Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/theshrillest/status/921155814278291456

Anyone know what he's talking about also POP IS NEVER LEAVING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

He'll have to leave the Spurs to be our president in 2020, sorry.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Eltoasto posted:

I want to see these debates so bad

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/theshrillest/status/921155814278291456

Anyone know what he's talking about also POP IS NEVER LEAVING

CP3 has some ESPN special about his time in free agency and at some point he is sitting down talking over his options.

He ranks Houston as 1 because of James Harden
The Spurs he lists as 2 because rumors around the league of Pop leaving, and he feels the team is nothing without pop
Team 3 was Clippers because 5 years 210 Million.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I guess I could see Pop retiring in 2020 after winning a gold medal but it'd still be within the team's championship window of prime Kawhi.

Of course I'd want him to retire from coaching immediately if he was actually going to run for office.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Melo spent 7 years in New York trying to be a viral sensation and he finally gets it wearing a sweatshirt in Oklahoma.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Eltoasto posted:

I would vote for Pop.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Athanatos posted:

CP3 has some ESPN special about his time in free agency and at some point he is sitting down talking over his options.

He ranks Houston as 1 because of James Harden
The Spurs he lists as 2 because rumors around the league of Pop leaving, and he feels the team is nothing without pop
Team 3 was Clippers because 5 years 210 Million.

While Pop is clearly one of the most important (if not the most) aspects of the Spurs, thinking of them as nothing without him is insane. They have Lenny Beans. At worst there are 2 players in the world better than him. Realistically he is the 2nd best player in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all don't want Pop to run because you don't want to find out he knocked up some girl when he was 20 or said a racist thing 30 years ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That would actually increase his chances

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/921165966410682370

please wear that hoodie in the game

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I would vote for Pop.

I'll do you one better: if Pop runs for president I'll drop everything and work for his campaign full time.

He might be the only person on earth I'd say that about.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Lol another game 1 injury to a top player, Beasley is down

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I look forward to Pop retiring before CP3 does

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I'll do you one better: if Pop runs for president I'll drop everything and work for his campaign full time.

He might be the only person on earth I'd say that about.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I guess Melo was right that him being dropped from the Jordan Brand (a rumor that went around a bit last week) was false.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Lol another game 1 injury to a top player, Beasley is down

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/921174993140113411

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Is there some kind of rule in place that would prevent Melo from wearing a hoodie in game? Legitimately curious.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Is there some kind of rule in place that would prevent Melo from wearing a hoodie in game? Legitimately curious.

YOu aren't allowed to visibly wear anything that isn't considered medically necessary under your jersey. I dunno I guess they could say Melo has like, lice or something and allow it then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Melo's prescription hoodie

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Chicago can't hit poo poo or defend poo poo. The only reason this game isn't a 30 point blowout is the raptors have been sloppy as gently caress. Good luck, Bulls.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

YOu aren't allowed to visibly wear anything that isn't considered medically necessary under your jersey. I dunno I guess they could say Melo has like, lice or something and allow it then.

However, "medically necessary" has been stretched to the point where there are some medical t-shirts to prevent dangerous coldness

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I loved JR Smith when he was on the Knicks and thought he was misrepresented everywhere both as a person and a player.

Beasley is all the things people said JR was and it's not good to have that dumb dude on the team.

When JR fucks up you're laughing at friend having a silly lapse, some weeded under overthinking. When Beasley fucks up it's laughing at the mentally infirm, never feels quite right.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 20, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

zoux posted:

Y'all don't want Pop to run because you don't want to find out he knocked up some girl when he was 20 or said a racist thing 30 years ago.

He wouldn't be coaching the spurs then so I'd consider it a win either way

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I loved JR Smith when he was on the Knicks and thought he was misrepresented everywhere both as a person and a player.

Beasley is all the things people said JR was and it's not good to have that dumb dude on the team.

When JR fucks up you're laughing at friend having a silly lapse, some weeded under overthinking. When Beasley fucks up it's laughing at the mentally infirm, never feels quite right.

Related, this was my favorite string of tweets twitter ever gave me. This was when Amare broke his hand punching a fire extinguisher.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

However, "medically necessary" has been stretched to the point where there are some medical t-shirts to prevent dangerous coldness

Melo did play basketball in 1800s longjohns the entire last season.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lockback posted:

Related, this was my favorite string of tweets twitter ever gave me. This was when Amare broke his hand punching a fire extinguisher.

