Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

poe meater posted:

Which version should I get? Starter? Starter plus Year 2 Pass? Standard? Year 2 gold edition?

Im not sure how easy it is to upgrade.

Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Never buy the starter edition.

It is always a bad deal.

If you like what you see then maybe consider getting stuff like the year 1 or 2 pass for the operators but never ever buy the starter.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You can't upgrade from Starter to Standard. It is a bad deal. I bought Starter and then spent like $45 just getting the base ops. It's an absurdly bad deal.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
old stuff. if you're bored check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk3-O48uWtk

nothing really specific just some discord dudes dorking around

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azran posted:

You can't upgrade from Starter to Standard. It is a bad deal. I bought Starter and then spent like $45 just getting the base ops. It's an absurdly bad deal.

Back when Siege was a $60 game, that is basically the upgrade. Now, it's a ripoff.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/news/152-303559-16/dev-blog-ping-abuse-peekers-advantage-and-next-steps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wow, a good post by Ubisoft. :ohdear: When is the kickstarter to fight off Vivendi takeover?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What does that mean in simpleton? They're reducing the perceived delay?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This .gif belongs to OP, imo.

Flipswitch posted:

What does that mean in simpleton? They're reducing the perceived delay?

A few things are added:

1) Server assistance for people playing in match with players that have jerky network connection.
2) Direct reduction of "inherent server lag".
3) Accurate ping display.
4) Network connectivity warnings.

So, partially that, and partially reduction of the actual delay, as well as more information for players. Very nice changes overall, the shield solidification thing too.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

poe meater posted:

Which version should I get? Starter? Starter plus Year 2 Pass? Standard? Year 2 gold edition?

Im not sure how easy it is to upgrade.

Do not get the starter edition. There is no upgrading. They just make you buy RainbowBux to buy operator packs.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Comeback time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJHO8MYhu8

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaXRAKGH-8

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I like these ping changes, especially the increased feedback for network issues. Developers make their game way too opaque sometimes, and things like connection problems really need to be communicated to players. I appreciate the UI/UX changes they've been making.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I just wrote like a thousand words about how bad u-play sucks and about how I couldn't get matched into a game for two weeks because of my "strict NAT." Luckily for me my better judgement kicked in and all I have to say is "HARD, your game is pretty cool and you should keep making it but you should tell the engineers that work on U-Play that they suck and should all find new jobs."

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

exactly why i'll welcome any nerfs to her main weapon :allears:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

having enough dudes in your group for a team v team custom game is just the best

https://streamable.com/gq01l

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

In the game that I learned proneing underneath your breaching charge kills you I came back next attack round and somehow got a breaching charge kill. Perseverance baby

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I just wrote like a thousand words about how bad u-play sucks and about how I couldn't get matched into a game for two weeks because of my "strict NAT." Luckily for me my better judgement kicked in and all I have to say is "HARD, your game is pretty cool and you should keep making it but you should tell the engineers that work on U-Play that they suck and should all find new jobs."

Psh, until you know the horrors of Fairpoint tech support you don't get to complain about strict NATS

I had a router that made it a massive in pain in the rear end to change settings on it due to the router trying to use default settings that would revert themselves if not applied in exactly the right way. So I called up tech support, got them to give me instructions... until I told them I needed to change port forwarding.

"We don't support port forwarding."
"What do you mean you don't support it, I'm in the menu right now and I'm just having trouble applying the settings."
"It's not a feature we support."
"It's not something you have to do on your side, and you guys are able to help me set up other things on my router so I'm not understanding you I guess."
"We don't support port forwarding, sir."
"Ok I understand the words that you're using, but you're trying to tell me that I'm unable to use a basic feature on a router and will be unable to use my internet that I pay you guys for, for basic things. I just need to know why it's not saving settings properly."
"Sir, port forwarding is not supported by us."
"It's not you guys that forward my ports, it's a setting on my router.
"Sir I'm sorry for your frustration, but we do not support that. If you're going to get angry I'll have to place you on hold."
"I need to speak to somebody else right now please."

So I get through to a manager and he's able to explain to me that while Fairpoint does not "Support" port forwarding, they have an Enhanced Technical Support 3rd Party Provider! that can provide help me. For a cost. Of like $5/minute.

Of course, I was between a rock and hard place so I figured... I'd just call back the next day and make up some issues with my router and get them to send me a different new one free-of-charge and was able to instantly fix my strict NAT settings.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Ok just got the game and played a few matches. Pretty cool game, I like walling people.

What operators should I start with? I have Ash, iq, mute and the barbed wire guy.

What happens if the RC cars run into mutes box? Do they blow up or something? Radius seems small

poe meater fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 20, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poe meater posted:

Ok just got the game and played a few matches. Pretty cool game, I like walling people.

What operators should I start with? I have Ash, iq, mute and the barbed wire guy.

