Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

IANASO (I am not a store owner) but it seems to me like a move that won't necessarily cause too many problems for stores. Warcasters/locks and solos are cheap enough to be impulse buys for customers most of the time, and units/warjacks/beasts are stuff customers might like more than one of, but tt's seemed to me that colossi and gargs are at real risk of occupying shelf space for a while. Sea King is awesome and I plan to grab one next time I roll around to Trolls, but my current local shop has had FOUR of them sitting on its shelf for what seems several weeks now, if not a few months. You could argue that maybe it was a risk for them to get four and they really should have gotten 1-2, but having 1-2 $100+ items sitting for weeks doesn't seem great for a store either.

I do think the plan should have been sold better to retailers though. It's just a little weird seeing Wyrd Games go "buy brick and mortar! We will send you free poo poo if you buy brick and mortar! We will pack in free poo poo if you buy brick and mortar!" and their decision to not do presales on Black Friday and Easter (and limiting Gencon presales), and then watching PP's initial discount policy change, their flip on it, and now their direct order announcement. Very different approaches to retailer interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

!Klams posted:

Anyone know what the best way to sell off an army is in the UK? There's a Facebook group, but nothing ever really seems to move there. I wanna sell out the cryx I don't really play anymore to pick up some new Merc stuff.

What all do you have? Drop me a PM

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I was about to get all salty as well, because even shipping to Canada gets pretty pricy. The free shipping with pre-orders is nice though. I do understand why they did it. I bought a Galleon 50% off because it was sitting in the shelf for at least a year.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Suppose as long as stores can order something an sell it there its not so bad.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Speaking of that Dracodile, I really hate the way the scales on the arms and legs just come to an abrupt stop at the body.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
At least it's resin, so no more fuckups like with the hydra's scales.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

As someone who works at a store, keeping huge based models in stock is a loving nightmare and this doesn't bother me even one little bit.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

S.J. posted:

As someone who works at a store, keeping huge based models in stock is a loving nightmare and this doesn't bother me even one little bit.

Glad to hear it from a game store employee. I know that my lgs has had the same denny3, 2 wraith engines, and 2 krakens since I started playing.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
As a european who will have to pay taxes on importing these, along with shipping costs when I don't preorder (confirmed by PP on Facebook), it bothers me a lot.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Luebbi posted:

As a european who will have to pay taxes on importing these, along with shipping costs when I don't preorder (confirmed by PP on Facebook), it bothers me a lot.

Same.

Add a potential 20-40 bucks fee on top of that because of the lovely postal service here in Denmark and it's just getting way to expensive.
I was super excited to start messing around with Gatormen when all their new stuff is coming out, but this is just really putting a damper on my desire to play the game at all.

This sucks.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

chutche2 posted:

At least it's resin, so no more fuckups like with the hydra's scales.

I'd wait to see if they don't gently caress this up first before saying this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So I won't be able to order the colossals/gargs through my LGS, just direct? No LGS discount, horrible shipping cost unless I order right now, plus potential tax/customs fee and parcel damage? Nah gently caress it, I better drop my prices to get rid of this stuff before it's completely abandoned.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, here in France we already had Victoria Games as local publisher, notable for both their lovely translation and straight $-> € price conversion, so I don't know if that's much worse.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gilljoy posted:

What all do you have? Drop me a PM

Sent you a list

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I don't know what the right answer is for these new giant models. It seems like the options are make a $200+ kit and sell to wholesalers/retailers, or make a $100-$150 kit direct only, or not make giant models? Or I guess use inferior materials for a lower price point?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

GoodBee posted:

I don't know what the right answer is for these new giant models. It seems like the options are make a $200+ kit and sell to wholesalers/retailers, or make a $100-$150 kit direct only, or not make giant models? Or I guess use inferior materials for a lower price point?

For the specific bind PP is in, where sales are down and they need to cut cost and maintain quality to not make nerds mad this is the least bad option for everyone involved. It will piss off the online retailers and a bunch of store owners (and a bunch of nerds anyway) but it lessens SKU bloat and means they dont over produce the most costly stuff. It's probably the correct choice even if it rubs some the wrong way.

