Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
While we're asking newbie gear questions, Aramek is cool and good and hooked me up with a nice set of leveling gear when I was level 16. Now I'm pushing 30 and wondering can I just keep this gear all the way to the cap?

I haven't been paying super close attention, but it seems that my max magicka has been going down as I level up, even though I'm pumping every attribute point into it. Do gear bonuses get weaker as you out level them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Aramek posted:

All "building towards it" is the same as any build, use every power, get all of them to "morph", and then use the next power. Make sure to have 1 ability from each of your three class trees on your bar at all times so all three level up. Then, as you unlock and morph the ones listed in the build, you just kinda keep them on your bar, and get into how they work, the timing of it, etc.

Sorry about your RL.

Thanks for the advice, I am using the volatile familiar from daedric summoning, crystal blast from dark magic and endless fury from storm calling atm which seems to get the job done. Crystal blast isn't part of that build but seems to be a pretty solid mob killer for me at this point in time.

Any advice on crafting, what I should look at/what is most helpful to someone new with nothing?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I've been playing around a bit with my Nightblade, and I'm now at lvl24. I've realized I'm not good enough at twitchy melee combat to beat most quest bosses (I usually need 3-4 tries). Would I be better off using a bow, or do I just need better equipment? At the moment I'm decked out in various quest rewards around lvl20.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Zvim posted:

Any advice on crafting, what I should look at/what is most helpful to someone new with nothing?

Sad Wendigo posted:

I would seriously ignore crafting unless you have ESO Plus. Your inventory will never be free if you keep all of the crafting materials.
Plus, you will level up twice as fast if you don't stop to collect every resource node you see.

Maybe keep the equipment that drops to break it down to increase your skill, and research as much equipment as frequently as you can.
But as far as keeping all of the components for crafting, just sell them off to save space.

That drat crafting bag is the one reason I can't play the game without ESO Plus.

This is working for me so far. It makes things much more enjoyable. We'll see when I get to the level cap if I wish I'd been crafting the whole time, but I doubt it.

What I'm doing is completely ignoring consumable crafting, and just deconstructing the stuff I find for Clothier and Woodworking. It's saving me a lot of inventory management and gathering time so I can spend more time actually having fun.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scyantific posted:

Getting Account Not Found. Are you PC NA?

Hm sorry not sure what happened, yes I am pc na. I had done an account name change, that could have been it? I've logged in and played on @IsAboutToDie so it seems fine now?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

skeletronics posted:

While we're asking newbie gear questions, Aramek is cool and good and hooked me up with a nice set of leveling gear when I was level 16. Now I'm pushing 30 and wondering can I just keep this gear all the way to the cap?

I haven't been paying super close attention, but it seems that my max magicka has been going down as I level up, even though I'm pumping every attribute point into it. Do gear bonuses get weaker as you out level them?

Comrade Koba posted:

So I've been playing around a bit with my Nightblade, and I'm now at lvl24. I've realized I'm not good enough at twitchy melee combat to beat most quest bosses (I usually need 3-4 tries). Would I be better off using a bow, or do I just need better equipment? At the moment I'm decked out in various quest rewards around lvl20.

So due to the way that the world scales to your level, low level gear becomes much less effective as you outlevel it. Especially if you're using weapon skills, updating your gear is like the biggest thing you can do to keep abreast of content scaling. Any of the no lifers in the guild (especially Ara or me if you can catch me on) can probably craft you whatever you need.

Zvim posted:

If you're space limited for crafting mats due to not being subscribed, I'd say go with either blacksmithing or woodworking depending on what weapons you're generally using, so you can (see above) craft your own stuff to fill gaps in your gear as you level.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Clockwerk posted:

Also, your delay is giving me time to get cp160 with my dk

Welcome, fellow Argonian Tank. May you tank the whole world.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Skipping crafting just due to a lack of ESO+ is ill advised. If you don't have the inventory space, just keep the mats pertaining to your level. Basically, you want to be able to do your writs daily.

Also be sure to be researching whenever possible. Traits are not something you want to wait for at all. You should be all over those from level 1.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'm only skipping consumables. I'm still deconstructing/researching whenever I can. This has been manageable, and as my bag and bank size increase, it's getting even more so.

gently caress keeping Enchanting/Provisioning/Alchemy mats though.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I respecced my lizard-man, and with Aramek hooking me up with knowledge bombs and gear, I went from struggling in almost every pub group as a dps to tanking vet dungeons! :whatup:

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Skipping crafting just due to a lack of ESO+ is ill advised. If you don't have the inventory space, just keep the mats pertaining to your level. Basically, you want to be able to do your writs daily.

