Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hack off some boosters off a Space Marine flyer and add them to dorf botte.

Mount botte on the highest possible flight stand.

I really only don't like the bubble floaters. Even their pose is bad, but that's the same with new not-assault marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's fantasy. None of it has to make sense.

That's what I was trying to say, like my earlier who give's a gently caress post about splitting factions, unless it's at tournament level then I kind of see the anger. I really didn't like AoS when it came out, mainly due to cost, stupid names and no points values. 2 of the 3 have been fixed(ish)and the third is remedied with calling an Elf an Elf, and I've yet to ever say 'Orruk'.

JcDent posted:

Hack off some boosters off a Space Marine flyer and add them to dorf botte.

Mount botte on the highest possible flight stand.

I really only don't like the bubble floaters. Even their pose is bad, but that's the same with new not-assault marines.

I'm not a huge fan of the giant bubbles either, they should've kept some of the old Dwarf tech and gone with propellers or something (I also don't like the Marine's with the metal Ugg Boots).

Clockwork Steampunk Dwarves would've been cool. I'm thinking top hats, steam valves on backpacks, pipes, and maybe a large metal dwarf golem with a key in its back.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, if they had gone more specifically clockwork...

But then again there's already a 3rd party company making clockwork dorfs, can't give them business, bgads!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I played the Gates of Antares Fantasy Adaptation with Rick Priestley at the weekend, here's the playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjI8OEJrkE

I've done a youtube poll to back up my opinion that Warlord should develop it as a product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=use7ddDtmJE

I'm really interested in playing this.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

JcDent posted:

there's already a 3rd party company making clockwork dorfs

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Also, I just nailed down why I don't like infantry bubble flyers: they don't look fast or mobile. I see an endrinrigger and all I can think of is some dwarf flailing helplessly underneath a baloon that's lazily floating away from the action.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Also, I just nailed down why I don't like infantry bubble flyers: they don't look fast or mobile. I see an endrinrigger and all I can think of is some dwarf flailing helplessly underneath a baloon that's lazily floating away from the action.

yeah, I think that's kinda the point, especially with dwarfs. That's what I find most appealing about them - it's absurd.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

They're 12" fliers going by the rules, but the models are anything but.

Bubbles would only make sense as some deep striking, area denial gobbos with random movement. Just drop them and block charges all day.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Thundercloud posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I played the Gates of Antares Fantasy Adaptation with Rick Priestley at the weekend, here's the playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjI8OEJrkE

I've done a youtube poll to back up my opinion that Warlord should develop it as a product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=use7ddDtmJE

I'm really interested in playing this.

I'll watch dis later, very cool

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Magic doesn't have to make sense. A setting very much has to make sense though. I don't need to know the logistics of why Gandalf's sword glows when goblins are near. I just need to see that it does so consistently. If you ask, "Why?" the answer is, "Magic, duh," but the world itself feels believe and real. It's clearly something that has been developed with thought and care. If I hopped into that world, my brain could immediately latch onto the surroundings and make sense of everything it was encountering.

You can't just dismiss criticism of looks and aesthetic or background fluff with, "It's fantasy, get over it." When the subject in question is incomprehensible or visually contradictory, there's a fundamental problem. If Age of Sigmar was more Lovecraftian and set within the Realm of Chaos itself, then I guess I'd be fine with whatever insanity the studio could put out. But that's not the case. Ostensibly, these dwarves have regular day to day lives and there's some kind of internal logic to the workings of their magic metal balloons.

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's fantasy. None of it has to make sense. Example:

How the hell would that thing stay afloat? majicks.

I am so glad I had forgotten Warhammer existed during this period. Seriously it seems like everything that came out after 6th edition is a giant dumpster fire.

Chariots don't make any sense in the Warhammer world to begin with outside of a Khemri army, which is an army thousands of years old come back to fight in the "modern" world. But at least when you look at a chariot, you get how it operates and what it's purpose is. I love my elf chariot models even though they're seriously anachronistic. What the hell is the battlefield role of that deathtrap? What was wrong with people riding on the backs of eagles like cavalry? Again, that immediately visually makes sense. This? I just can't figure out why someone would think this was a good idea.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Posting an even worse miniature is not a great counterpoint to a claim that something looks bad. I'm not sure why so many things in the AoS range have issues with lines of action, balance, etc when others are fine. Is it a particular sculptor or something?

Balloons that hang wrong, that absolutely awful bird chariot, the sigmarine archer that is looking straight at its own shoulderpad while supposedly sighting down an arrow, the multiple miniatures with wind blowing hair/purity seals/fire in different directions at once. SQUARE ASSES. It's such a mess.

The overly busy aesthetic that can only make sense if the sculptors are paid by surface area has hit new 40k hard but the weird physics issues remain concentrated in AoS kits.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Speaking personally, the "overly busy" criticism rarely makes any sense. There are very few models where I wonder "why do they have all this miscellaneous poo poo on them?". The only time I honestly feel that way are horde units with too much detail. I never feel like characters are "too busy". Sometimes they look stupid, but I rarely chalk that up to busy-ness.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah no surprises 'too detailed/busy' went from being a useful criticism (when it's loving up a model's silhouette or detracting from the features that matter) to being stock phrase #1134 for nerd slapfights about taste.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That bird chariot is cool 😠

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

mango sentinel posted:

Yes. It is.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Saint Drogo posted:

Yeah no surprises 'too detailed/busy' went from being a useful criticism (when it's loving up a model's silhouette or detracting from the features that matter) to being stock phrase #1134 for nerd slapfights about taste.

