Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

nickmeister posted:

Does anyone know why TGO lives in Ireland? Seems strange for someone who's so into vikings and poo poo to move away from his home country.

It might have something to do with his day job. Or because he felt stifled by the anti-discriminatory zeitgeist in cosmopolitan areas in Sweden, though I don't know how much more socially conservative Ireland is. I've heard it's culturally more traditionalist in religious matters in many regions, though of course that might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Maybe Ireland has more sweeping green vistas for him to flex in front of?

Honestly I don't think I've ever taken much time to look at pictures of Sweden

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

zxqv8 posted:

Maybe Ireland has more sweeping green vistas for him to flex in front of?

Ireland's sweeping green vistas are really rugged and handsome, though I've mostly been on the west coast where it's hilly, damp and moody a lot of the time.

I think it would be easier for him to find green & sweeping yet rugged & handsome vistas by just driving a car for an hour or so out of any major settlement in Sweden though.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I think he just mistook Ireland for Iceland because he's not very bright.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I've said it before but it's weird, there's something to The Golden One that makes me feel sorry for them almost more than anything, they feel like a dorky rear end LARP'er who could've been a fun person had they not fell down the nazi hole and become what they are. Really that's anyone who gets suckered into the ~alt-right~ poo poo though, a bunch of people who for whatever misguided reasons, bought into propaganda being sold by fuckin hucksters like Spencer and their ilk. I'd like to believe eventually people like this could be deprogrammed like you do with any horrible cult, but until then I keep feeling split, where on one hand they're poo poo and I hate them for letting themselves ever be duped by the nu-nazis in the first place and the other where I wish they could be helped and further people dissuaded from ever going the same way.

Swedish Richard Spencer (this guy) and The Golden One are literally gym buddies so I'm not so sure that was ever in the cards.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Swedish Richard Spencer (this guy) and The Golden One are literally gym buddies so I'm not so sure that was ever in the cards.

What is it with fascists and big sweeping shots of loads of flying flags

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nickmeister posted:

Does anyone know why TGO lives in Ireland? Seems strange for someone who's so into vikings and poo poo to move away from his home country.

He was dating an Irish woman for a while, but she dumped him. I don’t know if that has anything to do with why he moved there.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
TGO just seems like a dork, the type who fetishizes pastoral lifestyle, although calling him a dork might lessens the danger of the poo poo is pandering to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

As with many of the pejoratives that the alt-right likes throwing around but themselves are guilty of this is a literal case of virtue signaling.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

nickmeister posted:

There was a 'study' doing the rounds a few years ago that somehow redheads are genetically blonder-than-blonde people, he probably wants to make aryan babies with strong genes.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Somfin posted:

Ironically, virtue signalling.

MiddleOne posted:

As with many of the pejoratives that the alt-right likes throwing around but themselves are guilty of this is a literal case of virtue signaling.

Woops, should have kept reading.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80NOxaVJf4

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

You need to give us some kind of description or something if you want us to watch your vlog.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ugh an old friend of mine went to New York this week and he posted a picture meeting Sargon somewhere.

We don't really speak that much anymore. I just needed to share this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I'll watch it, because I know what y'all are asking.

How can this guy hate a warmonger president and also love the Romans, whose history is almost entirely war?

Answer: Because the warmonger president criticised daddy Trump without criticising Obama (who is not currently in office).

The approval rating polls are wrong now but were right under Bush, but even if they're right now, uh shut up.

Also Bush II wrecked the world, not Cheney, and 9/11 was an inside job organised by Bush I.

Apparently leftists were accusing Bush of being a Russian plant but have since erased the posts because of Obama.

And anything that isn't Bush's fault is FDR's fault and Obama didn't fix anything.

Bush is so evil that he is not allowed to disagree with Trump, and the leftists shouldn't be agreeing with him when he says Trump.

And finally, throw in a mention of Hillary Clinton also being evil, because why the gently caress not.