Also be sure to be researching whenever possible. Traits are not something you want to wait for at all. You should be all over those from level 1.

I think being able to forage for every crafting profession at the same time overwhelms my non-ESO+ bag, but i have been working on doing the writs when i can and when my inventory becomes overloaded dump stuff I want to keep in the vault and just purge as much stuff as humanly possible. It requires a bit of micromanagement but it is doable.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Do any of the master writs for consumables ever pay more than a lousy handful of vouchers?

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

count_von_count posted:

Do any of the master writs for consumables ever pay more than a lousy handful of vouchers?

the biggest one I've seen was 10 vouchers for psijic ambrosia. so yeah, p. crap.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Zvim posted:

I think being able to forage for every crafting profession at the same time overwhelms my non-ESO+ bag, but i have been working on doing the writs when i can and when my inventory becomes overloaded dump stuff I want to keep in the vault and just purge as much stuff as humanly possible. It requires a bit of micromanagement but it is doable.

That would be around 30 or so slots for all professions at your level.

Woodworking/Clothing/Blacksmithing: 4 slots
Enchanting: 5 slots
Provisioning: Probably around 10 slots
Alchemy: Like 14 slots

That's not very much room with a couple cheap backpack upgrades.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
As someone thats been playing for a shamefully long time to not know this..

What are the master writ vouchers even for? I really just horde the crafting mats and when I remember research traits, then bug other goons to actually make me stuff so I dont do writs.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Hi posted:

What are the master writ vouchers even for? I really just horde the crafting mats and when I remember research traits, then bug other goons to actually make me stuff so I dont do writs.

You can use them to buy Ebony style pages/book.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hi posted:

Like boy up here said, Ebony motifs + poo poo for your home like crafting stations and attunable crafting stations, which allow you to pick any overland set, and attune the station to it, allowing you to craft it at home. And with Clockwork City, you can also buy a Transmutation station for a meager sum of 2,500 writ vouchers.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

JackBadass posted:

That would be around 30 or so slots for all professions at your level.

Woodworking/Clothing/Blacksmithing: 4 slots
Enchanting: 5 slots
Provisioning: Probably around 10 slots
Alchemy: Like 14 slots

That's not very much room with a couple cheap backpack upgrades.

I think alchemy and provisioning is what weighs me down, the others aren't too bad. I got the first bag upgrade, was dirt cheap, the second is 2k i think and that is a bit rich for me as I only have about 3k and I use a bit of money to buy cheap enchanting thingies to deconstruct them into the bits I need for the crap i need to make for writs, it is probably a dumb thing to do but I don't find a lot of the runestones (or whatever they are called) out in the wilds and i get a bit of exp for deconstructing and making the stuff as well.

Sorry, my ESO lingo when out of the game isn't up to scratch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zvim posted:

I think alchemy and provisioning is what weighs me down, the others aren't too bad. I got the first bag upgrade, was dirt cheap, the second is 2k i think and that is a bit rich for me as I only have about 3k and I use a bit of money to buy cheap enchanting thingies to deconstruct them into the bits I need for the crap i need to make for writs, it is probably a dumb thing to do but I don't find a lot of the runestones (or whatever they are called) out in the wilds and i get a bit of exp for deconstructing and making the stuff as well.

You're NA PC right? If you are message me @lljkscy later tonight.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Zvim posted:

I think it's like 30k altogether to get up to 100 slots of inventory, but you can split your mats in any ratio between your bank and on hand. That amount becomes pretty trivial after a while if you keep leveling.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A warning for anyone making their own equipment who uses the same weapon type on both bars—make sure your weapons are visually distinct enough from each other than you can tell at a glance which bar you're on, and take buffs like Molten Weapons into account. Imperial and Barbarian staves seem different enough, but it turns out they're pretty indistinguishable when they're on fire! Which, if you're a Magicka Dragonknight, is all the time!

I seriously just had to remake an otherwise perfect weapon that I'd upgraded to Legendary because of this. :shepicide:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 18, 2017

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I was thinking about picking this up for XB1 and I'm a little confused as to exactly which edition I would want -- there seems to be quite a few with differing DLC/extras/etc. Not interested in a collector's edition or anything, and would prefer to go the cheapest route possible. Which one(s) do I want to look for? Better off looking for physical used copies?

