. Some of us smarties would like a slightly more savvy character to identify with, please. It's a little disheartening that, in the sea of shonen protagonists, the one dude I actively cheered for to succeed was motherfucking Light Yagami from Death Note, who is a murderer with a monumentally stupid philosophy of justice, but at least he was clever(ish) about killing people and not afraid to play dirty when he needed to.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Cage

"Hmmm. And why is that?"
"Well, I... I just sorta..."
"Think back to the 15 slice cake that you found the almond in. If there was only one almond, the odds of winning were one in 15, right?"
"Yeah. One in 15."

I'd thought that waiting for a lot of people to get wrong ones would make my chances for winning higher. But, in the end, no matter when I ate my slice, the odds were still one in 15.

"Still, Ange-chan. What if the servants were also eating the cake, and it started with 20 slices?"
"...Huh? What...?"
"This is a party, right? It's not fair that the servants don't get any cake, don't you think? So, let's say it was originally a 20 slice cake. The servants took out five slices, then redecorated it as a 15 slice cake and let you choose a slice. If so, what would your chances of choosing the right slice be?"

If there were really 20 slices, then the chances would be one in 20.

"However, the servants know where the almond is, so they chose five slices for themselves that had no almonds. In other words, they removed five losing slices. That would mean your chances of winning were one in 15, not one in 20."
"...They took out losing slices, so it's obvious that the probability would go up."
"Just now, Jessica-san did the same thing. Jessica-chan removed one of the two boxes you didn't choose. In other words, the odds that the remaining box you didn't choose was the winner went up a bit, right...?"
"Ahahahahahahahah, I sort of get it, but not really..."

If you remove a losing box, it's only natural that your chances of getting the right one go up. And just now, Jessica onee-chan removed a losing box 'from the pair of boxes I didn't choose'. So, doesn't it make sense that my odds of winning with 'those boxes' went up...?

"...Now I'm getting confused..."
"Actually, you really are incredible, Ange-chan. Even though you're only six, you're trying to understand posterior probability, a concept in probability theory. Probability really is interesting. I'm sure you'll like it when you get into high school and college. Go and enjoy studying it all you can."

My little head was already filled to the brim. Bewildered, I had to beg Aunt Eva for an explanation. Aunt Eva wore a bitter smile too. I'll bet she doesn't really get it herself. As we felt a sense of connection through this failure, we happily grasped the medals we had wrangled out of them...

This is a bit mean-spirited of a riddle, considering that Marilyn Vos Savant's explanation of the Monty Hall problem wasn't published until 1990.

BGM: Eternity

"...? What is it, George onii-chan?"

George onii-chan and Jessica onee-chan were calling to me from the window. Aunt Eva was talking with Mom and the others, and since it looked like they'd be a while, I went over to George onii-chan and Jessica onee-chan.

"What?"
"Looks like the quiz tournament is almost over."
"Yeah. There's only Battler onii-chan and Beatrice left. I'm starting to get sleepy."

It's probably because of that adult drink I swiped from Dad. I've felt floaty ever since I drank that. That floaty feeling keeps getting stronger, and I've been feeling sleepy for a while now. I gave a huge yawn.

"Sleepy?"
"...Yeah. If I had a sofa, I'd probably fall asleep."

"...?"

...The party will end if I fall asleep? But I just wanted to take a nap while everyone else kept having fun.

"Was our puzzle just now a hard one?"
"...Yeah. I still don't really get it. And, I'm sleepy..."
"It's called posterior probability. That's what we call it when the probability of something changes because we learn or fail to learn some sort of information."
"..."

Did George onii-chan call me all the way over here to lecture me on math...? For some reason, I feel even sleepier now.

"So, if we have one almond in ten slices of cake, our chances of getting it are 10%. But what if 'we learn' that those ten pieces were chosen at random from a hundred pieces?"
"You'd think that the probability went from one in 10 to one in 100, right...?"
"Absolutely nothing has changed about your slice of cake. Depending on whether you know or don't know a certain fact, the probability of your slice being a winner changes. Doesn't that sound strange?"
"...That sounds hard, so I don't wanna think about it..."
"Ange. Please, just listen until the end."

Jessica onee-chan's voice grew a bit stern. As young as I was, I couldn't understand what all this was supposed to mean to me.

"There's only one thing I want to tell you. So please, don't forget this."
"...What?"

"The truth is always right there in your hands, Ange. Don't you think it's stupid to let it change around just because you hear someone else's words. Just because you hear what they think the truth should be?"
"The truth inside of you has been in your hands from the beginning. And the nature of that truth is actually something you decide for yourself. You change it yourself depending on what you hear... and what you refuse to listen to."
"You probably don't get what we're saying. But you have to understand. Even if you can't understand when you're six years old, I'm sure you will once 12 years have passed."
"..."

With very serious expressions on their faces, they grasped my shoulders as they spoke. I don't know what they're trying to tell me.

"The truth that lies in your hands is not unchangeable. You'll be interfered with in many ways that'll make it change. So, if the truth you hold in your hands is really important to you..."
"You need to protect it yourself. Don't forget it."
"..."

BGM: Hope

"I see. Even though there were so many of us, it looks like it's finally over."
"How was it? Did you enjoy tonight's party...?"
"Yeah. It was fun. But I think I'm a bit sleepy."
"...That's no surprise, considering how much we've been running around."

I rubbed my eyes. I must have gotten really excited. But whenever I get excited, I'm always tired afterwards. Right now, I'd rather have a sofa to lie on than medals.

"I've got a special puzzle just for you, but are you sure you want it? If you're sleepy, you can stop now."
"No. I've come this far, so I'll keep going... *yaaawn*..."

Onii-chan and Beato laughed at my yawn.

"Looks like it's time to call it a day..."
"Yes. Ange. Let us leave my puzzle for later. It's too difficult to be solved by one with eyes as sleepy as that."
"...No way. I've... come this far, and... I also want... Onii-chan's medal..."

I'm just so... so sleepy...

Ange drifted over to a chair in the corner of the room and plopped down onto it. Then, she closed her eyes, looking like a doll sitting there. It didn't take long before the cute sound of her breathing in her sleep could be heard... When she saw that Ange was finally asleep, Beato spoke softly.

