Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a two-color shirt, it just so happens one of the two colors is extremely similar to the color the artist uses to shade Allison's skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But it's clearly layered?

The gently caress is she wearing

What 20 something wears two shirts, including a long sleeved thing, around the house

...also why does her top shirt keep jutting upwards away from her body like she's wearing padding

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's more obvious in panel 2 that's she's wearing a peach undershirt, and once you see that you can understand what's going on in panel 4. The real problem is Ostertag's decision to have her wearing an undershirt that's exactly the same color as the overshirt, making it look like the inside.

The real-er problem is that Mulligan decided to write an incredibly boring and useless page, making the mostly inconsequential art mistakes the only thing worth talking about. Seriously, this page is anti-entertainment. It exists as an impediment to intrigue or fun.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe she's wearing football shoulder pads in case a game spontaneously breaks out.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Maybe she is instructed to by clevin

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

the menacing tower of menace

someone help, there's parts of this that seem actually mildly clever and interesting, and the last comic had something resembling a humorous joke in it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is highly symbolic.

The tower is a penis, imo. So is everything else. People think about dicks a lot.

Or so I've heard, I don't know.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Patrick's feminine side is literally fighting against his evil masculinity which lives in a penis tower.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Penis is evil. Clevin is really smooth down there, as he is a good boy.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hmm. It's been so long I wasn't sure, but... I don't hate this page.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is a masterwork tower. It is made of Freud and Jung. It menaces with spikes of symbolism and penis.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
So I am not seeing a downside to like destroying this city. Seems like a personal hell of TMI.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a much more interesting page than usual but it says really bluntly that yes, Patrick actually does have wiring to interpret emotional responses in others without relying on his telepathy - but then gives no hint to why he's so off-putting

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a much more interesting page than usual but it says really bluntly that yes, Patrick actually does have wiring to interpret emotional responses in others without relying on his telepathy - but then gives no hint to why he's so off-putting

The writer. He's off-putting because of the writer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean I know that but something something death of the author

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i might have been interested in patrick as a character if this had all been hinted at from the beginning tbh, but he's never been written as "something exponentially larger than a human mind", he's just been an awkward stilted dumbass like every other character except for the hallowed clevin of divine softness

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Patrick has is multiple personalities and the Menace graffitii is a different him(?) stirring up his old followers. What a pathetically bland twist.

I still hold out hope that this is just Patrick trying to manipulate Allison by feeding her a dumb enough narrative for why he's not a Bad guy mass murderer that she just forgets about the threat to turn him in. But it won't be. It's all going to be played straight.

All Clevin. All Clevin forever.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Clevin will save her. You will do so in the most dumb way that I can think of. He is going to burst into the room and yell at Patrick distracting him while Allison defeats the evil Patrick. Even though the evil Patrick seems intent on clearing his mind which is a good thing. In fact I'm all for the villain in this piece so far so if this is a telegraphed turn a face, it would only be interesting in that the writer actually made a female character wrong or evil.

I simply think he doesn't have the guts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh poo poo, you're right, Clevin's perfect nonthreatening love is going to be all Deus ex machina in Patrick's mindscape because Patrick read him and instantly hived off a full copy of him, and his sick burn in the real world will be narratively inverted or some lame poo poo

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 21, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's going to be a knight in glistening slightly sweaty smooth pink armor

And he's going to SING

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hopefully, the page is trying to show Patrick as being completely full of him/herself. Yeah, sure, their mind is vastly larger than a single, normal mind, but anyone can come up with elaborate metaphors for how the inner workings of their thoughts work. There have been several animated movies and TV show episodes made about this very topic. Anyone can have a weird castle in their brain, it's not special. Clevin's subconscious is probably way more deadly than Patrick's is. You'd just get smothered to death in radioactive fluff.

If fact, even though Clevin is very boring, he's the most interesting thing about this comic. Any page without either him or somebody talking about him is unreadable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Brought To You By posted:

So does she want characters that are static in the environment with nothing interesting behind them? Does she think that interesting composition and paneling, as well as putting characters in more than a blank void detracts from the quality of a story?

