Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

esquilax posted:

The DMG points you to the PHB crafting rules on how to create.

The PHB crafting rules require crafting tool proficiency, PC pays half price for cost of raw materials and gets 5 gold/day in value. So one dose of a cheap 150gp truth serum takes 30 days to craft and requires materials worth 75 gold. That's way too long from a gameplay or realism standpoint, so I like your idea.

You might want to let him find the recipe and 3 doses-worth of raw materials, that way you can maintain control over the rarity of the poisons - whether there is enough around to just find, or whether he can buy it in town, or if he can buy it in town with complications

Thanks for the ideas! I like that idea of keeping rarity. Something like material scarcity and/or a shelf-life on the poisons so he can't create a stockpile is likely what I'll do.

The player in question is super excited whenever he gets to use thieves cant to find other criminal persons so I'll probably have a clandestine dealer he can find to buy more raw materials or buy leads to find more specific recipes (like Jeffrey of YOSPOS' king-killer syrum).

I'm going to try to stay away from simple "you do +1d8 damage for x swings" because that's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

You literally spat out an idiotic copy pasted neo-nazi dogwhistle last page, did you somehow forget about that? You think we're gonna take you seriously as someone being TOTALLY intellectually honest? Really? You already showed your hand, man!
Yeah, the moment someone uses that phrase, I just kind of tune out anything else, because it's pretty clear any arguments aren't being made in good faith. They literally just said, "You don't really believe what you claim to believe, and just want to look good" and how do you hold a discussion from there?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hmm, very interesting.

Especially on the sorceror too. Apparently you can use metamagic to twinned spell booming blade too:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/28/is-is-possible-to-twin-spell-booming-blade/

Getting you your 2 attacks in a turn even without going up to level 5 in Paladin (albeit using a finite resource between long rests to do so).

Edit: although I guess you could quicken booming blade so you could still get 3 attacks if you get 5/6 into pally (quicken a booming blade after attacking twice)

I'll have to think about which race to go though, since I'd probably not want to start as a sorcerer since I'd be giving up heavy armor and would have to use a weapon i'm not actually proficient at level 1 in order to grab spell sniper off the bat. Maybe it's better to just close in to 5ft range until level 6 when I can grab it after level 4 sorcerer, grab sentinal off the bat for opportunistic reactions and stopping people dead in their tracks at 10 ft.

Though I will need war caster too at some point to cast this stuff while holding a shield so that's quite a few feats.

Theoretically you shouldn't need warcaster to use Booming Blade because the somatic and material components are the swing of a weapon.

Sorladin is a great choice but yeah it is rough with this particular build since you would start as a Sorceror and be locked out of the feat for a while. Plus the feats interfere with stat increases which this build will need. If you start Sorceror, consider starting as a Charisma or Dexterity boosting race. And of course it's just a great build in general if you're not trying to do fancy feat stuff like we are (since then you'd just start as a Paladin).

I think that's why, for this whipping build specifically, either straight Cleric or Cleric 1/Paladin 2/Cleric X is an easy enough path and will let you do what you want to do almost from the beginning.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Well I haven't been in this thread for two days, let's see whaHOLYSHIT!

WotC... what are you doing...?

Splicer posted:

If forty four warforged forge clerics forged fourteen forgery kits in one fortieth of a fortnight, how many forgery kits can fourteen warforged forge clerics forge in fourty four fortnights?

kingcom posted:

"Hey look we dont think sneaking into this town in blackface is really the best of disguises why dont you"

"WHAT, TRIGGERED MUCH, CANT HANDLE THINGS WITHOUT YOUR PC FILTER HUH!"

"Yeah so uhh Black Leaf falls into a pit and dies, you should probably leave"

"BLACK LEAF NOOOO! You cant make me quit the game. Please don't! Somebody Save me! You can't do this!"

Black Leafs Matter

Ok but seriously now, this stuff looks bizarre. In the year 2017 with everything going on that we've got, why would you make this?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Haggins posted:

Poisons seemed kind of worthless when I last played a rouge.