When she spoke, the peaceful clatter that filled the room fell silent. Everyone looked down into Ange's sleeping face. Each of them wore an affectionate gaze, as if they'd just watched a baby finally drift to sleep.

"...Did Ange-chan have a good time?"
"But of course. It might not feel so strong now, but one day, she will surely remember tonight's party and understand how fun it was."
"...You're right."
"...It was fun for us too, getting to play with Ange-chan."

By this point, everyone was standing in a wide circle around Ange as she slept. Now that the guest of honor was asleep, this Halloween party reached a conclusion...

"She will remember. Ange-san. You have a long life ahead of you. Even after 12 years, there is still much for you to experience. I pray that you find this life meaningful and worthwhile."
"...You are the final grandchild and daughter of the Ushiromiya family. All of us pray for your happiness."
"Ange-chan. Stay well. Happiness isn't something you find, it's something you make. And in fact, memories work the same way."
"True. There are some things that we only truly understand when we think back on them years later."
"Make sure you remember my pretty face every now and then. Just having you remember us is the greatest memorial service we could ever have."
"Oh, come on. It's not like we're dying. We're just going to the inside of the cat box... the other side of the curtain."
"That's right. It's not even a curtain. It's just like we are now. Ange-chan's there sleepin' away. The rest of us are right by her side, watchin' over her. We'll always be with her."

All of them still wore warm smiles, but the sound of sniffling came from several places throughout the room... This party wasn't only for the girl who wasn't able to be here this day. It was also for all those people who weren't able to meet her here... who never had the chance to say goodbye...

"...Aunt Eva. Take care of our daughter. She's not honest with herself, and she'll often be selfish and short-tempered. She might be a pain all the time, but..."
"I'll make sure... she's happy. As long as that's what she wants..."
"Ange-sama, it's okay if you forget my face. But please, at least remember the taste of my cooking...!"
"Hohhohohohohohohoho. And I won't ask you to remember old Kumasawa. But please, at least remember the taste of mackerel juice."

Someone said "when'd you feed her that?!" and everyone laughed.

"Her face looks so cute, sleeping there like that. She looks like an angel, just like her name."
"She's not an angel, she's a witch. Ange's the final witch, ANGE Beatrice."
"I wonder if that magic will bring her happiness."
"Will she become a white witch or a black witch? That's for Ange to choose. I've shown her both sides."
"I'm sure a painful life lies ahead for you. You'll probably believe that you're all alone in this world. But we will always be there right behind you, cheering you on. Don't forget that..."

"I'm certain your message reached her."
"...I hope so."
"I'm certain the tale of the two of us will help Ange-sama understand."
"...Yeah."
"Don't you have anything to tell her, George-sama?"
"...I've already said all I wanted with that box puzzle."
"Will that puzzle teach her something?"
"I don't know. But I do know that she's wise. I'm sure she'll learn something from it."
"...Ange-sama. I pray that you are guided along the right path as you move on to the future."

One by one, they stepped forward and said words of farewell to Ange. Then, finally, Battler and Beato walked forward...

Of course, Ange didn't answer in her sleep. But Battler continued.

"It's true that the Ushiromiyas are a strange family. We're super-rich, and that's given rise to all sorts of rumors and stories. However, all of those are just speculation made up by people outside the island."
"...No one will blame you for forgetting these kind memories, young as you were. But even so, you must remember. It is not a sin to forget. But to not remember again... is a sin."
"All of us... were really happy to have you at this party. Right, everyone?"

Everyone nodded at Battler's words. Everyone knew about the merciless and lonely life that awaited her. It was no longer possible for them to heal those wounds. If there was one thing they could do... It was to make her remember what a kind, fun family she had once had. To remind her that today and into the future, they would always care for her and watch over her.

"But you've remembered, right...? You've remembered the truth... about how kind everyone was, and how much of a blast we all had at the family conferences, right...?"

Ange breathed softly in her sleep. Who knows... if those words truly reached her...

"Aunt Eva."
"..."
"...Take care of her."
"You... really think... that I deserve to become her mother...?"
"I do. Even though your own sadness was so unbearable, you tried so hard to be a mother for Ange."
"But, in the end..."
"It's alright. Ange, listen carefully."

Battler grasped Ange's hand, then took Eva's hand and joined the two hands together...

"...We know that a tragic fate will lead to a future where the two of you hurt each other. It's a sad thing for Ange... and just as sad for Aunt Eva. It would've been cruel to ask you to open your heart to her. Likewise, it would've been cruel to ask Aunt Eva to keep on overcoming her sadness after being rejected."
"...Neither of you, is at fault."
"Even so, we have no right to tell you to forgive her. So, we won't. Just try and understand. It doesn't matter how long it takes, how far into the future it happens. Just try and understand Aunt Eva. And, every once in a while, remember us."
"I concur. And, every once in a while, remember this merry, cheerful, attractive paragon of a woman, and chant my name in praise three times every day."

The relatives smiled bitterly, apparently disagreeing with some of that last bit. Eva softly stroked Ange's cheek and spoke one last time.

Eva wiped her eyes and slowly stood up. Hideyoshi held her shoulder, and Rudolf and Kyrie gathered around her too.

"...Genji-san. Would you mind carrying Ange to somewhere she can lie down?"
"As you wish. Shall I take her to the guesthouse?"
"It'd be a little too sad to leave her all alone there."
"You're right. Could you carry her to the sofa in the parlor? That way, she'll be able to come back if she wakes up and feels like joining in again."

Genji gently lifted Ange up and carried her towards the parlor. Everyone continued to watch over her as she left...

"Shannon, Kanon. In the end, how many medals did Ange gather?"

"Hmm, I see. Then place this by her pillow."
"Yes, as you wish."

Genji carried Ange to the parlor and set her down on the sofa. Shannon quietly laid a warm blanket on top of her. Kanon placed a message card by her pillow, along with that thing Kinzo had given them.

The message card read as follows:

It's time to tally up your score! How many medals you got determines what prize you get:

0 medals
1 medal
2 medals
3 medals
4 medals
5 medals
6 medals
7 medals
8 medals
9 medals
10 medals
11 medals
12 medals
13 medals
14 medals
15 medals
16 medals
17 medals

Ange, mumbling in her sleep, held it tightly against her cheek.

