Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Looking back on it now, Six Feet Under is pretty much just a soap opera

Yes, but if you are comparing the quality of SFU (even at season 4) to Riverdale you lost me. Not even close.

True Blood might be the closest to Riverdale season 1. That said season 2 so far is more like last season True Blood than it’s prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So season 2 of Riverdale actually dials back on the crazy stuff? Man that's disappointing, I like the soap parts of it but I was really expecting it to get super weird

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Seems the same to me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That’s just my gut reaction to the first 2 episodes. That said I will give it the whole season before I really judge it. I was into season 1 from the first episode, this one not so far.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

So season 2 of Riverdale actually dials back on the crazy stuff? Man that's disappointing, I like the soap parts of it but I was really expecting it to get super weird

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahah no. gently caress no. Cheryl Blossom is crazier than a shithouse rat, the new drug on the streets that everyone fears and respects is "Jingle-Jangle," Archie's PTSD has him packing heat while rolling on uppers, and oh yeah, The Zodiac Killer is in town.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/moryan/status/921482313640370176

Literally the whattimeisitrightnow.com joke from Bojack

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Is 2017 the best year in TV ever? Patriot, The Leftovers, The Deuce, Handmaid's Tale, maybe Mr. Robot S3, Ken Burns Vietnam War...

And then there is the INSANE list of tier 2 shows. I don't even know where to start to list the "not quiet prestige drama but still really loving good" shows. Especially the shows that are not dramas but not 100% comedies (You're the worst etc.) are firing on all cylinders and there are SO MANY of them.

And then there are the "Super stupid but in a really fun way" shows too. Legends of Tomorrow etc.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 21, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Is 2017 the best year in the TV ever? Patriot, The Leftovers, The Deuce, Handmaid's Tale, maybe Mr. Robot S3, Ken Burns Vietnam War...

And then there is the INSANE list of tier 2 shows. I don't even know where to start to list the "not quiet prestige drama but still really loving good" shows. Especially the shows that are not dramas but not 100% comedies (You're the worst etc.) are firing on all cylinders and there are SO MANY of them.

And then there are the "Super stupid but in a really fun way" shows too. Legends of Tomorrow etc.

American Vandal could be on that list. And potentially AmGods. The Good Place S1 also partially aired in 2017 :v:. I really wanted to say Westworld too but wow that was actually entirely last year.

Yeah, the times are good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This year has also been insanely good for video games.

Shame about everything else, but hey.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would add s

Popelmon posted:

Is 2017 the best year in TV ever? Patriot, The Leftovers, The Deuce, Handmaid's Tale, maybe Mr. Robot S3, Ken Burns Vietnam War...

I would add Halt & Catch Fire and Master of None to that list of peak TV. It would be really hard to pick a best show, but it would either be Halt or Patriot for me. Also shows like GLOW and Love are right under there.

I still haven’t watched Deuce yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it creeps towards my best of once I do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

This year has also been insanely good for video games.

Shame about everything else, but hey.

It's almost as if people want to escape from the real world with quality TV and video games.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

nate fisher posted:

I would add s

I would add Halt & Catch Fire and Master of None to that list of peak TV. It would be really hard to pick a best show, but it would either be Halt or Patriot for me. Also shows like GLOW and Love are right under there.

I still haven’t watched Deuce yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it creeps towards my best of once I do.

I haven't watched Halt S4 yet, but I loved 1-3 so I wouldn't be surprised if it landed on that list. GLOW and Love were great but I would put them in that insane tier 2.

Edit: Let's start a fight: Is the final scene with Kevin and Nora the best acting on any HBO show?

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy gently caress the latest Nathan For You :stare:

Definitely one of his top 3, up there with The Hero

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

No The Americans love?? Pfft.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How you gonna say 2017 was the best year for TV and not even mention Twin Peaks? smh

Twin Peaks: The Return was, no exaggeration, one of the top 10 things I've ever seen on television in my life, maybe even top 5. I'm still thinking about it and it ended over a month ago.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How you gonna say 2017 was the best year for TV and not even mention Twin Peaks? smh

Twin Peaks: The Return was, no exaggeration, one of the top 10 things I've ever seen on television in my life, maybe even top 5. I'm still thinking about it and it ended over a month ago.

esperterra posted:

No The Americans love?? Pfft.

Proving my point. So many great shows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^^
re: twin peaks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Twin Peaks: The Return wasn't a TV show, it was an extremely long movie :)

e: yeah this year's season of The Americans was probably the best since season 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return wasn't a TV show, it was an extremely long movie :)

e: yeah this year's season of The Americans was probably the best since season 2

It was almost all set up and no payoff

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like how that can be accurate for both shows your quoted post mentions.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok thread, you’ve indirectly convinced me to watch Bosch and The Good Place and you were absolutely right about them.

