Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If we lived in a world where there's a new remake of Symphony of the Night would people get pissed if the game over screen that takes like half a minute or so was removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If we lived in a world where there's a new remake of Symphony of the Night would people get pissed if x

Yes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Symphony of the Night is like the only video game remake that I would want to completely avoid touching the graphics in any way whatsoever. Don't even touch them. Not a single pixel.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, because it was cool as poo poo, and I hardly ever see it to begin with.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Olive! posted:

I've been playing Zelda 1 today. I've never actually played it all the way through and I don't know where everything is.

I'm hand-drawing a map!

hell yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive! posted:

I've been playing Zelda 1 today. I've never actually played it all the way through and I don't know where everything is.

I'm hand-drawing a map!

zelda 2 is insanely frustrating with how obscure it is to progress and constantly sending you back all the way to the first area when you game over but zelda 1 is pretty alright

CJacobs posted:

Symphony of the Night is like the only video game remake that I would want to completely avoid touching the graphics in any way whatsoever. Don't even touch them. Not a single pixel.

a sotn remake, but all that's changed is that it looks like dracula x chronicles with 3d that has not progressed beyond the psp

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my sotn story is that you should never play it on epsxe because when i did the game bugged and let me into the basement without pressing the switch, which meant i didn't have the double jump and i didn't know the double jump was in a different area because i'd never played sotn before and i cleared out the entire underground basement area before realizing i was trapped forever

when i finally regained all that lost progress, i realized i had a library card in my first save that i forgot to use

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I AM ERROR is one of Nintendo history's iconic lines

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

a sotn remake, but all that's changed is that it looks like dracula x chronicles with 3d that has not progressed beyond the psp

Samus Returns gave me nostalgia for that whole era of portable gaming.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I AM ERROR is one of Nintendo history's iconic lines

"i am error" is amazing because he's the product of a mistranslation but not the one anybody actually thought he was

the joke is that there's another guy named bug. but they translated his name as bagu because someone was not good at interpreting jokes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really the joke was on me because as a 4 or 5 year old playing zelda 2 the hilarity of "i am error" was completely lost on me and it made as much sense as the name "link" or "zelda" did

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love Samus Returns I just wish it didn’t make my hands hurt playing on an OG 3DS

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pretty soon all games will be on switch and we can all kiss our split joycons in gaming nirvana

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's like every 3-4 years Ubisoft is on fire before slipping away to ineptitude and embarrassment. Just like your dad at Thanksgiving!

South Park is like what I'd expect from an indie take on the Gold Box games. Like Mario+Rabbids combat is built on small, simple rules that they compound in fun ways over time. I'm still early but on mastermind difficult it's tough enough to use items liberally and think about the implications of my turns (and gently caress Butters with his suicide assholes). It's largely the first game in terms of content and pacing but literally better in every way.

2017 god drat.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I just discovered the fast travel tunnel system in Zelda. Never knew that was a thing.

e: Also, I found the magic sword but I have not mastered using it so I can't have it

Olive! fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im gonna build a pc

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

corn in the bible posted:

im gonna build a pc

Cool, do you have anything in mind?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Scott Forstall posted:

Cool, do you have anything in mind?

i ordered the parts and theyre gonna arrive next week maybe

its not a very expensive build but it should be able to run games at more than 240p, so it'll be the best computer i've ever owned

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Now who will post screenshots of modern games at ps2-level quality :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hello i am here

i won't buy sports or aaa games though probably sorry

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've never played a zachtronics game before

this game makes me feel insanely smart and insanely stupid at the same time, i love it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

That's how it starts. Then it reaches the point where it just makes you feel stupid :(

Or at least it does for me. Props to anyone who's managed to finish a Zachtronics game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bomber Crew looks fun but I don't want to play it and get attached to my bomber boys and then they die horribly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is the new game in the same vein as SpaceChem?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

i ordered the parts and theyre gonna arrive next week maybe

its not a very expensive build but it should be able to run games at more than 240p, so it'll be the best computer i've ever owned

baller, if u live in a place with cheap electricity i hope u mine a bitcoin and make a lot of money before it crashes

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Olive! posted:

I'm hand-drawing a map!