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

A warning for anyone making their own equipment who uses the same weapon type on both bars—make sure your weapons are visually distinct enough from each other than you can tell at a glance which bar you're on, and take buffs like Molten Weapons into account. Imperial and Barbarian staves seem different enough, but it turns out they're pretty indistinguishable when they're on fire! Which, if you're a Magicka Dragonknight, is all the time!

I seriously just had to remake an otherwise perfect weapon that I'd upgraded to Legendary because of this. :shepicide:

Can't you tell based on the abilities on the bar or am I missing something?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You can, but the visual cue of the weapons also is a huge help. I always make sure both bars look different, it's especially handy on tanks where both bars are sword/shield.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
I've been doing some low level quests for Dumbledore, does he have an extensive voice-acting role in the game or is it short-lived?

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Zvim posted:

I've been doing some low level quests for Dumbledore, does he have an extensive voice-acting role in the game or is it short-lived?

all the way through the main questline

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pro-tip: you'll never have that problem with Maelstrom/Master/Asylum weapons :smug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ExplodingChef posted:

I was thinking about picking this up for XB1 and I'm a little confused as to exactly which edition I would want -- there seems to be quite a few with differing DLC/extras/etc. Not interested in a collector's edition or anything, and would prefer to go the cheapest route possible. Which one(s) do I want to look for? Better off looking for physical used copies?

Physical used copies do not include any of the dlc or expansions but will work as a way of playing the game, so there's no reason to buy a brand new copy of the base game. However, getting one of the other editions can save you money on DLC! Buying a new GOLD EDITION will include keys for the main non-morrowind dlcs; a brand new MORROWIND copy includes a key for Morrowind but not the other dlc.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am reinstalling after a several months to check out the new content/class. I wanted to check 1) is the guild still active and 2) how is the new class? I have many, many pages in this thread to catch up on and I will make my way through them but I am trying to decide whether to invest many hours into the remastered Skyrim or get back into this game.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

inflatable fish posted:

all the way through the main questline

That is cool, I really like his voice.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Am I remembering correctly that Morrowind adds a few more character slots? I'm flush w/ birthday cash :toot: and finally ready to run around Vvardenfell tripping balls on nostalgia, but I'd like to try the Warden and I only have 1 slot left.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Zvim posted:

That is cool, I really like his voice.

You're going to meet a character that Alfred Molina voices and he is the best character in the entire game.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

count_von_count posted:

I'm flush w/ birthday cash :toot: and finally ready to run around Vvardenfell tripping balls on nostalgia.

This is literally what Zenimax planned for.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

count_von_count posted:

Am I remembering correctly that Morrowind adds a few more character slots? I'm flush w/ birthday cash :toot: and finally ready to run around Vvardenfell tripping balls on nostalgia, but I'd like to try the Warden and I only have 1 slot left.

to be precise, it increases your character slot cap by two, so you'll have to unlock those slots with crowns if you want to use them.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So with the new expansiony thing coming out soon, are there any sweet deals on the base/base+Morrowind packs? Getting a weird itch to maybe try this out.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Just started playing this; Morrowind has been a serious nostalgia trip so far.

Can I get a guild invite? @Resonance22 Thanks!

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Got the Humble Monthly key for this, haven't played this game since closed beta way back when. It's actually fun and resolves a lot of the niggling annoyances I've had with TES games. I daresay it might be the best TES game since Morrowind? I'll have to keep playing for sure, but I'm having a great time with my Argonian Templar blasting faces with the power of the Sun. For me the TES games have always been about exploring a world where the the devil is in the details, finding mysterious caves and dungeons, and murdering everyone and everything inside with an axe. Crafting seems to be a bigger pain in the rear end in this game than Skyrim so I'm not touching that until I decide if I'm in it for the long term (Destiny 2 comes out next week).

Can someone send an invite to @jbahamon for the EU guild? Thanks in advance.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
What would be the best way to farm the skull drops for the Halloween holiday event? Speed running delves and world bosses or just joining a Dolmen train?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any decent eso podcasts?

E- I see there's a bunch but i don't want to sift through a ton of garbage if I don't have to.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

frgildan posted:

What would be the best way to farm the skull drops for the Halloween holiday event? Speed running delves and world bosses or just joining a Dolmen train?
Last year there was a time limit on how often you could get the skulls, so I just parked in front of one dolmen and waited for the train to show up to hit it. If it's anything like last year you won't really have to worry about getting everything, they're not really that rare.