Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Good Place was absolutely amazing tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

X-O posted:

The first season was Garbage with a capital G. Can't speak for the second.

I've skipped around some of the episodes for the second season and it's been okay, I guess though I have a tolerance for terrible television. What turned you off of the first season?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Bosch is so good. Thanks to whomever suggested it like six months back.

You’re welcome. It’s one of my favorite shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished Slasher season 2. Has anyone else been watching? I thought it much better than the first season, though don't get me wrong, it's not high art.

I liked it, but not for the reasons I was expecting. I tend to like slasher films (and tv series) because they're kind of... well, not light or fluffy, exactly, but fun? They're thrilling, often batshit insane, the guessing game is fun, and you're generally guaranteed some great scenery chewing when the killer(s) are revealed. They're really thrilling experiences even when the likeable characters bite it. You know, because you're not really meant to care.

That's how the Scream movies (and the not great tv series) went, that's how Harper's Island went, and that's how Slasher's first season went as well -- but I ended up finding this season to be really, really depressing. The show's upfront about how unlikable most of the cast is meant to be -- they killed a girl five years ago and have returned to the scene of the crime in order to stop her body being discovered by oncoming land development. That's basically the first thing we find out about them. But when the characters start inevitably dying, there's little catharsis in it. Several of the deaths are really miserable and pointless -- there's one death in particular, mid-season, that's drawn out over so many episodes that any sense of catharsis you might normally have had is just erased.

I mean, I don't want to oversell this show as some sort of next wave marvel. It's still about a bunch of dopes who get trapped in a mountain cabin and suffer from a surprising number of coincidences and bad decisions. But I also think it's a lot more interested in ethics than I think slashers are, and there's some fairly subtle characterisation. And I was impressed by a few performances from people I'd never heard of before like Joanne Vanicola and Jim Watson.

(Also I was completely caught off guard by the reveal.)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Looten Plunder posted:

How much did you watch and to what degree did you like it? The show has certainly improved, but nothing drastic. If you fundamentally hated it, nothing will change that opinion. The whole "we are going to put a team in Vegas" storyline is completely ridiculous.

-They did a pretty interesting CTE storyline with one character
-They made the Rob Corddry character a lot more likeable who is now a pretty genuinely good guy
-They expanded the visibility of some good characters like Vernons stoner mate and "manager" (and they made the manager character less one dimensional)

None! I heard it had problems. I also love the Rock so I might check it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat latest Good Place was funny as hell. and Better Things is having an absolutely stellar season. I love TV!!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kierkegaard rap musical

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new Nathan For You is loving absurd. I mean, they all are, but this one has him recruiting people to give him their dead parents' ashes so he can intentionally pick up the wrong suitcase at the airport and have to wear a stranger's oversized suit from the suitcase he picked up with somebody's dead parents' ashes in a baggie inside the suit pocket and get pulled over by the cops while wearing the suit with the ashes in the pocket just so he can have a humorous story to tell when he went on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Like...the loving layers to this plan :lol:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would you mind not spoiling the entire plot of the episode in here? :)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I managed to avoid it by averting my eyes when i read "the plot of nathan for you", maybe you could try similar tactics?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those words in that order are nowhere in the post, and I'm a pretty fast reader so I got far into the post before even consciously realising. Also it's even easier to avoid if people use spoiler tags to talk about episodes that have only aired in *literally* the last 12 hours!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Echoing The Good Place love from last night, I was literally crying laughing watching it, probably the funniest episode of the show yet.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"TV-14 L...V? That's gotta be a mistake, The Good Place isn't the kind of show that merits a V content warning" I thought. Imagine my surprise at the insane amount of blood after the first test.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw I only just discovered the season of Red Oaks that premiered today is the final one. Guess I shouldn’t be at all surprised, as it never took off, but I dig spending time with these characters. Last season is only six episodes, too :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Good Place was absolutely amazing tonight.
It's been an amazing season.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

JethroMcB posted:

Imagine my surprise

I'll have to settle for imagining since you loving spoiled it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I guess there's no thread for it, but I'm still sad from Halt and Catch Fire ending.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched the season 2 premiere of Riverdale instead of The Good Place. I am an idiot. Riverdale season 1 is bad, but in a charming way that makes it fun to watch. That said if season 2 premiere was my first exposure to Riverdale I never would of watched another episode. It was just awful lovely TV

As a cord cutter with PS Vue, I am happy to discover that you can download apps like CW or NBC (which both are not on my PS Vue sub) to your AppleTV (or whatever you have), and watch shows when you want. It is like a DVR where you can't skip the commercials.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

On the flip side, Riverdale is loving great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought it was pretty bad. I watched season 1 on netflix on the back of all the goon praise, and it's pretty much another bog-standard CW white-kids-with-problems high school drama, except the characters have the names of Archie characters. Even the season arc mystery wound up lame as hell.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

raditts posted:

I thought it was pretty bad. I watched season 1 on netflix on the back of all the goon praise, and it's pretty much another bog-standard CW white-kids-with-problems high school drama, except the characters have the names of Archie characters. Even the season arc mystery wound up lame as hell.

