Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You are actually a terrible person if you support barstool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

It's ESPN2 as gently caress; it's good.

First ep drew 88,000 viewers which isn't bad for 1AM on ESPN2.

edit: I didn't post this in response to MV's post; I promise I didn't see it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like all Gizmodo(formerly Gawker) news/web sites, they have good writers and they have bad writers.

Deadspin has a couple of reporter rear end reporters who do good pieces and Gizmodo in general do some drat good journalism from their special projects desk, And Kotaku has like 3 or 4 writers who put out good/fun writing about games. Gizmodo/io9 has Evan Narcisse who is the goods. VSB is also fun(though I followed that before Gizmodo bought them, rip their old amazing comment sections).

Mostly, like with almost all content nowadays follow writers and not websites.

And if websites have to do a bunch of easy farm content, to fund their big, longform and interesting pieces then so be it(shout out to Buzzfeed news who have been putting in work recently)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Giri Nathan is the best writer on Deadspin and has massively increased my interest in tennis

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Papi got Katie.

Again.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

iospace posted:

Papi got Katie.

Again.

Still a rookie.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imagine not loving Papi

also Katie Nolan is a force of nature, ESPN basically got her and managed to offload Skip and Whitlock which is great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vin Scully will not be on any world series broadcasts

Vin posted:

“I honestly don’t feel I belong there and I would not want anyone to think I was eager for a spotlight.”

Joe Buck posted:

I swear on my late father, to have Vin come do some of the series with us and in my place would be an honor. If someone can hypnotize him and make him say ‘yes,’ I will drive and pick him up myself. He knows I feel this way, as does Fox and he continues to say no, unfortunately.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

For once I agree with Joe Buck, I would love to not have him call the World Series.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It is kinda annoying how the OMG GET VIN people don't seem to understand that he doesn't want to

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

It is kinda annoying how the OMG GET VIN people don't seem to understand that he doesn't want to

Yeah if Vin really wanted to call baseball games he'd be doing it, it's not like he got fired or forced out.

Mahoning posted:

For once I agree with Joe Buck, I would love to not have him call the World Series.

Buck is fine, and way better than anyone else who has called games in the postseason. Throw the entire TBS broadcast team into the sea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah this is the biggest thing. Vin's as selfless as they come and knows every broadcast would instantly become about him instead of the Dodgers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

Buck is fine, and way better than anyone else who has called games in the postseason. Throw the entire TBS broadcast team into the sea.

You can shut your mouth about Brian Anderson t:mad:t

I'm firmly in the "Joe Buck isn't bad" camp, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

No he's not, but you're right about the rest. Unfortunately there aren't many national-level baseball broadcasters who are worth a drat.

I'd take Jon Miller in a split second though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Buck used to be lovely but he's gotten way better and I think he's settled into to being perfectly fine. Getting McCarver out of the booth helped a lot. I think a lot of the hate now is as much people being used to hating Joe Buck as it is his actual call.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Buck used to be lovely but he's gotten way better and I think he's settled into to being perfectly fine. Getting McCarver out of the booth helped a lot. I think a lot of the hate now is as much people being used to hating Joe Buck as it is his actual call.

It's this. Buck is a ton better without Aikman or Carver.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of my regulars at work has gone on record HATING Buck in the booth, but when he sits down for a 1 on 1 interview he's amazing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

when buck was more active on twitter he outright acknowledged all the complaints leveled towards him for the usual reasons

i think he said after the hair plugs episode he got a lot more looser

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Buck is fine as long as he isn't calling a Cowboys game with Aikman.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/922548379175063552

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This is pretty knee jerk.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Cowards

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Who could have seen this coming

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it's really dumb to associate yourselves with Barstool at all, and I have no idea why ESPN did it to begin with, but I figured since it started, it would've at least gone on until they got embroiled in some kind of controversy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Who could have seen this coming

yeah, but after only 6 days

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/922549917490565120
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/922549767447695360

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

good, gently caress Barstool

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao

Like dog, They should have just thrown money at PFT and Big Cat to buy them out of their contracts(if they have contracts with Barstooll)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Spoeank posted:

I thought you were calling PFTCommenter an edgy shitlord at first

Given the Barstool meltdown last week and the overall Barstoolness of it all, what's the O/U on episodes for this? 5.5?

Ayyyy hope you took the under

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kalli posted:

I mean it's really dumb to associate yourselves with Barstool at all, and I have no idea why ESPN did it to begin with, but I figured since it started, it would've at least gone on until they got embroiled in some kind of controversy.

yea this is hilariously the worst way to do it either way. Everyone on the 'gently caress Barstool' side already was annoyed, suddenly pulling the plug now just pisses those dipshits off too and everyone already mad at them is just all 'yea but why would you bring them on at all'.

Also seriously how could ESPN not just buy Big Cat and PFT, I really can't believe they have that huge of brand loyalty to Barstool.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We're at the part of the Dave Portnoy story where he flies too close to the sun, now only to wait for the part where Barstool falls into the sea and dies.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

lmao

Like dog, They should have just thrown money at PFT and Big Cat to buy them out of their contracts(if they have contracts with Barstooll)

They're picky with paying people, especially if they're only project was a once a week ESPN2 show at 1 am.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/JulieDiCaro/status/922552301541261313

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1: Me and Buck are in the same boat where we know Vin won't do anything with the World Series because he doesn't want to take away from the game, and yet we'd give our left nut just to have Vin come in and sit in the booth and work an inning or just tell stories or anything. That's all that is, one more/last chance to hear the greatest ever. You can understand and respect the reasoning and still wish it was the other way.

2: ESPN put themselves into a no-win position and proceeded to take the L as hard as humanly possible. They never should have done the show in the first place, but once they committed to it they should have ran for about a month or so before coming up with a way to weasel out. Instead they do it half-assed and piss off both the Twitter progressive crowd and the Barstool/MAGA crowd, everyone's angry at everyone and no one's happy.

Now there's demonstrable proof that the Barstool brand is holding back PMT and those guys are gonna have to make the decision I talked about a while ago, where either you remain loyal to the brand and limit yourself and the opportunities you get because Barstool is so toxic, or you try and break free and run into legal hurdles along with pissing off Barstool's MAGA supporters. If they were hoping to use ESPN as a springboard, it's a no-go and I'm curious to see their next move.

I'm also wondering if any heat's going onto SVP, considering he's been a big advocate/supporter of PMT/Barstool and you'd have to imagine he had a role in the show being created. I like SVP but he may have stepped into it here.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm now wondering how many women within the company gave hell about this. ESPN has a history with misogyny already and then you bring Barstool in. Yeesh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

and piss off both the Twitter progressive crowd and the Barstool/MAGA crowd, everyone's angry at everyone and no one's happy.

gee, darn

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Why I'm Joining The Athletic, by Barstool Van Talk

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Who is pissed off, everyone I know who hates Barstool thinks this is funny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

lmao

Or just tell them that they couldn't have a show with barstool in the goddamn name so you can at least pretend to have some distance. You are the biggest company in all of sports, they need you a lot more than you need a few more YouTube views or whatever.