Amare, with redemption on his mind, went home and ran on the underwater treadmill for an hour before recuperating with a nice red wine bath

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lauri had a really nice debut despite playing with dog poo poo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

lol I like that a whole bunch

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Bulls are as bad as advertised. It's nuts.

the new raptors are very cool. CJ looks like the confident perimeter scorer they've needed for a while and OG is already better than Carroll.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

is Melo just a hooded being now? Feel like I haven’t seen him without a hood off the court in months

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
OG is a steallll, had some really nice passes and his three looks good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

OG is a steallll, had some really nice passes and his three looks good.
Playing against the Bulls doesn’t count

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The okc defense is going to be nasty and Russ doesn't have to kill himself for a win. This season is going to be good

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was posting backstory about things that lead to a Lakers-Clippers rivalrly, CP3->Clippers, basketball reasons, Donald Sterling oh look an excuse to post

but I was thinking again about how it was then, news reports Sterling's out.
"Good." said everyone "But why only him? The rest are just as bad."
Bearing in mind that some of the team owners are practically war criminals, there's no way they'd ever permit an owner being forced to sell because of a cycle of bad PR. Really seemed like Sterling got pushed out because he was going senile, the rest of the owners resented him because they figure he's basically devaluing their brand by refusing to run the Clippers competently, and oh they had a buyer with two billion dollars cash lined up immediately for a record sale that made everyone's franchise look way more valuable.

Anyhow Dejan collected the big list of NBA owners and how they got ahold of enough money to buy team, I don't think there's a more complete list anywhere else:

quote:

Celtics- Stephen Pagliuca was part of Bain capital and gutted companies, Wyc is a private equity guy too, you can see an article about what they did to guitar center here http://boingboing.net/2014/04/04/private-equity-an-infection-t.html

Nets- Prokhorov is of course an oligarch but not one of the worst, he just lucked into getting massive nickel mines for negligible cost from the USSR

Knicks- Dolan inherited the awful cablevision, just a fuckup rich kid

Sixers- Josh Harris is a leveraged buyout guy, his partners are other private equity scumbags

Raptors- Larry Tanenbaum made his money through road construction stuff

Bulls - Jerry Reinsdorf made his money by creating real estate tax shelters

Cavaliers- Dan Gilbert was a subprime mortgage guy

Pistons - Tom Gores is another private equity rear end in a top hat

Pacers- Herb Simon made his money through building shopping malls

Bucks - Herb Kohl made his money selling cut price sweatshop clothes to America

Hawks- I don't know

Nuggets-inheriting member of the Walton family (as in Wal-Mart)

Warriors- Lacob has been involved in shady companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, but most of his money is from less odious venture capital, their other owner is the Mandalay bay guy

Clippers- Sterling is a racist slumlord

Lakers- Wholesome basketball only Buss family

Grizzlies -- Robert Pera owns a wireless communications equipment company

Wizards - Ted Leonisis made his money as part of AOL

Heat- Micky Arison inherited his father's cruise line, which he made wildly profitable through the deployment of mercenaries and helicopters to break American merchant marine unions for good. A really horrible motherfucker.

Timberwolves -- Glen Taylor's company is huge and prints tons of stationery and junk mail all over the world

Hornets- Tom Benson was an auto dealer who bought a bank, and then sold his bank to another bank

Thunder- Tom Benson is part of the 2nd largest fracking company in the united states

Magic - Dick DeVos cofounded the massive pyramid scheme called AmWay. That's it. Why is it legal? I don't know.

Suns- Robert Sarver inherited a lot of property development and bank money from his dad, he's founded, bought and sold banks.

Blazers- Paul Allen is a microsoft guy, made his money through antic-ompetetive practices and enclosing the commons of "working in an office"

Kings- Vivek Ranadivé is a wall street technology person, which is actually not as bad as being a private equity person

Spurs- Peter Holt is the chairman of Caterpillar and a notorious union busting piece of poo poo

Rockets -Leslie Alexander was a bond trader and owns a private student loan company

Mavericks- Mark Cuban made his money by selling his video thing

Bobcats- Michael Jordan A crazy spiteful man who made his money more honestly than maybe every other owner but Mark Cuban

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

:words:

quote:

“what do you think is the biggest thing hurting the Clippers?”

“The culture,” Paul said, answering himself. This could be a shot to a number of individual Clips, as Paul was rumored in the past to have beef with [deep breath] Austin Rivers, Doc Rivers, DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, and even Big Baby. But for as much as it seemed like he rubbed teammates the wrong way on the court, pestering refs and demanding the most out of his teammates, what Paul said bothered him most was that no one wanted to hang out off the court.

According to Paul, the rest of the Clippers seemed complacent with the mild success they were having. That’s not very on-par with what someone as competitive as Paul strives for, especially in the twilight of his prime. Was the team even interested in trying to beat the Warriors, he pondered? Off the court, CP3 says he loved L.A. But with basketball, he was “bored.”

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Literally everyone on the team hated Chris Paul

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

loving lol chuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Literally everyone on the team hated Chris Paul

He also for a while had incredible control over who was on the team and did things like publicly advocate getting rid of Bledsoe because he felt threatened by him.

• Locked thread