Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The revolution has begun comrade, come with me unless you want to spend the rest of your days in a collective hardcore bondage camp.

I did my time in a fraternity already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Less discussion of politicking more posting mans.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Artum posted:

Less discussion of politicking more posting mans.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
some info from the livestream

some idiot posted:

Shining Spears are down 6 points.
No Ynnari in the Craftworlds codex. Ynnari armies don't benefit from Craftworlds attributes.
Dire Avengers are now 12 points a model (same as Rangers).
New power Quickening, essentially Warptime. Pick a friendly Craftworlds unit within 18" pf the caster. It can move as if it were the movement phase.
Sounds like Guardians are the same cost (they discussed points costs for troop unit, said 60 points for base Dire Avenger and Ranger squads, Guardians are closer to 80 points (which is what they are currently).
Warlord trait on the Avatar allows it to target characters in the shooting phase even if they aren't the closest unit.
Biel-tan attribute affects all shuriken weapons in the army.
Warlord trait for +2 movement.
Webway strike stratagem allows between 1-3 Craftworld units to enter the battlefielf using normal deep strike rules.
Skystrike stratagem allows a unit with Fly to appear on the battlefield
Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.
Warwalkers now have an outflank ability
Swooping Hawk guns are now Assault 4 instead of Rapid Fire 2, still 24" range.
Swooping Hawks have dropped 4 points per model.
Craftworlds can field a brigade for "less than 1100 points now."
3 Dark Reapers are now ~80 points. Still have 3+ to hit regardless of modifiers in the shooting phase.
Relic: When this models dies, on a 2+ it causes D3 mortal wounds. If those wounds kill a model, the model with the relic remains on the table with a single wound remaining. Only relic the Avatar can take.
Phoenix Lords don't benefit or effect Craftworld attributes. Can be taken in any Craftowlrds army without messing up the detachment bonus.
New warlord trait: Puritanical leader: All units within 6" of the warlord auto pass morale.
Striking Scorpions down in points (didn't say how much).
"I saw a really nice comment on Reddit, actually..." Looks like they do browse the sub!
No big changes to Wraithknights.
Everything in the book benefits from the Craftworlds attribute. Hemlock Wraithfights of Alaitoc now have -2 to hit.
Nightspinners down in points.
Iyanden Warlord trait: At the start of the turn, roll a dice. On a 6, gain a command point.
Falcon Grav tanks down by 50 points.
Heavy weapons cheaper now.
Warlocks are 35 points.
Jain Zarr, all Banshees always fight first within 6" of her.
No changes to Storm Guardians.
Empower psychic power: +1 to wound rolls for a friendly unit.
6 Runes of Fate. Guide, Doom, Fortune, Mind War, (Asuryan's Willm Executioner possible other 2) 2 other they mentioned quickly.
"Harlequins and Ynnari will be in a codex at some point." Implied they'd both get their own codex.
Eldrad down in points plus some new lore.
Windriders are 18 points with shuriken catapults. 28 for shuriken cannons.
Ynnari rules packaged in the Triumverate box are the same as the index Xenos 1 rules.
15 points for scatter lasers
"Tyranids are a really, really interesting book! We'll talk about it in a couple of weeks ;)"

They must have misspoken about scatter lasers, I guess?

Warptime! hell yeah

Webway strike! hell yeah

Outflanking War Walkers, nice

Hawks got buffed? Whoa

Dark Reapers are... cheaper? Really? :thunk:

so are Scorpions, lol?

Falcons got a nice discount but are still just not worth taking

Hemlocks are -2 to hit and can cast Conceal? Alaitoc Hemlocks are -3 base? holy poo poo lmao

Heavy weapon discounts, hell yeah

my math says Windriders are 18 points, twin shuriken catapults are now FREE, and cannons are 2 points cheaper, 10 ppm now.

Holy poo poo

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

God this guy was a chore to paint.

gently caress white, even small amounts. Pretty pleased with how he turned out none the less, he's been pretty much an auto include since he pumped 3 wounds back into my outnumbered 15-1 captain in my game against Zark at the UK goonpocalypse.

This guy's fuckin cool. Great work man.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does anyone know if there's a guide online or maybe a book on how to paint 'eavy metal style? I'd really like to get better at my painting with sharp, crisp color divisions. Sometimes I feel like my shading it too drastic and I don't cover up enough of the wash.

There's been multiple 'Eavy Metal painting guides over the years, as well as tons of WD articles. You can find the painting books on eBay easily enough.