"Let us go. We mustn't wake her."
"Nee-san."
"...Yeah...?"

Shannon thought she saw something glittering silver near Ange's eye... The servants left and closed the parlor door. As Ange slept, she was wrapped up in the soft sound of the rain.

Surely, she was reliving that fun evening once more in her dreams...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 23, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Congratulations on a perfect score! You can once again rest your little grey cells for a while, and I can once again go back to a MWF update schedule.

In other news, Umineko Chiru hits Steam in a month.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
I already threw my wallet at the hard copy of the Question Arcs, so here's hoping Chiru gets one, too.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Side note: There's a lot of extra content that hasn't been shown from this sequence - dialogue from when you pick wrong, Eva's hints, the prizes for fewer right answers, et cetera. I'll get it in eventually, but my priority for now is expanding my backlog so that I can reach the ending promptly. It'll all be up eventually.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

"So, if we have one almond in ten slices of cake, our chances of getting it are 10%. But what if 'we learn' that those ten pieces were chosen at random from a hundred pieces?"
"You'd think that the probability went from one in 10 to one in 100, right...?"
"Absolutely nothing has changed about your slice of cake. Depending on whether you know or don't know a certain fact, the probability of your slice being a winner changes. Doesn't that sound strange?"

Also, ehhhhh... this isn't exactly true. Your probability doesn't change; only your understanding of it does. The Monty Hall problem works the way it does because people are ACTING on the information they have during the course of events, which changes the information that then becomes available; which door you pick determines which door(s) Monty can then open.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Oh, yeah, one more thing I forgot:
6a. Yasu may "blame" Battler for the killings, but I don't. Yeah, he shouldn't have carelessly made a "promise", but he was 12 freaking years old trying to look cool in front of his crush. Perhaps if Battler didn't exist, or was less of a stubborn idiot, or any number of other what-ifs, he wouldn't have been the "inciting incident", but by the point Yasu planned* murders, even if Yasu didn't execute them, Yasu bears the primary guilt, no matter how sympathetic Yasu's situation is/was/would have been.

* Note I said "planned". I don't mean a Christian-style "murder in your heart=actual murder" philosophical argument, but once someone has crossed that threshold of deciding "I am going to make a murder; here is how I will carry it out" this fulfills Motive and Means, and all that lacks for actual prosecutable murder to take place is Opportunity and Action. Of course, the law will not step in until a murder is committed, but there's a reason pretty much every religion and every secular psychological institution tells you "be mindful of your thoughts".

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
too bad Sayo didn't channel their murderous tendencies to writing murder novels like this irl murderer

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... Do you know what I'm thinking about today? I'm thinking about Sara Teasdale. She was a poet in the lyric style.

She isn't taught very much at school (I didn't hear about her until college, which I find shameful given how much I like her verse), but she is very good at capturing both the romantic ideals of beauty and innocence, and those ideals' corruption by the terrible encroachment of the anxiety and doubt that life brings... even without the whole Great War thing hanging over everything. Much has been made of Teasdale's probably most famous poem "There Will Come Soft Rains," that she "predicted the atom bomb" years before it dropped, but I don't really think any such interpretation is required- that was the mindset that was prevailing at the time, the widespread doubt and sudden unease and dread for the future that birthed the existentialist movement, borne of the realization that the world had grown so small and connected that a single terrorist act could plunge the entire world into war. But I'm not thinking about There Will Come Soft Rains today, nor am I thinking of any of her more serious stuff- I'm thinking of one of her more reminiscent pieces in which she talks about the joys of her childhood, and how she is reminded of them in dreams, a small ditty that got set to glorious music by Eriks Esenvalds:

Only in sleep I see their faces,
Children I played with when I was a child,
Louise comes back with her brown hair braided,
Annie with ringlets warm and wild.

Only in sleep Time is forgotten –
What may have come to them, who can know?
Yet we played last night as long ago,
And the doll-house stood at the turn of the stair.

The years had not sharpened their smooth round faces,
I met their eyes and found them mild –
Do they, too, dream of me, I wonder,
And for them am I too a child?

Huh- revisiting the joys of childhood through dreams... a bit like Ange is having now, either through magic or through dreaming. It is a powerful and sweet thing to do to remember dreams, to remember that you were loved by somebody, that you had people pulling for you in your corner... It is something we absolutely need to face the various trials of life.

But is that really enough?

Because in the end, dreams are just... dreams. It's just our subconscious arranging a framework from our desires and memories that is desirable and uplifting, and the question is not if they have power, they unquestionably do, but if they really can last beyond how long we can hold them in our minds. Because we can't stay in dreams forever, no matter how nice- we have to wake up sometime, and either say goodbye to our dreams or seek to implement them in the waking world. And if our dreams are of loved ones who are now dead or otherwise separated from us, or are complicated by the conflicting narratives of competitors and adversaries and other memories of abuse and neglect, well... there's not much we can do about that, is there? We could seek to maintain those memories in the present, but past a certain point, that process only serves to highlight the absence of those people in life now. I mean- Ange's family is happy and in heaven. Great- what good does that really do Ange? They get to hang out in her cat-box while she is in reality and eats poo poo? What possible good does that do anyone? If she's meant to go out and find a new family... well, someone has to show her how to do that. She's spent years building a barrier between herself and the world that hurt her, and has grown so used to maintaining that remove that she couldn't just take it down, even if she wanted to- she's too used to it. Battler and Co. seem to treat it as a matter of choice alone, and maybe it is... but to say it's just that is too... simple. You need something more.

After all, Teasdale had happy memories of childhood and innocence. They did not save her. Will they save Ange?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This is an interesting topic particularly in light of the Monty Hall Problem's popularization in 1990.

Remember- In the 1980's, repressed "memory" recovery was all the rage.

quote:

"...No one will blame you for forgetting these kind memories, young as you were. But even so, you must remember. It is not a sin to forget. But to not remember again... is a sin."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

resurgam40 posted:

They did not save her. Will they save Ange?