However, if they gently caress up production by using the lovely material they've used a couple of times now for their huge bases then we are going to have a real issue. It worries me a bit that Dracodile costs only 110 bucks, honestly.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
huge bases are kind of neat but there are way too loving many of them

E: all huge bases should just use the storm raptor rules so they would stop hitting the table

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
After themeapalooza settled I barely see any Gargossles hit the table any more. At the latest tournament I went up against a Galleon and that was it. I think one person had a Conquest and the other had a Stormwall. So 3/31 players.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Excelsiortothemax posted:

After themeapalooza settled I barely see any Gargossles hit the table any more. At the latest tournament I went up against a Galleon and that was it. I think one person had a Conquest and the other had a Stormwall. So 3/31 players.

I basically entirely stopped using my earthbreaker, but am now using my siege crawler with the same ubiquity.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Not sure if this has been talked about before, I've been away from the game for a while, but are trencher long gunners just straight up better than normal long gunners? I know reg long gunners are 2 points cheaper,but I'm trying to build a Kingmaker list and can't see any reason to take regular long gunners anymore.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Neither are particularly considered good, but yeah, TLG are definitely less bad.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I need to find buyers for my skorne and menoth before this game finishes collapsing

We've actually gotten a small surge of activity here lately as former mk1 players have taken the game back up but I doubt it'll last

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

chutche2 posted:

Yeah I need to find buyers for my skorne and menoth before this game finishes collapsing

We've actually gotten a small surge of activity here lately as former mk1 players have taken the game back up but I doubt it'll last

I almost had a buyer for my ret at like 33% retail but then he backed out :(

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I got to play Gyrmkin for the first time today (Heretic Bump) and it was cool and good. That's my story.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I finished Elias today. I think this is definitely the fastest turnaround time between a model's release and me buying it and painting it. I need to work on my lightbox lighting setup though; this was a pain to get.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Finally got around to finishing this battle boar kicking around my painting table for like a year.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

That glow effect fuckin rules

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This belongs to a local and I love it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That’s some good poo poo. I love Reaper Gade and there was another one where someone modded Di Wulfe in Sheeps clothing to be a moogle.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All the pics on this page are v good and cool

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I am riding my momentum on finishing Gade to finally tackle another Errant. I might even do my whole second unit of Errants next week or something

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

S.J. posted:

Would watch that Dr. Doom movie in a minute.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

S.J. posted:

Exemplars: No sense of right and wrong.

I've really not played any Warmachine in the last few months because of starting student teaching which is stressful in its own right. 8th Edition of Warhammer came out and that's a pretty good beer and pretzels game (cause gently caress playing in tournaments) so it was nice to get my Imperial Guard out for a bit. I was also waiting for the themes to sort themselves out since it feels like the direction Privateer Press wants to go in general.

Well, A teaching buddy was like "Grading is done. You got your plans. Let's go be battlebros at a tournament." and off I went not really caring what happened. I half debated just conceding my games on turn 1 and playing for fun, especially if my opponent was really gunning for top spot. It was a good turn out with about 12 people showing up with plenty of folks having the same mindset. Some coming back from enjoying 40k or just finally finding the free time to get out to a tournament. It was a good vibe in general.

I'm really glad I did not concede cause I ended up winning the whole thing. I went 3-0 with my Skorne! I think I was most shocked of the bunch finding myself at the winner's table with a bemused, "Wait really?"

I ended up taking two Disciples of Agony lists cause I basically packed my bag and built the lists in the car. Adding Gator Warbeasts to Skorne casters is kind of silly. pMorghoul with a pair of Wrastlers, a Sentry and a Gladiator took up a pBaldur with all stones and still cracked them with ease. A enraged, abused Wrastler with Fury up all ripped Megalith apart with 2 fury to spare and torn into a poor Warden with the remaining fury. The Sentry really appreciated the Fury animus as well.

Xekaar with the Blindwalker and a Shaman has access to two arc nodes and that just makes getting Mortality up so much easier. He was able to hang back enough to not get murdered as well. The Blindwalker was a big pickup for him and its another shield guard for his old man stats. His feat is always great but really nice to get those Wrastler's to Def 15. Really helped me brick up in a different way.

