Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's my link if you want to start a chain:

https://refer.discover.com/s/ri4aj

Signed up under you, here's mine:
https://refer.discover.com/s/qupjd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
http://refer.discover.com/s/quprd

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Credit Card question: I recently got the Chase Sapphire preferred, and must have screwed something up when I applied because my card has my name followed by an MD, ie 'John Doe MD'. I am not a medical doctor, so I must have accidentally typoed the card application. Does this mater? If it's irrelevant, I'm not gonna bother trying to fix it but if it matters I'll go through getting it fixed.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quandary posted:

Credit Card question: I recently got the Chase Sapphire preferred, and must have screwed something up when I applied because my card has my name followed by an MD, ie 'John Doe MD'. I am not a medical doctor, so I must have accidentally typoed the card application. Does this mater? If it's irrelevant, I'm not gonna bother trying to fix it but if it matters I'll go through getting it fixed.

I'd recommend getting your card fixed ASAP to be on the safe side. You'll probably also have to check in on one or more of your credit reports - once the bank reports that name to the credit bureaus (maybe with the hard pull and/or maybe when the new account gets reported after a statement or two), it can get attached to your report.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got a mailer for a promotion the Barclays Commence is doing (its the re branded Sallie Mae card).

$10 bonus cash back each for October, November, and December if you spend $1,500 each month. $50 bonus on top of that if you hit $1,500 each month. They really want people to use their lovely card I guess.

That's not even 2% back...

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
What are meaningful differences that would sway somebody deciding between something like citi doublecash and the newer paypal 2% mastercard?

This seems irrelevant to me as somebody already happily using one of the two but I guess if somebody were thinking about which to use in the future?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

waloo posted:

What are meaningful differences that would sway somebody deciding between something like citi doublecash and the newer paypal 2% mastercard?

This seems irrelevant to me as somebody already happily using one of the two but I guess if somebody were thinking about which to use in the future?

The paypal mastercard would mean you'd have to deal with paypal, which is arguably a pretty big downside.

Double Cash only lets you redeem once you have iirc $25 in rewards saved up, which can be a hassle if you're not using it as your primary spend card at the time.

Citibank's IT is notoriously bad. Aside from some of the stories I've heard, I've personally run into situations where the correct password was pasted straight out of a password manager manager only to be rejected as a failed login, but then it'll work a minute later. One time it wouldn't let me login on my primary browser (regular or private windows, cookies cleared, nothing), but it would let me login with a secondary browser. Once it wouldn't let me log in on any browser, with no message indicating downtime or anything - just that the information I provided wasn't correct.

I'd still choose the DC over the Paypal if I had to make the choice.

e: oh I should mention one of the best citi IT stories which, as far as I know, still holds true: say you have a credit card account, and you later decide to get a citi checking for a while and link it to the same account. if you close the citi checking, it closes your online account because why would you want to access your other citi products, right?

astral fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 9, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

astral posted:

e: oh I should mention one of the best citi IT stories which, as far as I know, still holds true: say you have a credit card account, and you later decide to get a citi checking for a while and link it to the same account. if you close the citi checking, it closes your online account because why would you want to access your other citi products, right?

This happened to me 3 months ago.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Amazon has a promotion for your Amex MR points: 20% discount on "Sold by Amazon" products if you use MR to pay for any part of your order.

Essentially, just use 100 Membership Reward points for your order and save the rest of your points for a better future redemption.

amazon posted:

Note, offer eligibility will vary. Offer valid through 10/23/2017.
1. Click here to see if you are eligible for this offer

2. If eligible, add items shipped and sold by Amazon to your cart

3. Select your American Express Membership Rewards card as your method of payment and use any amount of rewards points.
Click here if you haven't linked your Amex card to your Amazon account

4. 20% discount will be automatically applied to qualifying items w/ a maximum benefit of $50.

