Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's not it either. It's that Superman repeated his father's dying words as Batman stood over him just like Joe Chill stood over Thomas. He didn't realize something about Superman, he realized something about himself. They even flash back to that scene in the middle of the scene. I don't know how everyone misses it.

What did he realize about himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

That he's become dick cheney

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

Batman doesn't use a 12 gauge.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

BvS is true capekino

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

He just acknowledges that Superman has parents. not human ones

Yes, and earlier in the film he acknowledges that Superman was brought to Earth. He knows Superman is a space orphan.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thomas Wayne did not awkwardly groan "YOU'RE.... LETTING... HIM.... KILL... MARTHA. SAVE.... MARTHA"

There's about a hundred ways they could have done that scene that would have gotten the point across better. I don't know why people are surprised that audiences focused on their moms having the same name because the film 100% focuses on the name, repeatedly. It overshadows everything else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/ProfessorEmily/status/921193213712588800

lol geek culture

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roth posted:

That he was about to become a murderer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

BvS is true capekino

I dont know what this word means. it appears to be a 4chan thing?

I was just making a joke about Batman paraphrasing Cheney in the movie.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and earlier in the film he acknowledges that Superman was brought to Earth. He knows Superman is a space orphan.

Fair enough, I don't remember the specific line your referencing though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He had his eyes closed for the entire five hours of movie before that scene, I guess

Can't blame him lol it was a bad movie

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

About to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkQS7q6sT0

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

I don't know why people are surprised that audiences focused on their moms having the same name because the film 100% focuses on the name, repeatedly. It overshadows everything else.

Someone during the scripting process (probably Goyer) must have gotten hung up on the fact that Batman and Superman‘s moms have the same name, and were determined to shoehorn that in there because of how “clever” it was, even if it distracts from the actual point of the scene and comes off as contrived and stupid.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Guess I need to watch BvS again.

(I enjoy it)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In a movie where he didn't spend the entire run time planning to murder someone, this may have been powerful.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol that video counts guys he kills a dream. THOUGHT CRIME

glitchwraith posted:

In a movie where he didn't spend the entire run time planning to murder someone, this may have been powerful.

Not sure I follow. Him deciding not to be a murderer without ever considering murder would be more powerful than realizing it at the moment he's about to commit his assassination?

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd post her paper but it's $19 on JSTOR.

Here's the beginning.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

teagone posted:

Both Catwoman and Superman IV are entertainingly bad.
Catwoman isn't so-bad-it's-good to me, it just makes me cringe. (Yet I've seen it three times.)

Schumacher's Batman films, now, those are fun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Catwoman is a pretty miserable experience to watch

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure I follow. Him deciding not to be a murderer without ever considering murder would be more powerful than realizing it at the moment he's about to commit his assassination?

"This guy is too dangerous. I gotta murder him."

"Martha..."

"Oh my god! I was about to murder that guy! Like my parents where murdered!"

I'm simplifying for comedic effect, but the shift in his motives comes so suddenly and simply, you gotta wonder why Batman, master detective driven by the murder of his parents, hadn't considered that angle already.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He might be he World’s Greatest Detective, but can he discover empathy and compassion?

Or will he need a little help from a Man of Steel with Heart of Gold?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those were legitimate self defense

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even the Martha that stops him. That makes him pause, but mostly just to angrily shout at Superman about why he said it and so Lois has time to run in and give the disarming exposition.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When I defend myself, I make sure to crash my cars into theirs, and then drag it by a tow cable for several dozen yards.

I also brand them if they survive so they get killed in jail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's your right as an American.

It's like they say in the Bible. Thou shalt something something sevenfold revenge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roth posted:

When I defend myself, I make sure to crash my cars into theirs, and then drag it by a tow cable for several dozen yards.

Dudes were about to fire a rocket launcher at him

Lex Luthor killed those brand guys

Every kill of those PMCs was justified and necessary, good and clean

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:chloe:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Roth posted:

The ethical lessons Batman learns aren't about the merits of Lethal Force vs. Sadistically Maiming People But Never Ever Killing Them.

Justice League will probably retcon that, though, so that Batman has learned how to be DC Editorial Board Status Quo Batman.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

"This guy is too dangerous. I gotta murder him."

"Martha..."

"Oh my god! I was about to murder that guy! Like my parents where murdered!"

I'm simplifying for comedic effect, but the shift in his motives comes so suddenly and simply, you gotta wonder why Batman, master detective driven by the murder of his parents, hadn't considered that angle already.

He didn't consider it earlier because he was blinded by his fear and rage. Alfred tries to talk him off the cliff several times. It took Batman coming face to face with his fear before realizing the folly of it. In the first clip below Bruce ends the conversation with the "20 years in gotham how many good guys are left, how many stayed that way?" line without realizing he's slipped over to being a bad guy. Almost assassinating superman and contextualizing it with his own past trauma forces him to realize he's the baddie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwiNzV6QMog&t=80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYq2Twn8Lg

Aphrodite posted:

It's not even the Martha that stops him. That makes him pause, but mostly just to angrily shout at Superman about why he said it and so Lois has time to run in and give the disarming exposition.

