Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

When will the first tractor protest happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

When will the first tractor protest happen?

nat voters dont own tractors

they own the land that people who own tractors are near-slave labour for

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

nat voters dont own tractors

they own the land that people who own tractors are near-slave labour for
lol as if they don't own the tractors and rent them out to their staff

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean yeah nah, national got the most votes though

However more people voted against than for

So

This was another thing that got under Winston's skin as he kept having to explain that this is MMP not FPTP to the idiots in the media. loving Journalist are as useless as a Facebook feed and the resulting comment section. This question will change Winston's mind! *Asks vapid question*.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Our local rag posted a "this is undemocratic, National got a majority" in their newspaper. Got by the author and the editor that majority isn't a thing that National had...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Here's Jeremy Wells' Like Mike thing for the lazy:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1597934286935926&id=236597716402930

It's funny

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I liked the cows not making milk line

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/RossFlahive/status/921168857712099328

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is loving grand:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11935046

"Federated Farmers backtrack as fast as they loving can and ask Labour to ignore all the bullshit they said about them in the run-up to the election 'cause it may just come back to bite them in the rear end".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

This is loving grand:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11935046

"Federated Farmers backtrack as fast as they loving can and ask Labour to ignore all the bullshit they said about them in the run-up to the election 'cause it may just come back to bite them in the rear end".

Yes and no, there was poo poo slung at farmers by a few Labour MPs too.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

Yes and no, there was poo poo slung at farmers by a few Labour MPs too.

Yeah, they pulled it out of the rivers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Varkk posted:

:chanpop:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Varkk posted:

:golfclap:

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Apparently I'm friends with a whole bunch of billionaires and didn't know it.

They way people are talking on Facebook about having all their money taken and given to the poor it's like they have all forgotten we have had Labour governments before...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Another one is that it's all the money from hard-working kiwis is going to those who "choose not to work for a living"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Thank you so much. I have shared this on Bookface, with the disclaimer that I blatantly stole it from some dude in this thread.

Same here and it has already been "Stolen" again. Please feel good that you have made someone's day.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

Another one is that it's all the money from hard-working kiwis is going to those who "choose not to work for a living"

I had a big argument on a friend of mine's comment after he said exactly this.

I'd share it but it's long, and you all know exactly what they said already.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Are there any actual numbers on "bludgers" because the way some people talk they are everywhere and I have yet to meet one. And I meet a lot of people.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I heard from this guy who heard about this guy who turned down a job to stay on the dole. So obviously everyone on the dole is like that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you walk down Queen Street and associated side streets you can see them every day choosing to live from a bag on the sidewalk. Some of them even bus in from their state houses in Mangere in the morning to beg for more money because they're such layabouts!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

One thing I really don't understand is why everyone seems to think that any money that beneficiaries get immediately disappears into a black hole.
It's not like they're stashing their checks in the Cayman islands or anything. Like, is it really a hard thing to grasp that beneficiaries tend to, you know, actually spend their benefit money and therefore circulate it through the economy?
Aside from economic stimulus, there's also other fringe benefits too, like for example not having people stave to death in the streets.

Like, seriously, what do people actually think happens to all this money that these 'useless dole bludgers' get?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's just emotionally charged resentment deliberately fomented by National/the rich in order to split the lower classes. None of it stands up to scrutiny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NZPol: What are you doing for Labour Weekend

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

People also significantly overestimate how much money you get as a beneficiary, don't consider the stand-down period which if you're living week-to-week on New Zealand's rockstar falling wages will financially cripple you to the point where most of your benefit will end up paying the debts you accrued while waiting for it, don't understand how emotionally draining it is to be treated as a criminal every single week by the mandatory check-ins - literally designed to hound you off of the benefit -just because you lost your job and want to keep your home, and thought that hey, maybe we should pass a law that allows employers to just fire people after three months for no reason at all and somehow that will reduce the number of people on the benefit as they play musical loving jobs with each other.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
On a lighter note, I happened to watch tv tonight and channel switched past Mike Hosking's face. The man still looks like that one dude in Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom) who had his heart ripped out right in front of him.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Are there any actual numbers on "bludgers" because the way some people talk they are everywhere and I have yet to meet one. And I meet a lot of people.

