Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Use save states if you like who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

Dark Souls, Zelda 2, there's practically no difference

Both have overpowered plunging attacks :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

also save states are literally built in to every version of Zelda 2 that a modern person would conceivably play so I don't really know how much you can consider it "cheating" in the first place

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nachos posted:

Horizon is the best version of open world checklist games like far cry, assassins creed, etc. Those games are extremely popular so it only makes sense that the best iteration of it is an amazing game. If you’re burnt out on the formula though it’s not adding anything new to the mix. I blasted through HZD’s story and really enjoyed the experience but I had no desire to spend any more time with the game. I can see why it’s one of the top 5 games of the year though even if it wouldn’t make my personal list.

There are a lot of games you can point to that do things better in isolation than Horizon, but very few that do as many things as well, and almost none with the same amount of polish. It's also refreshing in our current age to just pay $60 and get a game that delivers on solid combination of graphics, story and gameplay that is fully functional upon release and maintains consistent quality throughout. It's what the so-called "AAA" experience should strive for, being a good game with mass appeal that is beautiful to look at.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got that twinge in my knee again and that means that someone somewhere is playing a game wrong

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

I just got that twinge in my knee again and that means that someone somewhere is playing a game wrong

I think I might start a charity that helps troubled gamers learn how to play Monster Hunter correctly

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

food court bailiff posted:

some people have NEVER played zelda 2 and asking them to bang their heads against it and waste time because the save system dumps them back to the beginning every time rather than using save states, out of some misguided pride in being able to push buttons the best or whatever, is really dumb

Did I not just explain to you why save states might encourage people not to try different strategies? Where are you coming up with this poo poo from about pride in pushing buttons the best? Why bother replying if you're just going to assume things I'm not remotely talking about. It is fun to have to think in games. Save states mean you don't need to think.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Use save states if you like who cares

It’s been this all along

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do whatever the gently caress you like in a singleplayer game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I might start a charity that helps troubled gamers learn how to play Monster Hunter correctly

Maybe then I'd actually like them.

They sound like fun but every time I've tried the 3DS demos, my stupid hands couldn't handle the controls all that well and I felt like the camera was too zoomed in to let me see what the heck I was doing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

noted intellectual pursuit: pondering old NES carts

it's just not the same if it doesn't arbitrarily send you back to the beginning to punish minor mistakes

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

it's just not the same if it doesn't arbitrarily send you back to the beginning to punish minor mistakes

Oh my god dude.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Can you please chill?

I'm not mad at you, I'm not disappointed in you, I'm not anything negative at you, but I feel like you've made your point and you're not doing yourself any favors by posting like this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just posted a book that was literally about this, so yes it is :)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

People that like save states get so defensive and always act like you're the crazy obsessed one for suggesting it might be more fun to play without them. :)

I like limited lives and continues because it makes things more tense and makes you concentrate more about not wanting to screw up so yeah, I don't think it's the same.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played Adventure Island last year on an actual NES. It's a game where the ability to continue infinitely is a powerup you have to grab at the end of the first level, and where the difficulty curve is absolutely hosed and has no password or saves. For the first time in more than a decade I left the system on because I didn't want to start over. It's probably the hardest NES game I've ever played and beaten.

Use save states whenever you want.

I agree that there are certain skills you won't get better at just starting wherever you want, and that there can be fun in re-running certain stages to the point where you have an absurd mastery over them because you keep getting sent back too far, but some people don't have fun with doing that, and since save states have become an industry standard, there's no point in them having to do that if they don't want.

I mean I loved the crap out of Mega Man and Castlevania on the NES but I don't think I ever actually beat any of them outside of maybe MM2 back in the day because they were too hard for my dumb kid self.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

some guy on the bus posted:

Zelda 2 is fun. There's that difference.

You have to learn fire magic from the town elder in order to conjure up a hot take like this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haveblue posted:

i too can tell when someone uses shotguns in nuclear throne

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'll say it again, use save states so you don't have to redo dungeons or get thrown across the map because they added an unnecessary lives system. Or don't, it's your call but having limited time myself I'd rather cheat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even Mario has gotten rid of the lives system these days

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Friends I beg of you to play games the way you wish to and not worry about how anyone else is playing. If you are all enjoying it at the end of the day then you have all won.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zelda 2's whole thing with sending you back to the very first area is one of the stupidest parts of the entire game and it's entirely fair to circumvent that however you see fit imo. it's very different from dark souls just sending you back to the last checkpoint or something

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

zelda 2's whole thing with sending you back to the very first area is one of the stupidest parts of the entire game and it's entirely fair to circumvent that however you see fit imo. it's very different from dark souls just sending you back to the last checkpoint or something

It gets better when you have the hammer but it's way too drat far in the game to not be super annoying.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Yes, play games however you like. We're just doing chit chat. Everyone assumes you're deathly serious when you talk about games, I've noticed. IMO using save states make the experience less unless it's brutally hard. It's fine to disagree and discuss why you disagree.

