Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

ain't carryin no fuckin pads
Some top tier songs from both artists. No Cap, All Da Smoke, and Patek Water are standouts.

Future really shines on this tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy poo poo barely on the second track and it goes off

Fuckkkkk I needed this

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

THIS IS loving LIT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drake in shambles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Dolph album is better than this Future/Thug loosie collection

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You’ve changed man

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

You’ve changed

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

monkeu posted:

You’ve changed

most of dolph's stuff is as good as, if not better than, future and thug's newest stuff so i believe it.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
i think im over trap for a while

obviously this is the wrong time to complain about that with thugger because it’s a goddamn Future collab so of course it’s going to sound like it does, but i’m just zoning out four tracks in (track 2 was pretty good).

when he really pushes himself gets out of that zone like with title track of Family Don’t Matter or Homie on that real good Carnage collab he’s so good and interesting, wish he did that more

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Princeps32 posted:

i think im over trap for a while

obviously this is the wrong time to complain about that with thugger because it’s a goddamn Future collab so of course it’s going to sound like it does, but i’m just zoning out four tracks in (track 2 was pretty good).

when he really pushes himself gets out of that zone like with title track of Family Don’t Matter or Homie on that real good Carnage collab he’s so good and interesting, wish he did that more

This project gets boring reaaaaaal fast

Maybe because each song's cadence and flow sound SUPER similar, or that I don't think that Future really makes great music anymore, or that his "sound" is being better done by a bunch of other artists out right now. I think that we've hit peak Thug and his effort seems low in this project, and it feels like he isn't pushing the envelope much here. A huge portion of these tracks and beats sound out of place and sometimes straight up terrible, you'd think that Future and Thug would elicit some BANGERS on a project but none stood out.

I'm going to get killed for this, but this is a really forgettable project and that seems par for the course for Future. I expect more from Thug though.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

new dolph and superslime are just proof im completely over this genre of rap. they are both solid albums but one time through both and i cant remember any song individually

except for killed before. thats a jeffery-tier thug track.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I've been bored of trap for awhile but this is the best trap album to come out in a minute. Future especially sounds like hes actually trying to rap instead of just phoning it in like he has been lately

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 20, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Kind of torn on it. I definitely liked it overall but I understand where a lot of you are coming from. It's a good album but everything sort of sounds the same and it feels like it should be better somehow. Patek Water and Killed Before are good though.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I was hoping it would be a HNDRXX x BTG album, not generic trap music from two very good artists that have each done an album like this 5 times.

I'm on Real Love right now and it's the best track so far. Drip on me wasn't bad either.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

new dolph and superslime are just proof im completely over this genre of rap. they are both solid albums but one time through both and i cant remember any song individually

except for killed before. thats a jeffery-tier thug track.

yeah exactly like it’s fun, future puts in some work and YT has the voice of an crazy angel. it’s not bad at all, im glad other people are into it, and it’s a great treat for fans as a surprise release, but i feel like ive been listening to essentially the same song stretched out over many albums for a few years now even just from these two, let alone all the others like dolph etc.

i do think thugger will outlast though, and i’ll always check out whatever he drops at least once, man is talented

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lil Durk dropped Signed to the Streets 2.5 today for his birthday.

http://www.datpiff.com/Lil-Durk-Signed-To-The-Streets-25-mixtape.866844.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBxuZzmN9B4

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Ss3 is the last perfect thing Thug has put out. Jeff was close. Family don’t matter and like 2-3 other songs on thugger girls were good. This is just kinda ok.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So we kinda ended up getting SUPER after all.

The Once and Future Hendrix has taken uncleared throat rap to a new level on Group Home

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

WE WANT ALL DA SMOKE

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

It's better on a second listen, so far

It's good, it's not insanely good. Probably will be insanely good in a few weeks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ok going against the grain a bit but i loving love it. fewtch loving snaps on this tape and i haven't heard him sound this hungry.... ever? he consistently out shines thug and it's noticeable. also i haven't loved a future project this much since beast mode.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I’ve listened to it like ten times already I’m not exaggerating at all. It loving owns and it gets better with every listen. In the top 5 of the year easy. How high yet I’m not sure

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Maybe it's because I took like a week break from blasting rap in my car, but I'm really liking this Future-Thugga collab.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
Hearing fewtch and thug together on a bunch of southside beats is something I wanted since 2014 so I really like No Cap, Three, and Patek Water. this poo poo just hits all the pleasure centers in my Brian. Group Home with TM88 is also great and Feed Me Dope with Will a Fool is sweet as hell SKIPtoMYLOU

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

GoldfishStew posted:

Ss3 is the last perfect thing Thug has put out. Jeff was close. Family don’t matter and like 2-3 other songs on thugger girls were good. This is just kinda ok.

this is true in the sense that thug's best song, Drippin, appears on the extremely consistent SS3. Take Care on EBBTG is definitely the second best thug song of all time. there's nothing really close to the level of Drippin or Take Care on Super Slimey

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

good electric posted:

this is true in the sense that thug's best song, Drippin, appears on the extremely consistent SS3. Take Care on EBBTG is definitely the second best thug song of all time. there's nothing really close to the level of Drippin or Take Care on Super Slimey

In complete agreement.