Perhaps if a criticism is being levelled more often, the thing being criticised is happening more often. Makes you think. :thunk:

I mean, I'm not a wordologist or anything.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Nah man I think nerds are just loving retarded. :c00l:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Models being busy is fake news. Sad. Very misleading. Bad for gaming community!!! Maybe revoke posting.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tbf the new lord of change is probably the last aos model I really thought suffered from detail cruft because it's such a simple concept and the old goofy one managed to have some actual attitude despite being about 1/3 the size and much plainer.

Kharadrons I guess but it works for the aeronautical/pirate fucks to be festooned with gear.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

I completely agree. I want one just to paint. But the first time I saw it my friend and I couldn't stop laughing over how funny it would be watching that thing slam into the ground and rocks while the passengers desperately try to hang on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Great, now I am all pro eagle riding elf cavalry. Who cares if it makes sense, it's cool and high elves don't care anyways.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
GW, please make an entire army based on sky chariots pulled by birds, tia

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

A city mounted on the back of a giant space bird

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

Well hey, make them all Swifthawk Agents and you can right now :v:

(Plz bring back Welf Warhawk Riders GW. Seeing them in the miniatures hall at Warham World alongside all those cool Lord/Lady sculpts and the Sisters of Twilight made me hurt).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

A city mounted on the back of a giant space bird

But the bird is flightless and it angers the inhabitants, hence the reason the Byrd Realm is always at war. :AOS:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Honestly, if there was a Cosmic Emu bounding through the realms of chaos with a precariously balanced Diskworld wobbling on its back as it runs, I would be far more down with the setting.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Stfu I would immediately buy warriors mounted on flightless birds.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Wrong thread.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 20, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Atlantis makes this sweet goblin

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That is sweet. Atlantis added to favorites. I will but that one dude, just for funsies.

E: they've got some lovely dwarves that my wife will totally be into painting. Thanks Mike.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 20, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DiHK posted:

That is sweet. Atlantis added to favorites. I will but that one dude, just for funsies.

E: they've got some lovely dwarves that my wife will totally be into painting. Thanks Mike.

They make amazing minis but it's weird sometimes they don't cast for months

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

muggins posted:

I'm glad Murducken's been getting work after the Zoofights.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Elves on flightless birds, you say?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

muggins posted:

Those are the most svole goblins and the most social justice (AND cavalry) oriented dwarves I have seen.

Seriously, pig mounts, ram mounts, sarbertooth mounts, bear mounts...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I got the Stormcast battletome because I am a man of bad decisions, and the way the lore is written is weird. It's like Games Workshop assumed that someone who bought the book somehow wouldn't be sold on playing an army of ten-foot-tall golden supermen powered by lightning and stars. Every bit of the lore is desperately trying to sell you on how cool the Stormcast are and how awesome it is when they fight, which comes across as incredibly flat. By contrast, what little I've read of the Ironjawz and the Skydorfs seems way more into details of how they're organized and their cultural stuff (like the gag of orcs being able to count past ten being a myth nobody believes). It's weird.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Whoever writes Sigmarine books is the Matt Ward of Sigmarines. The fluff is so boring.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Deleter posted:

I got the Stormcast battletome because I am a man of bad decisions, and the way the lore is written is weird. It's like Games Workshop assumed that someone who bought the book somehow wouldn't be sold on playing an army of ten-foot-tall golden supermen powered by lightning and stars. Every bit of the lore is desperately trying to sell you on how cool the Stormcast are and how awesome it is when they fight, which comes across as incredibly flat. By contrast, what little I've read of the Ironjawz and the Skydorfs seems way more into details of how they're organized and their cultural stuff (like the gag of orcs being able to count past ten being a myth nobody believes). It's weird.

My favourite part of the fluff so far is that the Ironjawz have pulled down a massive statue of Archaeon on three seperate occasions.

"There can be no mistaking the handiwork of the Ironjawz. One of their most famous acts of vandalism was the defacement of the monolithic statue of Archaon which stood over the Manticore Realmgate that leads to the Allpoints. Three times have different Ironjaw warclans brought it down. The first time, the Everchosen’s helm was recarved into the grinning face of Gork, so Archaon sent a legion to guard over its repair. The second time, the head was taken off entirely and replaced with a huge wooden grot head. Incensed, Archaon ordered the expansion of the Manticore Dreadhold. The third time, the Ironjawz brought down the walls and raised a crude idol to Gork over the fallen statue of Archaon. Now, a new Lord of Chaos commands the rebuilt Manticore Dreadhold, peering into the wastes as orruk drums rumble in the distance."

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
That's just teabagging with statues.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Makes me want to start a destro skirmish team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That bird elf chariot would look cool if it didn’t look like the bird was keeping the chariot from floating away. It isn’t being pulled up, it’s being pulled down which looks really weird.

• Locked thread