Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like your forest base and your tutorial for it is an added bonus. That said, drat dude, that's so many steps for a base! I finally found someone more meticulous than me.

I think can reduce the number of steps. At the very least I can take out the one where I make a totally different base, decide it sucks, and toss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
With the new Grey Knights codex adding it as an option for the first time, I painted up an older metal terminator chaplain for myself:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin'

Nice mans. I like the understated armour with the splashes of red and chess boards. Good luck on your BAWKSES!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
A friend gave me a Bones Werewolf so I did a quick and dirty job on it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have a source or ideas for Christmas themed miniatures?

I was thinking of grabbing a few and painting them up for Christmas gifts.

So far all I've really found are Reaper's mouslings

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

Anyone have a source or ideas for Christmas themed miniatures?

I was thinking of grabbing a few and painting them up for Christmas gifts.

So far all I've really found are Reaper's mouslings

How Christmasy are you going? Reaper does have some modern-Christmas minis, but they also have about 5 that are specifically nativity related as order-on-demand on the website. (They even have a Krampus!)

e.: ...Okay, wow, that's a lot of their Christmas succubus, I see what you mean. Maybe sculpt some snowmen?

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 19, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

How Christmasy are you going? Reaper does have some modern-Christmas minis, but they also have about 5 that are specifically nativity related as order-on-demand on the website. (They even have a Krampus!)

To be honest "winterey" is probably close enough. I kind of want to shy away from Nativity stuff since I'm in the Midwest and everyone already has enough Nativity sets to kill a horse.

Christmas-themed succubi are not an option though. More of stuff that Grandma would approve of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Floppychop posted:

To be honest "winterey" is probably close enough. I kind of want to shy away from Nativity stuff since I'm in the Midwest and everyone already has enough Nativity sets to kill a horse.

Christmas-themed succubi are not an option though. More of stuff that Grandma would approve of.

Christmas-themed incubi, then?

:pervert:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/christmas-honey-badger.html
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/2009-holiday-tribute-santa-frog-and-tadpole-timmy.html
https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/albrecht-the-damned-christmas-edition.html

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

In that case, Reaper has enough generically-designed minis that you could probably get away with just xmas-ing up their color schemes.
Take this Bones elf wizard, for instance. That could easily be painted bright red, with white fur trim, planted on a snow base or diorama with some craft store pine trees. Druids (or this happy dude) can be done up like the Ghost of Christmas Present, etc.

Whatever you end up doing, you might consider posting your progress in the Oath Thread. November's challenge is weathering effects, and December's is building a special base or display board; both challenges lend themselves nicely to winter-themed stuff. Plus, you could win Valuable Prizes!

(Thanks for the suggestions, Avenging Dentist! I gotta remember to check on Dark Sword more often, they're just so pricy.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, Dark Sword has some rad minis, although they can be a bit same-y sometimes. Overall, I prefer their human sculpts to Reaper's, since Reaper's proportions are usually a bit off (which you don't really notice for monsters, thankfully).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did Warlord games take down all their articles?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

Did Warlord games take down all their articles?

I saw that they're starting some community engagement stuff on face book so it's possible that they took it down to mine it for material

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

I saw that they're starting some community engagement stuff on face book so it's possible that they took it down to mine it for material

Awesome. There's nothing like trying to search Facebook for an old post. It's so much easier than, say, going to a website and using a menu.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've painted hundreds of soldiers, dozens of vehicles of all shapes and sizes to what I consider a level of good quality at 15mm, but now that I'm starting 28mm I feel as if I've never painted before

How do I blend

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Phi230 posted:

How do I blend

For wet blending what helped me practice was to get a plain model base, and paint one half in one colour and the other in another. While both colours are still wet get a damp brush, and draw the paint in one direction from one half to the other "feathering" the edges (like using a duster). Repeat until happy.

Retarder mixed in paint will slow down the drying time as will medium, giving you more time to practice.

9 times out of 10 I find layering less of a hassle than wet-blending though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

richyp posted:

For wet blending what helped me practice was to get a plain model base, and paint one half in one colour and the other in another. While both colours are still wet get a damp brush, and draw the paint in one direction from one half to the other "feathering" the edges (like using a duster). Repeat until happy.