Makes sense, you have to ingest poisons, not just rub them on your face.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Thanks for the ideas! I like that idea of keeping rarity. Something like material scarcity and/or a shelf-life on the poisons so he can't create a stockpile is likely what I'll do.

The player in question is super excited whenever he gets to use thieves cant to find other criminal persons so I'll probably have a clandestine dealer he can find to buy more raw materials or buy leads to find more specific recipes (like Jeffrey of YOSPOS' king-killer syrum).

I'm going to try to stay away from simple "you do +1d8 damage for x swings" because that's boring.

What's the definition of poison in dnd? Is it 'potion, but bad'? Could it include a variety of other toxic chemicals?

Because you might be able to make some poisonous gas bombs, or thrown potions or powders (short range cone attack) that blind or make things hallucinate, cough uncontrollably, etc.

Or potions that increase performance of a thing for a short time but have longer term detrimental side effects / addictions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

Makes sense, you have to ingest poisons, not just rub them on your face.

I mean, that really depends on the poison.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Anything's poison if you've got enough of it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

kingcom posted:

I mean, that really depends on the poison.

Just imagine if the rouge picked the wrong one! They'd look pretty red on the face

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You joke, but... http://nationalpost.com/news/arsenic-lead-and-mercury-discovered-in-canadian-cosmetics-study

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Hi, i have to create my character for next week and there are some things i'm not sure about.

I was looking through the races and found the Aasimar, which seem to just be Diablo angel people down to a Malthael subrace, so i decided to just model my champ after Imperius because his cutscene in Diablo 3 was cool.

After looking through the options, i thought Scourge Aasimar Vengeance Paladin sounded the closest mechanics wise to what i was going for.

I'm not really sure how the backgrounds work, but the section on Scourge Aasimar said that they wear masks and hoods to contain their power and conceal their identity, so i picked Outlander because that passage reminded me of the Fallen Knight set from Dark Souls 3 and that background seemed closest to the lone wanderer searching for evil thing.

For the weapon i picked a Glaive because it seemed closest to Imperius's weapon, but i'm not sure if i should pick a second martial weapon or a shield. Is switching weapons in combat a thing?

I'm a bit confused on the stats. Searching 'paladin beginner guide' turned up a few posts with general advice, and they all said make Strength your highest stat. Looking in to the mechanics though, i don't really understand why i would do that though. Setting Strength to 15 doesn't seem to do anything compared to leaving it at 14. This is what i came up with from my limited understanding of the game mechanics. I could drop Constitution to 15 to up Strength to 15, but i can't figure out why i would want an odd stat value. Even when i get stat boosts at higher levels it's always +2 stats so it's not like making them odd will let me put an odd point in them later. Does loot you find have lots of +1 stats to tip you over? Am i going to regret only having 14 Strength seeing how i'm planning on being offensive oriented with the 2 hander and Vengeance oath? Picking the Fallen Aasimar subrace would solve this by giving me +1 strength so i could get to 16, but RPing Imperius is edgy enough, i don't think i could handle the full on angel of death Malthael thing.

Also, for later on is it generally better to increase my stats or choose a feat like Polearm Mastery? I don't really have a sense of how the game works mechanically.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but i couldn't find a dumb questions thread.

CJ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A paladin is a half caster, they can cast spells off of charisma, but not that many. Mostly they hit things, and to do that you need strength. You should start with 16 strength if at all possible or you're going to spend your turn saying "okay I don't hit the thing. And that's my turn."

If you go lower then get used to blessing yourself first, or casting magic weapon, but then you can't bane or any other concentration spell while you prop up your weak baby arms.

For feats, you only get them if they are integral to your whole idiom. You're giving up a lot by not bumping up strength ASAP. My paladin took resilient to have Dex proficiency in saves and I regretted the hell out of it. I missed like three hundred attack rolls, and made one dexterity save, in that time.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Krinkle posted:

A paladin is a half caster, they can cast spells off of charisma, but not that many. Mostly they hit things, and to do that you need strength. You should start with 16 strength if at all possible or you're going to spend your turn saying "okay I don't hit the thing. And that's my turn."

