Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
sequelize sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I use Eclipse for 6502 assembly what am I

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

jony neuemonic posted:

also: i posted that and the project i was working on in vs immediately broke in some weird way. :tinfoil:

update: c++ projects don't have the "copy to output directory" option for resources because ???

hand-editing it into the project file is apparently fine though. thanks vs.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

what is the Linux equivalent of visual studio code for when I need to futz with a C++ file and don’t want to do it in emacs

Comedy option: Visual Studio over SSH :v:

jony neuemonic posted:

i don't think it's going to include debugging for licencing reasons. could be wrong, though.

also: i posted that and the project i was working on in vs immediately broke in some weird way. :tinfoil:

The debugging info format is semi public (they won't sue you, but lol if you want good docs) and WinDbg is definitely driveable from other programs, so there is no reason not to have debugging.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

startup time and overall performativeness in large file (hundreds of MB or more) territory.

loving electron

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

John Big Booty posted:

Every Wednesday night, I like to light a couple of scented candles and some soothing music. Gently, slowly, I open the lid of my laptop.

The terminal is already open and ready. Waiting for the touch of my fingers. I pause, letting the anticipation build. Tonight, baby, we're going to do it right. Like it was the first time ever.

I clone the repository. Oh, you like that? I unzip my pants and pull out my stiffening dilz. Yeah. Resolve those deltas, you filthy whore.

Time to get down to business. I run configure. As it checks header files, I slowly move a cocktail stirrer in and out of my peehole.I have to stop. Make this last. Some candle wax on my balls ought to do the trick.

Make takes longer than usual. I slow the pace. I think about baseball. No good. It would have dribbled out slowly, as it usually does, but one of curdles was larger than usual and built up some pressure behind it. That shift key is probably never going to work again.

By the time make finishes, I'm ready for Round Two. I sudo. I make install.

code:
vim www/public/wp-content/plugins/bitcoin-ticker.php
It's magic time.

i read all of this

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
but visual studio code's icon

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Wheany posted:

i read all of this

whoops

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i like the new visual studio code icon more than the old one

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

abigserve posted:

hey dude you sound like me about a month ago before I switched to pycharm. here's a spicey hot take: VIM is a top tier text editor but absolute hot garbage for writing code in. When you make the move you think you're going to be losing efficiency because you don't have macros and all the other cool VIM stuff at your fingertips but that is immediately blown out of the water by all the time saved debugging syntax errors, trying to find functions, trying to remember what argument functions provide, dropping back to shell to do version control stuff, etc. etc. etc.

hey mate

ive tried installing pycharm and other IDEs a couple of times but it doesnt really work for me. im lucky enough to know my codebase pretty well so finding functions isn't hard, i have plugins that complain about syntax errors and also linting, and i seem to be one of the few people in the POS that actually likes the git cli

so works4me i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

sorry shaggar 2.0 but the only thing worse than someone insisting everyone use vim (which i'm not doing) is someone who insists that there's no legitimate reason to use it

when would you ever use vim other than "I'm stuck on a bad os that only has vim and wont let me install a working text editor"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

i used to use ed as my EDITOR for commits but eventually decided the occasional line transposition and/or checked-in 1,3d was a little too embarrassing

ed is the standard editor

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Modal editing is ergonomics editing, etc. Don't care if it's in Vim or elsewhere, but modes do wonder to keep my wrists from splitting in pain. If you've got tendonitis of some form, then you may want to give modal editing a try. VSCode's vim mode is pretty decent and you get to keep using the non-terrible autocomplete in there as well.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

man, ed sucks for compressing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNYpmLH6IjQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

hey mate

ive tried installing pycharm and other IDEs a couple of times but it doesnt really work for me. im lucky enough to know my codebase pretty well so finding functions isn't hard, i have plugins that complain about syntax errors and also linting, and i seem to be one of the few people in the POS that actually likes the git cli

so works4me i guess

that's extremely odd, but so are your deodorant choices

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

what is the Linux equivalent of visual studio code for when I need to futz with a C++ file and don’t want to do it in emacs

visual studio code works fine on Linux

I was surprised that Microsoft of all people managed to make something good and fast out of that electron shitpile

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
“vim works great as long as you install all these extensions that make it a lovely ide”

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
my favorite vim thing is where I forget what mode I’m in and type something in without looking at the screen and then it just does a bunch of random commands

usually nothing very destructive, fortunately

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rjmccall posted:

i used to use ed as my EDITOR for commits but eventually decided the occasional line transposition and/or checked-in 1,3d was a little too embarrassing

works4me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wheany posted:

i read all of this
Now why would you do something like that smh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wow, me too!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

could be worse. the only one that's really super wrong is "forked"

i'm the "reposotory"

no wait, i'm the difference between the ":" in the first line and the "--" in the second two lines

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i got assigned a change request on an old project i didn't even know exited
it's going hard in the EntityFramework and i have no idea what's going on in this code

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Arcsech posted:

could be worse. the only one that's really super wrong is "forked"

i'm the "reposotory"

no wait, i'm the difference between the ":" in the first line and the "--" in the second two lines

i'm the ceo who's pecking out an email on his iphone demanding to be consulted for personal approval on all of these "pull requests"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i like the new visual studio code icon more than the old one

wow

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i'm the e-note

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i'm the github valuation

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
im the space after only the second --

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm the apostrophe/speech mark mixture

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Chalks posted:

I'm the apostrophe/speech mark mixture

you are my biggest pet peeve and one of the reasons i can't stand javascript

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
speech marks are for strings and apostrophes are for chars. this isn't difficult, otherwise how do you tell the difference between a char and a string of length 1?

in b4 "there is no difference'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

speech marks are for strings and apostrophes are for chars. this isn't difficult, otherwise how do you tell the difference between a char and a string of length 1?

in b4 "there is no difference'

but there is no difference

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

but there is no difference
i think the string is supposed to have a null terminator at the end?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i think the string is supposed to have a null terminator at the end?

the hell if i know, im in this thread by birthright :v:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the hell if i know, im in this thread by birthright :v:

in python there genuinely isn't and you can happily do 'c'.charAt(0).charAt(0).charAt(0) because charAt returns a string of length 1.

in any non-plang a string is a sequence of chars. even if that sequence has length 1, one is a sequence (and has all the sequence methods defined) and one is not.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

HoboMan posted:

you are my biggest pet peeve and one of the reasons i can't stand javascript

With typescript you get to use `backticks` as well :D

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Chalks posted:

With typescript you get to use `backticks` as well :D

thats a js thing, not typescript

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

necrotic posted:

thats a js thing, not typescript

ES2015 and all the rest of it all blurs together in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
now throw jsx in and you've got object literals that look like comparison operators

• Locked thread