Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

To be fair, you can't poo poo on Love Hotels - sometimes the walls in your apartment are just too thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

TCM so good for healthy

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/10/herbal-remedies-embraced-by-naturopaths-alt-med-widely-linked-to-liver-cancers/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

This is glorious but it's basically a blog post I wrote for a goon in 2008 or 09.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Dear posters, the era of "by 2020" is finished. Xi just moved the goal posts to 2050. I am so sad.

This article is great. I soooo wish I could post this on my Wechat wall, even for the English speakers to read, but I would get so much hate.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 19, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bajaj posted:

This article is great. I soooo wish I could post this on my Wechat wall, even for the English speakers to read, but I would get so much hate.
Isn't that reason in itself? You could float a Tribune's assignment with all that salt.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Today I learned (thanks to the video) that Indians pronounce Haier as "hai yaa" because of their British-English-leftovers where they say all "er"s as "ah."

WarpedNaba posted:

Isn't that reason in itself? You could float a Tribune's assignment with all that salt.
My contact list has dwindled from nearly 100 contacts to about 60 since I left China. I would like to keep a few of them in case I never need to go back, or go visit.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's illegal in Thailand too!
Based on experience and from seeing this happen to friends, this meme summarizes what happens to many seemingly-normal adult humans upon extended time visiting or working in Thailand:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

that looks like a great way for sickness to spread very far very fast

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Supposedly in Korea hand job salons are all over the place. I made a mistake my first week teaching English because I came in with a haircut and my Korean co-teacher thought it would make good banter at the start of class to ask me about it. I said I had just been to the barber and his face immediately soured.

"A barber is a place men go," and he changed the subject.

Later he chastised me for not saying hair dresser because didn't I know the word was culturally loaded in Korea?

How dare I speak English as an English speaker would speak it in English class.

You never go two poles. Right? One barber pole is an actual barber shop, two poles is a rub-n-tug? Or is it the other way 'round?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You never go two poles. Right? One barber pole is an actual barber shop, two poles is a rub-n-tug? Or is it the other way 'round?

Pretty sure it's the double, at least according to that article.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah but people complain if you remove the TVs.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That is one way to cut medical costs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pretty sure it's the double, at least according to that article.

*jots down notes*

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Looks like a dialysis center. Miserable places no matter how they're set up or what's on TV.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

the real rule is they have no windows and are in poorly lit basements

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

the real rule is they have no windows and are in poorly lit basements

i never got any handjobs in a pcbang tho :/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jeoh posted:

Did you ask?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jeoh posted:

sometimes they give you those little yogurts instead

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Are you sure it's yogurt, and not just scraped leavings from former customers?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:iceburn:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I wish I could say that these are the posts that I come back here for.

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/920989775380725761

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

underage at the vape shop posted:

Thats a dialysis machine, so kinda, yeah. No other option to do it efficiently though. In the US you have to be checked for TB before an outpatient center will accept you, I wonder if thats the case in China.

I'm assuming this is a dialysis unit, and that's basically how we do it in the US too, big room with a bunch of machines in it. Dialysis sucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

oohhboy posted:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This is hilarious

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Aussie Conservatives and Mainlanders really deserve each other, lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Chinese gamers no longer need to endure the humiliation of supporting a game that intentionally and unapologetically hurts their feelings. Now they have a very cool and original version of PUBG for themselves, which is also Terminator 2 (???)

https://dotesports.com/pubg/pubg-chinese-mobile-game-terminator-2-16568

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1y13GjN1M

Good job guys! :downs:

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Oh god is the motorcycle made for a 12 foot tall Hagrid or are all the players characters 4 feet tall?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
There's something really annoying about native English speakers adopting "Chinglish" type phrases in their writing. For instance, "foreign talents." It should be foreigner professionals. Or "oral English." Maybe other people use this phrase, but the first time I heard it was when I started studying Chinese. Oral makes me think of the dentist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"oral English" or "oral language" is a quirk common to a lot of ESL learners, it depends on the mother tongue's preference for identifying the thing that communicates rather than the medium. every major EFL culture focuses on the latter though so it constantly confuses me why people would pick up the ESL quirk. like, who does the opposite of what the experts do and thinks that's a great idea?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 19, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Chinese gamers no longer need to endure the humiliation of supporting a game that intentionally and unapologetically hurts their feelings. Now they have a very cool and original version of PUBG for themselves, which is also Terminator 2 (???)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1y13GjN1M

Frame rate too high 0/10 would not play.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devils Affricate posted:

Little emperors getting their face stomped? All my friends swear by how poo poo the players on the AS servers is to the point they feel like its not sporting anymore. I LMAO when I saw the motorcycle.

