Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
TJ's trout is excellent, bones or no. It has a clean flavor and a meaty texture. It reminds me of herring a bit, but I like the texture better, even though it has less flavor.

e: my TJ's doesn't stock harissa dines any more, does anyone's? I will pay for a bunch of tins and shipping if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Was at Whole Foods this weekend and they had whole mackeral. I live in Tennessee. Good idea or bad idea to get one?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I gave my HEB the postcard from KO asking them to carry Tapatio dines and they looked at me funny and said, "We carry other KO products but not this particular one." And then they stared blankly at me when I explained that I know that, and I want them to carry more KO products.

:(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I really really want to try the Tapatio ones but my HEB doesn't carry them either.

I love HEB and this feels like such a betrayal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I also want to try KO cod liver but I haven't found it sold anywhere. Where to buy?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
whoever brought up that neonata sauce with fishies and 2 types of peppers or whatever do me a favor and whip up some savory french toast topped with aforementioned sauce and report back on how it turns out becuase that sounds like a winning combo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
also had some hard boiled eggs left over and i was trying something new to dip them in. worcestershire sauce is surprisingly win so maybe some of you would dig it with some fish sauce or something idk

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

whoever brought up that neonata sauce with fishies and 2 types of peppers or whatever do me a favor and whip up some savory french toast topped with aforementioned sauce and report back on how it turns out becuase that sounds like a winning combo.

I mentioned the neonata months ago, and I still want to try it, but it's expensive and I can't bring myself to order it online, unseen and untasted. I'm surrounded by good international grocery stores where I live, but one thing we're missing is an Italian market.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I mentioned the neonata months ago, and I still want to try it, but it's expensive and I can't bring myself to order it online, unseen and untasted. I'm surrounded by good international grocery stores where I live, but one thing we're missing is an Italian market.

yeah its pricy as gently caress and i am broke

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Illegal Hen

MetaJew posted:

I also want to try KO cod liver but I haven't found it sold anywhere. Where to buy?

I found it at my local Russian grocery store. To be honest I haven’t tried it yet as I was going to save it for a Saturday morning breakfast treat.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you go camping without bringing a half dozen tins of various dines, kippers, and smoked oysters, then brother, I don't know how to fix what's wrong with you.

I would love to eat outdoor dines but that's a lot of stinky oily cans I have to pack out. Plus that sounds like an invitation for a curious bear to come sniffing around.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

I would love to eat outdoor dines but that's a lot of stinky oily cans I have to pack out. Plus that sounds like an invitation for a curious bear to come sniffing around.

Yeah, probably not the best for backpacking but for car camping they're alright.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I just toss a few unopened cans on the campfire and sit facing them with my mouth open until I'm not hungry anymore

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally opened one of my cans of Riga sprats, and hot drat, they are the best canned fishies I've ever had. The large cans hold several dozen sprats, literally packed in like sardines. They are packed in oil, and they're smoked, and they're delicious.

I've just been forking them out one by one, and there are far too many for one person to eat in one sitting. They'd probably make a nice smoked fish dip, mashed up with some mayo and/or sour cream. I am incredibly impressed by these.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Illegal Hen
Riga sprats are the bomb. I love packing them in my ruck for overnight hikes & eating them with a hunk of rye bread & some pickled veggies.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Where I get them

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roki B posted:

Where I get them

I got them at an international grocery store (International Food Club in Orlando), but any Russian market SHOULD have them. You can also buy them in bulk on Amazon, which is risky in case you end up not liking them. But if you like brislings and other tiny 'dines, especially with a good strong smoky flavor, you'll probably love them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=riga+sprats

This looks like one of the better deals per ounce, and it has free Prime shipping, but you're on the hook (no pun intended) for 24 cans:
https://www.amazon.com/Latvian-Smoked-Riga-Sprats-Pack/dp/B00DJGEDLY/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1509295426&sr=8-4&keywords=riga+sprats

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Android Apocalypse posted:

Riga sprats are the bomb. I love packing them in my ruck for overnight hikes & eating them with a hunk of rye bread & some pickled veggies.

I like pickles and fish so much together that I'm wondering what pickled fish is like, because conceptually it sounds awesome.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Pickled herring is not bad. Texture is a bit weird, but tastes good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

I like pickles and fish so much together that I'm wondering what pickled fish is like, because conceptually it sounds awesome.

I freakin' LOVE pickled herring. Most supermarkets (at least in Florida) sell the Vita brand of pickled herring in a sweet wine sauce. If you can find it at Costco or Whole Foods, the Blue Hill Bay brand is even better.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

I got them at an international grocery store (International Food Club in Orlando), but any Russian market SHOULD have them. You can also buy them in bulk on Amazon, which is risky in case you end up not liking them. But if you like brislings and other tiny 'dines, especially with a good strong smoky flavor, you'll probably love them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=riga+sprats

This looks like one of the better deals per ounce, and it has free Prime shipping, but you're on the hook (no pun intended) for 24 cans:
https://www.amazon.com/Latvian-Smoked-Riga-Sprats-Pack/dp/B00DJGEDLY/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1509295426&sr=8-4&keywords=riga+sprats

I'll find a red grocer, we got a bunch of rooskies out here.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I could see myself getting into pickling poo poo because I love pickled/vinegary things and also hobbies where I do something and let mother nature do all the hard work and time and eventually I reap the benefits appeals to me. Same with brewing my own hooch which I should get into. I'm not sure I trust myself to not give people botulism though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
pickled herring is so good, but only the kind in vinegar, the kind in yogurt is for villains.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

pickled herring is so good, but only the kind in vinegar, the kind in yogurt is for villains.

