Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

This list murders things. It's a bit of an awkward formation to fly but it is hard to joust. You have 3 points to play with, which could be autothrusters on one a-wing, pattern analyser on Jess etc.

Yeah, that would be a mean list to joust against. My brain seems to meltdown if I fly 4+ ships around round 5 in a tournament.

Also, good luck at Nationals next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm not going :(

Sadly I have to stay in Melbourne and work all weekend. Even worse, a local store is running a tournament with prizes including shields and templates from the system opens on Saturday that they negotiated with FFG. 31 player cap and most of the sharks will be up in Brisbane for nats but I can't go.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Oh man, how did they swing that. The Adelaide shop gets decent turnouts would be nice for them to do the same.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm not going :(

Sadly I have to stay in Melbourne and work all weekend. Even worse, a local store is running a tournament with prizes including shields and templates from the system opens on Saturday that they negotiated with FFG. 31 player cap and most of the sharks will be up in Brisbane for nats but I can't go.

Ouch.

I really don't think there is going to be a good turnout at nationals. I'm sure they will run a good event, but having it in QLD at a place that is 2 1/2 hours away via public transport from the airport is just a bad idea.

In short, I think QLD public transport may be poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

What do you even pair that with

I went with:

Auzituck Gunship: •Lowhhrick (31)
Draw Their Fire (1)
•Jan Ors (2)

X-Wing: •Biggs Darklighter (26)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R4-D6 (1)

TIE Fighter: •Captain Rex (14)

T-70 X-Wing: •Jess Pava (29)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R2-D6 (1)
•Swarm Leader (3)

Total: 100/100

I completely forgot about DTF though Biggs lasted forever anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone gonna come down to Tulsa for the Regional March 9/10? They're doing two flights to get more people into that tiny store.

I'll probably sign up for the Friday Night swiss rounds.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
GUUUUUUNBOOOOOOAT
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/20/indiscriminate-devastation/
Sucks :(
Seriously: the second title: gain a missile and a torp slot, you can make missile and torp attack with WD against locked targets. TWO points.

Linked Batteries: ONE reroll with Cannon and Primary. TWO loving points.

EPT generic at PS4. 21 points, so you can't get it with a 2 point cannon and linked battery for under 25.

Saturation Salvo requires you to miss with a torp or missile. Woo? I get to do half a damage if my 4 point missile whiffs completely. THanks but I'll use an EPT that makes it DO loving DAMAGE.

Dial's fine but no k turn will make itt unwieldy to actually joust with. Turn-slam-turn isn't that useful from that perspective. Grand if you have a turret, not so great with an arc.

Only one 4 speed move and it's red, so utterly useless with SLAM.

Jamming Beam: Range 1-2. 1 point is the right price but no reason this couldn't have had the same range profile as tractor beam. It's a lot less devastating when used correctly.

I mean seriously, things have to be ludicrously good to do anything at top tier at the moment, so unless there's a MASSIVE nerf bat hovering over Miranda, Nym, Dengar, Scouts, etc, this is loving DOA.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 20, 2017

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

quote:

While your Star Wing in the XG-1 Assault Configuration has a weapons disabled token, its Title permits only the use of cannons with a squad cost of "2" or lower. These include the Flechette Cannon, Arc Caster , Tractor Beam , and the new Jamming Beam .

:thunk:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean seriously, things have to be ludicrously good to do anything at top tier at the moment, so unless there's a MASSIVE nerf bat hovering over Miranda, Nym, Dengar, Scouts, etc, this is loving DOA.

Well, this article does confirm the ASLAM nerf, so that's something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LanceKing2200 posted:

Well, this article does confirm the ASLAM nerf, so that's something.

Yup. I'm sure a NerFAQ is coming, I just hope the ASLAM one being the same as the leak doesn't mean the rest are. The leaked ones were all the right things to fix, fixed in the wrong way, and missed some MAJOR offenders, particularly Biggs.
E:

Deliberate mistake get

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm glad the ship isn't OP as gently caress (because that would be boring), but i'm almost more glad so many people are calling DOA before it even releases, just so I can see the tears of all the weird nerds who have been dying on the GunBoat hill for 3 years.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Second deliberate mistake: the dial they've linked as the Deci is actually the YT2400.

enigmahfc posted:

I'm glad the ship isn't OP as gently caress (because that would be boring), but i'm almost more glad so many people are calling DOA before it even releases, just so I can see the tears of all the weird nerds who have been dying on the GunBoat hill for 3 years.