Shipping is free with Prime or if you spend $25 or more.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 10, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm happy with my credit union's rewards card, but I'm looking for a 2nd for infrequent, surprise or large expenses. Would I be looking for a basic low-interest card? Any suggestions on that front or should I be looking at something else? Credit Karma is pitching me the Capital One Venture One card.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've always heard good things about the Discover IT from a churning perspective. A colleague got me to sign up for one back in 2013 and I never activated the card. I just received my replacement card as the previous expired so could actually register my account. What is the best promotion / use for this card? Would it be better if I cancelled it and signed back up for it at some point or are the signup bonuses either not that great or I'm ineligible since I currently hold the card. Is there a time period I need to wait to be eligible again?

Appreciate any feedback. Bit of a weird situation, but want to get either the most out of it or get rid of it altogether.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

lowcrabdiet posted:

Amazon has a promotion for your Amex MR points: 20% discount on "Sold by Amazon" products if you use MR to pay for any part of your order.

Essentially, just use 100 Membership Reward points for your order and save the rest of your points for a better future redemption.

I signed up for this and also got invited to a similar, targeted $25-off-$50+ order offer when I tried to check out.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm happy with my credit union's rewards card, but I'm looking for a 2nd for infrequent, surprise or large expenses. Would I be looking for a basic low-interest card? Any suggestions on that front or should I be looking at something else? Credit Karma is pitching me the Capital One Venture One card.

Ideally don't use a credit card to finance things.

That said, the Venture One shouldn't be signed up for directly; if you're set on that specific one, sign up for the Venture and product change after a year.

If you know a large expense is coming up (or you know your next 3 months' chargeable expenses will be over $4,000), I'd recommend you try to get a card that would give you a good ($400+) signup bonus to offset some of the cost involved. An easy recommendation is something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It has an annual fee that is waived the first year and gives you a signup bonus for the equivalent of $500 (if redeemed for cash; $625 if redeemed via their travel portal, or you could transfer the points 1:1 to one of their airline or hotel partners) back on $4,000 in spend. Not to mention, if you have a family member with the card, you could and should sign up under their referral to give them an extra $100 worth of rewards points, making the benefit that much greater. After the first year, you do what's called a Product Change to a no-annual-fee card like the Chase Freedom (rotating 5% categories, 1% on everything else) or Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% back as points [worth at least .01 each] on everything) so you'd get to keep the account open to improve your credit score.

TraderStav posted:

I've always heard good things about the Discover IT from a churning perspective. A colleague got me to sign up for one back in 2013 and I never activated the card. I just received my replacement card as the previous expired so could actually register my account. What is the best promotion / use for this card? Would it be better if I cancelled it and signed back up for it at some point or are the signup bonuses either not that great or I'm ineligible since I currently hold the card. Is there a time period I need to wait to be eligible again?

Appreciate any feedback. Bit of a weird situation, but want to get either the most out of it or get rid of it altogether.

You missed the boat on the first-year cashback match (every cent of cashback you earn during the first year is doubled at the one year mark), but there are occasionally some good Discover Deals and you should at the very least be taking advantage of the 5% quarters. The current quarter has 5% back at Amazon and Target - you do have to manually activate the 5% each quarter though, but it's a single click.

Discover's Cashback Bonus is good because in addition to redeeming it as cash or a statement credit, you have access to a library of discounted gift cards that give you at least an extra $5. For example, you could get a $50 gift card to a specific restaurant using only $45 of your cashback. While it's true that gift cards sometimes go on sale for similar prices, it's convenient that you don't have to worry about that.

Sometimes they'll have featured offers where you can get a $25 GC for only $20, too.

You might even try calling in (to the US-based customer support!), explain the situation, and ask if you're eligible to get a year of Cashback Match, which would make it all the sweeter.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For anyone interested in the chase sapphire preferred rental car coverage, I rented a car using loyalty points from hertz back in may. I used the CSP to hold the reservation.

Upon driving out of the airport, I rear ended someone. Minor damage, my fault, the other driver drove off after seeing his old chevy had no damage.

I called my insurance and chase as I was under the impression that my insurance would pay the bulk of the damage and chase would cover the $250 deductible.