Each minute bursts in the burning room,
The great globe reels in the solar fire,
Spinning the trivial and unique away.
(How all things flash! How all things flare!)
What am I now that I was then?
May memory restore again and again
The smallest color of the smallest day:
Time is the school in which we learn,
Time is the fire in which we burn.

tiistai posted:

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed. As for how she knew about it, Rudolf did talk about the matter with Krauss and Natsuhi sometime after Battler left, right? Maybe Yasu, Genji or Kumasawa overheard that conversation or some other one Krauss and Natsuhi had later and then figured it out. Maybe it's some kind of meta magic. Doesn't really seem like a very important detail to know.

e: To be clear, he talked about his relationship with Kyrie, probably not that Battler was her son. Still, Yasu must have found out about it somehow after all.

Rudolf may have told Battler on the island, and Battler might have mentioned it to Yasu before events transpired. As the game has reminded us over and over again, many things could have happened on that island before half of its surface was obliterated. Even if we might grasp the central mystery, we'd never be able to figure out all of them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Which of the episodes was (were?) written by a Witch Hunter again?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I didn't really expect it to go as far as saying "the bluebird of truth was with you all along".

idonotlikepeas posted:

Rudolf may have told Battler on the island, and Battler might have mentioned it to Yasu before events transpired. As the game has reminded us over and over again, many things could have happened on that island before half of its surface was obliterated. Even if we might grasp the central mystery, we'd never be able to figure out all of them.

It's also that if we presume Asumu had the chance to figure it out, Yasu theoretically could have as well.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Which of the episodes was (were?) written by a Witch Hunter again?

the first two were message bottles, the next four were written by Hachijo

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Apropos of nothing, I happened to look at the Wikipedia page for the name 'Shannon' and found out that it was originally a boys' name (and is apparently still sometimes used as such), although it was originally derived from the name of an Irish goddess. I hope I'm not just reciting common knowledge here, but that seems to be another narrative layer of Yasu's gender ambiguity.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It took me 5 weeks but I just finished episode 4. What a ride.
Shame that the later 4 episodes aren't localized.
My current theory: 'kanon' died but he lives on with his real name. and will kill battler on the island.
Culprit is also close to Maria since in all but 1 episode she survives until the end and the last episode has her killed peacefully

I can finally start reading this thread. Hope I can catch up quickly. I haven't read a single post yet. But i am anxious to start.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sefal posted:

It took me 5 weeks but I just finished episode 4. What a ride.
Shame that the later 4 episodes aren't localized.
My current theory: 'kanon' died but he lives on with his real name. and will kill battler on the island.
Culprit is also close to Maria since in all but 1 episode she survives until the end and the last episode has her killed peacefully

I can finally start reading this thread. Hope I can catch up quickly. I haven't read a single post yet. But i am anxious to start.

This is the thread that keeps on giving :3: godspeed, friend!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Welp. This just got interesting.

And now here a lot of us are, standing in the other side of the fence, watching a new fellow figure their way through this mystery. Is this what it feels like, witchchat? The knowing of it all?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

My theory:

0. Kinzo makes leaves the revolvers in the treasure room and sets the bomb (via orders to Genji, most likely), expecting his children to kill each other for the gold if they solve the epitaph or for the bomb to blow up if they don't. This, in his mind, clears his debt to Beatrice.

1. Yasu solves the epitaph, turns off bomb, becomes Beatrice, originally planning some way to save grandkids (or at least Battler), hence leaving the letter about the epitaph.

2. Beatrice kidnaps Krauss, threatens Natsuhi and either fake-murders or real-murders Hideyoshi to force Natsuhi's confession, and fakes the deaths of Shannon and Kanon to make it easier to move around and commit closed-door murders.

3. Eva (and possibly Natsuhi) find the gold and accidentally turns the bomb back on, believing the mechanism to be lying.

4. Beatrice real-murders Dr. Nanjo and Genji, the two most complicit in Beatrice's current state; any other deaths, if they happen, are because Eva (and/or Natsuhi) need to hide secrets.

5. The bomb goes off, killing everybody except Beatrice (who was running around pretending to be corpses and/or the witch) and Battler (who survived through sheer dumb luck, but was severely injured).

6. Beatrice takes Battler to the hidden mansion to treat his injuries. While he recovers, she claims responsibility for all of the murders and writes the two bottle stories as a "confession".

7. The other stories represent the various theories the public come up about what happened on the island, not actual published stories; Ange imagined the Witch Game scenario as she contemplated the bottle stories and the various theories.

8. Twelve years after the incident, Ange went to the island, got shot at, but Beatrice and Battler saved her before she was killed (she may or may not be shot in the stomach). The shock of nearly being killed and seeing her big brother alive and well but side by side with the so-called Witch of Rokkenjima has made her effectively catatonic. The last episode is Battler and Beatrice making one last desperate attempt to get through to her.

9. The story doesn't have a happy ending because Ange confuses forgiveness (not holding hatred for wrongs done to her) for reconciliation (trusting the person who did the wrong to not do it again and restoring the previous relationship), refuses to do either, and dies of her wounds.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^I actually really enjoyed this theory. The cold slam of the truth that murders actually took place right after all this happiness? Quite simply, delicious. :discourse:

As a follow-up, that contrast between what Battler wants Ange to think about Rokkenjima vs how brutal everything was just highlights the issue of moving on despite a traumatic past. Let us say that Yasu represents the pinnacle of not handling their traumatic circumstances well, in multiple meanings of the word pinnacle. 'Pinnacle' as the obvious overstatement definition. 'Pinnacle' in literary terms in relation to the story. And lastly 'pinnacle' as in Yasu being at the very top of a mountain of bad circumstances that had been built up by other people long before they were ever aware yet which they were left stranded on top of. *

Yasu is the capstone (or at least so Battler wants) of decades of familial trauma, abuse, and not handling such healthily. Before Yasu not handling their pain well with murder came Maria not handling their pain well with fantasy due to Rosa not handling their pain well with violence due to... And so forth. This long chain of trauma has yet to be avoided by anyone in Rokkenjima. Hell, it can even be seen with Genji passing along their unhealthy dehumanizations of themselves to Yasu, who must have grown up seeing him devote all of his life into Kinzo for disproportionedly little attention and think such relations were normal, perhaps even ideal.