I don't massively give a gently caress about the Gunboat, though I'm pleased to see it, I think it's cool and good.

I give a gently caress that Imperials are not moved any further out of the shitheap than they were before this announcement, and unless the FAQ is insane, nothing's going to change that.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 20, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It feels super good to see FFG designing ships without absurdly broken stupid poo poo built in. Finally some titles that cost points for new abilities. Though a 21pt EPT PS4 pilot is very undercoated, even for Imperials.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

alg posted:

It feels super good to see FFG designing ships without absurdly broken stupid poo poo built in. Finally some titles that cost points for new abilities. Though a 21pt EPT PS4 pilot is very undercoated, even for Imperials.

lol nah.

The Scout, that's loving undercosted. This is about right.

Just because every other Imperial generic except the Academy Pilot, Black Squad Pilot, and Glaive are stupidly expensive...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm gonna go against the trend and say I like this quite a bit. The SLAM action plus the ability to shoot even if Weapons Disabled is really powerful. And with all 2- and 3-speed maneuvers, this ship is gonna be really fast and really hard to pin down.

Major Vynder with VI, Cannon Title, Cheap Cannon, Linked Battery, and Advanced SLAM is gonna be rolling 3+ greens at any range, 3 reds at any range (with a possible additional effect), an offensive reroll, and one of any other action, all at PS9 for 34 points. That's an extremely mobile Imperial Ace with the health to survive bombs, the movement to dodge arcs (and sometimes outrange turrets), and the PS to make good advantage of it.

I'll fly the poo poo out of that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/01/b8/01b8a42e-9d2b-48f2-b4d5-65c8dcab9435/swx69-advanced-slam.png

And a mirror

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Yeah, I like the 'strike, slam away, reload, strike, repeat' feel of it. Much better then the 'fly straight at something then facefuck it' approach people want form alpha strikes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, I like the 'strike, slam away, reload, strike, repeat' feel of it. Much better then the 'fly straight at something then facefuck it' approach people want form alpha strikes.

This is literally what alpha strikes are though?

The whole point of them is taking something off the board as quickly as possible.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

This is literally what alpha strikes are though?

The whole point of them is taking something off the board as quickly as possible.

I know? I just mean this feels more fun than that. Your mileage may vary.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

enigmahfc posted:

I know? I just mean this feels more fun than that. Your mileage may vary.

The thing is alpha strikes make it impossible to play like that now. You can't fly away and reload when you're deleted in the first volley.

The broken bullshit's out of the bag and running rampant in the game now, it's a little late for FFG to show restraint.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ro5s posted:

The thing is alpha strikes make it impossible to play like that now. You can't fly away and reload when you're deleted in the first volley.

The broken bullshit's out of the bag and running rampant in the game now, it's a little late for FFG to show restraint.

That's what the next FAQ will hopefully address. Or they should just stop trying, i guess.

All i'm saying is the ship looks fun to fly and use. Not everything has to be competitive OP 'viable' or whatever. Frankly, i'll wait until the ship is released and played before condemning/praising it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I don't disagree. I'm looking forward to playing it at the FLGS, along with the Silencer.

But it'll stay in the box for tournament play unless something MASSIVE changes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Alpha strikes are just the reckoning of the sin of ordnance's design in the first place- it really would never ever be in the right place because it's so binary. I said it a long time ago that the only way ordnance would be good was if it was dumb.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I do like the little sidebar to the article that is all "Hey, we didn't plan well AT ALL and wave 13 was going to release before wave 12 so..............have everything at once! Will that work?"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think ordinance was supposed to be a multi-turn process. Spend one turn getting a lock, then spend another getting a focus. Problem being that if you do that, ordinance is real bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ordnance needed to be based around different dice, not more of the same ones.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm gonna go against the trend and say I like this quite a bit. The SLAM action plus the ability to shoot even if Weapons Disabled is really powerful. And with all 2- and 3-speed maneuvers, this ship is gonna be really fast and really hard to pin down.