If you go lower then get used to blessing yourself first, or casting magic weapon, but then you can't bane or any other concentration spell while you prop up your weak baby arms.

How do i get it to 16 though? The table for point allocation in the book only goes up to 15.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CJ posted:

How do i get it to 16 though? The table for point allocation in the book only goes up to 15.

Pick a race that gets a +1 or a +2.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Saw this posted in the 5e Facebook group, it’s the table of contents for Xanathar’s Guide to everything.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, this is a phone post so it won't be pretty, but here we go.

Your background is fluff that also gives you some starting gear and a few skills and maybe a tool proficiency (you can add you proficiency bonus, which increases with your level to you dice rolls when applicable), so whatever you pick is fine.

You can switch what weapon you are using during combat, but it can take an action (which you would otherwise use to attack or cast a spell or the like), but the system isn't the most intuitive or well thought out, so it is up to your DM.

As for the stats, you can raise one stat by 2, or two by 1.

Alternately, you can get a feat, like Polearm Master, which let's you do unique stuff.

The way 5e is (sort of) balanced, a +1 won't make you an unholy killing machine, but every little bit does help. Personally, I would go for what seems the most fun/useful. If you regret your decision, ask if you can just switch. If the DM isn't a jerk they would probably let you do so, as a new player.

All that said, I've never been one to try to max out my stats because I just don't care that much.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with better advise sooner or later.

Lastly, there are no dumb questions when it comes to DnD. It is a not all that in depth simulation of something that can be very deep, depending on how the group tries to run it. I tried to get some friends to play a while back and was taken aback by how.mucj trouble they had with it. I've gotten used to thinking in DnD terms and it's not that alien to me, but that doesn't mean you need to be in a certain mindset and have the lingo and assumptions down.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah I want to clarify the paladin I made is very deliberately bad at fighting but good at peaceful charisma, I chose this, but you seem to be trying to recreate a bad rear end so probably you want to hit things. Mostly I regret choosing resilient instead of more charisma or grapple feat for better hugs.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah i was just wondering if i'd be able to buy items or something to make up the +1 instead. It seems weird to me that the literal angel people would make mechanically bad Paladins though. I might not be able to hit anything but at least i'll be able to go human torch on things. :unsmith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alternatively, if your GM is cool with it, just ask if it’s ok to bump your STR up a point and drop something else down one. End of the day, dnd is just some nerds sitting around a table agreeing to the rules of a game, so you can flex them a little if nobody cares (I’m currently dual wielding rapier + dagger, which is technically against the rules because rapier isn’t light, but I got permission)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CJ posted:

Hi, i have to create my character for next week and there are some things i'm not sure about.

Two odd stats is fine; your ASIs either pump one stat by +2 or two by +1, so they can be evened out, but there's seldom need for this with point-buy.

As has been mentioned before, optimally you want to leave chargen with 16 in your main combat stat, so in the case of Paladin you need a +1 or +2 STR race. But if you care more about race fluff than mechanics, 14 is fine (you need 15 to wear Heavy Armor). Not that fluff matters like, ever.

PAM is way better than +2 STR as it gives you a whole extra attack. It's the best Paladin feat, hands down. Pair it with the Defense fighting style you get at level 2 and you'll be in a good spot, and then just pump any ASIs you get into Strength.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ainsley McTree posted:

Alternatively, if your GM is cool with it, just ask if it’s ok to bump your STR up a point and drop something else down one. End of the day, dnd is just some nerds sitting around a table agreeing to the rules of a game, so you can flex them a little if nobody cares (I’m currently dual wielding rapier + dagger, which is technically against the rules because rapier isn’t light, but I got permission)

It's a school club that's based on the adventurer's league system so people can drop in and out and play with other people. They're pretty liberal about what you can use with Unearthed Arcana and stuff but i'm pretty sure they don't want people making up custom rules because it would be a pain in the rear end to keep track of, and i wouldn't want to be that guy anyway.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Are aesimar like the djinni people where there are six types and the whole problem is the thematic race you want doesn't have the +1 strength you need? Just take the skill points of the fire type who have +strength and the flavor of the whatever death type you want to be. It's fine.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Conspiratiorist posted:

Two odd stats is fine; your ASIs either pump one stat by +2 or two by +1, so they can be evened out, but there's seldom need for this with point-buy.

