Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

lol no offense to you or anything but it always makes me laugh when somebody says anything in destiny is "sweaty"

like, is it the first pvp game they've played in their life? a round of pubg would send them into cardiac arrest

Not offended, I've played plenty of tense games and I took Threewave CTF way too seriously back in the day. If you want trials gear you need to 1: do trials or 2: be in a clan. Trials can be extremely frustrating for some people, especially if you want to go it alone like the post I quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
applied for hot dog status for shootmans i've never played before. pumped to try a new game with a clan again.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Destiny 2: you lose your light and you lose your sparrow and only one matters lmbeo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Destiny 2: you lose your light and you lose your sparrow and only one matters lmbeo

I cry every time.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hook me up for some of that goonsquid europa, I'm GrumpyKitten

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Prestige mode week 3 hype.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Inside Out Mom posted:

So whats the deal right now? On reddit in the d2 sub, they're saying the community is dying down (on consoles at least). I want to buy the game, but if it sounds like people are leaving after a few weeks of playing that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

lol

While the game's population can be somewhat cyclical because of how periodic content releases will naturally cause such, pleeeeeeease do not read too deeply into the /r/DestinyTheGame subreddit. On any given day it is 80-90% salt by volume, and a quick way to believe that Destiny: The Game is an IV bag or chemical dependency for some people/give yourself hypertension reading it.

Many games have killed Destiny so far during its lifespan:

First it was The Division. The Division was 100% totally gonna be a Destiny killer guys. Destiny is hosed.

Then it was CoD: Blops2.
Tom Clancy was gonna kill it.
Then it was Warframe, which is basically the same game just with space ninjas instead of Halo eh is cool guy
Then it was some Battlefield title iirc
MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA WAS GONNA KILL IT GUYS
Then it was Infinite Warfare.
Then it was Wildlands.
Then it was Titanfall 2.
At some point Lawbreakers was gonna kill it

I can tell how hard a First Person Shooter title is going to fall over on its face these days by how much it gets marketed as, "A Destiny Killer."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The power of the ghost keeps Destiny alive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Don't try to play the game like a early 2000s Korean mmo and you'll be fine

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Norns posted:

Don't try to play the game like a early 2000s Korean mmo and you'll be fine

who is screaming at my house to log out of Mu Online

show yourself, coward. I will never log off

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
My best advice is to give a good opportunity to each and every weapon type in Destiny 2.

Pistols. Fusion rifles. Pulse rifles. Learn them, love them. Even if they are not on the top of the meta just now (MIDA is), they will be in a inevitable future patch that rebalance weapons.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stormgale posted:

Prestige mode week 3 hype.

Uhhhh yeah, about that.....

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pulse rifles seem to be at the worst spot for guns imo. There's like 2 standouts. Same for SMGs I guess...but those are more fun

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Waffle House posted:

lol

While the game's population can be somewhat cyclical because of how periodic content releases will naturally cause such, pleeeeeeease do not read too deeply into the /r/DestinyTheGame subreddit. On any given day it is 80-90% salt by volume, and a quick way to believe that Destiny: The Game is an IV bag or chemical dependency for some people/give yourself hypertension reading it.

Many games have killed Destiny so far during its lifespan:

First it was The Division. The Division was 100% totally gonna be a Destiny killer guys. Destiny is hosed.

Then it was CoD: Blops2.
Tom Clancy was gonna kill it.
Then it was Warframe, which is basically the same game just with space ninjas instead of Halo eh is cool guy
Then it was some Battlefield title iirc
MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA WAS GONNA KILL IT GUYS
Then it was Infinite Warfare.
Then it was Wildlands.
Then it was Titanfall 2.
At some point Lawbreakers was gonna kill it

I can tell how hard a First Person Shooter title is going to fall over on its face these days by how much it gets marketed as, "A Destiny Killer."

how is a game that came out 1 year before destiny supposed to kill destiny? also it's not really a similar game beyond they are both an FPS. warframe is a diablo FPS destiny is not.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

how is a game that came out 1 year before destiny supposed to kill destiny? also it's not really a similar game beyond they are both an FPS. warframe is a diablo FPS destiny is not.

Warframe is 3rd person :colbert:

Also, Destiny is heavily influenced by games like Diablo.

SIDE NOTE: Second PC Clan is full :negative:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Holyshoot posted:

Oh you sweet summer child

This is just a mere sampling of the salt and shade. Mind you, I am just relating things that I have seen people on the internet say over the years.

If Social Media Salt Safari is your jam, like it has become mine, the Facebook Groups, "Destiny PS4 (interchangeably PC/XB1) Community" are a great place to join to watch the sort of thing I'm talking about happen live. Every time a new game, especially an AAA title is announced, someone will post a thread declaring it the new Destiny Killer.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

El Chingon posted:

yea my bad, shooter game. And now that I think about it you're right. Destiny is more like diablo because they simplified the poo poo out of it and it looks like after a few hundred hours you're done. Which theres nothing wrong with if thats your jam. Just like diablo. Warframe would be more like path of exile where you CAN spend thousands of hours on it and keep going.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Now let’s hope all these people stay playing after a week. :lol:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

El Chingon posted:

Got one spot remaining now. There was an invite that’s been sitting for a week. One person can apply to HOTDOG PARTY.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Got one spot remaining now. There was an invite that’s been sitting for a week. One person can apply to HOTDOG PARTY.

Sent as DonChingon#

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Ok now we are officially full in both HOTDOG clans. See you all in a few days!!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Keep in mind that if your clan is full you will be unable to utilize Guided Games (specifically for finding people that your clan will be guiding).

It temporarily eats a slot for the length of that encounter.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Keep in mind that if your clan is full you will be unable to utilize Guided Games (specifically for finding people that your clan will be guiding).