There's the homeless down Queen St, but 10-12 of them to a city of 2 mil is a pretty okay ratio.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Homeless doesn't always = bludging though

I know of more people getting their benefits taken by gangs than bludgers out to rip of hard working Bruce and Jane but I guess I move in different circles

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The whole idea of the "serial dole bludger" is (to no one's surprise) complete crap as well. I don't have the study on hand, but the vast majority of people on benefits were on them for no more than something like 1.5 years at most, and then never went back on a benefit again. Exceptions were almost all sickness benefits and the like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Homeless doesn't always = bludging though
WarpedNaba is clearly being satirical, because most of the central city's homeless group around Hobson Street and the shanty town shelters on Mayoral Drive.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I want to get off it. :( I went back on the benefit a few months ago after blowing most of my savings keeping afloat while job seeking for most of 2017, and only getting a month of contract work in June. Since the last time I was on it in 2014, the local WINZ building has locked its doors and requires you to have your ID recorded by security guards before you're let in. To top things off, I waited a month for an appointment, and only got two minutes of time with a human staff member - the rest was spent filling out a questionnaire on a PC kiosk.

The dole is a miserable loving experience that has only gotten more dehumanising, and people talking poo poo about people on it doesn't help in the slightest.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/election/2017/10/leak-greens-ministerial-roles-revealed.html Honestly most excited about the minister for women portfolio.

Also I feel you, Anticheese. Whenever there's a national- led government they get really into degrading and humiliating people on benefits. It's gross and it does nothing to help make people's situations more tenable.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 20, 2017

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Anticheese posted:

I want to get off it. :( I went back on the benefit a few months ago after blowing most of my savings keeping afloat while job seeking for most of 2017, and only getting a month of contract work in June. Since the last time I was on it in 2014, the local WINZ building has locked its doors and requires you to have your ID recorded by security guards before you're let in. To top things off, I waited a month for an appointment, and only got two minutes of time with a human staff member - the rest was spent filling out a questionnaire on a PC kiosk.

The dole is a miserable loving experience that has only gotten more dehumanising, and people talking poo poo about people on it doesn't help in the slightest.

My favorite experience was being told how depression and anxiety aren't real when I had only been out of hospital for a couple of months.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Taitale posted:

My favorite experience was being told how depression and anxiety aren't real when I had only been out of hospital for a couple of months.

Honestly I think my very ever favourite, after being on the benefit twice in my life, once when I had horrendous depression and got my benefit docked to $80 a week for months, was actually the time when I'd been on it for two weeks after completing a PhD and I had to go sit with a dude for an hour while he haranged me about my bad choices and asked me repeatedly what other people from my "course" were doing.

Like that was the time I actually had my poo poo together, as opposed to the time I was drat near dead, and it still wasn't enough.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 20, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Taitale posted:

I recently picked my sister up from an appointment. She was in tears after how, even with a medical certificate, WINZ has been hounding her for meetings every fortnight without any real purpose.

Here's to the new government making WINZ marginally less lovely. :smithicide:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I applied for the benefit ages I had returned to nz six months prior and I was broke and didn't have a job.

I got told to take a job as a winz case manager

I left without a benefit. I got a slightly less demeaning job - my former job.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

I made this in celebration

This has popped up in a bunch of different places on my Facebook now, congrats

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I stole shared it too, and got my first ever angry face response. Cheers

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
3 Pasifika ministers, two of them in Cabinet. That must be a first?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Funny how national voters are not slow to get the dole as soon as they lose their job, which is stealing according to them??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bobbilljim posted:

Funny how national voters are not slow to get the dole as soon as they lose their job, which is stealing according to them??

We should avoid this sort of anecdotal poo poo-flinging if we want to be any better than the beneficiary-bashers imo

• Locked thread