Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ague Proof posted:

Wasn't she the mentor of the deceased? Presumably she had the permission of the widow to be there and to comfort her, but Kelly made her sound like an ambulance chaser. loving dick.

Yeah, she heard the call because she was riding with the family, I think. Kelly's portrayal of her was really lovely and scummy and the easiest place to really take offense to him. But again, the only way that becomes a story is if someone pushes back on it. And if they do we all know there's going to be a fight with the White House and RWM and the GOP all saying she's an rear end in a top hat for doing it and then attacking Kelly. And my guess is Wilson wouldn't want to go through that or put the Johnson family through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Jaxyon posted:

Not that I don't believe that, but is there a reliable source for this?

My Google fu is failing me right now, it might have been Greta. But I definitely remember it being a story when all the "moderate" Fox dropouts were being picked up by mainstream networks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jaxyon posted:

Not that I don't believe that, but is there a reliable source for this?

It was part of the phone conversation Alex Jones leaked about her. Jones complained about a story she had done on him at Fox News and claimed it was filled with lies. Kelly then went on about how that wouldn't happen at NBC because when she got there she was shocked by how careful they were and how many legal hoops and journalistic standards she had to go through to get a story on air and Fox didn't have anything like that.

I'm trying to find it in the leaked call but I can't.

edit: Found it. 15:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpNO675Beg&t=929s

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2017

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arpaio is a convicted criminal.

https://twitter.com/wangcecillia/status/921154794139422720

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Why did they do it? Old men, older people in general seem to have a thing about wanting to be the man. Not sure if it is an age thing or a generational thing, but I'm guessing once they hit Stage Eight of Eriksons stages of development, Ego Integrity vs Despair, those think they haven't done much with their life freak out a little bit sometimes.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

STAC Goat posted:

It was part of the phone conversation Alex Jones leaked about her. Jones complained about a story she had done on him at Fox News and claimed it was filled with lies. Kelly then went on about how that wouldn't happen at NBC because when she got there she was shocked by how careful they were and how many legal hoops and journalistic standards she had to go through to get a story on air and Fox didn't have anything like that.

I'm trying to find it in the leaked call but I can't.

That was it, thank you.

It should have sounded off massive alarm bells for the entire journalism community, but Fox has been around for long enough now it's just accepted that the Republicans get a literal propaganda outlet that legitimate journalism outlets have to fight against. And with the advent of Trump, even more ridiculous shill publishers have been mainstreamed as well. loving Breitbart and Infowars can start narratives now that will actually percolate into tens of millions of Americans poisoned minds.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Oh boy:getin:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

RasperFat posted:

American conservatives have destroyed their own mental faculties with decades of programming propaganda. They have lost their ability to accurately interpret reality.

Even the "professional" right wingers fall into this category, especially if they spend time in the RWM bubble.

Megan Kelly was shocked that NBC actually does fact checking and doesn't just run with whatever story helps their side. She had gotten so used to the trash being produced at Fox that she honestly believed that's how all journalism must be done.

I've thought the same for a while, so it's nice to know that i'm not completely :tinfoil:

These are professionals who obviously are not dumb (Hannity aside.) What parts of their mental apparatus for grasping and comprehending reality are denied/excised? If it wasn't so powerful to ruin so many lives, it would be morbidly fascinating. This is why :tinfoil:, it reads like bad science fiction. But after all of the FOXnews I've seen compared quite simply with reality, you must have to give up some part of your critical thinking to bend your logic around these ideas. In my observation, modern American conservatism seems to be a very singular thing - zealous, almost (sometimes literally) religious aggression, even violent reverence for the past. Any denier must be shouted at, cast out and ridiculed.

FOXnews!!!!!! :tizzy:

Okay sorry.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 20, 2017

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Wait... so does this just mean we get to call him "Criminal Joe" or is there a chance this motherfucking will get tossed in a tent in the middle of the desert?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Goffer posted:

Why did they do it? Old men, older people in general seem to have a thing about wanting to be the man. Not sure if it is an age thing or a generational thing, but I'm guessing once they hit Stage Eight of Eriksons stages of development, Ego Integrity vs Despair, those think they haven't done much with their life freak out a little bit sometimes.

Have you not run across the idea that gender roles used to much more strict in the US & UK?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JanesDueProcess/status/921063929094332416

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

spunkshui posted:

Wait... so does this just mean we get to call him "Criminal Joe" or is there a chance this motherfucking will get tossed in a tent in the middle of the desert?

Getting pardoned wasn't enough for him. He wanted his conviction overturned/vacated precisely so no one COULD call him "Criminal Joe." The downside to accepting a Presidential pardon is that you all but plead guilty after-the-fact.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

spunkshui posted:

I think its just that we get to call him a criminal until he dies. That and he might not be able to vote or run office or stuff like that. He's still pardoned from any jail time, but he wanted the charges cleared.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Goffer posted:

The 47% of men picking 2 is loving incredible.