Pickled in yoghurt? That sounds weird, does that make it a food for this thread or a nope food?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

crazypeltast52 posted:

Pickled in yoghurt? That sounds weird, does that make it a food for this thread or a nope food?

I'd say it qualifies :) It's slightly sweet, at least the kinds I've had, and has onion mixed in. If you like tartar sauce, it's not such a strange thing.

Also, it's definitely something I learned to eat because of my dad, along with liverwurst, dried/cured meats, stuffed olives, pickled pork hocks, and stinky cheeses. I was kind of shocked though when I brought some KO brislings over to share and he asked, "Do I eat the tails?"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

I have just got to try some. A quick search in Australia showed some ruski deli in queensland sold ones from Latvia. I entered my postcode for a postage quote and it was $22 a tin. Just for laughs I added 30 tins and got a postage quote of $1900.

I had to resort to reddit for my search and found a euro deli in my old neighbourhood called veeos (wanneroo rd balcatta, perth) sells them. gently caress, now I live 15km away and only now just hear of this? Not suprised though because you could get everything in that area which is why I liked living there.

E: Browsing their site I found something. What is this?!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 1, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Rough Lobster posted:

I could see myself getting into pickling poo poo because I love pickled/vinegary things and also hobbies where I do something and let mother nature do all the hard work and time and eventually I reap the benefits appeals to me. Same with brewing my own hooch which I should get into. I'm not sure I trust myself to not give people botulism though

Check out the pickling thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also, I buy Riga Gold smoked sprats at Fresh Thyme markets. If you've got one nearby, they got the 'dines.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Fo3 posted:

E: Browsing their site I found something. What is this?!

It's a dried fish they break apart and chew on while drinking beer. It's a better past time than giving all your country's money to some rear end in a top hat then spending your life defending him online.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Goons help. Doc says to cut back on white gluten and I usual like a good sourdough and sardine open faced half sandwich or some of those Japanese tins with fish and nori flakes. What are good substitutes that aren't just brown rice?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Herr Tog posted:

Goons help. Doc says to cut back on white gluten and I usual like a good sourdough and sardine open faced half sandwich or some of those Japanese tins with fish and nori flakes. What are good substitutes that aren't just brown rice?

I like to eat sardines in endive leaves. Little crunchy scoops.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Herr Tog posted:

Spend less on gluten

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I cut back heavily on carbs earlier this year, to the point where I've lost 25 pounds. I have maintained this weight loss for the last few months, but I've hit a plateau and can't lose any more weight, even with doing cardio (not as often as I need to).

This is going to sound sad, but I eat a ton of sliced cucumbers and use them as a substitute for bread, crackers, and chips -- I make my sandwiches on them and use them for dipping. Needless to say, I pair them with 'dines all the time. I also eat a lot of celery sticks, often with a tiny brisling or sprat in the indentation on each one.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Herr Tog posted:

Rye might work for you! Not sure if it's "white" gluten but it's a delicious alternative to sourdough.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Don't know what white gluten is but I'm a big fan of black and brown breads, pumpernickel or even schickebrot (i probably mangled that, look for german black bread) are super tasty and good with fishies.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hmmm... I have tried black bread and thought it was like eating plywood. Might be worth a try with some fat deenies on top.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I cut back heavily on carbs earlier this year, to the point where I've lost 25 pounds. I have maintained this weight loss for the last few months, but I've hit a plateau and can't lose any more weight, even with doing cardio (not as often as I need to).

This is going to sound sad, but I eat a ton of sliced cucumbers and use them as a substitute for bread, crackers, and chips -- I make my sandwiches on them and use them for dipping. Needless to say, I pair them with 'dines all the time. I also eat a lot of celery sticks, often with a tiny brisling or sprat in the indentation on each one.

Have you tried lifting? I lost about 65 pounds over the course of four months, and I've hit several plateaus. Cardio got me to a certain point, but after that, lifting is the answer. It won't make you lighter, but it'll make you look much better, and more lean mass means a higher BMR, which will help burn more calories just by sitting around.

theres a will theres moe posted:

Hmmm... I have tried black bread and thought it was like eating plywood. Might be worth a try with some fat deenies on top.

Slice it super thin, and make sure to get the good stuff. It goes a long way, so the extra cost doesn't really hurt. Add some punchy flavors, too - I like a really strong German mustard and some thinly sliced red onions on black bread, or sliced pickles.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Have you tried lifting? I lost about 65 pounds over the course of four months, and I've hit several plateaus. Cardio got me to a certain point, but after that, lifting is the answer. It won't make you lighter, but it'll make you look much better, and more lean mass means a higher BMR, which will help burn more calories just by sitting around.

I need to do more lifting. I joined Planet Fitness in February and occasionally mess with the weight machines (no free weights), but I got derailed after two surprising hospitalizations this summer, and I've only been doing cardio on the elliptical ever since.

I've been holding steady between 200 and 204 pounds since June, weighing myself every morning, but I still don't like the way I look. I'm indulging in more carbs on weekends than I was from February through June, which probably isn't helping either, but I pack very healthy work lunches and stay mostly carb-free during the week. Eating 'dines has been a huge help.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i havent had king oscars in forever, all other sardines seem ungainly large and vulgar. i have purchased a tin of "Haddon House" spiced sardines in oil. no doubt they will fall short. bela has an attractive carapace but the fish was nothing special

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sardine thread ~~ do you even lift bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'm in Vietnam right now and you can get tinned 'dines on a Bahn Mi.

I can never go home