I follow artists that do the equivalent of chicken scratches for character designs but they have a strong grasp with technical elements to make their works greater than the sum of their artistic abilities.

It's true though that sometimes you don't NEED backgrounds, like for quick dialog or whatever, and it's understandable for a webcomic where you gotta produce stuff quickly and regularly. Also fading the background can add emphasis to the foreground.

But also Molly is lazy. She is a lazy comics lady

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i like how the villain persona is named menace

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

alcharagia posted:

i like how the villain persona is named menace

clearly we're about to see how evil ace men are

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

KaosMachina posted:

clearly we're about to see how evil ace men are

:bravo:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

look out here comes my transpatrick lol

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So all of Patrick we've seen pre-clevining was just a bad Patrick mind who was literally crazy and everything he's said before can be dismissed as senseless raving, except the conspiracy which is still being taken at face value. Good thing we now have a good Patrick (represented by a woman naturally) now who can fix things and become a grateful ally to Allison. Also throwing the mug now was a good act and not just an impulsive act of violence.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eh, I don't know... the new character is being drawn with crazy eyes. That's usually artist shorthand for 'Going to betray the protagonist eventually'. Plus she's promising Alison everything she wants.

Seems like this is going to be one of those 'Whoops, you helped the wrong one!' kind of deals.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 24, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bobulus posted:

Eh, I don't know... the new character is being drawn with crazy eyes. That's usually artist shorthand for 'Going to betray the protagonist eventually'. Plus she's promising Alison everything she wants.

Seems like this is going to be one of those 'Whoops, you helped the wrong one!' kind of deals.

Do you think the artist is even aware of that concept/short hand

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bobulus posted:

like I said two and a half weeks back:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

calling it: this is actually secretly Evil Patrick and the other one we will be introduced to later is secretly Good Patrick

(lol no this won't happen because lady can't be evil)
In fairness we hadn't seen Darth Vader Ripoff Menace yet, just his Giant Penis Tower

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Post the comic if your gonna go to the page anyway :argh:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Zerilan posted:

Good thing we now have a good Patrick (represented by a woman naturally) now who can fix things and become a grateful ally to Allison.

now I'm thinking it's a copy of Allison's mind in Patrick's head

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

"Before we team up, let me make one thing absolutely clear: I don't care about whether you live or die. In fact, I will destroy you in an instant if it suits my purposes. Your goals mean less than nothing to me, and are indeed a hindrance to my own. Your existence is guaranteed for exactly as long as you are useful to me." - Alison

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

pospysyl posted:

"Before we team up, let me make one thing absolutely clear: I don't care about whether you live or die. In fact, I will destroy you in an instant if it suits my purposes. Your goals mean less than nothing to me, and are indeed a hindrance to my own. Your existence is guaranteed for exactly as long as you are useful to me." - Alison

What a (morally, ethically) strong female protagonist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Look, this place is falling apart!

*some cracks in the wall*

Wow, what a great way to show a city that is slowly dying. I'm glad we don't have any elaborate backgrounds to flesh out this idea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What are the metaphorical implications of that? Are personas going to go every which way without buildings to keep them contained? Does he just need to mind-meld a few more architects?

Also I feel like it is psychologically unhealthy to try to pull a coup in someone's brain.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
haha poo poo imagine if the rest of sfp alison's like this

as reimagined by the inimitable mr mulligan

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm going to call him mister mulligan in my head from now on because it makes him sound like a malicious leprechaun

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
man i don't know if they would allow a revolutionary idea of allison making a mistake at all that can't be blamed on others. You might as well not have clevin on the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Axe-man posted:

man i don't know if they would allow a revolutionary idea of allison making a mistake at all that can't be blamed on others. You might as well not have clevin on the show!

She'll kill all of the patricks and when she comes out Clevin will be back. He will have made more spaghetti.

• Locked thread