Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oddium posted:

i too can tell when someone uses shotguns in nuclear throne

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite design concept in video games is intentionally dying before a hard part to refill my health.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

al-azad posted:

Breath of the Wild made me revisit Zelda 2 and my opinion of its core design was much more positive than when I was a kid, but the dungeons are absolute trash. They're just as long as a 2D Zelda game with nothing in them. Just long hallways, dead ends, and optional enemies as you hunt for the hidden key to the next section.

I had the opposite experience, I had memories of enjoying Zelda 2 as a kid, but then I replayed it a few years back and I don't want to play that lovely game again as long as I live.
It's not even the nintendo-hardness of it, it's just a badly designed game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

I had the opposite experience, I had memories of enjoying Zelda 2 as a kid, but then I replayed it a few years back and I don't want to play that lovely game again as long as I live.
It's not even the nintendo-hardness of it, it's just a badly designed game.

It really made me appreciate the craftsmanship behind it. It's like Nintendo took this very focused and minimalist (especially compared to PC98 style RPGs) game and blew it up into a relatively huge open world experience. It's evocative of of the apocalyptic world building from the first game and the excellent Katsuya Terada art.

There's just nothing to it. The enemies are the puzzles and you can avoid the enemies. Everything else is pits and misdirection.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

i too can tell when someone uses shotguns in nuclear throne

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Opus Magnum is really good, just btw. My wallet is flipping off whoever mentioned it ITT and brought it to my attention.

some guy on the bus posted:

We're just doing chit chat. Everyone assumes you're deathly serious when you talk about games, I've noticed. .

Seriously, throw out some really gentle ribbing in a chat thread and everyone assumes you're having a meltdown, jesus.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait why is using a shotgun in Nuclear Throne bad?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
https://mobile.twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/921317079373971456

I'll miss this Twitter :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait why is using a shotgun in Nuclear Throne bad?

enemies don't care how much health they have left. a 1 hp rad dog is as deadly as a full hp rad dog. you need to be able to kill in as few hits as possible or have a good reason why it takes more (so wrenches get a pass because they reflect projectiles). dps is king (this is why trigger fingers/stress are good mutations)

by the time you get to frozen city shotguns aren't going to cut it and goodness help you if you try looping with one.

good weapons are: shovel / lightning hammer / sledgehammer with trigger fingers or stress / crossbows / gatling slugger / assault slugger / spc / probably some others

shotguns also leads to taking shotgun shoulders which is bottom tier

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I buy a game on the nintendo store with the WiiU do I have it for all future platforms(like the switch) or is it platform specific?

I ask mainly because the account/purchases from my Wii didn't transfer over

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 20, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm maybe I'll just use Cheat Engine to make the game doable with shotguns

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If I buy a game on the nintendo store with the WiiU do I have it for all future platforms(like the switch) or is it platform specific?

every nintendo ecosystem is unique and nothing crosses over, if you get upset about this nintendo will send you a copy of nintendogs, let you get attached to your dumb virtual doggo, then have it shot in front of you for your obvious lack of faith

e: also what games are actually available for both platforms other than BotW?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

food court bailiff posted:

every nintendo ecosystem is unique and nothing crosses over, if you get upset about this nintendo will send you a copy of nintendogs, let you get attached to your dumb virtual doggo, then have it shot in front of you for your obvious lack of faith

It's the epitome of :psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Isn't there a bunch of eshop/VC stuff that's available on more than 1 platform?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my shameful gamer confession is i've never made it past the frozen city in nuclear throne anyway, partly because i refuse to play any other character besides melting, who is my self-insert character

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have seen people that are OK with buying a new version of the same SNES game for each of three different platforms because it's "just a few bucks", whatever Nintendo's plans for this NESflix model actually sounds radically different from what they've been doing for years

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have seen people that are OK with buying a new version of the same SNES game for each of three different platforms because it's "just a few bucks", whatever Nintendo's plans for this NESflix model actually sounds radically different from what they've been doing for years