Basically this guy's the sort of idiot who thinks that the President is royalty and nothing they do has any context. Exactly the kind of idiot whose brain is now breaking trying to fit Trump, who he still unquestioningly supports, into that childish understanding of the world.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is it just me, or do the alt-right/Neo Nazi-types really love using the term "millennial" in names and things? It seems especially popular among "alt-lite" types who pretend not to be Nazis.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

nickmeister posted:

Is it just me, or do the alt-right/Neo Nazi-types really love using the term "millennial" in names and things?

Almost like a thousand years has some kind of significance to them for some reason. Almost.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Good article from the Baffler:

New Atheism’s Idiot Heirs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

I haven't read it, but The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould usually comes up in that context.

one of the best books i've ever read. the bizarre thing is it came out thirteen years before the bell curve and completely debunks it.

anyone watch this destiny debate? this guy might be dumber than nobullshit which is a feat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQN1_1Jv4LQ

this guy won;'t accept voter id and the related laws are racist despite the supreme court declining to hear an appeal of a lower court's ruling that nc's laws were racist. like these people cannot grasp that a law can look colorblind as written but was intended to be racist since the outcomes are so obvious.

i don't get how destiny does it because i'd just keep calling the guy a moron over and over after the second time he couldn't grasp this very simple concept.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 20, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nickmeister posted:

Is it just me, or do the alt-right/Neo Nazi-types really love using the term "millennial" in names and things? It seems especially popular among "alt-lite" types who pretend not to be Nazis.

There's most often only two types of use for "millennial" when it's being said unironically, either it's olds whining about THE YOUNGINS being responsible for some new thing failing or it's shitheels trying to use it like "These essjew snowflake nu male MILLENNIALS amirite" despite most of them also being in that age range. So a lot of the time it's pretty much just a dogwhistle for being sadmad that young people are getting so much more liberal.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 21, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Does anyone know the source of the clip ContraPoints used of the the TERF describing how men becoming more effemente led to the fall of the roman empire?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

BigRed0427 posted:

Does anyone know the source of the clip ContraPoints used of the the TERF describing how men becoming more effemente led to the fall of the roman empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y3-KIesYRE

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

THank you...oh gods it's over an hour long, gently caress me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Good article from the Baffler:

New Atheism’s Idiot Heirs

Holy crap. As an atheist who saw it all happen in real time, this hurts. It's a sharp, honest analysis of how entitled internet shitlords outgrew the faint humanism they shared when they saw themselves as isolated smarter-than-thou loners and became proud, turbo-assholes. I don't know why I dodged that bullet, but I'm so glad I did.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Alex Nichols from that baffler article owns and is a pro-tier twitter follow imo https://twitter.com/lowenaffchen

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

I hurt myself on the edgy username

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sephyr posted:

Holy crap. As an atheist who saw it all happen in real time, this hurts. It's a sharp, honest analysis of how entitled internet shitlords outgrew the faint humanism they shared when they saw themselves as isolated smarter-than-thou loners and became proud, turbo-assholes. I don't know why I dodged that bullet, but I'm so glad I did.

It honestly really confused me when it happened, too. I mean, all I did to arrive at the same conclusions to religion was my ideas re. feminism being good as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BigRed0427 posted:

THank you...oh gods it's over an hour long, gently caress me.
I'm not watching an hour of that, but why on earth would a radical feminist be against men being effeminate?

I can understand why they might end up a TERF, even if I disagree with the conclusions that comes to, but I can't understand how they can end up at "violent manly men are necessary for preservation of state and family", because that's the complete antithesis of radical feminism.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Thesis statement: old Hollywood portrayed men realistically. New Hollywood doesn't because of liberal PC bullshit.

Source: my butt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVNmx8hSIE

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Thesis statement: old Hollywood portrayed men realistically. New Hollywood doesn't because of liberal PC bullshit.

