Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Can't universities just bypass this sort of thing by inviting right-wingers to speak, but just not blatant poo poo stirrers like Spencer?

I mean, how does this even work?

They didn't invite Spencer, he rented the space and they have to allow him because they allow non-student groups to rent space. Other schools get away with some restrictions by requiring a student group to sponsor but then the shitheads at the College Republicans are usually easily convinced to host anyone that brings lib tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/921134864317014017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sorry what

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm sorry what

trumps america, pal

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

What in the everloving gently caress.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mr Interweb posted:

Can't universities just bypass this sort of thing by inviting right-wingers to speak, but just not blatant poo poo stirrers like Spencer?

It works by having a shitload of dark money pushing for the most offensive, divisive, and bigoted assholes possible as conservative speakers.

No, seriously, assholes like Mercer pay out cash to covertly book speaking engagements in misleading ways, pay more cash to publicize the bigot's appearances, then dole out even more cash to the rags of RWM to cover how hypocritical and unconstitutional those wacky liberal students and universities are because their student body is legitimately angry that their university is promoting Nazis.

Rinse rather repeat a dozen times, keep the RWM talking points consistent, and the narrative becomes that colleges hate conservatives and won't let them speak. In the interest appearing "neutral", MSM bows down to this scummy tactic and releases wave after wave of op-eds about how we need to allow Nazis to spread their garbage ideology on the public's dime because *reasons*.

Also, the MSM makes sure to immediately surrender the narrative on Antifa to the conservative crazies so now most Americans probably think they are more dangerous and violent than actual Nazis.

All made possible by our glorious "job creator" class ranking among the most monstrous people in history.

Universities should just say no and let the Nazis take it up in the courts. The legal fees would probably be less than the hundreds of thousands needed for security anyways. Unfortunately it's now accepted that we must let right wing (white) terrorists promote their terrorism on our public property and protection using public money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol wtf

http://www.ci.dickinson.tx.us/DocumentCenter/View/2016

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burn Texas.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Were they hoping they would treat this like apples terms of use and not read it?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Not enough Nazis getting punched in this thread.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/921132060533710848
https://twitter.com/LuisSantana/status/921123429910228992

Here's a good laugh though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dickinson is a small garbage suburb of 20k people between Galveston and Houston.

frankly I doubt a single soul* there has ever considered boycotting Israel

except possibly out of concern for their ties to the globalists

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

More context:
https://theintercept.com/2017/10/19/to-get-hurricane-rebuilding-money-in-texas-contractors-must-promise-they-wont-boycott-israel/

quote:

If you’re confused why the two things are related, look to a bill that Texas’s Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law in July. House Bill 89 prohibits the state from entering into contract with a business unless it “does not boycott Israel; and will not boycott Israel during the term of the contract.” The law applies even to businesses that would refuse to buy products made in illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land — as it defines Israel as both Israel proper and “Israeli-controlled territory.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oh huh. So it's not the fault of Dickinson? That makes me... sadder.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the other hand, it's Abbott, so...not exactly out-of-character.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeeeah, if you can't see how a large foreign donation to a charity with that politician's name, that supports causes they feel strongly about, and that helps increase their family's worldwide influence could somehow be concerning (if not deeply concerning) then I'm not sure what to tell you. Our optics differ.
This is true of literally any action you do that a politician likes.

Yes, there is favoritism in politics for people who elected officials like. That can't, and shouldn't, go away. You're going to have to explain how her charity was fundamentally different.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Majorian posted:

On the other hand, it's Abbott, so...not exactly out-of-character.

Well yeah, absolutely, but it being state level annoys me.

Every once in a while I like to think our state legislature (or, you know, at least Joe Straus) isn't totally moronic.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yes! Thank you!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol he just stops pretending after a minute.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the part where he's done pretending, just acts normal, and then notices the camera is still on him so kind of half assed covers his eyes again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's why I said burn Texas. Or at least their government.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

I like the part where he's done pretending, just acts normal, and then notices the camera is still on him so kind of half assed covers his eyes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtpRjBLXic

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mr Interweb posted:

I'll put together something more robust later tonight (fair warning for anyone who'd like to avoid my posting!), but as a rule of thumb:

Content-based restrictions are almost always forbidden. If the restriction you're picturing or hearing about is based on who the speaker is, what the speaker is saying, how they are delivering their message, or what type of message the speaker is delivering, it's probably not allowed. So to your question, you can't avoid Richard Spencer by renting space to Tucker Carlson. If I can rent the room to give a lecture on the relationship between tediously pedantic online opinions and virginity, you can't avoid Richard Spencer by saying politics are offlimits and also barring Deray (I'll sure think less of you if you try though!).

Kaal posted:

You should re-read that fifth circuit court case, they were pretty clear in the restrictions that they set. University administrators can't use unjustified security costs to create an economic barrier to speech, but justified costs are something else entirely. Indeed Spencer apparently paid some pittance for security inside the auditorium, he just didn't pay anything for the security that ringed the auditorium.