So for Ange to be perfectly willing to fall into an unhealthy coping mechanism (hatred), that's where Battler wants Ange to be different. There's a long chain of abuse that links the people on Rokkenjima together, sure, but don't pick up the chain yourself.

There's this one tumblr comic I've seen but can't find at the moment that explains PTSD and the importance of processing unprocessed memories. A lot of the times traumatic incidences will be left unprocessed in the mind for survival reasons. This creates the unfortunate situation of having traumatic memories that have not lost any of their potency lying around haphazardly for years as they are continuously left raw and unprocessed. Processing those memories via talking it out, writing, art, anything, helps those memories finally loose their severity and move on

Well I mention that because I think Battler is trying to get Ange to process her memories. Ange knows that Eva was a human being and probably had her reasons for being how she was. Being able to remove the nigh monolithic identity Eva held as an inhuman monster in Ange's mind can help Ange get out from under the shadow of what another person can do to each other. Likewise for all the other characters.

I think I had more to this post, but it's getting long as is and I'm on a mobile so I'll call it here.

*And of course 'pinnacle' is also defined as a high, pointed piece of rock, similar in essence to a cliff, and this of course ties into Yasu's prime identity as Cliff Baby and how their life has been marked by a series of significant instances relating cliffs, cliffs being the true antagonistic entity of the entire series that Ryukishi has been trying to warn us of all this time since similar to the trauma that they cause, cliffs can not be ran away from, cliffs can not be fought, but they can be reasoned with once one knows the truth of cliffs, you can't run from the truth about cliffs, YOU CAN'T RUN FROM THE TRUTH--

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Please do not spoil the existence of the true final boss, the anthropomorphic cliff who looks like a young woman with no pants on.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

"Thanks. Was she sleeping well...?"
"Yes. She is sleeping peacefully."
"The noise from here won't reach the parlor, right...?"
"That's right. The door is closed, so I don't think it will reach."
"...Ange. Sweet dreams."

When Beato clapped her hands loudly above her head, a white flash filled the hall, and its entire appearance changed in an instant. The hall had transformed into a golden party chamber, with gold butterflies flitting about and gold leaf dancing everywhere.

"Yes, the true party shall begin now!"
"You said it! Okay, the anti-magic toxin is totally gone!! Everyone, come on in! The party after the show is about to start!!"

BGM: Happiness of Marionette

By the time it passed, the number of faces had grown significantly.

"Indeed. Let us enjoy ourselves as well."
"Come on, haven't we been enjoying ourselves the whole time?!"
"Pu ku ku ku. In this world, the one who enjoys the most is the true winner."
"Come, let's have the Seven Sisters over here too."
"The Seven Sisters of Purgatory, right here!!"
"I can't believe the game is finally over! Waaah!"
"What do you think you're doing, crying at the after-party! You little crybaby!"
"Lord BATTLER, Beatrice-sama, thank you for the invitation!"
"I wanna see six-year-old Ange-sama's sleeping face and have it all to myself!"
"I wanna see the food and have it all to myself!!"
"Then I wanna see a good man and have him all to myself!!"
"Why are you clinging to Battler when you say that?! Stop, thief!"
"Glad to see you, Seven Sisters of Purgatory! Enjoy yourselves!"
"Ah yes, things do get much noisier the moment they enter a room."
"And what makes that so terrible?! In fact, it still isn't nearly noisy enough!"

Another gold cyclone rose up. In its wake, three people with bunny ears came into view.

"It's such an honor to be summoned to a gathering such as this!"
"I haven't had nearly enough fun for it to end yet nyeh. Nihihihihi!"
"There, I agree with you. But fear not, for our game will continue much longer than this."
"For eternity, inside the cat box. Glad to have you here, Chiester Sisters."
"Lord BATTLER, allow me to express our deep gratitude for your invitation. In the future, we will endeavor to show even more-"
"Come on, don't be so stiff and formal. Tonight, we're all equal!"
"That's right nyeh! Battler gets it nyeh, nihihihihihihi!!"
"S, stop it, 410. You're getting carried away... We'll get in trouble!"
"<Hi> Riiche. Long time no see! Wow, how long's it been since we've had so many of us here?"
"Not since Natsuhi's trial, right? And you could hardly call that a party!"

"...Dang, just how many of them are there?"
"If they keep coming like this, there'll be more of them than us humans..."
"You can come out now, Sakutaro!"
"Uryu-!!"
"Lord BATTLER. It was an honor to receive your INVITATION."
""Let it be known that it is an honor.""
"Hey! Glad you came. It's been a long time. How've you been?"
"Very well, thank YOU. Fighting with you all is always the most FUN. I have had enough of stamping DOCUMENTS."
"Commander Dlanor. Know that your to-do box is piling up as we speak."
"Please make haste with the approval of our vacation papers. We want those."
"Pft, wahahahaha! Sounds like living in the Great Court is as boring as ever!"
"...Lord BATTLER. I fear I must bring you some unfortunate NEWS."
"Hm, what is it?"

Dlanor held out an envelope. It was one of the invitation cards that Battler had handed out for this night's party. The name on the card was... Furudo Erika.

The invitation was filled with stamps bearing the unreadable words of various foreign countries. Even without reading them, it was easy to guess that it had been returned to sender, destination unknown.

"I see... Thanks for trying so hard."
"The depths of oblivion are like an empty endless desert, or perhaps the bottom of the SEA. No one besides Lady Bernkastel herself could find her LOCATION..."
"I did send invitations to those witches too. We'll have to hope they have the kindness to bring her along..."
"...Lady Bernkastel is just like a cat. She'll show up whenever she feels like it, but when she doesn't feel in the mood, she'll never come no matter how often you call her."

"Lambdadelta. So, you came."
"Believe it or not, I'm a busy person, okay? Still, I am Beato's guardian. Wasn't I your guardian too? Well, anyway, I came because it's my 'responsibility'."
"I happened to be in the neighborhood, so I stopped by! Hey, you, Gohda! I've brought you some presents! Could you just put these wherever for me?"

For someone who just dropped by because she was in the neighborhood, she brought an awful lot of colorfully wrapped bottles and food boxes.

