Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

horizon... zero yawns !! 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

ZDR has IRL stuff AFAIK LOL, WTF right?

idk my bff jill

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't play it actually

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Killed By Death posted:

I let my brother borrow my Vita to play Undertale on and he waited 25 minutes for Toriel to come back, in the room where she leaves you, before asking me if that was actually what you're supposed to do.

Honestly that probably should have triggered a non-standard ending complete with credits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Bandit camps and red zones were the weakest parts of the experience imo
It's cool that their version of climbing a radio tower is climbing a big robot, but why does it need to be there at all, you know?

The basic stuff is good though, I appreciate that machines are enough of a threat to make you stop and think. It seems like a well-done version of that sort of game, I think I'm just tired of all those conventions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I liked the tallnecks. Especially because they blow poo poo up after you hack em.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They might grow on me. Like I said, I'm not giving up on it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Started playing Just Cause 3 last night. Put on subtitles, listened to podcasts and just read the cutscenes. Just want to get back to grappling everywhere, thanks.

Also that EU PS4 sale is surprisingly good! Picked up Divinity 1 and The Old Blood on the cheap (also the RE0 costume packs because why the gently caress not, still haven't played it yet).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/pu9aie.mp4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i was not a fan of that boss

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fau embed this and loop it on the pages. on all of them thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like simon's theme/bloody tears better

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can gently caress it up by just jumping into the teleport? That's awesome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I see Witcher 3 is on sale on PS Plus for like $20.

If I absolutely hated, say, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect am I likely to hate Witcher as well?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I heard this music in the first hour of playing the Super Nintendo and it blew my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk
Like, you can actually identify the instruments that the beeps are supposed to be

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

it is amazing how shoddily constructed circle of the moon was. you could use any magic spell by activating some cards you did have, and during the animation opening up the main menu and picking the cards you want.

similarly, if you cast one of the area of effect spells, and while it was going on, switched to a card combo that massively boosted your intelligence, it would boost the damage of the spell after the fact. lots of stuff like that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it is amazing how shoddily constructed circle of the moon was. you could use any magic spell by activating some cards you did have, and during the animation opening up the main menu and picking the cards you want.

similarly, if you cast one of the area of effect spells, and while it was going on, switched to a card combo that massively boosted your intelligence, it would boost the damage of the spell after the fact. lots of stuff like that.

Only the best from the folks that brought you Castlevania 64.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

i was not a fan of that boss

it's one of the worst last bosses in any game i've ever played and i only just beat it just so i could be done with circle of the moon

Phantasium posted:

it's actually just cause i loaded up a save state i've had after dracula for like a year now and i guess that got hosed up in such a specific way that it broke if i entered the last boss so i had to run back to a save point and do a regular save

oddium posted:

fau embed this and loop it on the pages. on all of them thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0

loop this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dRzjA_Xlc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

They might grow on me. Like I said, I'm not giving up on it.

Rush the story until you get to meridian. Thats the main game. Get purple weapons asap. The weapon system is super dumb about explaining that ammo types are tied to weapon tier and the whole game revolves around having access to tons of ammo types.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

I see Witcher 3 is on sale on PS Plus for like $20.

If I absolutely hated, say, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect am I likely to hate Witcher as well?

Witcher 3 is better than those bad games and is in fact great outside of its sorta janky but not deal breaking combat engine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Only the best from the folks that brought you Castlevania 64.

there was one card combo that gave you a charge attack, right, but for whatever reason they made it so the fully charged attack was your "base attack", and the weaker attacks just divided it by some number. so it set your attack stat through the roof, but if you just tapped attack it would do a weak amount of damage, right?

except, since it modified your base attack, you could just equip the card combo and do poo poo like the slide kick and hit just as hard as if you charged your attack to full. game was weird.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Witcher 3 is nothing at all like either of those games. You will probably like it a lot, my reasoning for that being that most people like it a lot.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

katamari guy

https://twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/880912237619060736

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Witcher 3 is a game I would suggest to anyone to be honest, because it's just that good. Frankly I think the combat is the weakest part but everything else is just SO good. The story stuff kicks rear end, rock trolls kick rear end, Lambert... er well he's a dumb piece of poo poo but hey rock trolls!

Basically almost all the sidequest stuff is worth doing. They actually took the time to give most of them their own little stories and even plenty of those are pretty substantial. This isn't even getting into the two DLCs. Geralt is very much "I'm too old for this poo poo" but the game is pretty self aware of it so it doesn't come off cliche. Also the game is loving gorgeous.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like lambert. although he sounds like he's voiced by seth green, that's kind of bad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh yeah if anyone is playing witcher 3 for the first time and doing the witcher 2 save reconstruction interview thing:

tell them Letho lived

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i started playing zelda 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon didn't grab me that hard until the world opens totally up (when you get to the hub city) which can take someone like 20 hours if they do side stuff, I feel like the only thing wrong with the game is that it doesn't push you hard enough to go there ASAP after you do the warrior trial

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Me calmly when I've gotten a game over: Oh, I've been done in

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never forget the horrifying death rattle of the game over screen from Zelda 2, marking the return of Ganon:

Oh, I've been done in

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cowcaster posted:

i like lambert. although he sounds like he's voiced by seth green, that's kind of bad.

I did not know that! Joker is a really well voiced character too so I guess I'm a fan of his VO work.

Also, Joker fucks a robot. Which is a little weird. But I've been watching Star Trek and Geordi just made out with a computer so I don't think I can judge it too harshly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

have fun getting sent back to the start of the game every time you die

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Ganon:

Oh ho ho ho ho ho!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So HZD is in my top 10 favorite games ever and I think mainlining the main quest is a good strategy and a good experience. I think the Cauldrons and the Vantages are the best light side content. Hunting Grounds are good puzzle/challenge missions. Other than that, yeah, just play the storyline.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kink died trying to take a sword up his rear end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

baby me getting a game over in zelda 2: *unintelligible screaming while running for the power button*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

lets hang out posted:

I've been playing Zelda 1 today. I've never actually played it all the way through and I don't know where everything is.

I'm hand-drawing a map!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tap my mountain posted:

Me calmly when I've gotten a game over: Oh, I've been done in

One of the more magical programming feats CDPR pulled off was making the postdeath loading time in TW3 super short, like really super short.

speaking of which, at what levels should i start which DLCs? i've never played them before and don't want to be challenged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

Lambert is anti-rock trolls so I'm anti Lambert :colbert:

• Locked thread