Again I'll go deeper later (don't think I've dug in here since CVille) but this is where Heckler's Veto comes into play. If you have a right to speak/assemble/etc, I can't force the State to restrict or revoke that right through my behavior (whether threatened or actual). The 6th had a case a couple years ago against Wayne County, MI that's a valuable resource on the topic.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Lol is this Kreider?

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

What does an individual's functional boycott of Israel even entail?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Paracaidas posted:

Again I'll go deeper later (don't think I've dug in here since CVille) but this is where Heckler's Veto comes into play. If you have a right to speak/assemble/etc, I can't force the State to restrict or revoke that right through my behavior (whether threatened or actual). The 6th had a case a couple years ago against Wayne County, MI that's a valuable resource on the topic.

The Heckler's Veto concept only ensures that universities can't simply say, "No you can't speak because we don't want a riot". It still permits reasonable fees to be required. Again, the fundamental takeaway here is that universities need to demonstrate that they are levying valid fees, preferably in the form of some sort of objective standard. Ideas that come to mind would be getting an estimate from the sheriff's department, comparing security arrangements with similar situations, and developing a tiered security concept that is based on the severity of civil unrest. University of Florida didn't do that, and instead just waved the white flag and paid out half a million dollars because they didn't want to deal with the issue. But the reality is that Spencer will keep hitting up universities with this sort of thing until he gets the court case he wants - he's just like the Westboro folks, in that he's in the career of drumming up legal business by being as offensive as possible.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

RasperFat posted:

Lol is this Kreider?

Kreider is the best. :allears:

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Kreider is the best. :allears:

This one always stands out as a classic for me.

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It does look like someone maced him though. If you examine the first few seconds of the video you can definitely see a stream of liquid arc up towards his face from the crowd on his right, and based on the immediate reflexive swat up towards his face and stumbling afterwards it looks like he got a face full of mace in his dumb Nazi face.

I’m okay with it. Nazis should be maced.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GarudaPrime posted:

What does an individual's functional boycott of Israel even entail?

I deny the existence of Israel in my heart every day

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RasperFat posted:

This one always stands out as a classic for me.

The text:

quote:

“I had already turned in my cartoon Friday afternoon when, Saturday morning, I read the news that Reagan’s health was failing. I began drawing immediately. I have had a rough draft of this cartoon ready for this occasion for years. As the day continued I kept getting e-mails and text messages from friends excitedly anticipating the Gipper’s impending death. Finally Steve, with whom I have planned for over a decade to hold a party on the day of Reagan’s funeral, called me from the track, where he was betting on the Belmont Stakes, to tell me that the old bastard was finally dead. He reported that there had been a perfunctory Moment of Silence, lasting approximately 1.6 seconds, before everyone went back to betting. It was beautiful. As the afternoon went on I got a flood of congratulatory calls from friends around the world—Ben in Boston, Megan and Mike in New York, Berkeley in Baltimore, even Allison in Bulgaria. I e-mailed this cartoon into the City Paper around seven P.M., begging them in the name of our sweet lord and savior Jesus Christ to stop the presses and please run this Wednesday, and then headed down to Baltimore to drink tiny beers and watch The Big Lebowski. The Reagan party will be held at my house this weekend.

Perhaps it may seem insensitive and unpatriotic to some for me to run such an ugly cartoon at this time of national mourning. To those of you who hold this view, I must respectfully say gently caress you. Some of my younger readers may not even remember Ronald Regan’s presidency, and I would not want them to be misled by the onslaught of state propaganda they’ll be subjected to this week. Calling him the Great Communicator is like calling Hitler the Great Negotiator, and if we’re going to credit him with winning the Cold War we may as well credit him with the Challenger disaster and the return of Halley’s Comet. Let me tell you what it was really like:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country’s wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn’t know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys’ adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter’s Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.”

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

That's loving beautiful :eyepoop:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/921156782579429378

quote:

"To be very blunt, these three jurisdictions will have authority to bring indictments over the ongoing special counsel investigation into Trump campaign collusion with the Russians and potential obstruction of justice by the president of the United States,” Blumenthal told Politico. “For him to be interviewing candidates for that prosecutor who may, in turn, consider whether to bring indictments involving him and his administration seems to smack of political interference."

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/etfp/status/921141889079959552

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think anyone will ever hate a president as much as Hunter S. Thompson hated Nixon, but I feel like this guy comes close with his Reagan hatred.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Senor Tron posted:

You're certainly not showing the non-democratic world the wonders of democracy.

Of what now? The State Department explicitly removed all mention of democracy from their materials this year. Democracy is no longer an American value.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't know how I missed this, and it's kind of timely with all of the Melania bullshit going around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NqscIsidQ

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/north-korea-officials-mash-up/index.html

It's loving sickening to see how little regard the U.S. gives to innocent Japanese and Korean lives

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember anyone that dies died because we can have Trump feeling like he looks stupid. That's pretty much the entire reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It kind of amazes me how many people read the question, "Are we the baddies" and answer it like it was an honest question and not a meme.

• Locked thread