After submitting all the paperwork, a few months pass. My insurance didn't pay anything toward the accident (I don't know why), but chase covered the entire ~$1600 worth of damage to the rental car. No phone tag, nothing. Just submit paperwork and they handled it all. After the accident, I just returned the rental, so I only paid about $6 on the CSP because I had used points to book it.

That kind of coverage and service is worth the $95 annual fee.

E: I should also mention I spend about $40k per year on the CSP.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It should be noted that the rental car coverage from the CSP is collision-only, not liability.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep. I don't mind grabbing the liability, since CSP is covering the car. I hope to never have to use it, but it's a very nice perk.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

E: I should also mention I spend about $40k per year on the CSP.

Is that all travel/dining? If so, you should definitely consider switching to the CSR. If not, you should shift some of that unbonused spend to a Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% back as UR (or Freedom if it aligns with the rotating categories for 5% back as UR). Points are transferable between the cards, so you get to move them over and use them with the enhanced points-spending/transfering power of the CSP (or CSR).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

astral posted:

Is that all travel/dining? If so, you should definitely consider switching to the CSR. If not, you should shift some of that unbonused spend to a Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% back as UR (or Freedom if it aligns with the rotating categories for 5% back as UR). Points are transferable between the cards, so you get to move them over and use them with the enhanced points-spending/transfering power of the CSP (or CSR).

Mostly travel/dining as I travel for work. Unfortunately, I'm way over 5/24 and my wife doesn't want to open any more cards. Maybe I can tell her the benefits though. Thanks for the info!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

astral posted:

Ideally don't use a credit card to finance things.

That said, the Venture One shouldn't be signed up for directly; if you're set on that specific one, sign up for the Venture and product change after a year.

If you know a large expense is coming up (or you know your next 3 months' chargeable expenses will be over $4,000), I'd recommend you try to get a card that would give you a good ($400+) signup bonus to offset some of the cost involved. An easy recommendation is something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It has an annual fee that is waived the first year and gives you a signup bonus for the equivalent of $500 (if redeemed for cash; $625 if redeemed via their travel portal, or you could transfer the points 1:1 to one of their airline or hotel partners) back on $4,000 in spend. Not to mention, if you have a family member with the card, you could and should sign up under their referral to give them an extra $100 worth of rewards points, making the benefit that much greater. After the first year, you do what's called a Product Change to a no-annual-fee card like the Chase Freedom (rotating 5% categories, 1% on everything else) or Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% back as points [worth at least .01 each] on everything) so you'd get to keep the account open to improve your credit score.

$4000 is above my head. I was thinking like $1000 tops, maybe 2K but very unlikely. I'm not interested in churning. I'd be doing term loans otherwise for those large amounts. My credit score is in no need of improving as its already where I want it and as far letting family members use cards, hell no.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 11, 2017

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Are you sure the discover cash back match is over? I still saw it offered when I looked tonight. I was planning on applying later this month so I could get 2 years worth of bonus for amazon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

$4000 is above my head. I was thinking like $1000 tops, maybe 2K but very unlikely. I'm not interested in churning. I'd be doing term loans otherwise for those large amounts.

There are some cards in that range - mostly airline/hotel cards (United, Southwest, and American come to mind for airlines, though some have an AF), though there are also some nice no-AF ones like Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited which come with a $150 signup bonus on $500 spend. You probably have a friend or family that can refer you to one of these, too, and they'll get a cool referral bonus for that too. Amex Everyday or Blue Cash Everyday are also good, and the Amex Offers that show up from time to time on those cards can be pretty nice.

Initio posted:

Are you sure the discover cash back match is over? I still saw it offered when I looked tonight. I was planning on applying later this month so I could get 2 years worth of bonus for amazon.