The Martha line definitely stops him dead in his tracks and you see the gears turning in his head right before it flashes back to the alley scene, like the very name Martha haunts him. He doesn't quite get the actual context of Martha until Lois spells it out for him.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Those were legitimate self defense

Yes, the man sitting in a car unaware of the man in the tank was clearly a threat to the man in the tank. The tank driver had no other recourse but to crash into him.

My favorite bit about this scene is that it happens after Batman places a tracking device on the truck shipping the kryptonite he's after, showing that his plan all along was to figure out where it was going to be stored. So, him flipping cars over and machine gunning down goons is completely counter to his goal. In fact, we later see that the truck he's tracking is so damaged that the tracker is hanging onto a sliver of twisted metal.

MacheteZombie posted:

He didn't consider it earlier because he was blinded by his fear and rage. Alfred tries to talk him off the cliff several times. It took Batman coming face to face with his fear before realizing the folly of it. In the first clip below Bruce ends the conversation with the "20 years in gotham how many good guys are left, how many stayed that way?" line without realizing he's slipped over to being a bad guy. Almost assassinating superman and contextualizing it with his own past trauma forces him to realize he's the baddie.

I get that. The movie actually does a decent job of showing how broken Batman has become and his motives for being so bloodthirsty. Which is why I don't buy that "Martha" would have been sufficient to stay his hand. The whole reason Bruce dresses as a bat is because of his parent's murder. It's safe to assume that is literally always on his mind. If that core motivation didn't stop him from planning Superman's assassination, I don't know why it would at the point of doing the deed.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 20, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PMCs are like nazis, you can just kill them and it doesn't even count.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Batman might break vigilante laws, but he follows stand your ground laws.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Yes, the man sitting in a car unaware of the man in the tank was clearly a threat to the man in the tank. The tank driver had no other recourse but to crash into him.

My favorite bit about this scene is that it happens after Batman places a tracking device on the truck shipping the kryptonite he's after, showing that his plan all along was to figure out where it was going to be stored. So, him flipping cars over and machine gunning down goons is completely counter to his goal. In fact, we later see that the truck he's tracking is so damaged that the tracker is hanging onto a sliver of twisted metal.

I think his plan was to intercept the shipment and the tracker was a backup if the truck got away.

Aphrodite posted:

The MCU uses that logic all the time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

Unironically yes

The first thing these guys do in the film is slaughter an African village. gently caress em

In any event, the Batman of Justice league will be a completely different character in much the same way Captain America is a completely different character in The First Avenger, Avengers, and Winter Soldier. (His characterization in CW is consistent with Winter Soldier). Just accept it.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 20, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Accurate

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

I get that. The movie actually does a decent job of showing how broken Batman has become and his motives for being so bloodthirsty. Which is why I don't buy that "Martha" would have been sufficient to stay his hand. The whole reason Bruce dresses as a bat is because of his parent's murder. It's safe to assume that is literally always on his mind. If that core motivation didn't stop him from planning Superman's assassination, I don't know why it would at the point of doing the deed.

Fair enough. It worked for me it's just very over the top dramatic. :respek:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Unironically yes

The first thing these guys do in the film is slaughter an African village. gently caress em

"Your honor, I had no choice but to kill that man to defend myself. Also, that fucker had it coming."

I mean, I don't really disagree with your sentiment, but it is rather counter to your previous assertion.

MacheteZombie posted:

I think his plan was to intercept the shipment and the tracker was a backup if the truck got away.

Could be, Batman is known for his backup plans, but if that was the case, you think he'd try to keep the damage more focused on the front so that if they did get away, like they did, his backup plan would still be viable.

My take, though, is that the writers wanted a big, violent chase scene, but didn't want Batman to have the kryptonite yet, so wrote in the tracking device in to explain how he gets it later, without realizing how little sense the violent chase scene now makes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Could be, Batman is known for his backup plans, but if that was the case, you think he'd try to keep the damage more focused on the front so that if they did get away, like they did, his backup plan would still be viable.

My take, though, is that the writers wanted a big, violent chase scene, but didn't want Batman to have the kryptonite yet, so wrote in the tracking device in to explain how he gets it later, without realizing how little sense the violent chase scene now makes.

His backup plan worked though :shrug:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

Someone during the scripting process (probably Goyer) must have gotten hung up on the fact that Batman and Superman‘s moms have the same name, and were determined to shoehorn that in there because of how “clever” it was, even if it distracts from the actual point of the scene and comes off as contrived and stupid.

I've been consuming various DC content my entire life, and that movie was the first time I ever had the thought "huh, they are both named Martha, that's weird."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

You're still assuming Batman has more-or-less rational, internally consistent reasons for his policies regarding lethal force. In a movie where he is shown to have vivid apocalyptic nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMceD_O3olA

This man doesn't justify his use of force by, like, citing Harold Koh's writings on drone warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
No matter how many times I see it, it still blows my mind to see Batman just raining bullets on a whole bunch of random mooks. If you put a skull on that tank, it would just be The Punisher. It makes me wonder why he even bothers with anything but that. Under what circumstances is a batarang more effective than a bullet?

• Locked thread