Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Has Saunders fought anybody at all since getting the belt? I've literally heard nothing about him since I started watching fights again a couple years back. Hopefully Lemieux can take it off him --- a guy who actually fights on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

hexwren posted:

Has Saunders fought anybody at all since getting the belt? I've literally heard nothing about him since I started watching fights again a couple years back. Hopefully Lemieux can take it off him --- a guy who actually fights on the regular.

Pretty sure he won a tedious decision recently

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

hexwren posted:

He won the belt in December of 15 from Andy Lee and since then has fought twice. Looked like complete dogshit against Arthur Akavov about a year later then decisioned Willie Monroe Jr the day of Canelo/GGG. The main highlight was the day before at the weigh in when Saunders' jerk kid punched Monroe in the dick.

I, like most, want Lemeiux to brutalize him (mainly because then there's a path for the belts to be unified) but i worry Lemeiux is limited enough that Saunders has the skill to grind out a decision.

Edit: happens at 3:45. Also because the headline "Saunders’ son punches Monroe in the balls during weigh-in" is cool and good.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/9/15/16314394/saunders-son-punches-monroe-in-the-balls-during-weigh-in#comments

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Saunders beat Eubank Jr, Andy Lee, some guy and Monroe Jr in a run that's been pretty decent but set back by injuries and weird promotional problems. He was getting strung along by Canelo and GGG last year as part of back up plan or negotiation piece for their fight for the last year, but he's still a world level middleweight and will be a tough match for Lemieux who's been found out at the world level before.

I might go to this fight if it happens in Montreal as is rumoured. Lemieux is a favourite fighter of mine and seeing him win another title would be cool.

EDIT:

https://gfycat.com/DeficientHighlevelAracari

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 19, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Saunders beat Eubank Jr, Andy Lee, some guy and Monroe Jr in a run that's been pretty decent but set back by injuries and weird promotional problems. He was getting strung along by Canelo and GGG last year as part of back up plan or negotiation piece for their fight for the last year, but he's still a world level middleweight and will be a tough match for Lemieux who's been found out at the world level before.

I might go to this fight if it happens in Montreal as is rumoured. Lemieux is a favourite fighter of mine and seeing him win another title would be cool.

EDIT:

https://gfycat.com/DeficientHighlevelAracari

Not trying to call you out cause i got nothing but love for regs in this thread but that's what kind of bothers me about some of the first take analysis. True he was dominated by-arguably the best p4p fighter at his peak-but it's hard to see how that applies to a fat waster who hasn't shown much skill in years.

Edit: I mean if we agree there are levels in boxing then it's hard to see how much of GGG-Lemeiux applies too Lemieux-Saunders

Vvv no doubt but I feel like the Rubio stoppage and Alcine loss were against basically a completely different fighter. Basically this feels-to borrow a term from baseball sabremetrics-a two true outcome fight. Either Saunders keeps the one dimensional Lemeiux at bay for 12 rounds to win a decision or Lemeiux touches an out of shape Saunders early and puts him on the highlight reel within 6.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 19, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GGG was not the first man to beat Lemieux

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I'm obviously being harsh on Lemieux, who I love dearly. He's improved a lot since his first losses and Saunders has arguably gotten worse over the last year, but I just find it a little weird that people are acting like Saunders getting KOed is a foregone conclusion. It's true that Saunders is not as good as GGG, but I don't have reason to believe Lemieux is that much better than Eubank or Lee. Saunders is a good boxer and Lemmy has been troubled by boxing before.

I like this fight precisely because it's a pretty even match up imo, assuming they both make weight and show up in their best forms.

I think Saunders would be the betting favourite though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh Jesus Christ I'm an idiot. I've been confused all along wondering why David Lemieux was going all the way down to middleweight.

Apparently seeing Montreal just made my brain insert Jean Pascal as who was being talked about regardless of the actual name. And I even know and like Lemieux as a fighter.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Saunders, if nothing else, is a pretty capable boxer with decent movement. He can cause Lemieux problems.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
eubank jr would have beaten saunders if eubank sr hadn't been so conservative with his tactics until the match was already lost on points

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Lemieux has the weirdest boxer's body out there right now

He looks like someone out of the 1890s

It's like he eats 4 pizzas after weigh in and then has a little pot belly

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 20, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ElGroucho posted:

Lemieux has the weirdest boxer's body out there right now

He looks like someone out of the 1890s

It's like he eats 4 pizzas poutines after weigh in and then has a little pot belly

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I always thought Andy Lee looked and fought like a guy in an etching from Victorian England

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Saw an article on BadLeftHook about Mayweather hinting at yet another comeback. I've always taken Floyd's "retirement" with a grain of salt, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him return, but regardless of whether he sticks to retirement or not, just be mentally prepared to see more articles like this for the next ten years or so.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Saw an article on BadLeftHook about Mayweather hinting at yet another comeback. I've always taken Floyd's "retirement" with a grain of salt, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him return, but regardless of whether he sticks to retirement or not, just be mentally prepared to see more articles like this for the next ten years or so.