For the poster who has had the card since 2013, but never used it, yes. New customers can still get it! Make sure you sign up with a friend's referral so you can get the $50 bonus (which is unavailable any other way), which is matched after the first year for a total of a cool $100 with zero spend required. I'm coming up on the end of my first year, and while I didn't try to max it out perfectly or anything, I'm still going to get just under $300 matched next month. More if I buy an amazon or target GC this month, which I'm strongly considering! :)

edit: clarified something

astral fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

There are some cards in that range - mostly airline/hotel cards (United, Southwest, and American come to mind for airlines, though some have an AF), though there are also some nice no-AF ones like Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited which come with a $150 signup bonus on $500 spend. You probably have a friend or family that can refer you to one of these, too, and they'll get a cool referral bonus for that too. Amex Everyday or Blue Cash Everyday are also good, and the Amex Offers that show up from time to time on those cards can be pretty nice.

For the poster who has had the card since 2013, but never used it, yes. New customers can still get it! Make sure you sign up with a friend's referral so you can get the $50 bonus (which is unavailable any other way), which is matched after the first year for a total of a cool $100 with zero spend required. I'm coming up on the end of my first year, and while I didn't try to max it out perfectly or anything, I'm still going to get just under $300 matched next month. More if I buy an amazon or target GC this month, which I'm strongly considering! :)

edit: clarified something

Check earlier in the thread for a referral chain for discover it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Initio posted:

It still exists. He was saying that the guy who got the card in 2013 missed it, because it is a relatively new promotion.

They used to just have a straight cash sign-up bonus, but now you can only get a cash bonus through a referral link.

I'm guessing that Discover is trying the double cashback for a year thing to try and get people to use their card for longer and save money on people who sign up and don't use it a lot.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It still exists. He was saying that the guy who got the card in 2013 missed it, because it is a relatively new promotion.

They used to just have a straight cash sign-up bonus, but now you can only get a cash bonus through a referral link.

I'm guessing that Discover is trying the double cashback for a year thing to try and get people to use their card for longer and save money on people who sign up and don't use it a lot.

Thanks for the input. I'll give Discover a call and see if they'll get me that double cash back promotion.

On an unrelated note. I use to MS a ton when giftcardmall wasn't banning me and now I'm just trying to meet the minimum spend on two Arrival+ cards. What's the best way to hit those these days? Can I buy any gift cards in stores anywhere that can be used to get money orders at WM or the Post office? This method wasn't sustainable for 10-20K/month in spend as the fees were too high, but I'd be willing to toss a few bucks at it to get the bonuses on these.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the input. I'll give Discover a call and see if they'll get me that double cash back promotion.

On an unrelated note. I use to MS a ton when giftcardmall wasn't banning me and now I'm just trying to meet the minimum spend on two Arrival+ cards. What's the best way to hit those these days? Can I buy any gift cards in stores anywhere that can be used to get money orders at WM or the Post office? This method wasn't sustainable for 10-20K/month in spend as the fees were too high, but I'd be willing to toss a few bucks at it to get the bonuses on these.

You can open a new checking account and certain banks will allow you to fund the initial deposit with a credit card and it counts as a purchase and not a cash advance.

Plus, you can knock out a checking account bonus too sometimes.

Here's a list:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

I think PNC let's you fund up to $2,000 with a new account.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have what may or may not be a dumb question:

The Chase Freedom Unlimited card has a referral bonus of $100 for referring each friend that gets a CFU. That person also gets $150 if they spend $500 in the first 3 months. Can I invite my fiancée and we can together reap the hilariously easy benefits of $250 bonus dollars for doing this? Does it even matter if the "friend" is your spouse?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

I have what may or may not be a dumb question:

The Chase Freedom Unlimited card has a referral bonus of $100 for referring each friend that gets a CFU. That person also gets $150 if they spend $500 in the first 3 months. Can I invite my fiancée and we can together reap the hilariously easy benefits of $250 bonus dollars for doing this? Does it even matter if the "friend" is your spouse?

Yep, you can.

The referral bonus literally only looks at whether you used the link and have a SSN different that the referral card holder.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yep, you can.