"Bernkastel isn't here yet."
"You really think she'd come? She's not the kind of kid who'd just drop by to say 'hi' at a game she's lost."
"...Probably. After all, she is very proud."
"I seem to remember her putting us through hell, but she's still one of the players in this game. Might as well have her over to celebrate the final night of the final game."
"You're right. Without that kid, this game might not have reached its conclusion. Enemies and allies are the bare minimum needed to establish a game."
"True. Without a foe, there can be no game."
"At least I can enjoy defeat as just another part of the game. That kid can't. Too bad, but she's been through a lot. So please, don't blame her too harshly."
"Actually, I was planning to thank her. A lot of crazy stuff happened, but thanks to her, we were able to make it to where we are today."
"...Thanks. I don't know when I'll see her next, but if I'm lucky, I'll get my chance in a few hundred years. I'll let her know what you said then. Ah, that's right. They don't have invitations, but I've brought two guests with me."
"Guests? Who? I'm pretty sure I sent invitations to all the usual suspects..."
"Come on over, you two! I'll introduce you."

When Lambda snapped her fingers, the empty air exploded and two forms appeared.

"...If it isn't WILLARD!"

"...Now here are some unfamiliar guests. Who are they?"
"Owowow... don't... pinch... rear end!"

"You have the mark of the One-winged Eagle on your clothes. Are you an Ushiromiya...?"
"My name is Ushiromiya Lion. In my world, we're cousins."
"I'll introduce Lion! This is the successor to the Ushiromiya family headship, born only in a world of extremely low probability. In that world, Jessica isn't an only child. She's Lion's little sister."
"Now there's a surprise... There's really a world like that...?"
"...Wait, you couldn't be..."

"..."
"Seeing you smiling happily is the greatest joy I can imagine. I'm as glad as anyone else that you've made it to this point."
"...I see. So, it's you... I'm glad you're here..."

Beato realized who and what Lion was. The two of them stared at each other's faces, as though looking at their own face in a mirror.

"Willard's the name. I'm just a passing stranger who got caught up in a game you know nothing about."
"He is an Inquisitor of Heresy of the Great Court, like MYSELF. A truly great one, though he is now RETIRED."
"I see. If you're Dlanor's friend, you can't be anyone bad. Please, make yourself at home."
"Just where did these two come from?"
"Bern brought them in and made them pieces. When she was done with them and about to crush them, I picked them up. Auau said leaving them there'd leave a bad aftertaste."
"Is that okay? If, by chance, Lady Bernkastel does drop by here..."
"On this game board, they're my pieces, okay? And I can't wait to see the look on that kid's face when she bumps into them in a place like this. *giggle*giggle*giggle*!"
"...I don't really get it, but you obviously brought them here for some shady reason."
"That's all for my gifts. I'll just hang around for the rest. Okay, I'm leaving the rest to you, the host."
"Come, Lord BATTLER!"
"If you don't announce it, we can't start!"
""The start of tonight's party at the end of this long, long game!!""

"Enough of that. It's embarrassing."
"Come on, it's a wife's responsibility. I'm not letting anyone else take it!"

Beato sulked and handed Battler a glass of champagne. Come to think of it, everyone had a glass in their hands now.

"Maria, you're a kid, so drink some juice instead!"
"Uu-!! I want champagne too!"
"Hey, Maria-chan, why don't we drink some juice together."
"Battler, our drinks are getting warm!"
"Agreed. Begin, Battler."
"No objections, I see. This way please, Lord BATTLER."

Ronove motioned towards the center of the room. When Battler stepped forward, everyone silently awaited his words.

Everyone raised their glasses to the heavens as they cheered, and afterward, the soft sound of glasses clinking together rang out across the room...

BGM: Worldend (solo)

Maybe that was what did it.

Before I realized it, my cheeks were wet with tears. I was lying on the sofa, covered by a blanket. I can just barely remember getting sleepy and falling asleep in a chair. Someone probably carried me here. I can't actually hear them, but I get the feeling that everyone's still in the hall, having a good time.

...I... want to go there too. No. I will go. Over there. It's what I've wanted the whole time, but I've never tried to take the first step. I'll go to where everyone is. My head still feels hazy, so there aren't any complicated thoughts in my mind. But that's okay. It's okay if my head's empty. I'll be together with everyone. I'll go to where they are. That's all that matters.

I got up from the sofa and put on my shoes. Let's go. To where everyone is.

The parlor door was shut. I tried to open it, but maybe because of my clumsiness, I couldn't get it open. It was a bit creepy, as though the bad dream I'd just had was continuing.

BGM: Eternal Chains

My mood grew darker and darker. The knob that locks or unlocks the door is on this side. If I twist it, I should be able to lock or unlock it. I turned it. *click*.

The door won't open. Did I accidentally lock it just now? I turned it. *click*. The door won't open. It didn't open the last time, so it should have opened this time. I don't have a clue how I'm supposed to turn it to unlock the door. I kept on alternating between turning the lock and roughly twisting the doorknob. I began to get irritated, wondering why they'd locked me away behind such an inconvenient door. Eventually, I ran out of patience and pounded hard on the door, but that noise didn't bring anyone over. Why am I locked up in a place like this, all alone?! And everyone else is having a fun party, right there in the hall...! Let me out of here...!!

At that moment, a cold wind blew past me. The wind rippled through my hair. Wind? Inside...? I turned around... to find the window curtain waving about. There was a sound like scraping or crying. At some point, the double window had opened outwards toward the darkness. The icy wind that came through it... told me that this window was the only exit from this room.

I suddenly realized that the darkness beyond the open window was glaring at me, and my heart leapt.

*jingle* ...A cute sound rang out.

I finally understood. That sound was a cat's bell. The glaring emerald eyes in the darkness... were those of a cat standing in the open window. Its pitch-black, luxuriant fur left only the eyes visible, blending in with the darkness easily. Did the Ushiromiya family own a cat? It has a bell on it, so it can't be a stray. It's a cat someone owns. At any rate, the cat was standing by the window... and staring straight at me.

"...Who... are you...?"