Finished up some Crusaders for my Templars; I kinda blew out the whites in my lighting though.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Hemlocks aren't -2 to hit, I think that dude heard wrong. Their debuff aura is now -2 Ld. Also they are cheaper

Reapers: 81 points for 3. launcher was 31 now 22

Banshees: masks deny overwatch, can advance and charge, +3" charge, can choose things 15" away to charge

Stratagems

webway assault: 1-3 CP to infiltrate
cloud strike: 1 CP vehicle deep strike

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The notes said Hemlocks of Alaitoc specifically, they were including Supersonic and the trait already. -2 is plenty.

Eldar bullshit train is pulling into the station, choo choo

SRM Templars looking good, is it 'post your awesome dudes' day today? Some quality stuff this afternoon in between the seminar in Marxism-Leninism.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Phyresis posted:

some info from the livestream

They must have misspoken about scatter lasers, I guess?

Warptime! hell yeah

Webway strike! hell yeah

Outflanking War Walkers, nice

Hawks got buffed? Whoa

Dark Reapers are... cheaper? Really? :thunk:

so are Scorpions, lol?

Falcons got a nice discount but are still just not worth taking

Hemlocks are -2 to hit and can cast Conceal? Alaitoc Hemlocks are -3 base? holy poo poo lmao

Heavy weapon discounts, hell yeah

my math says Windriders are 18 points, twin shuriken catapults are now FREE, and cannons are 2 points cheaper, 10 ppm now.

Holy poo poo

I’m looking at all of this and my eyes are boggling. Like, index Eldar were clearly a little weak and not ideal for any sort of tournament meta, but I was managing to have fun in 2k points games. I can’t wait to recalc my latest 2000 point army and see how many “free” points I get. I’m guessing at least 2-300 based on what’s written here.

Index swooping hawks were great. They always died, but usually took their points cost with them and caused some havoc. Now they’re cheaper and better.

My banshees are almost certainly coming back to the table in two squads of five - if they’ve kept acrobatic they’re absolutely absurd overwatch suppressors/unit tie uppers with advance and charge. Also, lol if banshee mask on the autarch gives him overwatch proof.

I think I’m going to have to attempt to extract the shuriken cannons from at least some of my bikes too - twin catapult bikes are so goddam cheap I want options. At baseline, I expect to switch to running 2 cannons plus 1 catapults per squad and use the cheapo catupult one as a flak shield.

I suppose I could just buy another box of bikes. Hmm. Hmmmm.

Also - friendship ended with partially assembled night spinner turret. Now fire prism sprue is my best friend (or maybe magnets).

Biel Tan Bad Bois Brigades incoming. I want to see if I can do a brigade + battalion with the Avatar, then keep resurrecting him indefinitely.

I am hyped. So very hyped. Put up the pre-orders GW.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neat, sword brother rickets always stood out as an odd sculpt in the old veterans set.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

One_Wing posted:

I think I’m going to have to attempt to extract the shuriken cannons from at least some of my bikes too - twin catapult bikes are so goddam cheap I want options. At baseline, I expect to switch to running 2 cannons plus 1 catapults per squad and use the cheapo catupult one as a flak shield.

I'd wait for proof before you do this, it's possible that twin catapults still cost points and they just forgot to add them in? But it does make sense to make them free throughout the Codex, idk

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Wow. As discussed above, I was a bit optimistic about Craftworld traits, and cautiously going to try the price-cut rangers. My mainstay unit is windriders. At 30 points for twin catapults they were a liability, but holy hell, 18pts? Good enough to overcome the inherent silliness of a mobile firepower unit with 12" range. 30pts with shuriken cannons is still drat good, especially given they can get an intrinsic re-roll 1s or a -1 to hit.

I also have 20 Corsair models, mostly with lasblasters. Could definitely use those as swooping hawks. Can't wait to see the full picture.

I have no desire to buy much more Eldar stuff anytime soon, but people have already picked up on flyers stacking -2 to hit, or some of the psychic stuff. I'm sure Eldar will be back to pissing people off hard.

Between the varying Craftworld traits and things like windriders being 60% the cost while Storm Guardians, a contender for all time chump unit through multiple editions, remain completely unchanged, it's really driven home that for all the guff about playtesting this edition, GW still have no idea at all.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Phyresis posted:

I'd wait for proof before you do this, it's possible that twin catapults still cost points and they just forgot to add them in? But it does make sense to make them free throughout the Codex, idk

Don’t worry, I’m holding off on doing anything rash until I’ve seen words on paper in front of me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

gently caress. Yes. Swooping. Hawks.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Most importantly: whats the new Eldrad lore? Is he re-deaded?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Most importantly: whats the new Eldrad lore? Is he re-deaded?
They basically retconned all the old 13th Black Crusade fluff so he's still alive. :geno:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I am literally a member of CPUSA so nazism isn't really my jam

Anyway before I get cool scions I want to get Victoria Lamb valhallans

I think I might use the Victoria Lamb trenchcoat guardsman and some Pigiron heads to make some Equilibrium-style baddies Inquisitorial Troopers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think I might use the Victoria Lamb trenchcoat guardsman and some Pigiron heads to make some Equilibrium-style baddies Inquisitorial Troopers.

