Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

scottish people want to be different so bad but none of them can be bothered to learn gaelic

scots is the language of the scottish people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jazerus posted:

the scottish people are northern english so it checks out

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

scottish people want to be different so bad but none of them can be bothered to learn gaelic

Thanks for not letting the fact you had no idea what was going on in that clip stop you from blessing us with your posts

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

can we import corbyn to the us and make him president

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Jazerus posted:

when you're done with jezza send him to the colonies why don't you

Good chance of this happening tbh (if you include the Diego Garcia black site among "the colonies")

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bryter posted:

Thanks for not letting the fact you had no idea what was going on in that clip stop you from blessing us with your posts

a man talking about the footie with a heavy northern english accent got owned, not really anything out of the ordinary

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Squizzle posted:

heckling would be a good name for a type of extremely minor demon

this is a heck

this is a heckling

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

those dogs are ugly and, checks out that they'd be demons

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jazerus posted:

I think it's adorable and fun to listen to :3:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
ulster scots is a literal pretend language made up by unionists to try undermine policies regarding the provision of resources for teaching irish in northern irish schools, it has absolutely nothing to do with scotland

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

tag youre fat posted:

scots is a literal pretend language

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
yeah they're all pretend but you know what i mean

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i like hearing people with heavy Scottish accents speak. for some reason it makes them sound like fun people to hang out with.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jBrereton posted:

2) Gaelic was imposed on a small area of what is now but wasn't then Scotland by Irish settlers, and was briefly popular with the aristocracy, it isn't the ~ancient language of Scotland~ or anything. It's like Norman French in England. Its pretend revival along the west coast is great news for sign makers and character map experts, though.

You could apply the same reasoning to English as well, its linguistic antecedents being imposed on various parts of what wasn't then but is now England by waves of Danish, Saxon, Frisian and Frankish settlers, colonists and conquerors.

In parts of the west of Scotland, like the bit I live in, people of my grandfather's generation spoke gaelic as a first language and didn't speak their first words of english until they went to school. It's not just a language of aristocrats and academics around here, it was spoken by the common mass of the people here within living memory. It may not be the storied ancient language of the Scots, but people hardly accuse the English of playing pretend when they speak something other than High Middle Frisian or whatever.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
gaelic, language spoken only by the ruralest communities in scotland and ireland since god knows how long, is reimagined as a darned bougie tongue on the something awful forums

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

gaelic, language spoken only by the ruralest communities in scotland and ireland since god knows how long
The Hebrides are about as Scottish as Wales is English (and have been part of the country for less time).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

The Hebrides are about as Scottish as Wales is English (and have been part of the country for less time).

What? Think you've confused the Hebrides with the Northern Isles there matey.

Anyway, this conversation is spectacularly dumb on all sides so top job.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

What? Think you've confused the Hebrides with the Northern Isles there matey.
Incorrect.

The Hebrides weren't Scottish territory until the Treaty of Perth, as any fool knows.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

jBrereton posted:

1) The guy on the phone is Northern Irish, is on a Northern Irish radio show, and is not doing wheel at making the case for Ulster (read: Northern Irish) Scots being a real language despite the DUP claiming it is, and that they need money to teach it, Just Like Irish. That's the joke.

2) Gaelic was imposed on a small area of what is now but wasn't then Scotland by Irish settlers, and was briefly popular with the aristocracy, it isn't the ~ancient language of Scotland~ or anything. It's like Norman French in England. Its pretend revival along the west coast is great news for sign makers and character map experts, though.

speakin a norman french, fitz just means fils and i aint never gonna not laugh at that

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Byolante posted:

this is a heck

this is a heckling

aw heck :3:;

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

babypolis posted:

“We all know their politics of hate, blame and division and not the answer, but unless we offer a clear and radical alternative of credible solutions for the problem we face, unless we offer a chance to change the broken system, and hope for a more prosper future we are clearing the path for the extreme right to make even more far-reaching inroads into our communities. Their message of fear and division would become the political mainstream of our discourse."

my dick is so hard

Baloogan posted:

i wanted thatcher 2.0

Yorkshire's already so devastated there was no point in doing it twice

I suppose May could invade the Canaries or something, the RN being beaten by Spanish Naval power would really be a hell of a topper

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Would lol at the EU army forming with the explicit goal of beating the English.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Um, dumb question, er, me hearties:

The next federal election you guys have is in 2022?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Nebakenezzer posted:

Or whenever the government loses a confidence vote

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

federal???