Of course, the cat didn't answer my question. I didn't think it was a cute cat, but I thought it might be trying to tell me something, so I approached it slowly. Then, the cat did an about face, turning its back to me. Then, it turned its head to look at me, almost as though it was telling me to follow it, and it leapt down into the darkness, leaving the jingle of its bell behind. When I peeked out the window, I saw the cat waiting for me under the pounding rain.

I finally realized. This window was the only exit out of this closed room parlor. That cat has surely come to tell me that. The longer I keep standing around here, the longer the cat will have to wait in the rain. That's no good. It'll catch cold.

I climbed up onto the windowsill and went out the window. The wind was strong, and the rain was cold, but I didn't get as wet as I'd thought I would. I might have been in the mansion's shadow. When the cat saw that I was outside, it walked along the wall of the mansion as if guiding me. It quickly disappeared into the blackness, but every now and then, it would turn around and set the bell jingling to let me know it was there.

Eventually, a window with light seeping out came into view.

When I peeked inside, I saw everyone having a good time. I couldn't hear their voices, but they were all right there.

"Open up...! Open up!!"

I pounded on the window, but no one heard. Maybe the window was really thick, or maybe it was just noisy inside. Or, it might have been so dark outside that I blended in with the darkness. In any event, no matter how much I hit the window, it didn't look as though anyone noticed. By this point, my loneliness was giving way to anger. Why don't you notice me? Why did you lock me up in that room all alone?

I've had enough. I'll just get inside somehow and yell at everyone. When the cat realized that I had given up knocking on the window, it led me onwards with another jingle. But just where is this cat going? I know it's following the wall of the mansion. But that's not the way to the front door. The front door might be locked. I'm sure the cat knows a place that I can get into the mansion from... and is leading me there.

Away from the light seeping from the hall, and towards the blackness lit only dimly by the lights in the garden, the cat and I continued to walk. Then, I found it. An open... window. The cat stood below it and looked between me and the window, as though telling me to go inside.

When I walked closer to pick the cat up, it slipped away from my hands and flew into the bushes in a nearby flower bed. Then, as though it really had melted away into the darkness inside the bush, all traces of it vanished. No matter how much I strained my ears, I couldn't hear the sound of that bell...

Suddenly, the wind changed directions, and the rain started to hit me fiercely. I can't stay in a place like this forever.

"...I'll go inside. What room is this, I wonder..."

I climbed up onto the windowsill and entered the room. Then, the window silently shut and locked itself. Good. That saves me the trouble of doing it myself.

The room was completely dark. However, as my eyes got used to the darkness, I was able to make out a few things. It was a large room. There was a long table, and many chairs. It was... the dining hall. Perhaps because I realized this and was relieved, I was suddenly unable to see again. I searched blindly along the wall for the light switch. Then, finally, I felt a familiar shape. Wouldn't it be annoying if I pushed this, and the light didn't come on?

*click*.

In fact, it was nearly the opposite, and an annoyingly bright light filled the dining hall and made my eyes hurt. I slowly opened my tightly shut eyes. And then... I saw the state the room was in.

The dining hall was covered with blood... Here... and there... were humans lying on the floor.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
...You're such an rear end in a top hat, Bernkastel

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... Oh, Battler. You poor, sweet, good boy; you constant inheritor of Sisyphean tasks beyond your abilities. There is no anger in me anymore for you, not after eight punishing chapters... there is only sadness. Sadness for you, for Ange, for everyone caught in this maelstrom that they don't deserve. Because I can see why Ange misses you, how you charmed a young Yasu all those years ago... You are the nicest guy; the best brother or boss anyone could ever hope for. You unquestionably deserve better than you've gotten, or are going to get. You're a great protagonist... you're the best.

And you should never, ever have attempted to do what you did tonight. Because no matter what you really are, a sorcerer from beyond time, a guardian angel, or a dream that Ange can't let go of... You don't get it. You have either been too absent from Ange these 12 years and still see her as the precocious, moody six-year-old you remember but no longer exists... or you are a chimerical creature composed of only some of the parts that create a human mind. Real or imagined, you are composed in Ange's mind of what some would say are the best parts of humanity, and would probably be correct... of all of the things that save and uplift us from the drudgery of the present. Battler is happiness, Battler is wonder, Battler is mercy for ourselves and others... Battler is, above all, hope. And hope is incompetent.

And it is, isn't it? Hope makes us feel better about our current situation by saying that the suffering we are dealing with is an impermanent situation which will be alleviated, that these troubles, too shall pass... but what is that feeling routed in? Nothing. It is not informed by science or mathematics (beyond some notion of probability), it requires no proof of evidence of history, it's just the blind feeling that we'll get what we want and things will turn out OK because... well, because they have to. It's just a preservation from the idea that misery and wretchedness are the worlds natural state and that life is a series of dispassionate, meaningless events, and that's fine. But when it attaches itself to impossible things, and the imagination gets involved, especially if our imagination is particularly strong and creates a really great image- like, say, a paradise of happiness where all of your dead relatives live free of pain and all their dreams come true, presided over by your sorcerer brother- that cannot actually be true in any sense of the word, a place which you can only imagine but never join... is that not torment? Would that not just be suffering unending? Wouldn't you wish you could just rip out that stupid, cheerful voice for filling your head and building your hopes for something that can never be true, that you yourself can never be a part of? What good is envisioning happiness or comfort if we know well that we'll never actually get it? What good is imagining love if love is beyond touch? What use is a party you can't get to, but can hear? And what good are happy memories if you know that they will come to ruin later?

So what if Kinzo was a good granpa to Ange? He still raped his imprisoned daughter and begat Yasu, who was herself imprisoned and so depressed about her situation that an island got blown up. It does not matter if it was an accident or murder- Ange lost her family either way. She still grows up alone and bullied either way. So what loving good is this party to her, when any party she throws will just be her and Amakusa being snarky at her and maybe some champagne?

Look, Battler, you tried. You tried, and it was a good effort, but it is incomplete. Wonder, mercy, forgiveness and hope are great things, but there are places in the mind that hope never sets foot in, filled with things that crawl out when one is alone and tired and everyone else is gone. And it's their turn at the microphone now...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 23, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

But when it attaches itself to impossible things, and the imagination gets involved, especially if our imagination is particularly strong and creates a really great image-
We talking about Ange or Yasu here? :v:

But yeah, when Ange started talking about wanting to join the fun party I got this sense of foreboding. There's only one way Ange can join the party with all her dead relatives who died mysteriously, and I sure as poo poo hope that's not what Battler wants for his sister.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

And hope is incompetent.