Oh man, that sounds pretty awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Oh man, that sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah there are a few options. I really like the FW Hazard Environment tops, or I could go full trenchcoat legion.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah there are a few options. I really like the FW Hazard Environment tops, or I could go full trenchcoat legion.

Trenchcoats own.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And the Inqusition ARE the stylish branch of the Imperium.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
So, deathguard have to be expecting another release wave surely? The space marine codex dropped all the models which you couldn't actually assemble from a box, they wouldn't then expect players to kitbash a manreaper Lord of Contagion or a Blighthauler right?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Tiger Millionaire posted:

So, deathguard have to be expecting another release wave surely? The space marine codex dropped all the models which you couldn't actually assemble from a box, they wouldn't then expect players to kitbash a manreaper Lord of Contagion or a Blighthauler right?

In the last white dwarf in the DG development article its states one of the sculptors has worked on another big DG unit that hasn’t been released yet, plus we are loving dying in wait for the blight haulers! Seriously I need 3 of those cute cover save making demon Bros ASAP!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Here they are with basing:

They're not really done, I have some cleanup and still need decals but it's done enough for me to field them tomorrow.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I was going to take some time off from moving into our new house, but a faulty washing machine spigot dumped like 60 gallons of goddamn scalding water into my kitchen; in trying to staunch the flow, I burned, scraped, and sprained my hands, so no working on mans at all for a while. Your posts of painted dudes sustain me by proxy in the meantime.

And gently caress tankies.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Posting mans

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lol all the “communists” in here eating each other without provocation.

Capitalism now, capitalism forever. Suck my gilded hole.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

ro5s posted:

Posting mans

I usually dont care as much for DG in green but the bone trim really makes them stand out. Me likely.

Edit: and the red guns are a nice classic look

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

panascope posted:

Lol all the “communists” in here eating each other without provocation.

Capitalism now, capitalism forever. Suck my gilded hole.

Figures.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

panascope posted:

Suck my gilded hole.

Your hole is tarnished brass, at best.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Geoff Zahn posted:

I usually dont care as much for DG in green but the bone trim really makes them stand out. Me likely.

Edit: and the red guns are a nice classic look

My old 28mm ones started out with standard metal trim, but when the dinobots came out I like the idea that they were overgrown with flesh/bone and painted the trim that way, luckily it suits the new Plague Marines pretty well.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOT-PTzfFIA

Phoenix Lords do not interfere with a Detachment gaining the Craftworld attribute. Ynnari do

more than half of the units AND weapons in the game have gotten a decrease in points cost:

Dire Avengers: -2
Howling Banshees: -3
Striking Scorpions: -4
Warp Spiders: -4

Crimson Hunters: -23
Crimson Hunter Exarchs: -48
Falcon: -49

Farseer Skyrunner: -24
Night Spinner: -20
Spiritseer: -22

Vaul Support Weapons Battery: -47 (shadow weaver +4 vibro cannon +10)

Eldrad: -30
Baharroth: -10
Karandras: -18
Maugan Ra: -19
(the other Phoenix Lords have received discounts as well, they are just very minor and he skips them)

War Walkers: -11
Vypers: -14

avenger shuriken catapult -2 (this makes the total cost of Dire Avengers 13 ppm, not 12. maybe he misread)
d-cannon -5
scorpion's claw -8
singing spear -8
starcannon -15
twin scatter laser -13
twin shuriken cannon -7

twin starcannon -32

(I don't think these are all the point changes)

Holy poo poo

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey so yeah, Draghon Fall Day 1, Fight For Taros Narrative Tourney:

I brought the following mans, doomed to get butt kicked.

First fight was against traitor guard. I deleted several units but at the end of the game only my taxticals were left and I lost by 1 objective point.

Game 2 was against Admech. I got shot off the board.

Game 3 was a grand melee. I killed some orcs, I lost some tacticals to Mortarion. That model, in person, is really great. Bobby G is just meh in person. Redemptor dreds are nice in person.

As I predicted to my wife, there was one close game and 2 games where my army would be entirely outclassed.

In the end I got a medal for "theme". This equates to "I like jump pack troopers so much that I don't give a gently caress about the competitiveness of my army...