As has been mentioned before, optimally you want to leave chargen with 16 in your main combat stat, so in the case of Paladin you need a +1 or +2 STR race. But if you care more about race fluff than mechanics, 14 is fine (you need 15 to wear Heavy Armor). Not that fluff matters like, ever.

PAM is way better than +2 STR as it gives you a whole extra attack. It's the best Paladin feat, hands down. Pair it with the Defense fighting style you get at level 2 and you'll be in a good spot, and then just pump any ASIs you get into Strength.

Yeah, but from my understanding there is no reason to put my str/con to 15/15 over 14/16 because i'd just be missing out on the extra +1 to constitution bonus for my first few levels. Unless there is another way to get stat boosts other than ASI levels that isn't covered in the player's handbook, like loot. The other option would be to go 15/14/1 in something else, then pick up Heavy Armor Master at some point to even out the strength and get non-magic attacks reduced by 3. Again, i don't know if that is good or not compared to the extra con bonus due to lack of experience.

Krinkle posted:

Are aesimar like the djinni people where there are six types and the whole problem is the thematic race you want doesn't have the +1 strength you need? Just take the skill points of the fire type who have +strength and the flavor of the whatever death type you want to be. It's fine.

There are 3 subraces, each of them gets a different ability score increase and the ability to go super-saiyan for 1 minute per long rest. Protectors get 1 Wisdom and their ability makes them sprout Diablo-style angel wings so they can fly around and deal bonus radiant damage equal to their level. Scourge get 1 constitution and overload with energy, dealing radiant damage in a 10' aoe around them and deal bonus radiant damage with attacks each turn. Fallen are aasimar that betrayed their angel guide and turned evil, they get 1 strength and their ability makes them sprout spooky skeletal wings that fears everything around them and they deal necrotic damage on attacks.

Like i said i don't want to start mix and matching abilities from different races. I'm fine with being slightly suboptimal to fit the fantasy of the archetype. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't loving up by going 14 strength rather than 15. I'm curious why it's even on a 1-20 system then rounded down rather than just being 1-10 to be honest, it seems kind of silly.

CJ fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CJ posted:

Yeah, but from my understanding there is no reason to put my str/con to 15/15 over 14/16 because i'd just be missing out on the extra +1 to constitution bonus for my first few levels. Unless there is another way to get stat boosts other than ASI levels that isn't covered in the player's handbook, like loot. The other option would be to go 15/14/1 in something else, then pick up Heavy Armor Master at some point to even out the strength and get non-magic attacks reduced by 3. Again, i don't know if that is good or not compared to the extra con bonus due to lack of experience.

A reason to go 15/15 on STR/CON is that you need 15 Strength to wear the best Heavy Armor. You should be able to afford Splint easily enough and Plate by level 5, so it's important if you're going to spend your first feat on Polearm Master, as otherwise you're delaying Plate until level 8. That's pretty far away.

I wouldn't recommend Heavy Armor Master on a Paladin; you get too few ASIs. It also falls off fairly quickly, so it's more of a Fighter feat.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Haggins posted:

Saw this posted in the 5e Facebook group, it’s the table of contents for Xanathar’s Guide to everything.

I really thought they would have an update to the artificer in there. That is a little disappointing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gealar posted:

I really thought they would have an update to the artificer in there. That is a little disappointing.

To be honest they were busy with adding some pretty bad missing rules like falling and sleeping. Give Mearls a break, making D&D 7 or whatever is REALLY HARD.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 21, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They couldn't have reprinted the bladesinger archetype so I don't have to look at SCAG every time? I get that space is limited but come on...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They couldn't have reprinted the bladesinger archetype so I don't have to look at SCAG every time? I get that space is limited but come on...