I love hand drawing maps in games. I did a few rudimentary ones for Owlboy which I just beat, but that game has a pretty simple and linear layout for the most part.

One of the things that turned me off in Samus Returns was how good the map was. No getting lost, no not knowing where an item is, just going from minimap marker to minimap marker to beat the game. To me this is the single biggest separation between Samus Returns and Super Metroid. With Samus Returns I never felt like I was figuring out where to go or what to do. The game plays itself in terms of exploration. But I still had a lot of fun with it.

Anyways, for awhile now I've wanted to do a hand drawn map run of the original loz which I've never beaten either. You may just inspire me..

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not impressed by Horizon: Zero Dawn. Okay, bye.

I've been dragging my heels getting through this game for several months. everyone raves about what a religious experience it is but other than the graphics, it is doing absolutely nothing for me. I'm pretty much only playing it when I want to look at pretty graphics for awhile. Something's missing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is the new game in the same vein as SpaceChem?
its a remake of one of zach's early flash games, codex of alchemical engineering. spacechem was pretty similar though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you ever play any Legacy board games? I've been looking at a few recently (Pandemic Legacy, Gloomhaven) and the idea is pretty cool. Legacy board games are board games that sort of evolve as you play them, changing the rules and adding new pieces and subtracting old pieces as you go through the various games, generally all based around the choices you and your group make. This leads to a game that is unique among your own group, a game where the events of the previous game carry over with all of the positives and negatives that that could entail.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you ever play any Legacy board games? I've been looking at a few recently (Pandemic Legacy, Gloomhaven) and the idea is pretty cool. Legacy board games are board games that sort of evolve as you play them, changing the rules and adding new pieces and subtracting old pieces as you go through the various games, generally all based around the choices you and your group make. This leads to a game that is unique among your own group, a game where the events of the previous game carry over with all of the positives and negatives that that could entail.

I'd really like to play those but now that I got my masters done I also moved away from the group I played with so I never get to play board games anymore.

At least I can still play tabletop rpgs on roll20.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is anyone going to the Portland Retro Games Expo?!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not anymore, no

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

primo bubsy3d.com cosplay

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got to 100 shrines all memories and a big chunk of quests in BOTW and figured it’s a good time to put the game to a rest for a while.

I already saw the ending but I went and did the true ending

This is one of the best games I have ever played

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Windwaker is better

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I adore Horizon Zero Dawn. I was utterly blindsided by it. I had no idea what it was (as I am pretty bad about reading about games that have yet to be released) and took a chance. It is a top five of all time game for me.

I utterly love the fact that some people do not like it. I am massively intrigued why and it then causes me to day dream about the differences in people and how experiences shape what we do and do not like. It is an interesting topic to me! :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He loves that you hate. He is video games

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

i started playing zelda 2
I love this game, more so than a lot of the more modern games. The combat feels great! Like it legitimately plays well and the dungeons themselves are a lot of fun to explore. Some of the clues are a bit obtuse, but at this point in my life all of the major beats are burned into my brain.

Also make sure you save every 1-up in the game for your run to the Great Palace, if this is your first time through it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm actually really torn because my opinion on P5 zigzags so much. It has these moments that wow me but then I have to think back like "wait yeah the overall experience wasn't as cool". It'd be really hard if someone actually told me to give a score to the game.

Real excited for Switch SMT and the P-Studio fantasy RPG project now though. More so than before having played the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I adore Horizon Zero Dawn. I was utterly blindsided by it. I had no idea what it was (as I am pretty bad about reading about games that have yet to be released) and took a chance. It is a top five of all time game for me.

I utterly love the fact that some people do not like it. I am massively intrigued why and it then causes me to day dream about the differences in people and how experiences shape what we do and do not like. It is an interesting topic to me! :D
Have you played a lot of similar games?

• Locked thread