It temporarily eats a slot for the length of that encounter.

What a half-assed solution. Hmm, we could have a hidden field in the record somewhere for pointing to the person(s) being guided, say 20 records long since a 100 person clan could theoretically guide 20 games simultaneously? Nah, just use the clan slots and make them boot people.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Bungle is currently shutting down Trials on consoles for two weeks over an emote so there's either something severely hosed in the game engine or they are real bad at this coding thing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

1stGear posted:

Bungle is currently shutting down Trials on consoles for two weeks over an emote so there's either something severely hosed in the game engine or they are real bad at this coding thing.

Eh, it's more of a severe oversight. The emote in question actually moves the character position (and it should be noted its the only one in the game that does). The problem is that this character zero point move does not respect object boundaries (walls, closed doors, etc) so its allowing players to exploit several crucible maps by being alive while "out of bounds".

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Murgos posted:

What a half-assed solution.

Welcome to playing a Bungie product!

Y'all should probably have a soft cap at 95ish or so because its a neat feature for finding that random third person for a quick Nightfall.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

1stGear posted:

I know the guy who discovered this, and lmfao it's kind of unfortunate that we can't use the Monty Python Ministry of Silly Walking emote anymore as a result :smith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, it's more of a severe oversight. The emote in question actually moves the character position (and it should be noted its the only one in the game that does). The problem is that this character zero point move does not respect object boundaries (walls, closed doors, etc) so its allowing players to exploit several crucible maps by being alive while "out of bounds".

Referring more to the repeated instances of Bungie somehow massively loving up something that should have a simple solution.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

1stGear posted:

Referring more to the repeated instances of Bungie somehow massively loving up something that should have a simple solution.

Very true

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Waffle House posted:

I know the guy who discovered this, and lmfao it's kind of unfortunate that we can't use the Monty Python Ministry of Silly Walking emote anymore as a result :smith:
If you have it you can use it for now. They might remove it if they can't fix it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hamelekim posted:

If you have it you can use it for now. They might remove it if they can't fix it.

I didn't end up getting it while Tess had it on sale. I really like the Flying Circus, but whatever has to be done has to be done

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Guys which faction should I pick

What is the difference

Why is one faction better than the other

GIVE ME THE INFORMATION I REQUIRE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pick whatever looks best.

The only thing that matters in this game is looking cool.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Explain to me how weapon mods work

Do I get mods that I can slot into weapons? Can mods be removed from one weapon and put into another? Are mod choices 100% final and cannot be replaced?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

khy posted:

Guys which faction should I pick

What is the difference

Why is one faction better than the other

GIVE ME THE INFORMATION I REQUIRE

Pick all 3. One on each class

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

khy posted:

Do I get mods that I can slot into weapons? Can mods be removed from one weapon and put into another? Are mod choices 100% final and cannot be replaced?

Weapon mods that go into weapons don't do much except raise power level by 5 or change the element on energy and power weapons. There are weapon mods that go into armor that improve stability or reload or handling.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

khy posted:

1) Yes, you get mods! There are several kinds, ranging from ones that change elemental damage to (the coveted ones) that are of Purple/Legendary quality and add a whopping +5 attack or defense points to your weapon or armor!
2) No, they're single-use, but...
3) ...but they're not permanent, and you can replace them with different mods!

Also...

Vintersorg posted:

Pick whatever looks best.

The only thing that matters in this game is looking cool.

Vinter's got this. Most of the decision you should weigh your faction choice on is how cool the armor and shader colors are to you. Each has its own really cool guns.

New Monarchy: Red and Gold are very regal colors, especially with the medieval knights look their armor set has.

Future War Cult: Techy and NASCAR as gently caress, my personal favorite. Everyone has cool bubble helmets and futuristic-looking armor.

Dead Orbit:
Space Goths, More ragtag and "scavenged armor" look, but has black/white Monochromatic shaders and skull motifs which look good on anything really

Norns posted:

Pick all 3. One on each class

This is the classic thing to do; requires a little more initial effort on your part to get all three characters to contemporary max level, but allows you to reap the shader, reward, and Victory benefits no matter which faction wins that week's Faction Rally event.

It also keeps your playstyle and game awareness hella fresh to play all three classes

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 20, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Waffle House posted:

1) Yes, you get mods! There are several kinds, ranging from ones that change elemental damage to (the coveted ones) that are of Purple/Legendary quality and add a whopping +5 attack or defense points to your weapon or armor!
2) No, they're single-use, but...
3) ...but they're not permanent, and you can replace them with different mods!

So in a page or two back someone was going on about a 'god drop' where someone killed a raid boss 101 times to get a specific gun, and watching it they were looking at the gun mods and stuff. Since you can upgrade guns and replace mods why did he try 101 times to get that specific thing?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

khy posted:

So in a page or two back someone was going on about a 'god drop' where someone killed a raid boss 101 times to get a specific gun, and watching it they were looking at the gun mods and stuff. Since you can upgrade guns and replace mods why did he try 101 times to get that specific thing?

"Peak Mod" in this game is those +5 purple/legendary mods I was referring to, so it sounds like this dude got a lucky roll with one pre-installed, which is a rare but not impossible happenstance.

If you have the post linked, or a username/approximate page it was on, I'm happy to read it and see what else I can glean from that poster's experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

khy posted:

They were referring to Destiny 1, where perks on dropped weapons were semi-random and there were often markedly better or outright overpowered rolls that could happen on given weapons. When those weapons were meta in the Crucible with certain rolls, you wanted them, and it could potentially take a long time (or a lot of wasted resources rerolling perks) to get them.

This is no longer an issue in 2.

• Locked thread