I used Brigands with a Warlord and a Task Master in tow for good effect. The +2 Strength is nice but the no-knockdown aura is just the best thing ever. I had one hero piggie take two hits from the Mountain King without dying, preventing a really nasty Killshot for hitting a bunch of solos. It helped that I failed like maybe 5 tough checks the entire day. My dice were on fire. The Brigands preyed a Khador Gun Carriage and drat near shot the thing off the board, but were able to charge it afterwards thanks to Hog Wild and end it (after which they moved the prey to a Marauder and torn its Cortex out with 3 extra charges I had. They were just there to tie it and maybe chip the paint!). They may be easily one of the best infantry units in the game.

Bloodrunners getting the option to Ambush is fun too. I did not use it every game but they were able to use to jump and murder a bunch of Winterguard in one game and rip into a Krielstone Bearer unit in the next. They are just a really useful distraction unit in general.

I wish I had some pictures but It was nice to take out my Skorne and try the new gator warbeast theme out. Not as many free points as some themes but a Blindwalker here or a Wrastler there made all the different in the world.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I think there might be an interesting defense skew list for Helga in WWFF

https://conflictchamber.com/#cb201b_-0Pevfy0M1d1dbHbO4kfF4jbF752N

Minion Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Will Work for Food

(Helga 1) Helga the Conqueror [+29]
- Battle Boar [7]
- Gun Boar [9]
- Road Hog [16]
- Road Hog [16]
Dahlia Hallyr [17]
Gatorman Witch Doctor [0(4)]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [0(4)]
Swamp Gobber Chef [1]
Viktor Pendrake [0(4)]
Wrong Eye [17]
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (max) [19]
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew [2]

The goal here is to layer defender's ward and starcrossed in whatever way will most benefit you, most likely on either Nyss or Skarath for the full starcrossed defense 16 experience. I'm not sure about the best choices for battle group and solos. Hopefully I'll be able to test it some more next week.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Hay guise warroom is broken. Looks like the company of iron patch came out but the game wont go live until tomorrow at 1 PST. So, right now warroom is bricked. OOPS.

I wanna try CoH though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm really excited for CoI but I'm hesitant to buy the box just yet because in one of their CoI streams they mentioned/alluded that the book, cards, and tokens would be available separately but there's no confirmation about it anywhere that I've seen. I mean, at some point I suppose another unit of Stormblades would be ok but I don't really need that right now and I'm not looking to get into Farrow so a cheaper means of entry would be pretty rad.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I'd say sell the farrow to a Skorne player interested in the new theme. Presuming your local second hand market isn't as dead as mine.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 25, 2017

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The last live game stream of CoI they announced the rules and stuff would be free online and you could get the cards print on demand through DriveThruRPG going live with the release.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I bought the box but that’s only because I wanted the two solos and the units of brigands and Stormblades.

From my calculations I get the solos for free so I come out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Well CoI patch is out. Would like to get eyes on a rulebook but it isn't integrated into the app yet. Cards cost an additional in app purchase of $3 per faction or $20 for all. Notable that the app allows custom point games so full 75 pt games are possible but probably pretty dumb. Below are some lists I tossed together:

Company of Iron Army

Cryx - Rude

25 / 25 Army Hand Size: 5

Guerilla Fighter - Commander Upgrade

Hellslinger Phantom - Commander - PC: 7

Pistol Wraith - PC: 5
Machine Wraith - PC: 2

Blackbane's Ghost Raiders - Blackbane & 5 Grunts: 11

---

Company of Iron Army

Cryx - Cryx Boomspam

25 / 25 Army Hand Size: 4

Master Strategist - Commander Upgrade

Bloat Thrall Overseer Mobius - Commander - PC: 6

Bloat Thrall - PC: 4

Bile Thralls - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15

---
Company of Iron Army

Cryx - Some Thralls?

25 / 25 Army Hand Size: 4

Master Strategist - Commander Upgrade

Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Commander - PC: 4

Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Skarlock Commander - PC: 3
- Brute Thrall - PC: 2
Carrion Thralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6

---

Certainly will be easier to pack for game night if this catches on at all.