I'm OK with that.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 21, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Scatter lasers are down 5 points to 10
Fire Prisms are 3 points cheaper
Wraithblades' ghost axe -5, forceshield -2 (45 ppm now but still meh imo, i prefer the blender loadout)

1CP: fire serpent shield twice in a turn
2CP: when Infantry or Fly unit is chosen as a target in shoot/fight, -1 to hit them
2CP: Tears of Isha - start of turn, select a wraith construct model, it regains D3 lost wounds
2CP: start of first battle round before turn has begun, redeploy up to 3 Craftworld units (normal deployment, transports bring their contents)

Warlord Traits

Alaitoc: as long as all friendly units within 6" of your warlord are Alaitoc, they automatically pass morale
Biel-Tan: pick a friendly Biel-Tan unit within 3" and reroll all hits
Iyanden: warlord can deny 1 enemy psychic power, if psyker +1 deny
Saim-Hann: whenever warlord powers in or HE they can move 3" to the nearest enemy character rather than nearest enemy model, in addition if they target that enemy character with all cc attacks +1A
Ulthwe: if army is battle forged the warlord is on the battlefield, roll a D6 at the start of your and your opponents turns, gain a CP on 6

Relics

Phoenix Gem: the first time this model is slain, roll a D6 for each unit, friend or foe, within 3" of this model. on a 2+ that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds. if at least one MW is inflicted in this way, this model is not slain, lives with 1 Wound remaining
somebody's Wings: 12" move, fly
Spirit Stones of something: Biel-Tan psykers only. can reroll any failed psychic tests. if they fail the second time they can't attempt to manifest psychic powers that phase
Shift Shroud of somebody: Alaitoc infantry. -1 to be hit by shooting, can "deep strike" to deploy in any of your turns
Biel-Tan (? i believe one of these is Saim-Hann) get a fancy sword, AP-3 D2
Ulthwe psyker hat: +1 to psychic tests
Shimmerplume of something or somebody: Autarch only, subtract 1 to all hit rolls that target this model. ALL
a bunch of dumb weapons as normal

Ghosthelm ignores perils MWs on a 2+ now

Fire Dragons are the same
Wraithguard are the same except models with D-scythes roll the random number of hits individually, making them more consistent
When Warp Spiders use their warp generators to Fall Back, they can still shoot that turn. also they can "deep strike" at the end of any of your movement phases, have to do the generator check (1 model dies on snake eyes)
War Walkers traded their scout move for outflank
Wraithlords gained +1A (we already know about +1T)
Vaul's Wrath Support Batteries are now called "Support Weaponry." They gained a Wound and vibro-cannons fire D3 shots now, up from 1, and do a flat 2 Damage. Also if they wound a unit that unit cannot advance during your opponent's next turn unless it can Fly.
Hemlock Wraithfighters are a bit cheaper, and their guns are S12 now up from S10. It can only manifest the second half of the one Runes of Battle spell it learns. This is obviously to prevent Alaitoc Wraithfighters from having -3 to be hit.
Wraithknight heavy wraithcannon is now Strength SIXTEEN. The other loadout is 35 points cheaper

there's some good psychic power changes, Enhance is 18" radius now, there's protect/jinx for armor saves

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

In the end I got a medal for "theme". This equates to "I like jump pack troopers so much that I don't give a gently caress about the competitiveness of my army...

I'm OK with that.

A man after my own heart. Have you done anything with company veteran? I'm looking a putting a few squads with storm bolters, power axes and jump packs together.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Last chance if anyone else wants me to grab them a Primaris Captain. Shoot me a PM.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

A man after my own heart. Have you done anything with company veteran? I'm looking a putting a few squads with storm bolters, power axes and jump packs together.

I just built a 5 man company vet squad with jump pack, storm shield and melta guns together. Only used them once, but they deleted a repulsor (and 6/10 Intercessors inside) on the first turn. A+ would field again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Time to have a go at refurbishing this Ravager...

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

I just built a 5 man company vet squad with jump pack, storm shield and melta guns together. Only used them once, but they deleted a repulsor (and 6/10 Intercessors inside) on the first turn. A+ would field again.

This post confuses me because the 8th edition codex doesn’t seem to say jump packs are an option for company vets.

EDIT: In fact, I can’t find a single unit that can equip that combination of gear. Company vets can’t take jump packs, vanguard vets can’t take meltas, and assault marines can’t take storm shields.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 21, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
huh.

Ulthwe's thing seems way better once you realize it applies to everything in the list. Vehicles, fliers, wraith constructs.

I'm used to either IH's limited to infantry and dreads, or the admech one that only worked on the last wound, so i wrote it off.

edit: Blood Angels veterans can take jump packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Stephenls posted:

This post confuses me because the 8th edition codex doesn’t seem to say jump packs are an option for company vets.

EDIT: In fact, I can’t find a single unit that can equip that combination of gear. Company vets can’t take jump packs, vanguard vets can’t take meltas, and assault marines can’t take storm shields.

Blood Angels per the index