It's like we're already aware of how disgusting it is viewed by younger society to be masculine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think its just that we get to call him a criminal until he dies. That and he might not be able to vote or run office or stuff like that. He's still pardoned from any jail time, but he wanted the charges cleared.

I'd figure he also thought getting the conviction vacated might save him from potentially dozens or hundreds of potential civil suits, too.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you not run across the idea that gender roles used to much more strict in the US & UK?

What's funny is that that was a really temporary phenomenon. Not that gender roles existed, but that they'd be so very strict. In the early 20th century, gay rights were at a high ebb and things like dressing little boys as pretty little girls were very common. There was a moral panic that gained momentum from the late 20's on, though, cresting in the 1950's. There's a great book about the old culture called "Gay New York."

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd figure he also thought getting the conviction vacated might save him from potentially dozens or hundreds of potential civil suits, too.

So people can probably sue him for emotional damage since his jail was criminally run?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Maddow is back spitting fire tonight about Niger.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

It's like we're already aware of how disgusting it is viewed by younger society to be masculine.

Why forbid yourself the feminine anymore?

spunkshui posted:

So people can probably sue him for emotional damage since his jail was criminally run?

Nah, the county has to pay for that stuff. Immunity is sweet.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Just left the Obama rally in VA, really hope he continues giving speeches

drat it, I'm jealous! I pre-registered but I work out of town so I wasn't able to be at the location to actually pick up the tickets they announced we'd need at the last minute. I'm glad it was a good experience though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

spunkshui posted:

He can be tried at the state level for illegal actions that took place under Arizona law. They can't use his federal conviction as evidence, however.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

FizFashizzle posted:

Maddow is back spitting fire tonight about Niger.

As much as some lefties hate on maddow her show is legit. She doesn't get distracted by stupid poo poo often.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Trabisnikof posted:

Why forbid yourself the feminine anymore?

Even aside from the watering down of mandatory gender rolls, how many 18-24 year olds who aspire to be "completely masculine" think they aren't yet because they don't have a wife, house, two kids, and a career?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm actually surprised that it has any granularity. Not a lot of guys that I know that would cop to anything other than a zero.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Getting pardoned wasn't enough for him. He wanted his conviction overturned/vacated precisely so no one COULD call him "Criminal Joe." The downside to accepting a Presidential pardon is that you all but plead guilty after-the-fact.

And, if I'm reading the follow up right, he could have (maybe) gotten the ruling vacated had he been actively appealing it when pardoned. But instead of appealing he chose to sit back and wait for a pardon he knew was coming and welp...

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah, the county has to pay for that stuff. Immunity is sweet.

Im ok with this. They knew what he was doing.

Bankrupt them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Actually what I'm interested by are the bars they aren't showing, where people's place on the scale is opposite from their identified gender. Subtracting from 100, this includes 8% of men and 6% of women over 65.

But those results in 18-25 year olds are really encouraging.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Actually what I'm interested by are the bars they aren't showing, where people's place on the scale is opposite from their identified gender. Subtracting from 100, this includes 8% of men and 6% of women over 65.

But those results in 18-25 year olds are really encouraging.
That 8% and 6% might also include don't knows and didn't says, it's hard to tell.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder if Donnie thinks pardoning has special rules like he gets 1 per year.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/921189331083124736

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spunkshui posted:

Im ok with this. They knew what he was doing.

Bankrupt them.

Nah I don't think we should bankrupt a county because the Sheriff abused police powers to fake an assassination attempt to win an election, used secretly investigated the mayor and judges, and committed human rights abused in the jail.

Probably should have the feds run their Sheriff department for a while.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah I don't think we should bankrupt a county because the Sheriff abused police powers to fake an assassination attempt to win an election, used secretly investigated the mayor and judges, and committed human rights abused in the jail.

Probably should have the feds run their Sheriff department for a while.

The county kept electing him, even after a lot of shady stuff came to light. gently caress 'em.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The county kept electing him, even after a lot of shady stuff came to light. gently caress 'em.

My friend, I don't think you'll like it when that rule is applied to the namesake of our thread.

Besides the fucker faked an assassination attempt to help win re-election, you can't blame that all on the public when he's committing abuses at that scale.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

THIS

We cant make the racists stop being racists.

But we can gently caress them over for being horrible racists, and that is a start I guess.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/michikokakutani/status/921173095800496128

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/921159561435807744

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Full moon, but no fruit basket

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Good. Now gather up a poo poo ton of people to do it right in front of him

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/921114486706266113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I can only imagine Trump reacted to the "Dont look directly at it, sir" said inside the car the same way he did for the eclipse.

• Locked thread