Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uhm. Please don't use me for a vehicle for arguments like that.

Their points are just as valid as mine.
I like your take on this, just wanted to say that.

Mirage posted:

Also getting tired of people starting a sentence in their thoughts and never finishing them. "But if he -- maybe I can -- !!"
this can be laid directly at the feet of the translators. It's a classic pitfall of weeb-style translation, where you're trying too hard to keep the Japanese feel to it when it's exactly the sort of thing that needs localised.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
On the plus side at least this creepy parental figure of a girl named Eri* isn't going to stick around for half of the manga and bring it down

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Everyone just needs a dual IV, one of Eri's blood and the other of Bone Hurting Juice and then suddenly the UA kids are invincible

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scholtz posted:

Everyone just needs a dual IV, one of Eri's blood and the other of Bone Hurting Juice and then suddenly the UA kids are invincible

Lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how brutal this fight is about to get. Eri's powers are giving Deku an excuse to go all out against a guy who can blow your limbs off with a single touch.

Predict, Deku will lose his leg at least three times in this fight.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Turns out Horikoshi was just preparing for a round of ultragore.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
MHA is really good and this arc is also good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't really minded this arc at all - Horikoshi's illness bouts would make this pacing mediocre. And I do pray that this isn't the start of a kishimoto/kubo trend.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The good: 100%, Eri deciding she's had enough, VA hijinks

The bad: Overhaul is still a nobody, Eri hasn't really said much, Ochako and Froppy didnt do much on screen, showdown got needlessly bloody most likely as an excuse for Eri to do her thing, overall pacing

Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped up for next week. But this arc has just been a weird one. I do not like Overhaul, but I also don't feel like I really know him yet. I'm not worrying about where Eri goes from here...yet.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Brandfarlig posted:

The worst part of this chapter was the Froppy fanart.

yeah i gagged a little

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat this guy just go super sayian !

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Overalls turned into Gaara of the Sand and Deku responded by unlocking the ancient power not seen in this world for 10,000 years...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I, for one, am very excited to see somebody get kicked or punched very hard. I bet I will be very impressed by how hard someone is punched or kicked.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think this arc is bad, but it does feel a bit rushed and not as well thought out as MHA tends to be. Might be because of health issues, or just wanting to advance plot a bit too fast. Vigilantes has been more consistent lately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Eri, much like all young children in fiction, is super lame

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
boobies

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hope Kohei takes a vacation after this, the idea of this arc is great but the execution is definitely slipping. This chapter had better art/shading than the last twenty or so.

I mean, Deku is getting Back to the Future'd out of existence while simultaneously fighting a monster with a kid on his back. That's a seriously metal setup for a fight, but all anyone is taking away from it is "O MY REWIND QUIRK".

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
My takeaway from this chapter is that her rewinding is out of control and causing him pain, unless he destroys himself faster than the rate she is rewinding.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

UchihaHirou posted:

My takeaway from this chapter is that her rewinding is out of control and causing him pain, unless he destroys himself faster than the rate she is rewinding.

Yeah, it's actually quite metal (and neatly means she can't yet go heal people).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku is finally getting to weaponise his skill at destroying himself that he has taken great efforts to move away from and improve.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I was really into everything about this arc until the Kirishima fight, which is where I started to feel the burn, and it's only slowed down since then.

And for the record, Red Riot Unbreakable was probably the hypest stuff in the whole arc. Mirio was cool too but I already felt a little checked out at that point so it probably didn't resonate with me as much.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I felt the opposite where after the Kirishima fight I felt the arc was starting to pick up. VA got introduced and finally introduced a villain element I liked, Shigaraki got to grow as a leader and trust his team, Mirio was really cool. Things were looking up. But Overhaul's still really boring and i'm just not into this fight.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I felt the opposite where after the Kirishima fight I felt the arc was starting to pick up. VA got introduced and finally introduced a villain element I liked, Shigaraki got to grow as a leader and trust his team, Mirio was really cool. Things were looking up. But Overhaul's still really boring and i'm just not into this fight.

Yeah I like the VA a lot too (and in particular I like Toga and Twice) but that was also in the middle of a fight that I didn't feel all that attached to because I could barely parse what was going on in it.

A lot of the times in this arc I've been thinking about how much easier it might be to follow in animation.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've been enjoying this arc a lot since the operation started. The timing of Kirishima's flashback was weird, but overall that fight was fantastic.

My only big complaint is that Tsuyu and Uraraka didn't get a good fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the span of time between the va showing up and deku breaking through the wall to where mirio and overhaul were fighting was great. before that felt too slow and after has been pretty contrived thus far, plus two of the most important characters (eri and overhaul) have had very little characterization yet

I don't like that eri is the dende to deku's vegeta right now when so much has been put into the idea that destroying yourself is stupid and shortsighted, but there is a good arc in here somewhere and hopefully the anime fixes some of the pacing issues and gives the new characters more time to breathe

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The oddest part of this arc is how dangerous a mission it is for students. Why would you send high school students into the HQ of the country's most dangerous mafia? Especially when you know the leader's quirk is to explode people by touching them. Where the hell is Endevour and the other pros? Why did it fall on a high school teacher and a PI with laser pens to take them on?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh, this whole operation has been a bigger failure for the pros. It's one thing to take licensed newbies into the fray, it's another for everything to rest on the newbies' shoulders. I know, shonen, but it's still just ridiculous how useless the pros have been in the clutch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also the casualties the hero side has taken.

3 students beat to poo poo, 1 pro mildly stabbed, 1 beaten up, 1 mortally wounded.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My guess is they'll rationalize things as "by the time Eri learns to control her quirk properly, Deku etc will be fully grown adults and the comic will be over." As is, she can only allow him to use 100% full cowl when directly in contact with him, which obviously isn't practical, and it doesn't seem like she could control things enough to heal Nighteye, All Might, or Mirio (though she could serve as a future hope for Mirio getting his quirk back).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah lockrock is badass with a badass power it blows he got decomissioned near instantaneously

I wonder why :thunk:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Radish posted:

Yeah. Even the Villain Alliances sections were odd and didn't make 100% sense. I think this arc could have used some trimming and make Overhaul more interesting instead of fleshing out Mirio's buddy that we haven't had enough time to really care about and Kirishima could have had his moment and back story somewhere else.

Now that Eri is 100% able to undo wounds on people I'm going to be curious how the story writes that she isn't taken to fix All Might immediately. It better be decent and not some dumb "I won't accept this because my time is past" nonsense.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Deku isn't a fetus right now is because he's constantly breaking himself into dust at about the same rate that she's reverting him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like you guys are being overly critical of the arc that gave us Best Boy Mirio Togata and by extension PHANTOM MENACE, but that’s just me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

I feel like you guys are being overly critical of the arc that gave us Best Boy Mirio Togata and by extension PHANTOM MENACE, but that’s just me.

Agreed.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Mirio's part has been a very high point in an otherwise kinda weak arc. All the elements of a really good story are here, but what we got feels like an unpolished outline. The Mirio chapters were extremely, extremely good, and I think a lot of that is because those chapters seem to be what this arc was written to make happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mirio is the coolest and I love him and all his scenes have been great and him inspiring Eri and showing her what true heroism is the most i've brought into the characters this arc is about. Unfortunately there has been chapters where he hasn't made an appearance. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Deku finally gets to go super saiyan.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This arc certainly had good parts and characters--but it somehow ended up as less than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

UchihaHirou posted:

Wait what

Isn't it the opposite? He's using 100% full cowl and when she lets go it hurts because he's breaking himself.

So he carries her on his back so it doesn't hurt.