Major Vynder with VI, Cannon Title, Cheap Cannon, Linked Battery, and Advanced SLAM is gonna be rolling 3+ greens at any range, 3 reds at any range (with a possible additional effect), an offensive reroll, and one of any other action, all at PS9 for 34 points. That's an extremely mobile Imperial Ace with the health to survive bombs, the movement to dodge arcs (and sometimes outrange turrets), and the PS to make good advantage of it.

I'll fly the poo poo out of that.

I agree. I'm kind of surprised people are writing this off as a bad ship already. Being able to slam and fire either torps, missiles or cheap cannon is a pretty awesome ability.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Raged posted:

I agree. I'm kind of surprised people are writing this off as a bad ship already. Being able to slam and fire either torps, missiles or cheap cannon is a pretty awesome ability.

Why tho?
It means you're faster, it doesn't mean you're any tougher (Vynder excepted) or hit any harder, and it has to pay for the privilege.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Raged posted:

Honestly makes me wonder if after the ASLAM nerf kicks in, we'll see an EPT or something that lets ships go back to the old implementation. "EPT: Bombs Away: If equipped with an ASLAM, after performing a SLAM action, you may perform a free action on your action bar, or on any equipped bomb card."

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This is really expensive and stupid. I like it stupid.

Rho Squadron Veteran — Alpha-class Star Wing 21
Expertise 4
Advanced Proton Torpedoes 6
Extra Munitions 2
Advanced SLAM 2
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout 2
Ship Total: 37

edit: I guess you don;t need EM with Reload. so 2 points less i guess. Slightly less stupid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, yes it is indeed stupid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Why tho?
It means you're faster, it doesn't mean you're any tougher (Vynder excepted) or hit any harder, and it has to pay for the privilege.

It allows for ace-type gameplay without automatically dying to the first enemy with bombs. Seven health behind 2/3 agility is good stuff, and they're cheap enough you can get the generics to shoot ahead of other low-PS alpha strikes. (Rhos are PS5, but Scouts are PS3, baby Skurrgs are less than PS5, and so on.

That's HUGE and exactly what the Imperials need right now. I don't think you'll see any all-Gunboat lists, and that's fine. But Vynder is gonna see play, and the generics may be used as filler.

I'm probably going to proxy this a couple times in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes.

Do we have any idea exactly what Jamming does yet? Because that could be huge, too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

Do we have any idea exactly what Jamming does yet? Because that could be huge, too.

The Jamming explanation came with the wave announcement article. It basically turns off the first Focus/Evade/TL the target gets, I think?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

The Jamming explanation came with the wave announcement article. It basically turns off the first Focus/Evade/TL the target gets, I think?

Oh yeah I remember that now.

I think that, like Tractor Beams, the fact that you cancel damage (instead of in addition to damage) will make Jamming Beams very situational.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Saturation and unguided rockets. I am doing something with that. I am now interested in flying imps, which is a first

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Then again swarms are pretty much alrwady dead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
At sone point I will buy enough Strikers to run a swarm with them

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If Tractor Beams did one damage, would they be more useful?

Also, has anyone ever made a successful TIE Punisher list? Seems unlikely.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If Tractor Beams did one damage, would they be more useful?

Also, has anyone ever made a successful TIE Punisher list? Seems unlikely.

It might see play if it did one damage.

I've been experimenting with Deathrain: Collision Detector, Bomblet, Unguided Rockets, LWF. It's not terrible and you can still get two other ace-types into the list.

Vader + Deathrain + 32ish points of Ace has been a lot of fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It allows for ace-type gameplay without automatically dying to the first enemy with bombs. Seven health behind 2/3 agility is good stuff, and they're cheap enough you can get the generics to shoot ahead of other low-PS alpha strikes. (Rhos are PS5, but Scouts are PS3, baby Skurrgs are less than PS5, and so on.

That's HUGE and exactly what the Imperials need right now. I don't think you'll see any all-Gunboat lists, and that's fine. But Vynder is gonna see play, and the generics may be used as filler.

I'm probably going to proxy this a couple times in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes.

Explain how it stops you dying to enemy bombs? You still have to shoot them from the same places.

• Locked thread