What I am surprised about is it took this long. They shat out a Overwatch clone in a few weeks that ran at 5Fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJeisfRrdY

They have improved it to 20Fps while making a sleep aide and rip off Disney as a bonus.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

On a stupid quiz show here they asked about listening as an "aural test" and the native bilingual celebrity had this wtf look that has made me like her ever since.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nickmeister posted:

Oral makes me think of the dentist.

well that's a shame

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

nickmeister posted:

There's something really annoying about native English speakers adopting "Chinglish" type phrases in their writing. For instance, "foreign talents." It should be foreigner professionals.

Foreign talent would be acceptable to say. You can see it used in the title of this recent FT article for example. Non-native speakers seem to have difficulty distinguishing between the usages of talent—the singular form can refer to either an uncountable group of skilled individuals (e.g. Hollywood talent) or a particular skill a person might possess. The plural form should always refer to skills.

I am left wondering how the confusion became so widespread. Searching for "foreign talents" brings up numerous sites from Singapore so maybe it could be a Singlish invention?

quote:

Or "oral English." Maybe other people use this phrase, but the first time I heard it was when I started studying Chinese. Oral makes me think of the dentist.

It could make sense when you think of terms like oral presentation. Perhaps "spoken English" would be a better phrase.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Take a rest.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Meanwhile, in Vancouver... posted:

Bandits in luxury cars stealing pumpkins in Richmond
Farmer puts up fence to stop drivers of BMWs and Mercedes vehicles from stealing his crop

People driving the likes of $100,000-plus luxury vehicles are backing into George Gens’ fields and stealing his pumpkins, prompting the farmer to erect fences around his G J Farm in south Richmond.

“I don’t know what to say; it’s hard. People look through, grab, that’s why we have to put a fence up,” said Gens, who immigrated to Canada in 1989 from Paraguay, where he was raised on a family farm.

“It’s not that they take pumpkin, it’s that they steal. I grew up in small place; no one steals; they need food, they ask. I don’t mind.

“If they come to us, they cannot afford, I will give it to them. I see many people; they are poor. They need something, I say take, take, it costs me $2,” said Gens.

But, “it breaks my heart to see a car — $80,000 — come and steal,” said Gens, whose rental fence cost $1,600. 

This, he hopes, should prevent the BMW, Range Rover and Mercedes vehicles from accessing his fields. But many, he said, still seem undeterred as they move the fence's emergency exit to back their vehicles in.

Gens said he has only experienced the theft at such rates over the past four years.

“First we put a sign, ‘No Trespassing,’ and then we put a sign in Chinese and English. But people don’t care, they go right into the field and steal,” said Gens, noting all his big pumpkins have been stolen.

“When you see someone steal something that pleases everybody, I’m not too happy,” said Gens, who wakes up most days at 4:30 a.m. to start work on his 85-acre vegetable farm.

Gens said from his home he hears the vehicles come in at night, after his dogs start barking at them. He said he's also installed cameras, hoping to catch the perpetrators. 

Fellow verteran farmer Bill Zylmans told the Richmond News theft is a unique problem in Richmond.

This week, the City of Richmond launched a social media campaign to “Respect Our Farmers.”

“We’ve been working with local farmers for a number of years . . . to address ongoing issues around vandalism, theft and other conflicts between the general public and farmers,” said city spokesperson Ted Townsend.

“This year, local farmers have raised additional concerns about problems being caused by motorists stopping to observe the ongoing harvest” and/or “helping themselves to farmers’ crops,” added Townsend.

At G J Farm, 11300 No. 4 Road, pumpkins are priced from $5-10 for a good-sized, plump Jack O'Lantern.

Who could be behind this dastardly plot? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
They don't even know what to do with the goshdanged things and they are stealing them :(

• Locked thread