I would quibble with that. Hope that is not rooted in real, certain Truth (capital T truth, not Red or Blue or Gold or whatever color text in a visual novel) is incompetent.

For example, a child growing up in a loving home Knows that they never have to worry what to eat from meal to meal, but they have real Hope that the meal will contain something they like (even if they have to scrunch up their nose at the inevitable dish that's Good For Growing Children) because Mom and/or Dad always try their best to make good food.

A child growing up with an abusive home has less certainty, but still hopes anyway because the alternative is literally unthinkable--if they Know every meal is poison and is killing them slowly, then they might as well die (literally or metaphorically).

Ange's current position is that Battler's Truth is hollow wishful thinking, while Battler is (ineptly, as always) arguing for that his Truth is true enough so long as Ange is willing to believe in it (without love etc.). Not helping the situation is that the Ushiroyama household is BOTH a loving family AND an abusive one--so what can be certainly Known, and what can be realistically Hoped for?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you can always enjoy a party with your dead family if you have magic

don't you guys believe in magic already?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Dlanor held out an envelope. It was one of the invitation cards that Battler had handed out for this night's party. The name on the card was... Furudo Erika.

The invitation was filled with stamps bearing the unreadable words of various foreign countries. Even without reading them, it was easy to guess that it had been returned to sender, destination unknown.

Tsk.

I mean, murders, yes, but that's just uncalled-for.

resurgam40 posted:

And hope is incompetent.

Some for the Glories of This World; and some
Sigh for the Prophet's Paradise to come;
Ah, take the Cash, and let the Credit go,
Nor heed the rumble of a distant Drum

I guess it's just my job to quote poetry at you now.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Furudo Erika occupies what seems like a unique role within the series. She is the only mortal piece to have shown up on the Rokkenjima86 gameboard for only two of eight games so far, unless you count Kinzo (or Ange in ep8, but she was already a part of the Ushiromiya clan so it's still different, or Lion, who existed in a different form in episodes other than 7). Game 6 almost doesn't count on that front, since she was acting, within the game, with outside knowledge with her tape tricks and culprit claim and whatnot.

I fully expect her to show up some time this game and for some questions about her to finally be answered, since she doesn't really make sense as a throwaway.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
And this is why you have to be picky about your invites.

I'm currently having trouble deciding if this is an allegory for making peace with one's self or asking Ange to commit suicide. And since R07 was a former social worker, I'm pretty sure that suicide is not the goal here.

Goddamnit, Battler. Your incompetence is starting to make me confused as to what the hell you're doing with this anymore.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kytrarewn posted:

I fully expect her to show up some time this game and for some questions about her to finally be answered, since she doesn't really make sense as a throwaway.
Erika's situation is more or less explained in her EP 6 death profile.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Now now don't dismiss hope that much. Without some from of hope thinking life does not exist.

Now then lets see what the liar is up to. Also I was right Bernkastel can not stop being a villain no matter how much they claim, which fits because it was their pieces which had red truth over rule red truth and breaking the game. So why wouldn't the master follow the same "I changed the rules so I win even if I have to throw the table" be any different.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I actually really like Erika. She's terrible, but she's entertaining, and understandable, and interesting. And incompetent.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Erika is the best character and true heroine, please respect.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

As for what Battler (or whoever is writing this) is thinking, it's been spelled out pretty clearly, I think. "Stop living in the past; you have to move on from this tragedy and try to find happiness." I guess we'll see whether she takes that to heart.

PetraCore posted:

I actually really like Erika. She's terrible, but she's entertaining, and understandable, and interesting. And incompetent.

Rodyle posted:

Erika is the best character and true heroine, please respect.

<Good>. Let's form a fan club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

... Oh, Battler. You poor, sweet, good boy; you constant inheritor of Sisyphean tasks beyond your abilities. There is no anger in me anymore for you, not after eight punishing chapters... there is only sadness. Sadness for you, for Ange, for everyone caught in this maelstrom that they don't deserve. Because I can see why Ange misses you, how you charmed a young Yasu all those years ago... You are the nicest guy; the best brother or boss anyone could ever hope for. You unquestionably deserve better than you've gotten, or are going to get. You're a great protagonist... you're the best.

And you should never, ever have attempted to do what you did tonight. Because no matter what you really are, a sorcerer from beyond time, a guardian angel, or a dream that Ange can't let go of... You don't get it. You have either been too absent from Ange these 12 years and still see her as the precocious, moody six-year-old you remember but no longer exists... or you are a chimerical creature composed of only some of the parts that create a human mind. Real or imagined, you are composed in Ange's mind of what some would say are the best parts of humanity, and would probably be correct... of all of the things that save and uplift us from the drudgery of the present. Battler is happiness, Battler is wonder, Battler is mercy for ourselves and others... Battler is, above all, hope. And hope is incompetent.

This has been eating at me all day. So permit me to break in for a moment.

Don't lose hope now!

You're absolutely right, life is a bastard, and every day a million different things happen that grind the soul to dust, and know what is going on in the world should send us all screaming into the darkness, until our bodies break and fall apart, and we are left in a corner stewing in our own waste, waiting for the end to come, because it's a drat sight better to die now than have to deal with one more day of this tortured existence, this pitiful god-forsaken world.

But dammit, we have hope because there exist a reason to get up each morning, a reason to pull ourselves from the ash-heap of yesterday and burn bright as the sun, to push one more drat inch forward, no matter how hard we get kicked back, because dammit, even if it's only an inch, it's one inch more than yesterday! Ange has gotten trashed, and trashed hard, and she's gonna have a hard life moving forward, but right now, right this second, I feel she needs this moment, to remember that yes, the world has it's darkness, but it's light, and it's all in the grays of the world that we live in. And Battler is an incompetent charmer, but he's on fire, and he's lighting her a touch so she can get through this dark moment. Because sometimes all you need is that one spark, that one bright moment, to find that life is worth fighting for, worth living.

• Locked thread