The Colonel posted:

The Dark Souls system bothered me way more since it sends you back a lot further and you only get one life before being sent back. At least Zelda 2 gives you 3 lives.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i consider save states a sin but that is between the gamer and God and it is not for me to judge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, play games however you like. We're just doing chit chat. Everyone assumes you're deathly serious when you talk about games, I've noticed. IMO using save states make the experience less unless it's brutally hard. It's fine to disagree and discuss why you disagree.

The Dark Souls system bothered me way more since it sends you back a lot further and you only get one life before being sent back. At least Zelda 2 gives you 3 lives.

Did you only light one bonfire at the start of the game or something?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like having save states and fast forward, but I try to avoid using them too much because I've noticed they make me play super impatiently and carelessly which after a while starts eating into my overall enjoyment of the game.

So I guess for me, the truth truly is somewhere in the middle.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Fast Forward in FF7 and FFXII were a blessing.

Haven't tried it out in FF9 yet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sefal posted:

Fast Forward in FF7 and FFXII were a blessing.

Haven't tried it out in FF9 yet

i wouldn't have beaten ff9 if it didn't have fast forward

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat the PAL version of FF 9

Twice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Help Im Alive posted:

teach me how to defeat that village six star deviljho while reminding me that this isn't the game for me

gently caress that deviljho im gonna fight shagaru mala or whatever the heck until the heat death of the universe

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat the PAL version of FF 9

Twice.
Same
:hfive:

I didn't know any better.....

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what was wrong with the PAL version of ff9?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't even know how many players would be required for pandemic legacy to play well.

At least with gloomhaven I think you can play that with 2 players and get by fine enough. I don't have a dedicated game group outside of KCB and while I know some other people who play games, said people tend to be too busy to play reliably and, in one person's case, inviting them along means inviting along their SO as well and he's just an awful tool of a person who is all about powergaming, backseat gaming, and constantly just picking poo poo up off the table to look at it even when he's not the one playing.

Also he's just a terrible person all around and KCB gets disgusted at the idea of him touching her games or my games.

Pandemic Legacy works well with 2, you'll just use two characters each. Also Pandemic works well as a jump-in-jump-out kind of game given its seasonal nature. If someone new comes by explain the basics of Pandemic and ask them what character they want.

Zelda 2 is a game I beat in a few hours recently after having not played it in 15 years. It is not Silver Surfer or Battletoads.

I think a lot of people who rely on save states won't even try things like using the Shield spell a lot or using the jump spell to get around enemies. They'll just try to brute force everything which is a terrible way to play and makes it a guarantee that they won't like it.

Zelda 2 is beatable, sure, but good difficulty isn't throwing me back to the beginning or forcing me to grind to get the MP I need to use the spells necessary. That's just time wasting nonsense, not difficulty. Zelda 1 didn't do this, I don't know why Zelda 2 needed lives.

An important thing about hard games is practicing and trying new things. Modern hard games like Godhand and the Souls series make the downtime as short as possible. I know how to beat this poo poo, I just need to work on my execution and throwing me back to the beginning is a waste of time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

PAL games run slower and FF9 is a slow game to begin with.

There's a timed sidequest you can't even do in the PAL version of FF9 because it's that much slower (or I think you need to skip cutscenes by opening the disc tray or some poo poo).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Back then the games in eu were made for 50hz tv's. US had them at 60hz

This meant that the already slow battle system of FF9 was even worse in the EU version
While it was still hard to do, It was technically possible to do a 100% excalibur 2 run in the US version of FF9

It was straight up not possible in the EU version

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZgapK14qwk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I refreshed the last page and thought we'd somehow stumbled into a "should Dark Souls have an easy mode" argument and was very confused.

Turns out it's about save states and I'm actually more confused.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

gah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People that like save states get so defensive and always act like you're the crazy obsessed one for suggesting it might be more fun to play without them. :)

I like limited lives and continues because it makes things more tense and makes you concentrate more about not wanting to screw up so yeah, I don't think it's the same.

Counterpoint: It's poo poo because I want to practice on the hard parts but I'm punished by having to go through everything. Castlevania got it right. Ninja Gaiden got it right (except for the last stage). Zelda 2 hosed up because someone was like "well it's a platformer like Mario and Mario has lives so..."

Breath of the Wild made me revisit Zelda 2 and my opinion of its core design was much more positive than when I was a kid, but the dungeons are absolute trash. They're just as long as a 2D Zelda game with nothing in them. Just long hallways, dead ends, and optional enemies as you hunt for the hidden key to the next section.

• Locked thread