What happens if the RC cars running into mutes box? Do they blow up or something? Radius seems small

Car stops until the mute box is destroyed or removed. Then it resumes working.

Your operator pick is pretty decent as is, congrats! Consider Jager, Thatcher, Smoke, Thermite, Sledge, Castle.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there any way to move silently? Im assuming crouch walking makes noise.

Offense seems pretty tough especially in pub matches. Is it skewed in favor on one side or is it map dependent in pro games?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poe meater posted:

Offense seems pretty tough especially in pub matches. Is it skewed in favor on one side or is it map dependent in pro games?
There's no way to move absolutely silently, although you can move quieter (but slower) if you hold Alt. Offence/defence balance is fairly spot-on in the game as such, but it can be tough on maps/spots particularly reliant on teamwork and knowing what to do.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

poe meater posted:

Walking and crouching both reduce noise significantly. You are never completely silent unless you're walking with Cav's silent step however it is very difficult to hear someone walking unless they have a shield.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

one of the best tacticool strategies is to do a jig until op4 puts their ear next to the wall and then breach with your shotgun

an operator that can manipulate sound is inevitable imo as its one of the best parts of this game

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tech Guy, who carries rolls of soundproofing foam.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Quote isn't edit, it turns out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

defense operator who lays down carpets

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

defense operator who lays down carpets

On the walls, introducing the Azerbaijanian operation.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Ok cool. Next question, which class has the machine gun with tons of ammo? I want to spam the poo poo out of walls. I'm assuming someone has a ammo pack deployment.

Can you damage people through metal? Is this nonsense viable?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poe meater posted:

Ok cool. Next question, which class has the machine gun with tons of ammo? I want to spam the poo poo out of walls. I'm assuming someone has a ammo pack deployment.

Nothing has an ammo pack deployable. From cheap operators, IQ has tiny machine gun and Fuze has a classical one. You generally can't damage people through metal.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Glaz can shoot through several metal objects.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Glaz can shoot through several metal objects.
He and laggy explosives are the edge cases.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Along with random doodads that can or cannot be fired through, seemingly at random. Like that wooden coat rack in cigar lounge on Kafe. Did they fix that yet?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

poe meater posted:

which class has the machine gun with tons of ammo? I want to spam the poo poo out of walls.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nothing has an ammo pack deployable. From cheap operators, IQ has tiny machine gun and Fuze has a classical one.

IQ and fuze are my 2 most played attackers largely because i was obsessed with LMGs as they're generally fun as hell

if you like the russian beltfed machinegun then you might like Capitao. he gets a legit SAW and is 3 speed. they nerfed the poo poo out of it though because running around like ash/iq with 100 rounds to shoot before reloading was pretty blatantly op.

IQ's lmg is more like a rifle (think BAR) and if you want more of that then maybe check out Ying's because its basically thr middleground between them all.

really though capitao and ying are lesser picked of the dlc operators so wait until you get a good feel of the base characters before deciding which of the newer ones to get into. they're all good though, but if you are spending huge amounts of renown to unlock them then you will want to have an idea of what kind of gameplay you want to focus on after grinding your way there.

this is why i just went ahead and bought the season passes. it lets you focus on spending your renown on more important things, like clown masks and chibis.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

poe meater posted:

Fuze is the guy with the LMG that you can just hose things down with while laughing and also you can put a silencer on it for some reason which is Kool because you can hose down walls without leaving tracers

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

and when the LMG gets boring you have an AK or can even bring a shield if you want.

Fuze is one of the best early unlocks because of this.

generally anyone with traps is good to unlock asap because as you level up and start to encounter more experienced players they won't be fooled so easily and it forces you to be really creative to be effective with them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Thief posted:

and when the LMG gets boring you have an AK or can even bring a shield if you want.

Fuze is one of the best early unlocks because of this.

generally anyone with traps is good to unlock asap because as you level up and start to encounter more experienced players they won't be fooled so easily and it forces you to be really creative to be effective with them.

Is Fuze not supposed to be able to use his gadget on the 2nd floor of Plane reliably? A lot of the times it goes through but sometimes one puck sits right below your heels and it sends you to hell. It's happened to me and I've won a match recently because the last fuze boned himself

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Penpal posted:

Is Fuze not supposed to be able to use his gadget on the 2nd floor of Plane reliably? A lot of the times it goes through but sometimes one puck sits right below your heels and it sends you to hell. It's happened to me and I've won a match recently because the last fuze boned himself

That's a bug, presumably. There's a couple other locations in the game that have that problem (in the security room floor on Border, for instance). I want to say at some point it wasn't broken but I never really fuzed from server on Plane all that often to be honest.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

LMGs own but I kinda feel like IQ and Ying need another mag. They're the only operator weapons I've felt a bit tight on when it comes to ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The only get more ammo if Ela gets another 50 rounds in her gun and tactical short shorts

• Locked thread