Yes season 1 was bad. It felt like a failed attempt at trying to combine Archie with Twin Peaks. That said it was done so bad, that it was almost like they knew it was bad. Tongue in cheek. Also you had characters like Cheryl who vamped it up to 10. For me it was break from peak TV (it is the farthest thing from peak TV).

That said season 2 premiere, it just couldn't find it's footing on either side of the line. It tried to do a near death dream type sequence that just flopped on its face. See if you combine all that fake seriousness with a line from Josie & the Pussycats about giving away one of their 9 lives, it doesn't work. Also it was pretty boring.

Ugh who am I fooling it was crap last year, and I just pretended like it wasn't so I could have something dumb to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes but also instead, Riverdale is brilliant.

The series is absolutely tongue-in-cheek, but it's also not. It's the perfect pastiche. It's riding a razor-thin line of delivering well-written, full-on melodrama in a way that completely inhabits the style and the cliches of the teen genre, but also acts as an almost cartoonish commentary on the ridiculous nature of that melodrama. When it shows Archie having sex with his teacher it's not in someone's bedroom, it's in a perfectly lit Volkswagen Beetle in the middle of a torrential thunderstorm surrounded by school buses, and the scene is cut to while a girl gives a eulogy for her dead brother. At a pep rally. And when the teacher picks him up she's wearing heart-shaped Lolita glasses.

It's ludicrous, it's over the top, it knows exactly what it's doing, and it's perfect.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't know if I would say brilliant, but I like Riverdale a lot and the show very much knows what it's doing. It doesn't play on the teen soap genre as well as TP did actual soaps, but it's there.

I mean ffs this is a show where they cast Madchen Amick, and she is making or serving people pie in half her scenes. It's all those CW tropes cranked to 11 for a reason.

That said I can fully understand people bouncing off of it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This promo sums up Riverdale for me. It's loving ridiculous and bordering on pointless, but it's mesmerizing and beautiful and the absurdity of it kinda warps back around to being awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused a few people to loudly swear off the show, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0hu4XQzMoI

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Riverdale is really good at being the thing it's trying to be. Obviously anyone who doesn't like that thing isn't going to like the show. I feel that's a matter of taste, rather than quality.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Riverdale is really good at being the thing it's trying to be. Obviously anyone who doesn't like that thing isn't going to like the show. I feel that's a matter of taste, rather than quality.

Exactly. The show is exceptionally well made, they have a super solid cast and it's the most visually striking show CW has done so far. It's definitely a quality product, just not one for everybody.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

My bad, sorry. I figured it was as much as you would've gotten from seeing a promo for the episode, but maybe not.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Riverdale fills the True Blood-shaped hole in my heart. It is an incredibly arch soap that knows it is an incredibly arch soap, but rarely if ever winks at the audience. A show about high schoolers who aren't old enough to buy tickets to an R rated movie getting involved in absolutely ridiculous situations (i.e. Jughead Jones: Biker Gang President Pro Tempore; Veronica somehow getting tied up in shady multi-million dollar real estate deals) and treating them with unblinking life-or-death gravitas.

It is also about kind of clumsy Cover Girl product placement.

Guy Mann posted:

I'll have to settle for imagining since you loving spoiled it.

Apologies.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 20, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's like Gossip Girl on acid, and that's extremely my poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My bad, sorry. I figured it was as much as you would've gotten from seeing a promo for the episode, but maybe not.

Thanks dude, appreciate it. I do think we should maybe make it an official rule (which would make it the only official CC rule these days, iirc) to put discussion of episodes in spoiler tags for the first 1-2 days after they air? It's been happening a bunch more recently, including again on this page. But that's for OSG/muscles to decide.

Riverdale is total trash but yeah it's one thousand percent aware of it and excels at being ridiculous. I watched the first episode when it premiered and knew that 1) I'd never watch it again, and 2) it would be deservedly huge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it’s a general discussion thread like here, UK chat etc then things should be in spoiler tags regardless of when aired. The show specific threads have always been ‘if it’s aired, it’s fair game’ bar a few minor cases.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Riverdale's town drama is built upon an incestuous maple syrup dynasty and if that is not your poo poo then you should not watch it. It manages to somehow toe the line between innocent/edgy and serious/over the top without being... dishonest about what it is. Like in the hands of Ryan Murphy this show would fail in the most spectacular ways but it somehow doesn't.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 20, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression of Riverdale is its a trashy soap opera and it has fun being a trash soap opera and people who like trashy soap operas love it and people who don't don't. And there's some people who aren't entirely comfortable with the fact that they like trashy soap operas so they instead argue that they just like really, really, fine to the point of hard to differentiate satires of trashy of soap operas. And really, they should just embrace it and accept that they like trashy soap operas. Its ok.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I liked the first season but the second so far has been really boring in addition to ramping up the trashy soap opera so I'm probably gonna leave the rest until I have literally nothing else to do with my time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i liked season 1 of Riverdale a whole lot but i like really trashy campy things sometimes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There should never be anything wrong with loving a trashy soap, imho.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Good Place is killing me because it's so good and none of my friends watch it so I can't talk about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

There should never be anything wrong with loving a trashy soap, imho.

See also: True Blood

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looking back on it now, Six Feet Under is pretty much just a soap opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is related to TV but I don't want to spoil exactly how because it's insane and awesome, but you really should watch the short documentary on Netflix called Long Shot.

• Locked thread