Oh yeah I forgot all about that, apparently there's not going to be a virtual console in the same way as we've seen on the Wii/U for the Switch. I'm actually pretty hype for it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

VideoGames posted:

Friends I beg of you to play games the way you wish to and not worry about how anyone else is playing. If you are all enjoying it at the end of the day then you have all won.

as a crab in a bucket I respectfully disagree

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The switch is not backwards compatible, so no your Wii U purchases will not carry over.
Your Wii purchases should have been accessible on the Wii U through the vWii side though, and stuff like VC that's available on both they give you the privilege of re-buying for the Wii U side for like $2.

Shovel Knight, and...????

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 20, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

my shameful gamer confession is i've never made it past the frozen city in nuclear throne anyway, partly because i refuse to play any other character besides melting, who is my self-insert character

you can do it.... i believe in you... but be yv or steroids

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I use the auto shotgun and auto flame shotgun all the time, they're great

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The real solution is to do the thing that lets you get a golden gun because it's honestly not that hard and makes beating the game a lot easier.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i do deeply respect y.v.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Digirat posted:

I use the auto shotgun and auto flame shotgun all the time, they're great

you are like baby to me

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I beat Nuclear Throne once but getting anything done past that felt like it would've taken more practice than I was willing to put in.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

This is what I grew up with and actually, it's everyone else that is wrong!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got as far as the fourth world and it took me dozens or even hundreds of runs just to get that far and then something killed me instantly and I had no idea what happened. I realized then that it would take me dozens or even hundreds more runs just to consistently get to the fourth world to actually learn and get a feel for it. I also realized that while I had fun with the hours I put into the game, I did not want to put more time into it and I knew I would have less fun if I kept trying at that point.

The above paragraph also describes word-for-word my experiences with Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Crypt of the Necrodancer

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'd probably like roguelites if I could use save states

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Rogue Legacy is pretty chill, as far as this genre goes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got as far as the fourth world and it took me dozens or even hundreds of runs just to get that far and then something killed me instantly and I had no idea what happened. I realized then that it would take me dozens or even hundreds more runs just to consistently get to the fourth world to actually learn and get a feel for it. I also realized that while I had fun with the hours I put into the game, I did not want to put more time into it and I knew I would have less fun if I kept trying at that point.

The above paragraph also describes word-for-word my experiences with Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Crypt of the Necrodancer

Funny, I also beat Spelunky, Rogue Legacy and NecroDancer exactly once but never did anything extra after that in those either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess Mario Kart 8 might count, though the Switch version is expanded even further so it's not like how BotW is the exact same game on each platform.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Harrow posted:

I guess Mario Kart 8 might count, though the Switch version is expanded even further so it's not like how BotW is the exact same game on each platform.

Yeah, Lego City Undercover did the same thing I think. But they're different/expanded titles, not just straight ports.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

lmfao at save states or 'lives' or 'continues'

hardcore run every game no exceptions

any attempt after the first one you have to play blindfolded till you're past where you already played

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

in solidarity with the speedrunners, i reset the second i make a single mistake

help i'm stuck on the first level

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I beat the original Spelunky only once, way back when. Never got into the remake much

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rogue Legacy at least you can make progressively easier between runs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure I will never, ever beat Spelunky again after doing it the first time. But I am very proud of my accomplishment so hey I'm not that bothered.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Beating spelunky the "hard way" is one of my finest gaming accomplishments. I think I did it all of two times iirc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

in solidarity with the speedrunners, i reset the second i make a single mistake

help i'm stuck on the first level

I had a friend in school who would insist on playing every game on the hardest difficulty from the start and consequently rarely made it past the first level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

Beating spelunky the "hard way" is one of my finest gaming accomplishments. I think I did it all of two times iirc

This is how I beat it, and then I looked at the cheevo for doing so without ever picking up and gold and I just laughed and muttered like kurtz at the end of heart of darkness

• Locked thread