Retarder mixed in paint will slow down the drying time as will medium, giving you more time to practice.

9 times out of 10 I find layering less of a hassle than wet-blending though.

And layering is different from highlighting

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Phi230 posted:

And layering is different from highlighting

If you're layering a lighter colour over a darker one you're lightening an area, from my non-artist painting background I've always used the term highlighting to be a more targeted layer (or hard edge painting) of a smaller area such as the centre of shoulder pads/knees, or edges of armour plates, muscles, hair etc...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This is a pretty good wet blending tutorial, even if the presenter is... cringe inducing. Anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERX3ghWvMDw&list=PLC291692A667CD290&index=79

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I know this has come up before, but is there a recommendation for an inexpensive airbrush compressor, to get started with?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have a recommended brand of superglue with an applicator that isn't terrible?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a recommended brand of superglue with an applicator that isn't terrible?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Ultr...tite+super+glue

God's gift to hobbyists

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
That stuff is okay but you aren't getting a whole ton of glue for the cost. It's only one of the little syrettes with a bunch of plastic packaging that you have to hack open to use all of. Other bottled medium or thick CA tends to be more economical.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Funzo posted:

I know this has come up before, but is there a recommendation for an inexpensive airbrush compressor, to get started with?

I'd recommend a Master setup. If you get this one, you get a spare brush for basecoats and stuff. Once you really get into airbrushing, then you can upgrade, but this is a great setup for the beginning airbrush user.

Booyah- posted:

I use the Gorilla Glue Super Glue, and have no issues. If you really need to apply to a tiny join, use a toothpick.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

darnon posted:

That stuff is okay but you aren't getting a whole ton of glue for the cost. It's only one of the little syrettes with a bunch of plastic packaging that you have to hack open to use all of. Other bottled medium or thick CA tends to be more economical.

People pay for convienience and this bottle is convienience.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is a pretty good wet blending tutorial, even if the presenter is... cringe inducing. Anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERX3ghWvMDw&list=PLC291692A667CD290&index=79

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up some Crusaders for my Templars; I kinda blew out the whites in my lighting though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Buying a cheap starter compressor is s false economy. Get something like a sparmax tc610h.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oh great. Now I have an erection. Thanks.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

I feel like his name should be Joel. He is now Joel.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I bought a Airbrush Depot TC-20T off Amazon for ~100USD several years ago and its still going strong

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Funzo posted:

Master Compressor with tank is your cheap entry option.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

If this one bothered you don't watch his video on wet palettes

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

Master Compressor with tank is your cheap entry option.

That's what I seem to remember from past discussions.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Funzo posted:

I am just get started and got the following

Compressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Flow Improver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QD780G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cleaning Pot; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8NI5GA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I plan on getting a Patriot 105 airbrush once the price drops for the holidays, looks like it goes down to around ~45 from 80.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

goodness posted:

I am just get started and got the following

Compressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Flow Improver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QD780G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cleaning Pot; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8NI5GA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I plan on getting a Patriot 105 airbrush once the price drops for the holidays, looks like it goes down to around ~45 from 80.

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for the Badger price drop.
Incidentally, Noble Knight has flow improver and all the other stuff I've seen recommended here cheaper then Amazon. I don't know what their shipping costs are like though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Funzo posted:

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for the Badger price drop.
Incidentally, Noble Knight has flow improver and all the other stuff I've seen recommended here cheaper then Amazon. I don't know what their shipping costs are like though.

The flow improver is $1 cheaper on amazon with free 2-day shipping, and I can't find the cleaning pot on there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I bought a cleaning pot without a stand and I feel like the biggest sucker

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
My Patriot 105 has been very forgiving as an airbrush to learn on, and would recommend it. Also that pot with the stand has been invaluable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
People experienced with the citadel cracking texture paint, at what point are you covering the base with it?
I used it for the first time yesterday after finishing the model and it's so thick and lumpy that I ended up accidentally getting it on the feet and low hanging parts of the model which was a little frustrating.
Need to know whether I should base earlier in the process or just be more careful.