The referral bonus literally only looks at whether you used the link and have a SSN different that the referral card holder.
Rad. Thanks.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Did anyone continue this? It says offer unavailable, but I'm not sure if the promo is over, or if I just need to get a new referral link.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

life is a joke posted:

Did anyone continue this? It says offer unavailable, but I'm not sure if the promo is over, or if I just need to get a new referral link.

Looks like the old links are dead and need to be regenerated.

edit: I'd guess the change is related to the new referral-application page that shows all the available cards.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Everybody who lives in CA and doesn't get hosed by the Chase 5/24 rule can get a companion pass

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/sw-companion-pass-offer-all-california-residents/

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

astral posted:

Looks like the old links are dead and need to be regenerated.

edit: I'd guess the change is related to the new referral-application page that shows all the available cards.

I followed your link and applied with it, I didn't get that same error as before and it let me proceed with the application, though it gave no indication that either you or I were getting any sort of benefit from the referral program. Here's hoping though, thanks for the link.

e: moved some unrelated stuff to newbie thread

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Everybody who lives in CA and doesn't get hosed by the Chase 5/24 rule can get a companion pass

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/sw-companion-pass-offer-all-california-residents/

Note that now Chase also has some new wording about only holding one card in the southwest card family - so, once they fully straighten out the IT involved, this might be the only simple way to get a companion pass in the future.

life is a joke posted:

I followed your link and applied with it, I didn't get that same error as before and it let me proceed with the application, though it gave no indication that either you or I were getting any sort of benefit from the referral program. Here's hoping though, thanks for the link.

e: moved some unrelated stuff to newbie thread

That's normal for Discover - by your first statement after making a purchase, it should show the $50 (and that it'll be matched to an extra $50 after your first year). Enjoy!

astral fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 20, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

astral posted:

That's normal for Discover - by your first statement after making a purchase, it should show the $50 (and that it'll be matched to an extra $50 after your first year). Enjoy!

Wonderful! Thank you friend :buddy:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

In cool credit card news, Mastercard will be ending signature requirements by April 2018!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

astral posted:

In cool credit card news, Mastercard will be ending signature requirements by April 2018!

If they're phasing out signatures to improve checkout times it seems unlikely that they'll ever mandate PINs for credit card purchases, which is a shame.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

If they're phasing out signatures to improve checkout times it seems unlikely that they'll ever mandate PINs for credit card purchases, which is a shame.

Why is this even a complaint? I don’t want another pin and I certainly don’t want CC companies to try and change he criteria for fraud because the card is now supposedly secure.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

asur posted:

Why is this even a complaint? I don’t want another pin and I certainly don’t want CC companies to try and change he criteria for fraud because the card is now supposedly secure.

Yeah, that's always been the biggest no-no for me on chip and pin - you lose all of the protections when your pin is compromised. Unless that's an urban legend?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not aware of any exception to the FCBA or EFTA for PIN-based transactions, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Editing to add: Regarding the "hassle" of using a PIN: between merchants currently waiving a signature for low-value transactions and the fact that CDCVM transactions not requiring a signature, how often would you expect to enter a PIN if implemented? It'd make US cards easier to use abroad, and eliminate high-value in-person fraud (like people buying TVs at WM with a stolen CC).

svenkatesh fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

svenkatesh posted:

I'm not aware of any exception to the FCBA or EFTA for PIN-based transactions, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Editing to add: Regarding the "hassle" of using a PIN: between merchants currently waiving a signature for low-value transactions and the fact that CDCVM transactions not requiring a signature, how often would you expect to enter a PIN if implemented? It'd make US cards easier to use abroad, and eliminate high-value in-person fraud (like people buying TVs at WM with a stolen CC).

The protection argument against chip and pin seemed to come up frequently in the past, but I can't find any information on personal liability for a stolen PIN. I imagine it would be similar to debit cards, possibly requiring a police report.

As a data point, my Barclays US card that is chip and pin only ever once asked me for the pin in Europe at an automated rail kiosk. The rest of the time it was a signature, even when a PIN would have been more convenient (all restaurants pretty much).