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gum posted:

Or whenever the government loses a confidence vote

Right, forgot about those

JFairfax posted:

federal???

Do you not have provinces

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the UK is not a federal country.

it is not a republic either.

we have devolved regions, but it's not a proper federal system by any stretch of the imagiantion.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

JFairfax posted:

the UK is not a federal country.

it is not a republic either.

we have devolved regions, but it's not a proper federal system by any stretch of the imagiantion.

God, as if the Westminster system of democracy was not enough of a baroque clusterfuck as it is :argh:

In retrospect I know nothing about your system except you call your unelected senate the house of lords, and you have the actual queen/king instead of a governor general

e: something about the privy counsel forming because Charles II did all his minister consulting while on the shitter

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Oct 19, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nebakenezzer posted:

God, as if the Westminster system of democracy was not enough of a baroque clusterfuck as it is :argh:

In retrospect I know nothing about your system except you call your unelected senate the house of lords, and you have the actual queen/king instead of a governor general

we have law lords, a sea lord and the shadow cabinet too

harry potter and the cabinet of shadows

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

nopantsjack posted:

we have law lords, a sea lord and the shadow cabinet too

harry potter and the cabinet of shadows

Shadow Cabinet turned out to be way less cool than I thought it was when I first heard about it. :(

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

bump_fn posted:

reading about jez on teh guardian and saw a link to this old classic headline

dat wink

nationalized :ocelot:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zeroisanumber posted:

Shadow Cabinet turned out to be way less cool than I thought it was when I first heard about it. :(

On the other hand, it still sounds super cool.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

jeremy for shadow president

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Chancellor of the Exchequer is a way better name than Finance Minister

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's crazy that every Shadow Chancellor has to change their legal name to George Albert at behest of the Queen. But hey, the system works :shrug:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/EmmaBowers/status/921093244636803073

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rab wilson writing in """"scots"""" posted:

THIS week ah’m owersettin intil Scots an important piece that haes bin publisht oan the “Big up the NHS” Blog (http://bit.ly/BigUPnhs). The person wha wrote this haes chosen tae bide anonymous. That itsel is a worryin thing. They’re sayin whit thoosans o us aareadies ken aboot wir NHS, tho this is mibbes frae the Englis perspective, but lat me mak it clear – things is warse in Scotland! Ah hae seen it first haund!

l Aa major NHS institutions frae NHS England doun are managed bi a board consistin o Executive Directors (EDs) wha dae the actual wark, an Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) wha are there tae haud thaim tae account.

l The EDs are appyntit bi the NEDs, wha alsae hae the power tae remuive thaim gin they arenae up tae the joab.

l EDs are required at intervals tae provide the board wi assurance that things are aa gaun weel an that gin this isnae the case that thair are plans in place tae correct the situation.

l It is essential that the board accepts this assurance. Gin they arenae assured they must report up tae their regulator – usually NHS Improvement (tho likesay in Scotland it’s much waur – we hae nae regulator o oor NHS tae report tae!).

l Gif they arenae assured the easiest action they can tak is tae get a new ED wha wull assure thaim better.

The kinch is that the EDs ken fu weel that risin demand, puir fundin, a manpower plan that’s a complete bourach, an health inflation wull mak it impossible tae provide honest assurance tae the board

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
First Lord of the Treasury is pretty awesome title too. For extra Britishness, it's completely misleading as to what it does.

Black Rod is snigger worthy for obvious reasons.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Can't believe this is a controversial statement when Milton loving Friedman himself said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can't believe this is a controversial statement when Milton loving Friedman himself said it

It's not in the UK