I didn’t care at all for the Thug/future song on thugger Girls. I know a lot of people did but, just like this album, I found it super generic sounding and boring.

I’ll say again I really like the last song on the recent Thug ep.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think it's fine but I blame any monotony/lesser poo poo on Future, Thug consistently saves every song he's on and his solo tracks are better than Future's too. Sometimes it feels like Future is trying way too hard to be Thugger eccentric and dynamic to the point he puts on weird voices and gets too off beat. It's not super well produced.
Still think SS4 is gonna be great and Thugger Girls was really good, anything else I can pretty much blame on Carnage or Future.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I smell codeine when I piss

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I’m nervous that this sounds as slime season because of the name. Are we Positive there will be a separate release?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
was just listening to justin hunte wax philosophical about how everybody is scared to call an album a classic upon release and this is explored through the lens of good kid maad city. i really like the point he's making. in any open forum for discussion of rap if you enjoy something to a large extent upon release you get a parade of dickheads who can't let people just enjoy themselves until the appropriate number of years have passed and it's pretty loving weird. anyway have a listen if you're so inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF9bn9IJaJo

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Future thug doesn't touchtheir best work but it's exactly what I need right now and a good thing to listen to front to back

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Marching Powder posted:

was just listening to justin hunte wax philosophical about how everybody is scared to call an album a classic upon release and this is explored through the lens of good kid maad city. i really like the point he's making. in any open forum for discussion of rap if you enjoy something to a large extent upon release you get a parade of dickheads who can't let people just enjoy themselves until the appropriate number of years have passed and it's pretty loving weird. anyway have a listen if you're so inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF9bn9IJaJo

IDK who this dude is (he made a "hypocrisy of doom fans" video) but that's not what classic meant bitd. People would say an album is classic in passing. Not like A CLASSIC. Just classic like how people throw around aoty. But when hiphop media like xxl or the source got big and respected, the whole classic thing was serious. People started caring too much if you acknowledged someone else's opinion about music. Jay/Nas really started a lot of the stanning bullshit we see now and I remember how Jay Z went from a good rapper that heads liked to actually the best rapper alive. Rappers had to make at least 2 albums before people started calling them classic seriously. Now, everything was classic and we all knew it, but only stuff like NWA, the chronic, illmatic, ready to die, enter the 36 chambers was like instant classics (if those). Even illmatic was respected but only with hiphop junkies. Your average fan probably heard it later.

And even with kendrick, how people agree that anything past gkmc is classic?

temple fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 22, 2017

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gkmc is classic tho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

temple posted:

IDK who this dude is (he made a "hypocrisy of doom fans" video) but that's not what classic meant bitd. People would say an album is classic in passing. Not like A CLASSIC. Just classic like how people throw around aoty. But when hiphop media like xxl or the source got big and respected, the whole classic thing was serious. People started caring too much if you acknowledged someone else's opinion about music. Jay/Nas really started a lot of the stanning bullshit we see now and I remember how Jay Z went from a good rapper that heads liked to actually the best rapper alive. Rappers had to make at least 2 albums before people started calling them classic seriously. Now, everything was classic and we all knew it, but only stuff like NWA, the chronic, illmatic, ready to die, enter the 36 chambers was like instant classics (if those). Even illmatic was respected but only with hiphop junkies. Your average fan probably heard it later.

And even with kendrick, how people agree that anything past gkmc is classic?

i'd love to respond to this but i'm not sure what you're trying to say.

i think it's funny that publications are scared to call something classic in case they look silly in retrospect. i think it's loving hilarious that someone on a message board can't say 'amazing! aoty!' without the usual dickheads pissing on their parade. the hesitation to call something good immediately has permeated all discussions within the community and it's sad / funny.

Tolkien minority posted:

Gkmc is classic tho

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Marching Powder posted:

i'd love to respond to this but i'm not sure what you're trying to say.

i think it's funny that publications are scared to call something classic in case they look silly in retrospect. i think it's loving hilarious that someone on a message board can't say 'amazing! aoty!' without the usual dickheads pissing on their parade. the hesitation to call something good immediately has permeated all discussions within the community and it's sad / funny.
Stuff that doesn't matter: Grammies, record sales, a 2nd album, longevity
Stuff that matters: Being called classic by a critic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I found this new equalizer app for Windows that makes poo poo sound way better than it did before on my PC and Super Slimey was a good first thing to listen to with it so I could adjust all the settings properly.

poo poo slaps.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair every single good album is now called aoty when it drops to the point where the phrase has no meaning

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Or an album is a little individuals aoty f it's the best they've heard.

I can't speak to future releases but I can refer to albums that came out previously in the year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Quote isn't edit

Like drat is still my album of the year. And I said it was at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Tolkien minority posted:

To be fair every single good album is now called aoty when it drops to the point where the phrase has no meaning

Life has no meaning