Floyd is almost 41 and looked absolutely terrible against McGregor. Unless he's training for a rematch with McGregor, I can't imagine he comes back. Any of the top guys at 147 or 154 beats him at this point in his career, and none of them have a big enough name to really warrant Floyd coming back for them.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean I'm obviously being harsh on Lemieux, who I love dearly. He's improved a lot since his first losses and Saunders has arguably gotten worse over the last year, but I just find it a little weird that people are acting like Saunders getting KOed is a foregone conclusion. It's true that Saunders is not as good as GGG, but I don't have reason to believe Lemieux is that much better than Eubank or Lee. Saunders is a good boxer and Lemmy has been troubled by boxing before.

I like this fight precisely because it's a pretty even match up imo, assuming they both make weight and show up in their best forms.

I think Saunders would be the betting favourite though.

I love Lemieux but he's a perfectly one dimensional fighter. Saunders isn't great but he does a lot of things well and he's technically superior to Lemieux, who's losses to Joachim Alcine and Marco Rubio show that he's not and never will be a truly elite guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Saunders to win a boring decision here.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ggg purposely lost rounds to canelo to get floyd out of retirement. it all makes sense now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One fun thing about Saunders-Lemieux will be seeing both fighters gas out after 6 rounds.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

thehappyprince posted:

ggg purposely lost rounds to canelo to get floyd out of retirement. it all makes sense now

Hahah I want to believe

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

One fun thing about Saunders-Lemieux will be seeing both fighters gas out after 6 rounds.

It's almost certainly going to be a lovely fight unless Lemieux sparks him.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Tonight’s HBO card is off to a good start. I’m glad they showed the Burnett/Zhakiyanov fight out of Northern Ireland. Both of them are tough as nails.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Ricky Hatton's found a weird niche in training random Eastern Europeans for fights against favoured boxers in their hometowns

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gassiev just flattened a dude in the WBSS, the semis for cruiserweight are now Gassiev-Dorticos and Usyk-Briedis

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
This cruiserweight tournament is going to be brutal in the latter stages

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
"Andre Ward, you are boring and possibly gay" - Max kellerman

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Of course I choose to flip to the Clippers game and miss a stoppage

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

wow

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

"Andre Ward, you are boring and possibly gay" - Max kellerman

gonna need context on this

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

gonna need context on this

Obviously I'm misquoting but Max began the 12th round of Andrade-Fox by saying Andre seems to get salty when he or Lampley say a fighter is being boring and that he needs to accept that fans expect a certain level of entertainment from boxing.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I can't be the only one who thinks Kellerman is a total charlatan right? I don't get how you can be in the position of a highly regarded analyst when you've never boxed or trained anyone yourself.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Monday Bandele posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks Kellerman is a total charlatan right? I don't get how you can be in the position of a highly regarded analyst when you've never boxed or trained anyone yourself.

Al Bernstein is a print journalist by trade and probably the best analyst in TV

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Al Bernstein is a print journalist by trade and probably the best analyst in TV

Not that he was particularly good but Larry Merchant was just a journalist too wasn't he? Seems like there's been a color guy like that in the booth for the last 30 years on major broadcasts, and then a current/past boxer or trainer in addition to that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That’s a ridiculous position. Especially in defense of the level of excitement generated by Andre Ward.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Monday Bandele posted:

What do you mean? Max Kellerman has a long and storied history of boxing fandom and knowledge to draw upon

https://streamable.com/hq6ev

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Personally I think way too many announcing jobs are given to guys who aren't particularly good at announcing, distilling the storylines down, or making clear points, simply because they've been boxers themselves. Max has his flaws, but he's my favourite analysts in Boxing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are many subjects about which it is possible to speak well without having first-hand experience.

If forced to choose between the two, I'd rather listen to an announcer who has been trained as an announcer and watched 5,000 fights and researched the sport but never trained as a fighter than a guy who has been punched in the head a whole bunch but never trained as an announcer. That the audience primarily does not speak or understand boxer jargon makes a non-boxer probably a better choice too. Of course the ideal is someone who is trained as an announcer who trains for fun and watches fights obsessively, which is why Joe Rogan has so much staying power with the UFC, despite his flaws.

The reason all of those HBO and Showtime guys are annoying is all of the cross-promotion poo poo. Their employer has a vested interest in which fighter wins.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
I have an HBO subscription, but if it’s available, I will always watch a lower quality Box Nation stream. My favorite commentator is Steve Bunce. I wish he could get a stateside gig, but Americans would probably complain about not being able to understand him. I think Kellerman’s commentary is decent, but his interview skills are sorely lacking. A good post-fight interview is important and he often asks lame and sometimes dumb questions. Of course there are exceptions, but I am rarely surprised by a Kellerman interview.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I think boxing is such a gruelling sport that having first hand experience of what the participants are going through is invaluable. I do like Bernstein though I know him mostly as.a commentator.

Obviously many ex pros are terrible and are incapable of analytical thought, like Carl Froch and his 10-10 rounds. But I'll always value the opinion of a guy like Manny Steward over Merchant and Kellerman.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think having a good mix is important. That's why I like the HBO team. Jones's experience is helpful in ways that Kellerman's analysis isn't, and Lederman (for all his flaws) offers good insight on what a judge sees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gassiev just flattened a dude in the WBSS, the semis for cruiserweight are now Gassiev-Dorticos and Usyk-Briedis

Great semi finals. Gassiev/Dorticos especially is a true pick 'em. Usyk should get a decent test from Briedis but he should ultimately win a UD.

Also, Max Kellerman is great.