Source: my butt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVNmx8hSIE

Is there a technical term for these kind of things were they compare [current things] negatively to [old things], while not taking into account that they are exposed to basically all the [current things] but naturally only got exposed to the [old things] that were above-average and/or survived? Because I'm pretty sure even during the 70s there were a lot of summer blockbusters, light comedies and other mainstream movies that are just as forgettable as whatever bad comic or toy movie puts asses in seats nowadays.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Randler posted:

Is there a technical term for these kind of things were they compare [current things] negatively to [old things], while not taking into account that they are exposed to basically all the [current things] but naturally only got exposed to the [old things] that were above-average and/or survived? Because I'm pretty sure even during the 70s there were a lot of summer blockbusters, light comedies and other mainstream movies that are just as forgettable as whatever bad comic or toy movie puts asses in seats nowadays.

Partially selection effect or survivor bias, I guess? It’s really just poor scholarship from the video-maker, but good luck getting a chud to say or listen to anything in good faith.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah, it's just survivor bias. Old houses seem like they were all well-built, because the ones that weren't well-built didn't last.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

noether posted:

Idk how anyone in retail handles that poo poo. I'd be ready to murder someone if I had to listen to the same eight awful songs all day everyday

I learned the HPLHS versions and sing those loud enough to drown out the radio.

Also Christmas starts at the same time as halloween.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit. I wanna write a thing for trans girls who have JUST realized they are trans. Basically a guide on how not to panic over the revelation and what to expect and what steps they could take to, for example, minor things they can do to alievieate gender dysphoria. A big one of them is “Get the gently caress off 4chan!”

This exchange is giving me context for a friend-of-friend transgirl I've been getting asked about by our common link for a while.

She has the weirdest loving political ideas and I think she might be getting it from 4chan. She's ancap rather than nazi (currently...) but also seems to get her sense of bodily aesthetic from dickgirl hentai...

Which I mean, is in itself fine if it's what you like but that's what makes me think she's getting her politics from there as well.

I guess I figured given how much of a shithole the place is that transpeople wouldn't want to hang out there but there you go.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 21, 2017

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Yardbomb posted:

There's most often only two types of use for "millennial" when it's being said unironically, either it's olds whining about THE YOUNGINS being responsible for some new thing failing or it's shitheels trying to use it like "These essjew snowflake nu male MILLENNIALS amirite" despite most of them also being in that age range. So a lot of the time it's pretty much just a dogwhistle for being sadmad that young people are getting so much more liberal.

It also plays into the whole "I took the red pill" self-aggrandizing nature of the alt-right movement - they view themselves as badass counter-culture straight-shooting intellectuals, standing head and shoulders above the basement-dwelling, feelings-having, restaurant-ruining masses of Pajama Boys of the millennial generation. To them, "millennial" is legitimately a slur - but they're One of the Good Ones so it doesn't apply to them individually.

Unfortunately, that worldview is a pretty easy avenue for radicalization, too - if you truly believe that the rest of your generation is degenerate and "devolved", all it takes is someone saying "Y'know, at least the Germans stood up and fought for their traditions!" and you're already kind of on board.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

I learned the HPLHS versions and sing those loud enough to drown out the radio.

Also Christmas starts at the same time as halloween.

I bet you are the type who puts his deccies up in November.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Richard Spencer had a speech and another nazi got punched. I think you have to elbow them in the face to keep them down and follow up with a couple of kicks to the groin. Wonder if some rationals are going to have a hot take on this whole thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/richard-spencer-university-of-florida-speech#nazi-punch

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Midig posted:

Richard Spencer had a speech and another nazi got punched. I think you have to elbow them in the face to keep them down and follow up with a couple of kicks to the groin. Wonder if Sargon is going to have a hot take on this whole thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/richard-spencer-university-of-florida-speech#nazi-punch

Cool political violence is nice and good against ideological opponents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You keep saying that sarcastically and it keeps being actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

"So much for the tolerant left," I chuckle, as I watch the Reichstag catch fire

• Locked thread