What are some other good shows that are typically overlooked? I’m already planning on giving Halt & Catch Fire another shot despite disliking what I saw of the first season.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

lelandjs posted:

Ok thread, you’ve indirectly convinced me to watch Bosch and The Good Place and you were absolutely right about them.

What are some other good shows that are typically overlooked? I’m already planning on giving Halt & Catch Fire another shot despite disliking what I saw of the first season.

There are like 28 episodes of The Leftovers. Watch all of them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was almost all set up and no payoff

Nah, it was 16 episodes of setup, one episode of payoff, and then an episode of telling you that payoff was nothing and then a bunch of fans claim that if you wanted payoff you were an idiot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lelandjs posted:

Halt and Catch Fire, The Americans, and The Leftovers. Leftovers and Halt do reboots in season 2 and become better.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, it was 16 episodes of setup, one episode of payoff, and then an episode of telling you that payoff was nothing and then a bunch of fans claim that if you wanted payoff you were an idiot.

Even calling the penultimate episode "payoff" at all is quite a stretch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seeing people get mad about how new Twin Peaks ended is so much fun :allears:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
My favorite part about discussing Twin Peaks in 2017 is when people type the exact same angry words about it that were on usenet or newsgroups in the mid 90s after season 2. Not even a change to the character names.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a fair reaction, imo. I loved the entire season and especially the second hour of the finale, but I don't blame people for being upset they didn't get something more like season one, or a finale that tied more clearly to the previous 16 hours.

Though fwiw the warning signs it would be entirely different from OG Peaks were numerous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Choosing between Twin Peaks and The Leftovers for my favourite show of 2017 is legitimately going to be one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make. They're both just so loving fantastic, TP messy but with almost every episode having like 1-2 of the best scenes in television history, Leftovers a perfect end to the best show to premiere this decade, drat

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't watched Family Guy in ages but their season premiere leans into references, taking the piss out of pretty much every famous TV show.

I thought it was quite enjoyable: https://www.fox.com/watch/b8468655e40724dbc32e8651260921d7/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched Family Guy in ages but their season premiere leans into references, taking the piss out of pretty much every famous TV show.

I thought it was quite enjoyable: https://www.fox.com/watch/b8468655e40724dbc32e8651260921d7/
Hasn't that been the MO of the entire series? Although "enjoyable" isn't a word I'd use to describe it for at least the last decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That premiere is actually rear end, one of the worst Family Guys in recent memory

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there a version of Family Guy that isn't pop culture references and send up of other shows?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Is there a version of Family Guy that isn't pop culture references and send up of other shows?

The bank vault episode is pretty amazing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of the last few things South Park got right, although even this was almost a decade ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3w5CGv9gk

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Choosing between Twin Peaks and The Leftovers for my favourite show of 2017 is legitimately going to be one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make. They're both just so loving fantastic, TP messy but with almost every episode having like 1-2 of the best scenes in television history, Leftovers a perfect end to the best show to premiere this decade, drat

Hint: you pick The Leftovers, duh

Mu Zeta posted:

Halt and Catch Fire, The Americans, and The Leftovers. Leftovers and Halt do reboots in season 2 and become better.

Not really. Halt's and Leftovers' are both soft reboots and only result from stuff heavily foreshadowed/implied in the previous season up to season two's premiere. Halt's is more of a character reboot when they lean away from making a bad Mad Men but with tech clone into an ensemble piece, but otherwise it's very heavily of a piece with season one. Leftovers' does a more narrative reboot but tonally and thematically it's completely like season one.

In both cases you have to watch season one to dive into season two, neither are hard enough reboots to work without context (maybe Leftovers' can, because it shifts basically all of its narrative away, but Leftovers is so characters and arcing focused it would be a gigantic waste to watch the show like that). Just be aware if you watch Halt, and you should, that it's not the Joe show after season one and stops trying to be tech Mad Men about halfway through the first season.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 22, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

That premiere is actually rear end, one of the worst Family Guys in recent memory

It can’t be stated enough, for a show that tends to be a ** piece of entertainment at best, that episode deserves negative stars for how bad it was. It doesn’t matter whether you know the shows they’re sending up or not, it’s hot garbage.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The only defense I think Family Guy has is that Seth MacFarlane himself pretty much hates it as well and freely admits he only keeps doing it for the money. If the Orville gets another season or two I wouldn't be surprised if Family Guy dropped down to less episodes or is finally cut off. It's amazing that it's almost 20 years old at this point.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One of the last few things South Park got right, although even this was almost a decade ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3w5CGv9gk

Their critique of Family Guy is pretty rich considering their show has been knee-jerk pop culture references for over a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The sexiest show on TV is back

Good Behavior season 2 started on monday, good stuff!

• Locked thread