They appear to have reprinted the most popular ones.

Gealar posted:

I think they said they were waiting for an Ebberon release for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bladesinger always seemed extremely strong to me but fair enough.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I loved the Circle of Twilight Druid, wish that could have made it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there any indication of what's definitely in the book, other than that table of contents? I'm not gonna argue about what might or might not be in, but SCAG's table of contents doesn't list "bladesinger" either. Also, it'd be a bit of a departure for the wizard to receive fewer options than other classes, and if you go by the TOC, xanathar's looks like wizards get fewer archetypes than any other class.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they said they were waiting for an Ebberon release for that.

Is Kieth Baker going to be involved? God, I hope so.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Is there any indication of what's definitely in the book, other than that table of contents? I'm not gonna argue about what might or might not be in, but SCAG's table of contents doesn't list "bladesinger" either. Also, it'd be a bit of a departure for the wizard to receive fewer options than other classes, and if you go by the TOC, xanathar's looks like wizards get fewer archetypes than any other class.
They explicitly said that wizards were only getting one archetype. "Everyone gets at least two except for wizards" I believe.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

They explicitly said that wizards were only getting one archetype. "Everyone gets at least two except for wizards" I believe.

Ok, didn't hear that, but fair enough I guess.

War Magic appeared in a UA article, right?

e: Yep, this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...otWjVuhocYsiSIU.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 21, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Ok, didn't hear that, but fair enough I guess.

War Magic appeared in a UA article, right?

e: Yep, this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...otWjVuhocYsiSIU.

From an interview about the War Mage, it appears that it's going to be focused on the abjuration and evocation schools. So likely some changes are coming from the UA version.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

From an interview about the War Mage, it appears that it's going to be focused on the abjuration and evocation schools. So likely some changes are coming from the UA version.

You should probably read the UA article, I think you might be surprised at what it contains.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Bladesinger and the SCAG cantrips wont be in XGE (is that a thing yet?) because of the PHB+1 limit used by AL and in internal play testing. If they reprinted everything in one book, that would always be the +1 and would lead to the most powerful combinations possible. I don’t agree personally with this as I think it’s a pain in the rear end to look through multiple books for cool options but I heard this from a reputable source who has playtested since early 5e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

You should probably read the UA article, I think you might be surprised at what it contains.

Only one of those features helps with Evocation and nothing there really makes you want to take abjuration spells. I know it says it's a blend for the features, they just don't lead to taking those spells. So I believe there will be a feature in the final release that makes taking those types of spells better for you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

Bladesinger and the SCAG cantrips wont be in XGE (is that a thing yet?) because of the PHB+1 limit used by AL and in internal play testing. If they reprinted everything in one book, that would always be the +1 and would lead to the most powerful combinations possible. I don’t agree personally with this as I think it’s a pain in the rear end to look through multiple books for cool options but I heard this from a reputable source who has playtested since early 5e.

I believe another reason is that stuff like Swashbuckler, Storm Sorcerer, Sun Soul and a few other subclasses were more setting agnostic. While Bladesinger, Battlerager and Purple Dragon Knight are mainly from the Forgotten Realms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only one of those features helps with Evocation and nothing there really makes you want to take abjuration spells. I know it says it's a blend for the features, they just don't lead to taking those spells. So I believe there will be a feature in the final release that makes taking those types of spells better for you.

Fair enough, can you link the interview you mentioned? I'd like to see what was said about it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

While Bladesinger, Battlerager and Purple Dragon Knight are mainly from the Forgotten Realms.

Is there something recent that makes Bladesingers mainly an FR thing? I know there was an FR novel about them few years ago, but bladesingers have been in D&D since 2e's Complete Book Of Elves (maybe earlier, but I can't find anything) in '91 or '92, and they were a generic elf thing in that, and I'm pretty sure that carried into 3.x too.